PDA

View Full Version : Wise Dan: early September return

Grits
08-05-2015, 10:05 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/93410/wise-dan-on-target-for-september-return

Contrary to popular belief... there are other horses aside from American Pharoah headed to the track each day. Who knew! ... It will be nice to see Wise Dan return. Wishing this warrior the best. :)

LoPresti is considering the Bernard Baruch Handicap (gr. IIT) Sept. 7 at 1 1/16 miles on the turf at Saratoga Race Course (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/racetracks/24/saratoga-race-course) and the Ricoh Woodbine Mile (Can-I) Sept. 13 on the Woodbine (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/racetracks/28/woodbine) turf for the Mort Fink homebred.

raybo
08-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Can't wait, that's my man!!

Grits
08-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Wise Dan works at Keeneland again for Woodbine Mile.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/93765/wise-dan-works-woodbine-mile-most-likely

classhandicapper
08-18-2015, 12:32 PM
The Woodbine Mile is likely to be a terribly difficult spot for a horse coming off a long layoff due to injuries that may have already been losing a step prior to the setback. I want so much for this comeback to work out well, but I don't get it at all.

PoloUK6108
08-18-2015, 01:18 PM
1 turn as opposed to 2 in Bernard Baruch, his times at Woodbine have been freakish, not a handicap, win and you're in event for BC..

PoloUK6108
08-18-2015, 01:23 PM
The horse had his belly opened up in June and he won the Shadwell with ease...I like how everyone says "he may have lost a step." Yeah, it's possible, but no evidence is there to suggest that..

classhandicapper
08-18-2015, 01:33 PM
The horse had his belly opened up in June and he won the Shadwell with ease...I like how everyone says "he may have lost a step." Yeah, it's possible, but no evidence is there to suggest that..

It's not unusual for a horse to start declining at his age.

His figures have been gently declining on average over the last couple of years.

If you don't trust figures (a reasonable position), he was life or death to win a couple of races last year against horses he would have toyed with a few years back.

He looked great in his final start last year, but if comes back as good as ever this year and pulls off the WO Mile and BC Mile, the statue he should get should be even bigger than the one he already deserves.

raybo
08-18-2015, 01:53 PM
The Woodbine Mile is likely to be a terribly difficult spot for a horse coming off a long layoff due to injuries that may have already been losing a step prior to the setback. I want so much for this comeback to work out well, but I don't get it at all.

It appears obvious to me that the "Mile" is only a prep for the BC. I will be surprised if Dan wins this one, but it will tell the connections where he's at after the long layoff. If he runs poorly we may not see him in the BC, but if he runs well, I would expect him to run well in the BC also, assuming he comes out of the Mile ok. Winning either would be epic, IMO, but a good finish in both would make me smile anyway. I love this horse and nothing that happens in the future will change that.

classhandicapper
08-18-2015, 02:14 PM
It appears obvious to me that the "Mile" is only a prep for the BC. I will be surprised if Dan wins this one, but it will tell the connections where he's at after the long layoff. If he runs poorly we may not see him in the BC, but if he runs well, I would expect him to run well in the BC also, assuming he comes out of the Mile ok. Winning either would be epic, IMO, but a good finish in both would make me smile anyway. I love this horse and nothing that happens in the future will change that.

Nothing can change my opinion of him either. IMO, he's already in the conversation for best US turf miler over the last 40 years. There's nothing left to prove. I guess I'm just a risk averse guy and would rather see him on a farm somewhere.

raybo
08-18-2015, 02:46 PM
Nothing can change my opinion of him either. IMO, he's already in the conversation for best US turf miler over the last 40 years. There's nothing left to prove. I guess I'm just a risk averse guy and would rather see him on a farm somewhere.

Well, "risk averse" is ok, but as a gelding he is more worth the risk of continuing to race as long as he is up to it.

Seems quite evident to me that he loves to race. If you put him on a farm, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he didn't try to get into some races with others out in the pasture! :lol:

PoloUK6108
08-18-2015, 03:31 PM
Charlie said he was really bored at the farm before he got back to KEE..he's a blue collar beast and he likes his job. His body just has to keep up with his heart. Hope the betting public doubts him, maybe we can get a juicy 6/5 on him :lol:

raybo
08-18-2015, 04:12 PM
I won't be betting him at low odds, but I also won't be betting against him, at any odds. I have too much respect for what Dan is capable of, and he can beat most even when he isn't at peak form. As I said, I think it's just a prep for the BC, so they might not push him too hard, but he could win anyway, if he gets the chance. I suspect the odds will be 2/1 or lower and, under the circumstances, that's not enough leeway for my money.

VeryOldMan
08-18-2015, 05:39 PM
A big amen to fellow Wise Dan fans in this thread. He probably is on the downside, but that doesn't detract from what he's done.

