PDA

View Full Version : Michael Dickinson to make training comeback

horses4courses
08-03-2015, 09:19 PM
Eccentric?
Slightly.

Nevertheless, he is a fine horseman and trained winners at a high %.
I, for one, will be very glad to see him back. :ThmbUp:

Michael Dickinson, whose training feats include sending out the first five finishers in the Cheltenham Gold Cup and training Da Hoss to win two editions of the Breeders’ Cup Mile, is coming out of retirement to train again at his Tapeta Farm.

http://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/racing-news/3248-dickinson-set-for-training-return#.VcANjkPBZyQ.twitter

EMD4ME
08-03-2015, 09:29 PM
Eccentric?
Slightly.

Nevertheless, he is a fine horseman and trained winners at a high %.
I, for one, will be very glad to see him back. :ThmbUp:

http://thisishorseracing.com/news/index.php/racing-news/3248-dickinson-set-for-training-return#.VcANjkPBZyQ.twitter

Wasn't he the one who made a track, excuse me :lol: , truck load of money selling poly to many tracks?

Nevertheless, glad to see him back. Good luck to him.

horses4courses
08-03-2015, 09:33 PM
Wasn't he the one who made a track, excuse me :lol: , truck load of money selling poly to many tracks?

Nevertheless, glad to see him back. Good luck to him.

Yes.
Tapeta was his product.
Still is, I'm guessing.

Of all the artificial surfaces, Tapeta seems the safest and most durable.

NorCalGreg
08-03-2015, 09:51 PM
Yes.
Tapeta was his product.
Still is, I'm guessing.

Of all the artificial surfaces, Tapeta seems the safest and most durable.

Yep...GGF installed the Tapeta track, have not had a problem with it.

EMD4ME
08-03-2015, 10:33 PM
Yep...GGF installed the Tapeta track, have not had a problem with it.

I miss Bay Meadows....Loved to wager on it and loved the dirt surface :(

Stillriledup
08-04-2015, 12:02 AM
I never knew the guy retired, he only runs one horse a year so i figured i had just missed that one. :D

horses4courses
08-04-2015, 12:12 AM
I never knew the guy retired, he only runs one horse a year so i figured i had just missed that one. :D

Hardee har..... :rolleyes:

Dickinson trained from 1989 to 2007 in the U.S., winning 587 races from 2,538 starts and purses of $20,886,612.

There aren't too many trainers around who
can win at 25% without the use of steroids, etc.

KirisClown
08-04-2015, 01:19 AM
I wonder if we'll get more of this if he comes back..

Hiring Private Eyes (http://nypost.com/1999/11/20/dickinsons-at-root-of-breeders-intrigue/)

Making Everyone Uncomfortable (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-11-23/sports/9911230447_1_gulfstream-park-breeders-cup-bond)

Ruffian1
08-04-2015, 09:12 AM
Hardee har..... :rolleyes:

can win at 25% without the use of steroids, etc.

He didn't ?

Ruffian1
08-04-2015, 09:14 AM
I wonder if we'll get more of this if he comes back..

Hiring Private Eyes (http://nypost.com/1999/11/20/dickinsons-at-root-of-breeders-intrigue/)

Making Everyone Uncomfortable (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1999-11-23/sports/9911230447_1_gulfstream-park-breeders-cup-bond)

Yep

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2015, 09:43 AM
can win at 25% without the use of steroids, etc.I love how people can be so CERTAIN a trainer was not using PERFECTLY LEGAL RACE DAY MEDICATION (at the time anyway)...

Hardee har indeed!

Robert Fischer
08-04-2015, 10:06 AM
In that era, didn't basically all trainers give regular steroid shots, and then say with a straight face that in horses it was "therapeutic", and not "performance enhancing"?

horses4courses
08-04-2015, 10:18 AM
I love how people can be so CERTAIN a trainer was not using PERFECTLY LEGAL RACE DAY MEDICATION (at the time anyway)...

Hardee har indeed!

I could be wrong....Dickinson appears to be a perfectionist.
We'll see how he does in the months ahead.

Doing a little research, I see you have been on a slippery slope
with this topic before. 10 years ago - well before I joined here.
I don't recognize most of the thread contributors.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18112

PaceAdvantage
08-04-2015, 10:29 AM
I'm just pointing out how interesting I find it when certain trainers are proclaimed to be absolute saints, even going so far as claiming they didn't use certain LEGAL medications...like how would you know? They certainly wouldn't get slapped with a positive, since it was legal!

magwell
08-04-2015, 12:04 PM
In that era, didn't basically all trainers give regular steroid shots, and then say with a straight face that in horses it was "therapeutic", and not "performance enhancing"?Exactly right and Dickinson was no different than any others at that time.......;)

reckless
08-04-2015, 05:30 PM
I always knew Sir Michael liked walking the turf course before the race, but never in my right mind did I ever think he walked on it in high-heels!

horses4courses
08-04-2015, 09:32 PM
I always knew Sir Michael liked walking the turf course before the race, but never in my right mind did I ever think he walked on it in high-heels!

