PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Friday, August 14

Teach
08-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Race One:

File this away: :6: Rockford is my upset, value-try in this claiming sprint. I just don’t see that much in this race. I liked the other half of the entry, but he’s declared. I think this race begs for a closer. This Hard Rock Ten-bred gelding has been racing routes. The turn-back may well do wonders. If the speed ties up, then I believe this Chris Englehart trainee can get his picture taken. The gelding is one-for-one at the distance; he’s certainly faced better.

Others: :3: , :1: , :4:

Race Two:

:11: Benny’s Compass gets my nod as a medium-priced upset choice in this claiming sprint. It’s the Rice famiglia: brother, Kevin, the trainer; father, Clyde, the owner; and daughter-jockey, Taylor, in the irons. The only member missing is Linda, and she trains another horse in the race. Well, this Benny the Bull-bred filly drops out of the MSWs and is now in for “a tag”. This filly’s first race at Presque Isle was a decent one; yet, she ran out of gas as the chalk in her second effort. This 2-year-old chestnut filly’s morning works have been both good and consistent.

Others: :1: , :10: , :4:

Race Three:

:4: In Haste is my pick in this claiming sprint n3L. This 5-year-old A.P. Indy-bred mare has been facing much better. In her last effort, earlier in the month, she finished fourth as a 5-to-2 shot at DP. Any slight improvement would put this David Jacobson trainee in the winner’s circle. Cornelio Velasquez rides.

Others: :3: , :8: , :7:

Race Four:

:1: Tiz A Chance is my pick in this MSW turf sprint. This Tiznow-bred colt should be closing in the final stages of this 5 and ½ furlongs event. My only gnawing concern is that this colt may need a bit more real estate. Jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. will need to be alert to put this Storm Cat-bred into contention early enough to garner all the enchiladas.

Others: :9: , :8: , :7:

Race Five:

:5: Bella Joy is my selection in this MSW route on the lawn. This Kitten’s Joy-bred should appreciate the one-panel stretch-out. The filly’s trainer, Lon Wiggins, does reasonably well when conditioning horses that go from a sprint to a route. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride.

Others: :7: , :9: , :8:

Race Six:

In this claiming route, I’m going with an upset try, :8: Frost Jordan. This 4-year-old Giant’s Causeway-bred chestnut colt faced better in his last. This colt certainly fits; he’s hit the tote in nine out of fifteen lifetime tries. Eric Cancel reprises the ride for trainer Nick Esler.

Others: :7: , :6: ,

Race Seven:

In this claiming turf route n3L, I’m picking :10: Ramble. It’s the hot as a petardo, “The Hall of Famer,” Johnny V, in the irons for trainer Tony Dutrow. The Pulpit-bred has faced better in the past. The filly should enjoy this caliber of racing company. She’s hit the tote in four out of five turf tries.

Others: :8: , :9: , :3:

Race Eight:

In this allowance route for New York State-breds, I’m choosing :7: Conquest Superstep. This Maria Mon-bred filly has been the model of consistency; she’s hit the tote in all four of her recent starts. The filly’s now going turf-to-dirt for trainer Mark Casse (admittedly, not having a stellar meet). I like that “t-to-d” angle. "The Jamaican Sensation," Shaun Bridgmohan, is in the irons.

Others: :2: , :4: , :6:

Race Nine:

In the Grade II, Lake Placid, to be contested over the distance of nine panels on the turf, my pick in this highly-contested race is a bit of a longshot try: :2: Heath. This New York State-bred has won two of her last three races (she finished second in the other, her most recent star, the 200k Wild Again at Belmont in late May. The Hall-of-Fame trainer, Bill Mott, is the filly’s conditioner.

Others: :3: , :5:

Race Ten:

In the tenth and final race on today’s card my pick is :2: Sauvignon (I’m tempted to say Blanc). Anyway, this Shakespeare-bred filly is stretching out a panel in this turf route. That should help. This New York State-bred fits nicely in this state-bred field. Joel Rosario is in the irons for trainer Tom Morley.

Others: :7: , :9: , :6: