PDA

View Full Version : Tom Durkin - :( see if this isnt so typical of the man .. keep scrolling ..

BeatTheChalk
06-04-2004, 02:08 PM
A SMARTY PLAY
By TOM DURKIN

OVERVIEW

Race of the year? Absolutely. Race of the decade? Yup. Race of the Century? Well, at the least the 21st. Pick your own superlative for the 136th Belmont Stakes. You won't be accused of hyperbole. It has it all. The undefeated, over achieving middle class hero who overcomes adversity to win the most sanctified honor in The Sport Of Kings. But for we who are lovers of the game true, dedicated lovers of the game, there is only one thing we wish for. Money. We want to cash. But with this Belmont there is a pari-mutuel problem-prohibitive odds. Stay with me. I have a plan.

MAIN CONTENDERS
Smarty Jones. End of story.

Okay, for the record ... Rock Hard Ten: He is going to have to improve by an unrealistic amount. Smarty will have to digress a similar amount. Do not use the Easy Goer-Sunday Silence scenario here. Sunday Silence wins first two legs of Triple Crown and then at Belmont the massive, talented Easy Goer stretches that mammoth stride over the wide turns and turns the tables on his rival. Not in this Belmont. The margin of victory in the Easy Goer-Sunday Silence Preakness could have been measured by a microscope. The Smarty Jones-Rock Hard Ten Preakness required a survey crew.

PURGE: In the same boat as Rock Hard Ten, he would have to improve a similar amount that Smarty Jones would have to regress. I like him quite a bit, but not necessarily this Saturday.

Eddington: Bailey and others have been raving all spring about his potential. So far he is just a winner of an allowance race at Gulfstream a few months ago.

Even two of his one-time major threats weren't so major after all. They're not even running now.

Tapit: Won the Wood. Narrowly over Eddington and Master David. Both have been demolished by Smarty Jones. And Master David was embarrassed in the Peter Pan. Smarty , of course, annihilated Tapit in the Derby. Off track? OK. But ,let's face it ,a bet on Tapit is a bet on the wizardry of "the mad genius" Michael Dickinson. He is capable of incredible feats. But he is mortal. Very mortal in New York -in 2003 when he was 0 for 15.

The Cliff's Edge: Ok we forgive his Shoeless Joe Jackson imitation in the Derby. We turn back to an impressive, high speed figure win in The Bluegrass. He beat Lion heart by a half length. (refer to Derby and Preaknees chart) He missed a lot of training taking care off those tender feet of his.

The others: My sense of Christian Charity prevents me from commenting on their ability to win the Belmont.

So that leaves us with Smarty Jones at 1-5. Stay with me . I have a plan.
The HorsePlayer Poll
From a wagering standpoint, which new technologies do you utilize?
Phone Account Wagering
Online Account Wagering
Both Phone Account Wagering and Online Account Wagering
I Do Not Wager From Home

Click Here
for Belmont Park Weather

Not a subscriber?
Click here to subscribe.

Click Here
for HorsePlayer's top ranked North American Horse.

Test Your Knowledge of Triple Crown Prep Races
Try Our Latest Crossword Puzzle

VALUE PLAYS

No way I am going to guess who is going to be second. Could be The Cliffs Edge, Tapit, Eddington, who ever. And the exacta is going to pay $4.80. No thank you. The value play is Smarty Jones to win. Stay with me.

WAGERING STRATEGIES ($100 Bankroll)
Would you take 3-1 on Smarty Jones?

I have been given $100 "mythical" NTRA dollars. Go to Belmont. Purchase one hundred separate one dollar win bets on Smarty Jones. DO NOT CASH THE TICKETS. Sell your souvenir tickets on eBay for $4 each. Easy game.

Tom Durkin is the track announcer at Belmont Park and the voice of the Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup World Thoroughbred Championships on NBC Sports.

Any Pick 6 Carryovers today? Click Here to find out

CONTEST CORNER
Upcoming Tourneys

CryingForTheHorses
06-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Thats what Durkin needs to do..Call Rces..sip his coffee..and eat DONUTS..