PDA

View Full Version : Clockwise vs Counterclockwise Racing

FocusWiz
08-10-2015, 01:06 PM
I have long been taught that horses will prefer the right lead and need to change leads coming off the turn to be most effective. Most of what I have read indicates that most horses prefer their right lead and some claim that Alydar might have performed better in the triple crown had he been more amenable to changing off the left lead. There is some belief that changing leads can result in a less tired horse in the end.

I ask this because unlike American tracks, some Australian tracks, many European Tracks, and the Hong Kong Tracks race clockwise rather than counter-clockwise which would seem to put the horse on the right lead for the entire race unless the jockey is able to get a horse to change leads. Do jockeys in these races try to switch leads during straightaways to balance muscle use? If not, would racing clockwise result in more consistency against a horse's past performance? Is the effect of this potential tiring overblown?

I have not researched this, but does anyone here think there are any generalities that one can make about racing clockwise rather than counterclockwise?

Thanks.

OTM Al
08-10-2015, 01:19 PM
It is really just a matter of training I'd think. I'm sure they change leads as well.

I knew Jorge Velasquez for a bit and he swears he would have won the TC if he could have gotten the horse to change leads. He liked the horse but said he was kind of dumb.

Clocker
08-10-2015, 01:32 PM
I have read a number of writers who say that running on the same lead all the time will tire the horse quicker.

http://therail.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/23/the-art-of-switching-leads/

Magister Ludi
08-10-2015, 02:15 PM
...does anyone here think there are any generalities that one can make about racing clockwise rather than counterclockwise?

Thanks.

F1 is far more interesting than NASCAR.

green80
08-10-2015, 03:28 PM
I have not researched this, but does anyone here think there are any generalities that one can make about racing clockwise rather than counterclockwise?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

yea, the other knee and ankle gets sore . When a horse doesn't change leads he usually has something on that side bothering him. He is trying to stay off his bad leg.

FocusWiz
08-10-2015, 03:45 PM
I am still unsure if I have seen horses change leads when running clockwise. Not that I am good at spotting this. I usually don't notice unless Peter Berry calls it out at Mountaineer (or more likely the fact that a horse is not changing leads).

One of these nights I will take a look at the Australian tracks and see if it does happen there. Possibly it is related to the way they whip their horses. They do have a fairly unique style there from what I've seen.

Thanks all.

Clocker
08-10-2015, 03:48 PM
More here:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66130

FocusWiz
08-10-2015, 04:28 PM
More here:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66130Thanks, Clocker. Interesting reading.

I searched the internet a bit and also found this in WikipediaLead changes are important in many riding disciplines. In horse racing, when a horse is galloping, the leading leg may tire, resulting in the horse slowing down. If the lead is changed, the horse will usually "find another gear" or be able to maintain its pace. Because horses race counter-clockwise in North America, a racehorse is usually trained to lead with the left leg while rounding the turn for balance, but switch to the right lead on the straightaways between the turns to rest the leftbut it does not say if they try to follow the opposite pattern in the clockwise portion of the racing world.

In fact, this discussion (which is admittedly not about thoroughbreds) seems to contradict most of what I've read about which lead is more prevalent and saysJust as most people are right-handed, most horses are left-sided. This means most horses are naturally more athletic when performing maneuvers to their left. This, in turn, means that most horses will prefer to use a left lead over a right one.http://www.cowboyway.com/What/HorseLeads.htm

I am beginning to think that they will switch leads to the left lead in straightaways in the clockwise races, but I have never seen that mentioned anywhere.

Thanks again!

whodoyoulike
08-10-2015, 04:37 PM
It is really just a matter of training I'd think. I'm sure they change leads as well. ...

I think this must be true as well. Changing leads has more to do with running rather than whether they do it counter clockwise or in a clockwise direction.

FocusWiz
08-10-2015, 04:55 PM
I think this must be true as well. Changing leads has more to do with running rather than whether they do it counter clockwise or in a clockwise direction.I don't disagree and I have no specific knowledge nor expertise in this area, but most of the documents I have read have intimated that the dominant lead is the Right Lead and that is why it is the preferred lead when running straightaways. Others have indicated that the left lead is the necessary lead when turning left (since it is the more natural and less awkward way to make such a turn). Thus, the websites indicate (right or wrong) that they use the left lead on turns and switch to the right lead on the straightaways.

In a clockwise race, the horses would be on a right lead during the turns, which would mean (if those references are accurate) that they either stay with the right lead on the straightaways (which should tire them out) or they switch to the left lead in the straightaways which might not be conducive for the best final run.

Again, I really don't know anything about this except what I've read...the real reason I am posting is because I suspect the folks here know a lot more first-hand than what others have written in their internet articles.

As I indicated, I suspect that either lead is fine on a straightaway and that the main issue is how the muscles are used rather than a true dominance of one lead over the other (especially in a horse that has been well trained).

Thanks for helping me try to sort this out in my head.

Ruffian1
08-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Think of it as a boxer only throwing punches with one arm. He is going to get tired quicker than using both arms.
Horses are taught to switch leads into and out of turns. Just matters which direction and who is teaching them what and when.
On a long, long straightaway, they will switch when they are feeling that the lead leg needs a rest. It is second nature to protect themselves.

As for certain horses not willing to switch, some are just stubborn, usually cheap speed horses, but plenty are , as another poster spoke too, not wanting to switch to a certain leg do to not being as comfortable leading with that leg.
Others still will readily switch in the mornings, but get them in a race with noise coming from the grandstand through the lane and they get so wrapped up in that, and the competition that they forget. A kind way of saying they are not good at multi tasking I guess, or, they are kind of dumb.

FocusWiz
08-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Think of it as a boxer only throwing punches with one arm. He is going to get tired quicker than using both arms.
Horses are taught to switch leads into and out of turns. Just matters which direction and who is teaching them what and when.
On a long, long straightaway, they will switch when they are feeling that the lead leg needs a rest. It is second nature to protect themselves.

As for certain horses not willing to switch, some are just stubborn, usually cheap speed horses, but plenty are , as another poster spoke too, not wanting to switch to a certain leg do to not being as comfortable leading with that leg.
Others still will readily switch in the mornings, but get them in a race with noise coming from the grandstand through the lane and they get so wrapped up in that, and the competition that they forget. A kind way of saying they are not good at multi tasking I guess, or, they are kind of dumb.Thanks. I think this makes the most sense and for a well-trained horse, it is basically a matter of use/disuse not that they need to be on the right lead in a straightaway.

I appreciate the comments, all.