PDA

View Full Version : Maggie Wolfendale-Morley

EMD4ME
08-14-2015, 01:37 PM
I overall LOVE Maggie's insights but I loved the info she acquired for the second at the SPA today.

She said Anna Rae was named after Englehart's daughter, who coincidentally has her birthday today.

There is no way Englehart didn't enter this horse knowing he would give his daughter a very nice birthday present!!

She dominated at 9/2.

Liked her to begin with but the Maggie info made the intent obvious.

Out of all paddock people at various tracks, she is miles the best. More importantly, she's honest.

ebcorde
08-14-2015, 01:49 PM
I overall LOVE Maggie's insights but I loved the info she acquired for the second at the SPA today.

She said Anna Rae was named after Englehart's daughter, who coincidentally has her birthday today.

There is no way Englehart didn't enter this horse knowing he would give his daughter a very nice birthday present!!

She dominated at 9/2.

Out of all paddock people at various tracks, she is miles the best. More importantly, she's honest.

forget all that. She's 2x better looking in person too. in fact she was so hot. I honestly did not recognize her for a full minute or two. Seriously I was a at Parx last year for California Chrome race, and she was in the Paddock that day. It took me a minute or two to realize it was her. I was 10 feet from her. Had no idea it was her, that's how much better she looks in person. And everyone from the guys walking the horses, to the owners and crowd were checking her out. which was kinda funny, to watch guys steal glances. she's hot from head to toe.

EMD4ME
08-14-2015, 01:51 PM
forget all that. She's 2x better looking in person too. in fact she was so hot. I honestly did not recognize her for a full minute or two. Seriously I was a at Parx last year for California Chrome race, and she was in the Paddock that day. It took me a minute or two to realize it was her. I was 10 feet from her. Had no idea it was her, that's how much better she looks in person. And everyone from the guys walking the horses, to the owners and crowd were checking her out. which was kinda funny, to watch guys steal glances. she's hot from head to toe.

Ya know, I didn't mention that as I have seen her in person ever since she came to NYRA a few years back. I even parked next to her (By pure coincidence LOL). So, I'm used to seeing her in person.

LottaKash
08-14-2015, 03:56 PM

She dominated at 9/2.

Nice angle for the day.....Wish I was alert to it...A logical "hunch"... :jump:

EMD4ME
08-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Nice angle for the day.....Wish I was alert to it...A logical "hunch"... :jump:

That's the insider knowledge I want :jump: :jump: :jump:

thespaah
08-14-2015, 11:44 PM
I have come to realize that anyone on here who has anything remotely negative to say about Maggie gets flamed.
Well, I think she has good insight, knows confirmation and reads horse's attitudes and mannerisms better than any Paddock host NYRA has had, there is one glaring flaw. Her delivery. She tends to get wordy and loses her train of thought. I realize her time on the mic is limited and that makes it difficult to convey all the information she has prepared, but I would like to see her take some public speaking courses or at least get with a speech coach....

EMD4ME
08-14-2015, 11:48 PM
I have come to realize that anyone on here who has anything remotely negative to say about Maggie gets flamed.
Well, I think she has good insight, knows confirmation and reads horse's attitudes and mannerisms better than any Paddock host NYRA has had, there is one glaring flaw. Her delivery. She tends to get wordy and loses her train of thought. I realize her time on the mic is limited and that makes it difficult to convey all the information she has prepared, but I would like to see her take some public speaking courses or at least get with a speech coach....

I hear you. I don't have a problem with her delivery too much because I read into it. If she stutters and hesitates I take that as her not being sure about the horse or the opinion of the horse she's speaking of.

She is unbelievably consistent with her job though and I love it. She said, a year ago, that the 10 horse in today's finale is a Turfer and a Router. I took note of that last year. The horse ran in 3 dirt sprints and off a layoff came back in a Turf Route. She said it again before today's 10th, the 10 is a Turf Router.

I had the horse singled in picks. He paid $12.

I usually hear these paddock people talking horse shit. Not her, she's damn good.

Spiderman
08-15-2015, 06:13 AM
The, 'kids in the paddock' angle is something worth noticing. Especially, if the kids are at track on a school day.