I loved Forego - ultimately his age, body and the weight he had to carry were against him. I likewise root for Wise Dan unconditionally as a fan - doesn't mean I'll wager on him, but he's been good for this sport.

horses4courses
08-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Wise Dan owes nothing to anyone.
He's as game a horse as there is.

If he's still got it - great :ThmbUp:
If not, he'll enjoy a good retirement.

With a bit of luck, there's still some more G1 wins left in him.

raybo
08-18-2015, 06:07 PM

We'll know after his next race. If he's competitive and comes out of it fine, I suspect he'll win more G1s.

tanner12oz
08-18-2015, 06:39 PM
This is the greatest horse I have seen in person and remotely. Horse has brought me more joy then even my biggest monetary scores. I simply love this horse and would love to see him again at keeneland this fall.

thespaah
08-18-2015, 09:31 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/93410/wise-dan-on-target-for-september-return

Contrary to popular belief... there are other horses aside from American Pharoah headed to the track each day. Who knew! ... It will be nice to see Wise Dan return. Wishing this warrior the best. :)
It5 would be fantastic for Saratoga to get Wise Dan during what is essentially a down week( Btween Travers and closing day) for the Spa.

thespaah
08-18-2015, 09:35 PM

When Wise Dan is retired, It is my hope Old Friends gets to board him.

PoloUK6108
08-25-2015, 02:58 PM
Worked 5 in 59 flat this a.m. breezing..feelin those oats!

RXB
09-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Final serious workout today before the Woodbine Mile.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/94080/wise-dan-completes-final-breeze-for-woodbine

EMD4ME
09-01-2015, 02:50 PM
Can't WAIT to see the old boy in action! Win or lose a great thing to see :) knock em dead Wise Dan !!!

raybo
09-01-2015, 04:07 PM
Can't WAIT to see the old boy in action! Win or lose a great thing to see :) knock em dead Wise Dan !!!

Me too! I love this horse!!

OntheRail
09-01-2015, 04:53 PM
Wise Dan is and always will be a Classy Champion. Here's wishing his body is as strong as his will to win. :ThmbUp:

OntheRail
09-01-2015, 04:54 PM
On this we fully agree... ;)

EMD4ME
09-01-2015, 05:49 PM
On this we fully agree... ;)

Ha ha. It's about time.

Any idea who's riding? Please don't say John "After 3 mounts, I'm still learning how NOT to give a brutal trip to Tonalist" Velazquez...

raybo
09-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Ha ha. It's about time.

Any idea who's riding? Please don't say John "After 3 mounts, I'm still learning how NOT to give a brutal trip to Tonalist" Velazquez...

I doubt it will matter who rides him, if he is on his game he'll do just fine.

PoloUK6108
09-01-2015, 06:15 PM
Wouldn't want anyone else on him, he knows Dan well. Who would you have on him EMD?

EMD4ME
09-01-2015, 06:19 PM
Wouldn't want anyone else on him, he knows Dan well. Who would you have on him EMD?

He knows him well but he's just not riding strong lately. Fast start at Spa and fizzled out. Johnny rides wide to avoid being trampled. Was hoping Husbands would get the mount or god, I can't believe this is coming out of my mouth, Castellano would ride him.

I really admire Wise Dan and want him to do well. Would hate to see a poor ride cost him which could happen if he's lost a step. A great ride can help him run well, which will matter a lot if he lost a step.

My top choice would be Rosario at this point but I don't want a guy who will ride the hair off of him in his first start back. I woud think he needs a prep before giving 110% exhertion.

PoloUK6108
09-01-2015, 06:36 PM
That's Dan's race though..get covered and settle, hook to the outside on the turn and blast. He might have fizzled at the Spa, but he's Wise Dan's captain. Charlie even asked Johnny's opinion on where WD would fit best coming back.

EMD4ME
09-01-2015, 06:40 PM
That's Dan's race though..get covered and settle, hook to the outside on the turn and blast. He might have fizzled at the Spa, but he's Wise Dan's captain. Charlie even asked Johnny's opinion on where WD would fit best coming back.

That's my point, I want him covered up, angle out and burst. Hope JV can do that again with him. If I see him 4 wide the whole way uncovered, I'll blow a blood vessel again !!!

Won't be betting, just rooting.

OntheRail
09-01-2015, 07:50 PM
Ha ha. It's about time.

I'd stick with the tried and true... JV knows Dan and more importantly Dan trust him to stay out of his way.

no breathalyzer
09-01-2015, 08:04 PM
maybe C.Hill can get the mount :lol: seriously tho JV. will be just fine

EMD4ME
09-02-2015, 01:57 AM
maybe C.Hill can get the mount :lol: seriously tho JV. will be just fine

Oh no...... :bang: :bang: :bang: :lol: I'll take Johnny V please....