PDA

View Full Version : Baseball strategy Bos at NYY aug 5.

Stillriledup
08-06-2015, 02:19 PM
So in the bottom of the 9th the Yanks are trailing 2-1 w 2 outs and a man on 2nd (might have been 1st and 2nd).

The 3rd baseman is WAY off the line. I believe there was a conference on the mound that was talking about not throwing to 3rd if the runner takes off. If you are NYY , why not have the pinch runner in 2nd steal 3rd? If they throw thru, you give yourself a legit shot the catcher throws the ball into left field, I believe it's worth a shot on a very high probability play to get in position to score the tying run on a wild pitch, ESP vs a pitcher who's been bouncing them.

Thoughts?

Dave Schwartz
08-06-2015, 02:32 PM
There is an old baseball adage that really applies here:

"Never make the 1st or last (of an inning) out at 3rd base."

Reasoning:
Any ball that gets through the infield scores the run.

Rise Over Run
08-06-2015, 03:15 PM
There is an old baseball adage that really applies here:

"Never make the 1st or last (of an inning) out at 3rd base."

Reasoning:
Any ball that gets through the infield scores the run.

If slow-as-molasses Sid Bream scoring from second in the 1992 NLCS doesn't prove this theory, nothing will. For any of my Pittsburg friends that can't remember the play, here's a link to a Youtube video. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgjIVvEQo_o

OTM Al
08-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Dead on analysis here. Red Sox outfield is deep in no doubles defense. Runner is going to go with the crack of the bat and will score easily on a single. Yes, the pitcher was a little wild and the chance of a wild pitch was better than average but likely still not good enough to risk stealing 3rd. Also, you had home run potential hitters up, so why risk taking the bat out of their hands?

Stillriledup
08-07-2015, 12:10 AM
There's 2 outs and you need 1 run. The risk was very minimal but the reward was worth it. the 3rd baseman was in the shortstop position, so if the man on 2nd takes off, he's in a footrace w 3rd baseman to bag, 3bman would have to make a catch running at full speed and somehow apply a tag, I can't imagine that the sox catcher would have attempted that throw, IMO it's over 90 pct that the player is safe.

Also you almost WANT him to try and throw, with the sprint to the bag, there's more than a 10 pct shot the ball goes into the OF if the throw is attempted.

The sox had a conference on mound w all infielders I'm pretty sure mgr told them to not throw if the guy takes off.

MutuelClerk
08-07-2015, 08:51 AM
As much as the shifting brings down batting averages it can and does put infielders in awkward positions. I think teams should be more aggressive with base runners against the shift and make the defense throw the ball and get in trouble.

Stillriledup
08-07-2015, 12:42 PM
As much as the shifting brings down batting averages it can and does put infielders in awkward positions. I think teams should be more aggressive with base runners against the shift and make the defense throw the ball and get in trouble.

Exactly. It's a calculated move, nobody would have expected it either since 'nobody' wants to make the last out at 3rd base. Girardi managed to not get criticized rather than to be proactive and tried to win. you have many more ways to score w a man on 3rd, you also put more pressure on the infielders and battery and even if it doesn't work you plant the seed in the heads of all the other teams that you'll never know what girardi will do in the future and that he's not afraid of a gamble, but as it stands now, everyone knows he manages 'by the book' 100 pct of the time, which helps rival teams be able to predict moves better going forward.

johnhannibalsmith
08-07-2015, 01:26 PM
but as it stands now, everyone knows he manages 'by the book' 100 pct of the time, ...

Pretty sure this is the same Girardi that went to his bullpen to remove Wilson in favor of Betances in the middle of an at-bat and with two strikes on the batter just a few nights earlier.

Stillriledup
08-07-2015, 04:02 PM
Pretty sure this is the same Girardi that went to his bullpen to remove Wilson in favor of Betances in the middle of an at-bat and with two strikes on the batter just a few nights earlier.

It's the only move he's made in his Yankees career that wasn't by the book. But 99.9 rounds up to 100.