Robert Fischer
08-15-2015, 10:52 AM
Maggie is sharp, and NYRA's presentation is the best in the US.

(I've started working Del Mar for extra plays, and their presentation feels like they're selling me something.)

Maggie is also a very sharp handicapper. At times that knowledge of the form can be a double-edged sword. She can extend her knowledge to give you deeper info, but occasionally it will shape her paddock insights. I try to keep that in mind when listening to her.

I am fairly strong at physicality, and she mentions a lot of things that I haven't noticed, or can't see from my vantage point.

Chaka26
08-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Ive only seen her a few times but
Could it be shes Losing her train of thought because someone is chiming in her ear piece while shes trying to commentate?
Like being on the phone and someone yapping at you simulatenously

thespaah
08-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Ive only seen her a few times but
Could it be shes Losing her train of thought because someone is chiming in her ear piece while shes trying to commentate?
Like being on the phone and someone yapping at you simulatenously
Possible.
My thinking is she has prepared a summary of the horses she wants to talk about, but just does not have that polished delivery.
As I stated a visit or several with a speech coach would work wonders.
BTW, she called the winner of the 1st today. And what I like best about her insight is she states why she likes a certain horse or horses.

Secondbest
08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
She didn't like the favorite in the eigth and she was right

Secondbest
08-15-2015, 06:21 PM
Maggie liked the 10 in the ninth.Ran second paid 10.40 to place.

bello
08-15-2015, 11:51 PM
Always been a big fan from fer Colonial days. Every year I hit the spa with a bunch of buddys who are track novices. We have a reunion there every year and I told them to listen to Maggie for the best advice. We are out there carrying on and getting drunk, but when Maggie comes on, it's off to the nearest loudspeaker. But the greatest part and why she is such a great personality, is these 50-60 year old drunk guys start screaming at her and thanking her for the advice and she is all smiles and cordial right back. She not only understands horses more than most, but also people.

As far as the stuttering and stammering, its who she is. Doesn't bother me a bit. Great find by Nyra.

I didn't realize she married Tom Morley though.

BMustang
08-16-2015, 12:01 AM
I think she adds a dimension that we don't enjoy at most tracks.

Her knowledge of confirmation and maturity, along with remembering what the horse looked like and acted last time out are invaluable.

I think she is excellent and a valuable asset. I only wish she stayed with those factors and away from the handicapping arena which she has delved into more this year than I remember her doing in the past.

cato
08-16-2015, 03:57 AM
Her analysis is fantastic and her delivery is excellent. I'm glad she does not present the information in a robotic way.

lamboguy
08-16-2015, 04:21 AM
Maggie is tremendous, i also want to point out Gabby from Laurel, she is a real hidden gem that is a one man show on her job.

Canarsie
08-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Every compliment stated about Maggie is spot on and well deserved.

But lets also give KUDOS to the guy who hired her and has assembled quite a team for NYRA. The entire NYRA video crew could go head to head and toe to toe with any national broadcast team on their home turf.

I think the guys first name on here is Andy :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

bello
08-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Every compliment stated about Maggie is spot on and well deserved.

But lets also give KUDOS to the guy who hired her and has assembled quite a team for NYRA. The entire NYRA video crew could go head to head and toe to toe with any national broadcast team on their home turf.

I think the guys first name on here is Andy :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
No doubt...I have had my complaints about the Big A and the lack of early speed competition at NYRA ( which is clearly not as bad at the spa meet). But this years Saratoga presentation, from the pre-race banter with Andy, Mike and Jason, straight through the paddock camerawork, to the race and winners circle. Makes you feel as close to being there as possible!

lamboguy
08-17-2015, 01:14 PM
No doubt...I have had my complaints about the Big A and the lack of early speed competition at NYRA ( which is clearly not as bad at the spa meet). But this years Saratoga presentation, from the pre-race banter with Andy, Mike and Jason, straight through the paddock camerawork, to the race and winners circle. Makes you feel as close to being there as possible!this year the riders are going all out, the horses are good and the show is great. i wish i was there myself!

