PDA

View Full Version : Help, my computer has a virus!!

andicap
06-04-2004, 09:28 PM
OK, so I hadn't updated my anti-virus definiations and I got whacked. Since my AV software didn't recognize the virus I downloaded smartcop from the Web and it told me I had three viruses and asked if I wanted to kill them. I said yes and now the PC's cursor is frozen. I reboot into safe mode get to the first screen (the one that asks the user to log in) and I can't do anything because the cursor is frozen.

It's a WIN XP Pro (I don't have the original disk -- it was originally Win ME and got "upgraded" if you know what I mean.) Dell Dimension PC.

Is there anything I can do about this?

And no I did not create a boot disk.

I am writing this on my Win XP Home laptop.

:confused:

JustRalph
06-04-2004, 10:07 PM
andi

try booting up in safe mode "command prompt only"

type

"cd C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Restore"

then type

"rstrui.exe"

this should load the system restore utility........(might be a little slow)

restore your system to a date prior to your anti virus removal and let me know what happens

if you can't get this going let me know...... I have an alternate method

JustRalph
06-04-2004, 10:49 PM
hey andi

I forgot.....

hit enter after

"cd C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Restore"

and again after

rstrui.exe

andicap
06-05-2004, 12:00 AM
OK, looks like I got rid of the virus and the PC is not frozen anymore but I can't restore it -- and i get these two errors (which are NOT noted in the System Suite error log for some reason)

procedure entry point ThunkConn 32 could not be located in
the dynamic link ker32.dll

AND

Error found win/sys3/nvcpl.dll specified procedure could not be found.

JustRalph
06-05-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by andicap
OK, looks like I got rid of the virus and the PC is not frozen anymore but I can't restore it -- and i get these two errors (which are NOT noted in the System Suite error log for some reason)

procedure entry point ThunkConn 32 could not be located in
the dynamic link ker32.dll

AND

Error found win/sys3/nvcpl.dll specified procedure could not be found.

Andi....the second message is minor........nvcpl.dll is the control panel file for norton antivirus. Re-install norton to fix that one.

still working on the first error

JustRalph
06-05-2004, 12:53 AM
andi

sounds like a video driver issue.........see if you can get into safe mode and remove the video driver from device manager....or update the driver........maybe the two are linked problems.....it appears................see below:

RUNDLL32.EXE - Entry Point Not Found" Error Message When You Start Your Computer
View products that this article applies to.
This article was previously published under Q330159
SYMPTOMS
When you start your computer, you may receive one or more of the following error messages:

RUNDLL32.EXE - Entry Point Not Found: The procedure entry point ThunkConnect32 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll

RUNDLL - Error in NvQTwk Missing entry:NvCplDaemon
CAUSE
This issue may occur if there is a problem with your NVIDIA video adapter driver.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, download and install the latest driver for your NVIDIA video adapter. For information about how to download and install NVIDIA drivers, visit the following NVIDIA Web site:
http://www.nvidia.com

andicap
06-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks, Ralph. The video driver makes sense since even when it loads in normal mode, I get only 4-bit video! I can work in WORD, print, etc., even get email throug the web, but I can't get online.

I'll try your suggestions!