PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Printer Setup

upthecreek
08-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Today Comcast was out and installed a new wireless gateway Now i dont have a printer My desktop is connected to the router with a cable( no longer wireless) And i cant print from my wireless devices
1) How can i set it up to print from my desktop Do i need to run an ethernet cable from the gateway to the printer or from the desktop to the printer?
2)How do i get the wireless devices to connect?
I have an Epson WF 2540
Thanks

wilderness
08-13-2015, 03:50 PM
It should be just a matter of configuring your new Comcast router/Gateway.
Start with the manual and Model #

upthecreek
08-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Can't send something from a hardwired desktop w/o some kind of wired connection I think I need to go from the router to the lan port on my printer
If any body has a clue let me know Thnx!!pair

wilderness
08-13-2015, 04:15 PM
Start with the manual and Model # ???

It's impossible to imagine that any internet service provider in this present-day-age would install a router that lacks the capability for wireless devices.

upthecreek
08-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Your missing the point
Router is hardwired to desktop o need to get the desktop to the printer I'm using the wireless router to type this I just have to run the Epson setup CD to get the printer to print wirelessly but doesn't solve my desktop issue I was previously connected to the. Desktop wirelessly too ,so the printer was too I need to get the router to the printer( i think)

wilderness
08-13-2015, 04:33 PM
All routers are hard-wired to desktop (i. e.., computer)!!!!

from XP help files (search your own OS help files)
To enable file and printer sharing using the Network Setup Wizard
You must be logged on to this computer as an administrator to complete this procedure.

Run the Network Setup Wizard.
Click the connection method that applies for your computer.
Accept the default computer description and computer name.
Accept the default workgroup name. This name should match the workgroup name of the other computers that you want to share files with.
On the File and printer sharing page, do one of the following:
To enable file and printer sharing, click Turn on file and printer sharing. Windows Firewall will be configured to allow file and printer sharing on your network.
To disable file and printer sharing, click Turn off file and printer sharing. Windows Firewall will block file and printer sharing on your network. If you currently have shared files or printers, they will no longer be shared.
Complete the rest of the wizard.

upthecreek
08-13-2015, 05:56 PM
My desktop was wireless now its wired(Ethernet cable) its impossible to go from a non wireless device to a wireless printer without a cable in between the router & printer
I'll figure it out
Thnx

Dave Schwartz
08-13-2015, 06:26 PM
All routers are hard-wired to desktop (i. e.., computer)!!!!

Actually, not so.

UpTheCreek,

Effectively, you no longer have a wireless network. You have 2 choices:

1) Simply physically connect your printer a computer.
If you had multiple computers, you no longer have a network.

2) Create a wireless network by purchasing a Wireless Access Point (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_access_point) to connect all computers (and devices) to your network.

In our home, we actually have #2.

1) There is a hard-wired router just as you have.
2) It connects to a single computer.
3) 12 of the 14 computers are connected via cabling.
4) There is a Wireless Access Point connected to one computer with a cable.
(Note: This is not the same computer that the internet router is connected to.)
5) The other 2 computers connect to the network via the Wireless Access Point.
6) The 2 printers (in our network) are connected to a computer via cable.
7) The 2 printers are available via wireless (coming through the access point.)
8) All other devices - cell phones, DVR, etc. connect to the internet through the Wireless Access Point.

Hope this helps.

Dave

PS: We actually have this one. (http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA901ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B002YETVXC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1439504942&sr=1-1&keywords=tp+link+wireless+access+point)

Chaka26
08-13-2015, 08:39 PM
As an fyi when tying to do setups dont connect cable to printer first then desktop
you need to connect cable in proper order or some brands wont function...didnt believe it til it happened to my sister in law
After restarting a zillion times with no luck i asked how she connected it and she said printer first.
opened the manual and sure enough it says must be connected to desktop first -unplugged everything the connected in proper order and worked fine

Anyone know why connection order matters? Especially when units were not powered on at the time

Dave Schwartz
08-13-2015, 09:40 PM
Anyone know why connection order matters? Especially when units were not powered on at the time

I would say that is bad info.

Probably meant "install software before connecting cable."

Hoofless_Wonder
08-14-2015, 12:26 AM
Upthecreek, you should smack that Comcast weenie upside the head for swapping out your router and not at least providing you the heads up it would donkey up your wireless network and connectivity from your PC to the printer, as well as for other devices.

The order in which things are configured does matter. It's pretty simple. First the modem needs to "talk" to the ISP, in this case Comcast. Then the router needs to talk to the modem, if it's not a combined device. Then devices can connect to the wireless network.

With a wireless router, there's a default network set up already, but as each device connects it gets an IP address assigned, unless you hard code them. If that IP changes, like it would when the whole network gets wiped out, then any definitions the wireless devices like tablets or a PC have for a printer will most likely change.

You need to log into the wireless router, and check under the devices tab to see if an IP is assigned to the printer. If not, you should run through the printer's procedure for configuring it to a wireless router. The printer needs to be connected to the router and have an IP before any device redefines it. Once the printer is properly configured on the router, then you can delete the old printer definition from your PC, and "rediscover" it with the correct IP.

All of this is pain, since you only do it once as you set up hardware, and often do that over time as you buy new devices.

AndyC
08-14-2015, 10:59 AM
I am sitting here scratching my head while printing on my wireless printer from my computer hardwired to the router.

upthecreek
08-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Got it working thnx for the help