Stillriledup
08-17-2015, 03:09 PM
Maggie saying the 4 horse had short pull-up in sales work. Championofnile in 5th today.

nijinski
08-17-2015, 09:53 PM
Talk about conformation, Charlsey Cantey nailed this. Besides being the wife of Joe Cantey , she did her share of excercising the horses in the am. she also worked with David Whitely"s barn . she was excellent on sizing up the field .i had heard though that not all trainers were happy with their secrets out in the open so I believe Charlsie had her challenges when she was an analyst. as Donna Brothers said , she was public with horse racing before there were even that many women on the backstretch and paved the way for all those that followed., including Wolfendale.

Tor Ekman
08-29-2015, 03:55 PM
In the Kings Bishop, had the pick 3 live to Holy Boss and Mr Z, TVG cut to Maggie who said she likes looks of Grand Billi and Runhappy, both going off at long odds, put saver bets on each and cashed nice one with Runhappy paying $24.60. Ignore her at your peril.

magwell
08-29-2015, 04:12 PM
She has a excellent opinion, as she also showed yesterday in the 6th with the 1 "table for six" a first time starter ........:cool:

mountainman
08-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Talk about conformation, Charlsey Cantey nailed this. Besides being the wife of Joe Cantey , she did her share of excercising the horses in the am. she also worked with David Whitely"s barn . she was excellent on sizing up the field .i had heard though that not all trainers were happy with their secrets out in the open so I believe Charlsie had her challenges when she was an analyst. as Donna Brothers said , she was public with horse racing before there were even that many women on the backstretch and paved the way for all those that followed., including Wolfendale.

Short of pure, unadulterated, gushing praise, no trainer likes ANYTHING an analyst says about them or their horses.

Believe it or not, a lower echelon horseman once took exception to my remarking that he'd done a good job with mediocre stock. When I assured him that such blunt critique of animals he'd won races with could only reflect well on his training, the guy replied: "I'd rather you said I'm a great horseman AND have great stock."

Welcome to the wonderful world of handicapping commentary.

EMD4ME
09-10-2015, 08:01 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/new-york-superwoman-wolfendale-wears-many-hats/

A wonderful write up for a top notch talent.

iceknight
09-10-2015, 08:11 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/new-york-superwoman-wolfendale-wears-many-hats/

A wonderful write up for a top notch talent. :ThmbUp:

"She said she does get nervous when a Morley horse runs and exuberant when they win, but she’s been discouraged by NYRA from making an appearance in the winner’s circle, which disappoints her. It’s one of the trade-offs that comes with being the paddock analyst, a job that Wolfendale has been aiming for since she was a child."

There's a clip associated with it too - https://youtu.be/8u8kYUragLc

thespaah
09-10-2015, 08:54 PM
Short of pure, unadulterated, gushing praise, no trainer likes ANYTHING an analyst says about them or their horses.

Believe it or not, a lower echelon horseman once took exception to my remarking that he'd done a good job with mediocre stock. When I assured him that such blunt critique of animals he'd won races with could only reflect well on his training, the guy replied: "I'd rather you said I'm a great horseman AND have great stock."

Welcome to the wonderful world of handicapping commentary.
My response to that guy would have been..."Thanks for your input"...
Then as I walk away mutter under my breath..."ef you...I'll be here well after you go out of business. You common nickel training spit box licker"....
Ok.....so that was a bit harsh....Seriously though..Who'd that guy think he was? D Wayne Lukas?

classhandicapper
09-11-2015, 08:58 AM
I have trip notes, bias notes, speed, pace, and class figures, replays, trainer stats etc... What I don't have is notes on changes in physical appearance and any insights into conformation. The thing that makes her "value added" is that she has the information and a skill that most people don't have. IMO, she should be given more time.

chadk66
09-11-2015, 09:05 AM
this thread is worthless without pictures

Tom
09-11-2015, 09:12 AM

Of Maggie? :blush::cool:

OTM Al
09-11-2015, 09:31 AM

This comment is repulsive. This thread has nothing to do with what a person looks like but the quality of what they bring. Your comment says she serves no purpose but to look good. Even if I didn't know her, which I do, I'd think you are a complete jerk.

no breathalyzer
09-11-2015, 12:41 PM
maybe it was just a poor way to say she is easy on the eyes. give him a mulligan .. but you are rite really has nothing to do with the topic

iceknight
09-11-2015, 12:52 PM
Slightly offtopic but slightly related.. speaking of ladies in this sport - I really admire Charlsie Cantey's voice and delivery style. of course, all of it learnt from replays on youtube, as I didnt start watching ponies till 2011? (Shackleford Preakness was my first race).

