PDA

View Full Version : The DRF's "Closer Look" feature...

thaskalos
08-07-2015, 03:13 PM
There is very little empty space left on the pages of the newly-altered printed edition of the DRF, and I've often thought that this lack of space is the reason why some very important information -- like pace ratings, or a reliable track variant -- has never become a part of this very expensive publication. So...I became mildly amused when I noticed that an extended comment line began to appear under the past performances of the horses at some of the more "renowned" racetracks. Surely, this information had to be of the highest caliber...if it was able to occupy space that could have been used to supply relevant information for which horseplayers have been waiting many years.

I don't know who Brian Mulligan is...but I do know that he supplied the handicapping comments for today's "Closer Look" section of the 3rd race at Saratoga.

Here is what Mulligan wrote:

:1: Matuszak - No luck at this trip, but was coming away in the miler in May; show horse 5/16 won next out in an N2L allowance at Finger Lakes with a 61 Beyer; place horse 5/16 took a $16K N2L , then was placed 2nd in a $35K N3L fray on 6/25; connections thought enough of this runner last year to try Tonalist; barn rolling, look out.

:2: Roman Fire - The 13-month layoff is a valid concern; he's been handled by the rail in the past but there is not a ton of speed here and would expect rider to be very aggressive and send hard; last angle to think about; this rider is 32% for Dutrow.

:3: Spider Roll - First time for sale in last and gelding took advantage in professional manner and note place horse was over 5 clear; place horse 5/25 took a state-bred N1X, then ran out of the money; runner handles any kind of going; repeat well within the scope.

:4: I'll Be Fine - Nice try two back, but he was crushed at this level in the May finale; runner has decent turn of late foot when in the mood and note this rider was up for the last victory; backers have to hope the drop today shakes him up.

:5: Inca Saint - First time under purchase price, runner may have disliked the off going in last; 7th finisher won twice since, the last in an open $20K claimer at Pimliko; show horse in the last also won twice since, but the last was only against $5K claimer at the shore; could see him sitting a nice stalk and kick trip; don't ignore.

:6: Marine One - You have to put them where they belong in this game, hence the drop; bothered early two back, don't be too harsh about last as he has not been able to handle grass; don't be shocked if he turns it around in a big way today.

:7: Steve - Bobbled in last, but still kept to the task and he was 4 clear in the process; show horse in last won next out at this very level and then was crushed in an open company $25K claimer here last Sunday; Cruz got a chance to figure him out; should be right there when the smoke clears.

:8: Life's a Roar - Gelding reveled in the mud last time and note show horse was 5 clear; with 5 times as many slices as wins, it's hard to throw it on top only today; tactical speed will give him first run on the deep closers; must be left in the mix.

Now...I know that Mulligan's audience here is mainly the relatively uninformed players, because most of what he reveals is readily apparent to anyone with any zeal for the handicapping process...but, what is he really telling his audience here? With the possible exception of the :4: here...can we say that Mulligan is pointing to any horses that he considers unlikely to win this race? Even the :8: , who has "five times as many slices as wins", is not considered a horse to keep off the top spot by Mulligan. Note that he advises his audience that "it's hard to throw it on top only today.

Is this the type of information that should find itself on the pages of a $9 publication...while other much more useful information -- like pace figures and reliable track variants -- is withheld from customers who have been waiting for such things for many years?

EMD4ME
08-07-2015, 04:03 PM
It's pathetic, that's what it is. A DRF costs $9 bucks these days? WOW.

I haven't bought one in 6 or 7 years. That's sickening. All for what? Bland PP's?

Makes you feel like they work for the track or TVG..... Touting every horse except for 1 LOL.

And someone pays this guy a salary for opinions of that nature? Where do I send my resume to do nothing?

johnhannibalsmith
08-07-2015, 04:09 PM
The only comment I've ever thought worth taking note of from the little DRF horse analysis is the oft-ominous closing: "surprise package".

TonyK@HSH
08-07-2015, 04:10 PM
There is very little empty space left on the pages of the newly-altered printed edition of the DRF, and I've often thought that this lack of space is the reason why some very important information -- like pace ratings, or a reliable track variant -- has never become a part of this very expensive publication. So...I became mildly amused when I noticed that an extended comment line began to appear under the past performances of the horses at some of the more "renowned" racetracks. Surely, this information had to be of the highest caliber...if it was able to occupy space that could have been used to supply relevant information for which horseplayers have been waiting many years.