As far as I know, you're a bit premature with the knighthood.
Michael Stoute is the only Sir Michael in racing, I'm thinking.

To my knowledge, Michael Dickinson has never been honored by QEII.
No OBE, MBE, or anything like that, either.

The high heels story is funny.
It was a pretty smart way to get an accurate read on the turf, though.

reckless
08-04-2015, 09:59 PM
As far as I know, you're a bit premature with the knighthood.
Michael Stoute is the only Sir Michael in racing, I'm thinking.

To my knowledge, Michael Dickinson has never been honored by QEII.
No OBE, MBE, or anything like that, either.

The high heels story is funny.
It was a pretty smart way to get an accurate read on the turf, though.

You are correct h4c.

Sir Michael Stoute is one of the all-time greats in our great game, and would forever be honored even if he never was knighted by the Queen.

Dickinson is an excellent horseman and I will never diss his training prowess but I do admit to having a tough time with the high heels. :)

horses4courses
08-04-2015, 10:22 PM
You are correct h4c.

Sir Michael Stoute is one of the all-time greats in our great game, and would forever be honored even if he never was knighted by the Queen.

Dickinson is an excellent horseman and I will never diss his training prowess but I do admit to having a tough time with the high heels. :)

I'll give you that one ;)

I wonder what his next outlandish training quirk will be?
Glad he'll be around to get up to some more weird antics. :ThmbUp:

Ruffian1
08-04-2015, 10:30 PM
I saw him as well as a few others walk the turf course plenty of times. Never saw any high heels though.
Any small sharp object would do fine and plenty, including myself, used various small sharp objects to get a feel .
Sounds like more BS that is the mystique of that guy.
Yes, he walked both the main and turf course sometimes.
Nothing plenty of us didn't also do to be honest.
No high heels for me though. However the cocktail dress I slipped on to walk it was simply adorable.

horses4courses
08-04-2015, 10:37 PM
I saw him as well as a few others walk the turf course plenty of times. Never saw any high heels though.
Any small sharp object would do fine and plenty, including myself, used various small sharp objects to get a feel .
Sounds like more BS that is the mystique of that guy.
Yes, he walked both the main and turf course sometimes.
Nothing plenty of us didn't also do to be honest.
No high heels for me though. However the cocktail dress I slipped on to walk it was simply adorable.

Haha

The high heels, I think, were up at Woodbine for Da Hoss.
I doubt he made a habit of it, but you never know. :lol:

Grits
08-05-2015, 01:57 AM
Never bought into the high heels business; the having another trainer followed though? That was pretty bad.

A fine trainer and a nice one to see coming back to racing.

mountainman
08-05-2015, 04:26 PM
A real gentleman behind the scenes. As the developer of Tapeta, he probably expected to make a fortune, and occasionally I wonder how he handled the crash.

Dickinson won our derby with Soto, and we became friendly. It's been quite awhile since I've heard from him, however, and I hope my outspoken advocacy of dirt isn't the reason.

SuperPickle
08-05-2015, 05:28 PM
Can we take some wagers on...

1. The first high profile owners to give him horses. I know both the Prestons (da Hoss,) Steinbrenners (Bellamy Road at 2) and Winchell (Tapit) had horses with him in the past.

2. The first high profile horse someone takes and gives to him. We know Shared Belief loves the Tapata. I'm sure if Michael got him TODAY he thinks he might have him ready for the 2017 BC Classic assuming no setbacks or prep races. If Rome wants a prep its going to have to be the 2018 Classic.

highnote
08-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Off the top of my head the two stats I remember about him -- he once saddled 12 winners in one day. He had the first 5 finishers in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

There are some other impressive ones besides Da Hoss, but I can't remember them all now.

Shemp Howard
08-05-2015, 11:27 PM
He has his sights set on winning a race at Royal Ascot.

I'm not counting him out.

v j stauffer
08-06-2015, 01:14 AM
I've had the distinct pleasure of knowing Michael Dickinson for over 20 years.

Everything he has done, no matter the forum, has been for the betterment of the horse and our great game.

Welcome back Michael.