Not trying to hijack this thread but having read how Maggie isnt able to be in the winner's circle pictures, I had to share this link to revel in some nostalgia: http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20077119,00.html

OTM Al
09-11-2015, 01:03 PM
maybe it was just a poor way to say she is easy on the eyes. give him a mulligan .. but you are rite really has nothing to do with the topic

Can't do that because intended or not this is an outright sexist comment in the context it was delivered in. Read it again. "this thread is worthless without pictures". In other words, her skills and information she is giving means nothing if she is not "easy on the eyes". Total crap.

bello
09-11-2015, 01:11 PM
Can't do that because intended or not this is an outright sexist comment in the context it was delivered in. Read it again. "this thread is worthless without pictures". In other words, her skills and information she is giving means nothing if she is not "easy on the eyes". Total crap.
I take it your not a Trump supporter!

cbp
09-11-2015, 01:14 PM
I take it your not a Trump supporter!

Back in the day, a 'suckup'.

bello
09-11-2015, 01:20 PM
Back in the day, a 'suckup'.

What are you talking about?

Must be a full moon out somewhere

cbp
09-11-2015, 01:29 PM
What are you talking about?

Must be a full moon out somewhere
This from someone with the handle 'bello'. I laughed

bello
09-11-2015, 02:47 PM
You must know more about the history of the name Bello than I do.

I took the name from my Italian Greyhound whose was named after Bello Nock, the clown. Italian Greyhounds are given Italian names and the dog was a little clown.

There you have it, that is all I know about Bello and any history. I hope I left out any more innuendos, but if I didn't, have at it.

I need to get back to Maggie for race 5 at Belmont.

iceknight
09-11-2015, 03:22 PM
The comment in this case is one where he appears to not acknowledge the intelligence, hard work and talent exhibited by Maggie. Unfortunately one-off remarks like this also might end up building a perception of him (th vommenter) which may not be the true picture. Sometimes it is just a generational issue.

OTM Al
09-11-2015, 04:32 PM
The comment in this case is one where he appears to not acknowledge the intelligence, hard work and talent exhibited by Maggie. Unfortunately one-off remarks like this also might end up building a perception of him (th vommenter) which may not be the true picture. Sometimes it is just a generational issue.

Not good enough. Not even close. Wrong then and wrong now. Don't make excuses for stuff like this. Would it be ok for the same person to beat his wife or drive drunk today because in his "generation" people just looked the other way?

ultracapper
09-11-2015, 04:59 PM
Wow!!!! Sensitivity overload.

cj
09-11-2015, 05:10 PM
Wow!!!! Sensitivity overload.

Really? Seems like Al is pretty spot on. It was way over the top.

iceknight
09-11-2015, 05:15 PM
Not good enough. Not even close. Wrong then and wrong now. Don't make excuses for stuff like this. Would it be ok for the same person to beat his wife or drive drunk today because in his "generation" people just looked the other way?
You were absolutely right in calling his comment out and I support that.
One comment does not define an entire person though and that is a frequent mistake we fall into while judging others.

OTM Al
09-11-2015, 06:11 PM
You were absolutely right in calling his comment out and I support that.
One comment does not define an entire person though and that is a frequent mistake we fall into while judging others.
You are right about this. However, these things have to be called out and the true mark of that person is how they respond. Otherwise if we say nothing, we become complicit in the bad behavior.

Stillriledup
09-11-2015, 06:22 PM
You are right about this. However, these things have to be called out and the true mark of that person is how they respond. Otherwise if we say nothing, we become complicit in the bad behavior.

Good job calling that out, Theres a lot of chauvinists in horse racing, women who work in the game need to be treated as equals, in fact, Maggie is as good or better than anyone else at what she does, good for you to send a message like that.

horses4courses
09-11-2015, 08:04 PM
I have both applauded, and benefited from, this woman's
fine work for the NYRA broadcasts for some time now.