I don't know who Brian Mulligan is...but I do know that he supplied the handicapping comments for today's "Closer Look" section of the 3rd race at Saratoga.

Here is what Mulligan wrote:

:1: Matuszak - No luck at this trip, but was coming away in the miler in May; show horse 5/16 won next out in an N2L allowance at Finger Lakes with a 61 Beyer; place horse 5/16 took a $16K N2L , then was placed 2nd in a $35K N3L fray on 6/25; connections thought enough of this runner last year to try Tonalist; barn rolling, look out.

:2: Roman Fire - The 13-month layoff is a valid concern; he's been handled by the rail in the past but there is not a ton of speed here and would expect rider to be very aggressive and send hard; last angle to think about; this rider is 32% for Dutrow.

:3: Spider Roll - First time for sale in last and gelding took advantage in professional manner and note place horse was over 5 clear; place horse 5/25 took a state-bred N1X, then ran out of the money; runner handles any kind of going; repeat well within the scope.

:4: I'll Be Fine - Nice try two back, but he was crushed at this level in the May finale; runner has decent turn of late foot when in the mood and note this rider was up for the last victory; backers have to hope the drop today shakes him up.

:5: Inca Saint - First time under purchase price, runner may have disliked the off going in last; 7th finisher won twice since, the last in an open $20K claimer at Pimliko; show horse in the last also won twice since, but the last was only against $5K claimer at the shore; could see him sitting a nice stalk and kick trip; don't ignore.

:6: Marine One - You have to put them where they belong in this game, hence the drop; bothered early two back, don't be too harsh about last as he has not been able to handle grass; don't be shocked if he turns it around in a big way today.

:7: Steve - Bobbled in last, but still kept to the task and he was 4 clear in the process; show horse in last won next out at this very level and then was crushed in an open company $25K claimer here last Sunday; Cruz got a chance to figure him out; should be right there when the smoke clears.

:8: Life's a Roar - Gelding reveled in the mud last time and note show horse was 5 clear; with 5 times as many slices as wins, it's hard to throw it on top only today; tactical speed will give him first run on the deep closers; must be left in the mix.

Now...I know that Mulligan's audience here is mainly the relatively uninformed players, because most of what he reveals is readily apparent to anyone with any zeal for the handicapping process...but, what is he really telling his audience here? With the possible exception of the :4: here...can we say that Mulligan is pointing to any horses that he considers unlikely to win this race? Even the :8: , who has "five times as many slices as wins", is not considered a horse to keep off the top spot by Mulligan. Note that he advises his audience that "it's hard to throw it on top only today.

Is this the type of information that should find itself on the pages of a $9 publication...while other much more useful information -- like pace figures and reliable track variants -- is withheld from customers who have been waiting for such things for many years?

The Formulator allows you to integrate the Moss pace figures into your DRF.

Lemon Drop Husker
08-07-2015, 04:34 PM
So according to this brilliant write up, I should be boxing the entire field?

Why would they want opinions to be involved in the racing form? Is this crack inside info why one is paying more for a Daily Racing Form these days?

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

EMD4ME
08-07-2015, 04:51 PM
I do use formulator and like it but only because it gives me the ability to keep card, race and trip notes. The charts are valuable as well but it's the ability to save a ton of notes that makes it valuable to me. The rest of their stuff in blah

Stillriledup
08-07-2015, 05:11 PM
It's pathetic, that's what it is. A DRF costs $9 bucks these days? WOW.

I haven't bought one in 6 or 7 years. That's sickening. All for what? Bland PP's?

Makes you feel like they work for the track or TVG..... Touting every horse except for 1 LOL.

And someone pays this guy a salary for opinions of that nature? Where do I send my resume to do nothing?

Brad free needs a salary somehow, right?

NorCalGreg
08-07-2015, 05:23 PM
The only comment I've ever thought worth taking note of from the little DRF horse analysis is the oft-ominous closing: "surprise package".

Here's one that was a guaranteed winner "works whisper ready"

cnollfan
08-07-2015, 05:34 PM
As the face of the industry, I don't wish ill on DRF. I hope they are successful.
But I no longer find their product competitively priced, nor does it provide handicapping information that I consider crucial. I would like to read the articles, but it's a hassle to figure out which are accessible and which are "DRF Plus." So I pretty much stick to TimeformUS and Brisnet in tandem for handicapping, and Blood-Horse for reading.

