PDA

View Full Version : New retirees....Materiality, Moreno

Grits
08-07-2015, 01:53 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/93480/florida-derby-winner-materiality-retired

While unraced at 2, TAP kept him going, this, his entire 3 year old year.

He's at the TOP of the Beyers list? Ok... So, how, exactly, will this market him as a stallion in the year of American Pharoah's Triple Crown? Forgive me, but I'm confused.

"He is a good-looking individual and we expect the breeders will like him as much as we do. His Florida Derby remains the highest Beyer figure for a 3-year old this year."

"Materiality was a strong, robust horse with a great disposition," said trainer Todd Pletcher. "He had sprinter speed with the ability to carry that speed to 1 1/8 miles."

Stallion arrangements have not yet been finalized.

EMD4ME
08-07-2015, 01:56 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/93480/florida-derby-winner-materiality-retired

He's at the TOP of the Beyers list? Ok... So, how, exactly, will this market him as a stallion in the year of American Pharoah's Triple Crown? Forgive me, but I'm confused.

Another Pletcherization. When does it stop? Holy blank....

Kash$
08-07-2015, 02:26 PM
cj...thoughts

outofthebox
08-07-2015, 02:26 PM

He's at the TOP of the Beyers list? Ok... So, how, exactly, will this market him as a stallion in the year of American Pharoah's Triple Crown? Forgive me, but I'm confused.Beyer needs to recalculate the Fl Derby # so that they cannot advertise on his stallion page....

cnollfan
08-07-2015, 05:45 PM
Was the Florida Derby was adjusted after the fact from a Beyer of 105 to 110?

If only he hadn't got that darn slow start in the Derby, and then not skipped the Preakness, and then if the Belmont wasn't so darn long, then Materiality would be the Triple Crown winner! Because 110 is bigger than 109, right?

Irish Boy
08-07-2015, 06:11 PM
Three Derby runners for Pletcher, one start between them since. Two horses have been retired, the third hasn't had a published workout since late May.

Thank God he didn't wind up with American Pharoah.

cj
08-08-2015, 11:47 AM
cj...thoughts

Business as usual.

ArlJim78
08-08-2015, 12:29 PM
In my opinion the two races of this years TC season which were most often mistakenly assessed were the Florida and Kentucky derbies. Most raved about the former and dismissed the performances in the latter.

Can the shelf life of a Pletcher derby horse get any shorter? debut in Jan, peak in March, then retire in August after a robust five race career.

cj
08-08-2015, 12:38 PM
In my opinion the two races of this years TC season which were most often mistakenly assessed were the Florida and Kentucky derbies. Most raved about the former and dismissed the performances in the latter.

Can the shelf life of a Pletcher derby horse get any shorter? debut in Jan, peak in March, then retire in August after a robust five race career.

I'm happy to say I was on the opposite sides of both :)

gheuks
08-08-2015, 05:20 PM
carpe diem worked 4f today at Laurel... yes laurel. Was the colt sold?? Who is the new owner and trainer??

raybo
08-10-2015, 03:04 AM
From Blood Horse:

GRADE I WINNER MORENO RETIRED Southern
Equine Stable's homebred grade I winner Moreno
has been retired, trainer Eric Guillot said Aug.
9, a day after he finished eighth in the Whitney
Stakes (gr. I) at Saratoga Race Course

Although he had a good career, his propensity for running early, with often, not enough raw speed to comfortably command the early lead, has finally left his connections with little choice, regarding the future.

arw629
08-10-2015, 09:59 PM
I was a fan of Moreno...always left it all out on the track

classhandicapper
08-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Unless he had physical problems, I don't see the reason for retiring this horse. He was never really a Grade 1 horse to begin with. He was typically competitive at that level when he caught a biased track or got a comfortable lead. He had the opposite of that in his last 2 starts. IMO, he could have won more races and a lot more money if spotted well.

nijinski
08-11-2015, 01:51 PM
Moreno is now retired per BH !

raybo
08-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Unless he had physical problems, I don't see the reason for retiring this horse. He was never really a Grade 1 horse to begin with. He was typically competitive at that level when he caught a biased track or got a comfortable lead. He had the opposite of that in his last 2 starts. IMO, he could have won more races and a lot more money if spotted well.

I suspect that the retirement was based on emotions more than anything else. He has 29 lifetime starts and has earned about $3M. He appears to be unable to win at the highest levels anymore. He has a "name" and a reputation in racing, the owner and trainer would much prefer he keep that name and reputation as intact as possible, rather than running him to death in lesser races and tarnishing that name. I don't think he has physical issues that would keep him from racing, but he obviously has lost a few steps, and probably won't ever get them back. His last 2 finishes were dismal, and his last win was in a G2 race, at Charlestown, his lifetime best figure is already well below many of his contemporaries, the writing was on the wall, IMO.

Yeah, you could drop him down in class and maybe get a win or two, but then he's not a G1 horse anymore. Right now he goes out as a G1 contender.

nijinski
08-11-2015, 02:32 PM
Moreno obviously must be dealing with nagging problems as he is a gelding . I'm glad the right thing is being done and I hope he moves on with a new fitting career down the roads, kept safe and sound .

whodoyoulike
08-11-2015, 04:03 PM
carpe diem worked 4f today at Laurel... yes laurel. Was the colt sold?? Who is the new owner and trainer??

That's good to hear for me, I liked him in the Derby. But, I thought I read recently he was being retired.

I also liked Materiality and felt his limit was also 9f based on what I saw in the Belmont.

The horses seem to be getting injured or retiring the last few months.

What's going on?

OTM Al
08-11-2015, 04:53 PM
That's good to hear for me, I liked him in the Derby. But, I thought I read recently he was being retired.

I also liked Materiality and felt his limit was also 9f based on what I saw in the Belmont.

The horses seem to be getting injured or retiring the last few months.

What's going on?

The horse that worked out that day is named Carpe Omnia. That means something like "seize all things" for those that care.

gheuks
08-11-2015, 05:05 PM
I see they changed it. Equibase and drf both had it as carpe diem on Saturday with pletcher as the last trainer. Thanks for the clarification.

iceknight
08-11-2015, 11:26 PM
I really liked Moreno. But he had a funny record. Took several tries to graduate the maiden, but then won the Dwyer and was into graded races for 3 yr olds but as a son of Ghostzapper--- obviously expectations were probably high.... the Travers flap..(buzzer accusations by his trainer at WTC) was not fair to this guy.
Hope he has a nice retirement - did work hard!