She has a gifted eye for spotting fitness and conformation,
and I always hope she's reporting - especially with maidens
and layoff horses.
Very often, too, her observations concern horses at a price.

I have told handicapper friends of mine about her.
Some listen, but most are creatures of habit.
Chauvinism plays a role, I believe.
If the paddock reports were coming from a man
it's likely that more men would take notice.
They are used to the "eye candy" factor at most tracks.
The direct result of marketing tactics in the world we live in.

That is to their loss, and my own personal gain, on occasion.
Maggie Wolfendale-Morley does a fantastic job.
I hope she continues in that role for a long time to come. :ThmbUp:

iceknight
09-11-2015, 09:08 PM
You are right about this. However, these things have to be called out and the true mark of that person is how they respond. Otherwise if we say nothing, we become complicit in the bad behavior.Yes you are right. :ThmbUp:

thespaah
09-11-2015, 09:15 PM
Good job calling that out, Theres a lot of chauvinists in horse racing, women who work in the game need to be treated as equals, in fact, Maggie is as good or better than anyone else at what she does, good for you to send a message like that.
There are. And I think it very possible there are trainers that still to this day would not ride a female jockey. Nor would they hire a female assistant trainer.

thespaah
09-11-2015, 09:19 PM
I have both applauded, and benefited from, this woman's
fine work for the NYRA broadcasts for some time now.

She has a gifted eye for spotting fitness and conformation,
and I always hope she's reporting - especially with maidens
and layoff horses.
Very often, too, her observations concern horses at a price.

I have told handicapper friends of mine about her.
Some listen, but most are creatures of habit.
Chauvinism plays a role, I believe.
If the paddock reports were coming from a man
it's likely that more men would take notice.
They are used to the "eye candy" factor at most tracks.
The direct result of marketing tactics in the world we live in.

That is to their loss, and my own personal gain, on occasion.
Maggie Wolfendale-Morley does a fantastic job.
I hope she continues in that role for a long time to come. :ThmbUp:
She brings to handicapping another element not usually prominent..

garyscpa
09-11-2015, 10:26 PM

It would be like saying someone is a reprehensible person and then saying, "but I'm not going to say why because I'm not that kind of person."

garyscpa
09-11-2015, 10:31 PM
Anyway, "This thread is worthless without pic's" is common message board lingo. I'm pretty sure Chad was merely complimenting Maggie in what he meant to be a humorous way, and some chose to take it wrong and blow it out of proportion.

Stillriledup
09-11-2015, 11:36 PM
There are. And I think it very possible there are trainers that still to this day would not ride a female jockey. Nor would they hire a female assistant trainer.

No doubt.
Julie krone really changed a lot of perception about women in this game, not just for jocks but for any woman who is in the sport in any capacity. Men who just figured women can't be successful had their eyes opened a bit, and most recently Rosie carried the torch being a lot better than most men.

ultracapper
09-11-2015, 11:51 PM
"this thread is worthless without pictures"

Sure, it's snide, and sure, we all know where he's going with that, but to crucify the guy for it? I kind of took it as tongue in cheek with a little wink wink. Kind of man cave kind of stuff. I'd hope he's not condoning blatant sexualization of the gal. I didn't take it that way anyhow.

Oh well, maybe I need some sensitivity courses also. I sure hate it when I see those firemen calendars, so maybe I'm not that bad either. I don't know, maybe I'm confused.

ultracapper
09-11-2015, 11:54 PM
Just saw your response garyscpa. You and me can PM each other and talk dirty about the old Farrah posters I had on the wall when I was 14. Boy, she sure made a lot of money off those. I hope she wasn't offended and just sold out on herself.

OTM Al
09-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Anyway, "This thread is worthless without pic's" is common message board lingo. I'm pretty sure Chad was merely complimenting Maggie in what he meant to be a humorous way, and some chose to take it wrong and blow it out of proportion.
This is an excuse. This is the reason bad behavior like this continues. There is no place a comment like this should be considered acceptable. If you think this is humorous, why don't you go to your wife/daughter/mother/female coworker and tell her that what she does in life only has meaning, or doesn't, because the way she looks. See what kind of reaction you get and then report back to us.

garyscpa
09-12-2015, 08:45 AM
It wasn't bad behavior and it wasn't unacceptable. You're just the type of person who tries to make himself look better by putting down others.