I used to have stacks and stacks of old Racing Forms in my home.

EMD4ME
08-07-2015, 05:35 PM
Brad free needs a salary somehow, right?

Ouch !!!

Stillriledup
08-07-2015, 05:36 PM
Ouch !!!

Dave Litfin also chuckled. :D

whodoyoulike
08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
Just an update because I like closure on things.

:1: marine one (12.10)
:2: roman fire (4.30)
:3: matuszak (2.00)*
:4: steve (4.30)

7 runners.

$2 exacta $211.00 ; $2 tri $768.00; super $2,464.00

time: 111.47 for 9f (D).

* betting favorite

EMD4ME
08-07-2015, 05:56 PM
Dave Litfin also chuckled. :D

I like Dave SRU...... be nice.... :)

salty
08-07-2015, 10:19 PM
Well as much as it seemed unimportant. The thought was correct that anyone could have won the race. Since the 4 was the least flattering possible winner we can leave him out then right. So the 6x6 $1 exacta ($30) paid $105.50. The 6x6x6 $1 tri ($120) paid $384. Finally the 6x6x6x6 $1 super ($360) came up paying $1,232.

i actually find bombs from time to time by reading the closer look. Last meet at Saratoga I picked wallyanna to beat bobbys kitten because of the comment that read something like, "trainer is 28% down in Florida surely he wouldn't send a horse all the way up here if it didn't stand a chance." Made me look at wallyanna a little closer :D I think the payoff was around 25-1

I haven't bought a drf for awhile now though.

Aerocraft67
08-07-2015, 10:46 PM
Taking the apologist side of this, Closer Look is basically the "executive summary" of the PPs. Summarizing the PP data is not a heinous crime, although relying on it for wagers won't make you a winning player.

The funny thing about Closer Look is that it applies a somewhat traditional, unbiased reporting approach to covering the race, which is anathema to the whole point of handicapping a race—taking a stand. That said, CL reporters take varying degrees of stand on the runners, some even using language so randy as "respect" and "toss," while others just summarize the PPs with no guidance to speak of. The example subject of this thread is particularly egregious in that regard.

There's a difference between reading about a race and poring over the PPs. Closer Look provides a qualitative narrative on the race that's more steeped in handicapping than general news coverage of the big races and connections. In that sense, Closer Look is coverage of the handicapping instead of the sport of racing, sort of like the two primary forums on PA, "General Handicapping Discussion" and "General Racing Discussion." Sure, Closer Look could be sharper, but have you tried to make a living writing at the entry level lately?

That said, I wonder about the audience and efficacy of Closer Look. How many people want to read about handicapping than just do it? I have a pretty good appetite for racing analysis myself, but Closer Look is lacking compared to top-tier racing analysis (Beer, Serling, Watchmaker, etc.). I guess you have to start somewhere, and you need minor leagues, but it's a tight squeeze between the PPs themselves and expert analysis for Closer Look to fill in any value.

Not likely the writer uncovers an obvious angle you overlooked, but if you just want to read about the entrants without poring over the PPs, Closer Look affords you that opportunity. Put another way, Closer Look is unlikely to change the fortunes of the serious player, but it's a pretty reasonable "warm up" or "reality check" on a race you're handicapping or considering handicapping.

Seabiscuit@AR
08-08-2015, 12:50 AM
So if you had followed the comments and boxed up all but No 4 you would be a winner. Well done DRF

I have never understood people complaining about tipsters. Horse racing is about having your own opinions and backing them. Betting on others' opinions is no fun for starters. But what if the DRF had some super computer that could predict the outcome of every race with 100% accuracy and printed these selections as the Closer Look? Then every winner would pay money back and there would be no way to win. The game would be dead

thaskalos
08-08-2015, 01:20 AM
So if you had followed the comments and boxed up all but No 4 you would be a winner. Well done DRF

I have never understood people complaining about tipsters. Horse racing is about having your own opinions and backing them. Betting on others' opinions is no fun for starters. But what if the DRF had some super computer that could predict the outcome of every race with 100% accuracy and printed these selections as the Closer Look? Then every winner would pay money back and there would be no way to win. The game would be dead

I have nothing against the tipsters...or the people who patronize them. But the DRF is not a "tip sheet"; it's supposedly the "bible of the industry". It should be obvious that the people who fork over $9 for a copy of the printed addition are interested in doing their own handicapping...and they should be given the tools that they need to do their work.