OTM Al
09-12-2015, 08:59 AM
It wasn't bad behavior and it wasn't unacceptable. You're just the type of person who tries to make himself look better by putting down others.

Fine, you want to attack me now instead, go ahead. Try to change the subject. This thread was about the quality of work an individual brings to her job. Someone here says that it is all worthless without what she looks like. Unacceptable. If you don't think this was a blatant sexist comment then back it up. Show me one comment on this board that says Andy Serling's work is worthless without what he looks like. Show me one thread that relates Andy's looks to his job. Or any other male handicapper, jockey, trainer or owner. Been around here a while and never seen one.

garyscpa
09-12-2015, 09:09 AM
Fine, you want to attack me now instead, go ahead. Try to change the subject. This thread was about the quality of work an individual brings to her job. Someone here says that it is all worthless without what she looks like. Unacceptable. If you don't think this was a blatant sexist comment then back it up. Show me one comment on this board that says Andy Serling's work is worthless without what he looks like. Show me one thread that relates Andy's looks to his job. Or any other male handicapper, jockey, trainer or owner. Been around here a while and never seen one.

I'm attacking you because you were the one who over-reacted. Also, read the second post in this thread. Also, read the Sam the Bugler thread.

OTM Al
09-12-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm attacking you because you were the one who over-reacted. Also, read the second post in this thread. Also, read the Sam the Bugler thread.
The person in the second post is pretty juvenile. However he didn't say that everything else was worthless without a picture.

Not sure what the Sam thread has to do with anything here. I also know Sam. I also know a lot of stuff Sam has done that you do not. His actions have been disgusting and I said so. I am not airing that stuff here and I do hope he can straighten his life out and that the stuff he did was because of the issues he has. I will never like him though.

If you think this is over reaction, do what I said. Go and tell the women in your life that what the do means nothing without the way they look. See if what you get is an overreaction.

garyscpa
09-12-2015, 09:51 AM
The person in the second post is pretty juvenile. However he didn't say that everything else was worthless without a picture.

Not sure what the Sam thread has to do with anything here. I also know Sam. I also know a lot of stuff Sam has done that you do not. His actions have been disgusting and I said so. I am not airing that stuff here and I do hope he can straighten his life out and that the stuff he did was because of the issues he has. I will never like him though.

If you think this is over reaction, do what I said. Go and tell the women in your life that what the do means nothing without the way they look. See if what you get is an overreaction.

Either say what you know about Sam or don't say anything.

I don't think Chad meant anything bad, he was just throwing in a joke and you misunderstood.

OTM Al
09-12-2015, 09:54 AM

I don't think Chad meant anything bad, he was just throwing in a joke and you misunderstood.
This isn't about Sam so drop it.

I agree he was making a joke. It was way over the line and indefensible.

garyscpa
09-12-2015, 10:10 AM
I give up. :bang:

bello
09-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Race 4 at Belmont just now

" #5 Sail Away, I knew Shug had some 2 year olds which was not quite ready for their debut, looks much more fit today"

Where else can we get that kind of last minute feedback? Who else has such copious body language and fitness notes.

Maggie is the greatest. Glad to see virtually everyone on this thread agrees.

Stillriledup
09-12-2015, 02:57 PM

Al might have been a little sensitive, but I disagree that it was a joke because if its a joke you use different punctuation or something else, you make sure everyone knows its a joke and he didnt do that, also, if you're bad at jokes, don't tell them and if you're inherently not a funny person, don't try and be funny, not everyone has to have a sense of humor all the time, if he wanted pics of Maggie he could have gone to google images, there is plenty up there. Also, if he's the one asking for pics so a 'worthless' thread can become worthy, what was stopping him from being a positive contributor and posting pics himself? Why ask us to do it?

ultracapper
09-12-2015, 04:05 PM
This is an excuse. This is the reason bad behavior like this continues. There is no place a comment like this should be considered acceptable. If you think this is humorous, why don't you go to your wife/daughter/mother/female coworker and tell her that what she does in life only has meaning, or doesn't, because the way she looks. See what kind of reaction you get and then report back to us.

You think you might be reading too much into his remark? Yeah, he was probably trying to be cutesy. Yeah, he was probably trying to be clever, and usually that stuff backfires, but do you really think he was saying all that with that comment? When ever somebody makes note of an attractive lady, the only value he sees in her is her looks?

This is silly. Maggie's a good looking gal. She's also very good at her job. I'm sure she has an appreciation for both, and doesn't mind a compliment for either/or. I'll check out now on this one and go back to my neandrathal life.

mountainman
09-12-2015, 04:06 PM
With all respect to offended parties, let's give the man a mulligan. C'mon guys, who here hasn't stuck a foot (or keyboard) in his mouth?

That's just my opinion, and I probably should have minded my own business.

OTM Al
09-12-2015, 04:23 PM
You think you might be reading too much into his remark? Yeah, he was probably trying to be cutesy. Yeah, he was probably trying to be clever, and usually that stuff backfires, but do you really think he was saying all that with that comment? When ever somebody makes note of an attractive lady, the only value he sees in her is her looks?

This is silly. Maggie's a good looking gal. She's also very good at her job. I'm sure she has an appreciation for both, and doesn't mind a compliment for either/or. I'll check out now on this one and go back to my neandrathal life.
No, I'm reading just what it says. I'm also reading just what you are saying.

Maggie's a good looking gal. She's also very good at her job.

Interesting you put it that way, but quite consistent with your position I must say.

OTM Al
09-12-2015, 04:25 PM
With all respect to offended parties, let's give the man a mulligan. C'mon guys, who here hasn't stuck a foot (or keyboard) in his mouth?

That's just my opinion, and I probably should have minded my own business.
Don't watch Mountaineer but don't you have a female cohost? Why don't you ask her what she thinks and if she'd like to be judged in this way and get back to us.

no breathalyzer
09-12-2015, 04:37 PM
ok here's my 2 cents.... you made you're point. you are at the point of over kill. and the message is gonna be over looked at this rate. He was wrong lets move on.

mountainman
09-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Don't watch Mountaineer but don't you have a female cohost? Why don't you ask her what she thinks and if she'd like to be judged in this way and get back to us.

No. I've given my complete take. I'll let my post stand and speak for itself. And it's my final word on the matter. Be well and have a good day wagering. And I'd be honored if you went to the trouble sometime of tuning Mountaineer in.

chadk66
09-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Of Maggie? :blush::cool:yes. but keep it quiet, there will be some offended by this so we don't want them to know

chadk66
09-12-2015, 07:11 PM
this thread is priceless. I had no idea men could be so sensitive about something. this must be what people are referring to when they refer to the wussification of america. :D

Hoofless_Wonder
09-12-2015, 07:28 PM
this thread is priceless. I had no idea men could be so sensitive about something. this must be what people are referring to when they refer to the wussification of america. :D

Couldn't agree more. The only "indefensible" comment in this thread is OTM Al somehow equating your comment to violence against women. He needs to see a psychiatrist and be treated for "knight in shining armor coming to defense of damsel in distress" syndrome. And while visiting with the doc, get a referral to a proctologist to have that stick up his ass removed.

Some people just don't have a sense of humor.

chadk66
09-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Maybe I have Trumpenosis:confused:

NorCalGreg
09-12-2015, 07:43 PM

She dominated at 9/2.

That's pretty sweet when you luck into some little tidbit of info like that about the trainer's daughter, and it turns into a nice $11 payoff.
Anyway....I really didn't know the forum "mountainman" was the actual guy with Nancy doing the picks. If I had to post my picks live, 5 days a week on TV.... I'd have to hide out :blush:
Sammy's gonna hoist a few in your honor goat-man....he'll see ya at the club tonight! --later dudes
--NCG

ultracapper
09-13-2015, 04:33 AM
No, I'm reading just what it says. I'm also reading just what you are saying.

Maggie's a good looking gal. She's also very good at her job.

Interesting you put it that way, but quite consistent with your position I must say.

Geez, my bad. Maggie is very good at her job. She also happens to be very attractive.