If the DRF can find room on its pages to publish mindless drivel which showers accolades on every horse in the race...then they can find room to publish a reliable track variant...instead of that laughable version of a variant that they've been offering for over 40 years now. Their customers are paying through the nose for the printed version...and they deserve more than what they are getting now.

Seabiscuit@AR
08-08-2015, 02:23 AM
Thaskalos

DRF do overcharge for their products I agree there. I once ordered a DRF publication book from DRF which cost $20 to $30 and they wanted to charge me $200 to $300 for shipping (I live outside the USA). The book was available from Amazon for the same price and a far far more reasonable shipping fee so I bought it from there. But this just shows the mentality of DRF. They don't want to be bothered but simply want to churn out form and these days book bets

As for the track variant I would guess their response would be that they give you the Beyer speed figure which incorporates final time + track variant so no need to give you the variant when the Beyer speed figure contains all you need to know

Tall One
08-08-2015, 11:54 AM
Mulligan seems to be trying harder to not offend anybody as opposed to doing his job and helping the public. Back when the "Closer look" was introduced, there was a few snippets of info you could actually use. Sire/dam stats were helpful in the MSW races, and a horse without a chance was given that billing with no punches pulled. Been awhile, but Steve Rydowski(?) was good at his job when he penned some of the "Closer look" comments. EMD mentioned Liftin, and I agree. Always enjoyed his takes on the card. Good author too. How's his health, EMD? I saw him on the tv during the Belmont Stakes undercard, and he didn't look like he was doing good at all.

I hate...HATE...the new form. Fortunately, I work for an image reprographic company, so when I do buy a single card, I can scan and reprint them at 12x18, bind, staple, and voila, it's 1989 all over again. That said, I typically only buy the Form for Derby and BC days, and that's just the classic edition, nothing fancy. Rest of the time, the Equibase pp's (which I get for free) do me just fine. That's the pp's used out at Keeneland, and I'm more familiar with their layout.

I used to have stacks and stacks of old Racing Forms in my home.
Mine are at my folks' house in storage bins going back to '89. Can't bring myself to throw them away. :)

Aerocraft67
08-08-2015, 12:01 PM
You get the CL along with the picks with DRF Plus as part of the entries presentation on the web site. I know they appear in Forumlator, too. OP's beef is with the print edition, but the online is okay. Not great, but okay.

ultracapper
08-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Some one mentioned having stacks of old DRFs. I'm sure we all did at one time. We all went through that time where we felt we would need to refer back to old forms to find that one snippet. We all had stacks of them. But that day is over. At $9 per, the amount it would have cost me to have an entire season of DRFs for Longacres would now only get me about 10 days worth.

$9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zerosky
08-08-2015, 01:22 PM
The comments in bold look like they are computer generated,
like Trackmaster's Railbird comments

Fox
08-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Some one mentioned having stacks of old DRFs. I'm sure we all did at one time. We all went through that time where we felt we would need to refer back to old forms to find that one snippet. We all had stacks of them. But that day is over. At $9 per, the amount it would have cost me to have an entire season of DRFs for Longacres would now only get me about 10 days worth.

$9!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a closet full. Talk about a fire hazard.

johnhannibalsmith
08-09-2015, 11:54 AM
I buy a few every year or drag leftovers home from the track to use as gift wrap. The new mini ones suck for anything but gift cards.

Fingal
08-10-2015, 02:02 AM
For the longest time I had old forms & programs going back to the 1980's but finally had to toss it all as the silverfish found them. :(

Because it's been asked, back when the form consensus box had names like Sweep, Hermis & Trackman, Brian Mulligan was Sweep & he also used to do the graded handicap. He's worked at the DRF for at least 35 years if not longer.

classhandicapper
08-10-2015, 10:18 AM
I find the Closer Looks comments useful in races with a lot of first time starters or first time turfers. Those are the kinds of races where extra research into pedigrees, sire stats, full and half siblings info, workouts at the sales, in company workouts, and information that is not in any PPs but sometimes in other DRF products is located. There's not much you can say about most horses in most races that adds any value unless there's a specific trainer stat or something else to highlight.