There.

ultracapper
09-13-2015, 04:41 AM
I don't know why this just came to mind, but it's kind of funny in the context we've taken this discussion.

If you all remember the show "Happy Days", you'll remember the guys always brought their dates up to make out point. They'd pan through the row of cars, showing couples making out, car after car. Then they'd stop at Richie's, and he'd be leaning up against the driver's door, and his girl would be sitting in the passenger seat chewing gum. And he'd be saying "I want you to know I respect you and think you're a very smart girl". Then the girl would just look at him kind of funny, and then jump him.

Stillriledup
09-13-2015, 04:55 AM
I don't know why this just came to mind, but it's kind of funny in the context we've taken this discussion.

If you all remember the show "Happy Days", you'll remember the guys always brought their dates up to make out point. They'd pan through the row of cars, showing couples making out, car after car. Then they'd stop at Richie's, and he'd be leaning up against the driver's door, and his girl would be sitting in the passenger seat chewing gum. And he'd be saying "I want you to know I respect you and think you're a very smart girl". Then the girl would just look at him kind of funny, and then jump him.

He found his thrill.

On Blueberry hill.

classhandicapper
09-13-2015, 09:45 AM
Maybe this thread should be moved to off topic? ;)

We fight about stuff like his all the time over there.

thespaah
09-13-2015, 02:17 PM

Preface...The following is not directed at any individual member of PA. Not is it intended to call out any PA Member....
I just think our society in general has its "offense radar" on it most intense setting...
It's rally exhausting how we have allowed the speech and thought police to gain a foothold...
For example, some of the best and funniest comedians have excluded certain venues, mainly college campuses from their list of tour stops because there are these small but vocal people who have ZERO sense of humor and have no interest in seeing the Act, but are there to protest because they are "offended"....
Someone please find for me where in the US Constitution we have a right to not be offended.....Just sick of it.....

thespaah
09-13-2015, 02:19 PM
The thing I find most irritating is that once this thread went off the rails, I had this silly notion that perhaps Maggie would have been told of all the compliments PA members had for her and she might be so inclined to post here.
I think that possibility no longer exists......

chadk66
09-14-2015, 09:20 AM
being offended has become the new fad in this country. it's insanity.

OTM Al
09-14-2015, 09:43 AM
Preface...The following is not directed at any individual member of PA. Not is it intended to call out any PA Member....
I just think our society in general has its "offense radar" on it most intense setting...
It's rally exhausting how we have allowed the speech and thought police to gain a foothold...
For example, some of the best and funniest comedians have excluded certain venues, mainly college campuses from their list of tour stops because there are these small but vocal people who have ZERO sense of humor and have no interest in seeing the Act, but are there to protest because they are "offended"....
Someone please find for me where in the US Constitution we have a right to not be offended.....Just sick of it.....

I was going to step out because the point was made and there is no way I'm going to change anyone's mind. This is however a ridiculous statement. I don't care what anyone thinks. Think what you want. But this wasn't comedy. This was about a demeaning statement made about someone who didn't deserve it. A person made a conscious effort to write this statement, hit post, and not look back. Didn't even bother to explain why he said what he said. It was absolutely intentional. It was also absolutely wrong.

This was a discussion about the abilities of an individual. Then the comment was made that such discussion was worthless without a picture. And one after another made excuses. One of them even decided to write about an example from a lame TV show in which he evidently learned the only time to tell a woman she is smart and has something to offer is when you want to have sex with her. Another likened it to a pinup picture. You think that's right? You think that is treating another person like a fellow human being? You want to argue about the Constitution? What the hell does that even have to do with anything? You want to argue about comedians? This guy isn't one, so what's your point?

Or are you just offended? Well, according to your own argument, tough.

iceknight
09-14-2015, 11:05 AM
being offended has become the new fad in this country. it's insanity.
No. Fact is you made an uncalled for remark and you haven't been man enough to own up for its lack of class, that's the gist of the matter. I'm not going to extrapolate beyond that though.

cj
09-14-2015, 11:16 AM
No. Fact is you made an uncalled for remark and you haven't been man enough to own up for its lack of class, that's the gist of the matter. I'm not going to extrapolate beyond that though.

That about says it all, time to close the thread.