PDA

View Full Version : rowdy roddy piper dies at 61....

proximity
07-31-2015, 07:44 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-turnstile/wrestling-superstar-roddy-piper-dead-at-61-224152886.html

:(

always a big fan of his piper's pit, rip.

Shemp Howard
07-31-2015, 10:38 PM
"Just when you think you have all the answers, I change the questions!"

Zydeco
07-31-2015, 10:49 PM
Rowdy Roddy Piper was one of the greats!

jballscalls
07-31-2015, 11:38 PM
Piper was great. Longtime Portland area resident too and liked by everyone in the community.

TJDave
08-01-2015, 03:20 AM
Rowdy Roddy Piper was one of the greats!

Of what?

ManU918
08-01-2015, 03:25 AM
Of what?

Of wrestling.

TJDave
08-01-2015, 03:29 AM
Of wrestling.

Of quackery.

Do you honestly not know that? :rolleyes:

Tor Ekman
08-01-2015, 06:56 AM
One of the great wrestling entertainers and was good in that "B" flick "They Live" about aliens living amongst us exposed by his shades.

johnhannibalsmith
08-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Of quackery.

You really add a lot to this one.

Tom
08-01-2015, 11:19 AM
Of wrestling and Charity. Roddy was a giver - he spend more time helping kids and cancer victims then he did knocking skulls. He flew all the way from California to do a benefit for Golisano Children's Hospital, in the middle of shooting a movie. Stopped into do alive interview for the local Pain Clinic talk wrestling radio show, then took the red-eye back home.

He was truly one of the good guys - always helping others.
Canada can be proud of their Rowdy one.

Connection to tonight's fight with Rowdy Rhonda Rousey - look for her to have some kind of tribute to him before her match. My bet is she comes to the ring in a kilt, maybe bagpipes?

GKXpSyjfIik

Tom
08-01-2015, 11:24 AM
One of the great wrestling entertainers and was good in that "B" flick "They Live" about aliens living amongst us exposed by his shades.

One of cinema's greatest moments! :lol:
Wp_K8prLfso

NorCalGreg
08-01-2015, 01:31 PM
61 seems to be an advanced age for ex-wrestlers. Hell, ex-boxers seem to live longer as a group....if you can excuse the Parkinson's, Dimentia, etc.

OTM Al
08-01-2015, 01:50 PM
John Carpenter films rate better than "b flick". Really fun movie and Roddy was perfect for the role.

cj
08-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Piper's Pit was the greatest. It was really the start of what you see in wrestling today. In the past, they just wrestled.

Stillriledup
08-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Piper's Pit was the greatest. It was really the start of what you see in wrestling today. In the past, they just wrestled.

No doubt it was must see tv.

zico20
08-01-2015, 05:28 PM
He has always been my second favorite wrestler of all time behind Nature Boy Ric Flair. Pipers Pit was always my favorite part of the show. Died way too young.

Shemp Howard
08-01-2015, 08:51 PM
He has always been my second favorite wrestler of all time behind Nature Boy Ric Flair. Pipers Pit was always my favorite part of the show. Died way too young.

"Nature Boy, what's that? Do you run around the forest like Euell Gibbons, eating bark or something?" -RRP

ManU918
08-01-2015, 09:07 PM
Of quackery.

Its posts like this that turn people away from this forum. The guy is dead. If you don't like wrestling fine but don't say what the guy did was quackery. Those guys put their bodies through hell to entertain a lot of people.

MutuelClerk
08-01-2015, 09:22 PM
They are athletes no question. The outcome is scripted ( oops spoiler alert). Doing what they do isn't easy. Rowdy was among the best. Pipers Pit was great. What makes most of the great ones is being exciting in the ring and great with a microphone. Piper is pretty close to the standard you judge the great ones by he will certainly be missed.

The reason I rarely watch anymore was CM Punk leaving. He's about the only guy who could interview or keep the crowd entertained. Zico said his all time favorite was the Nature Boy. Mine is Mick Foley, oops, Foley Is God. Who was your favorites?

cj
08-01-2015, 10:27 PM
They are athletes no question. The outcome is scripted ( oops spoiler alert). Doing what they do isn't easy. Rowdy was among the best. Pipers Pit was great. What makes most of the great ones is being exciting in the ring and great with a microphone. Piper is pretty close to the standard you judge the great ones by he will certainly be missed.

The reason I rarely watch anymore was CM Punk leaving. He's about the only guy who could interview or keep the crowd entertained. Zico said his all time favorite was the Nature Boy. Mine is Mick Foley, oops, Foley Is God. Who was your favorites?

The Rock was obviously a great entertainer as well.

ronsmac
08-01-2015, 10:30 PM

Chief Jay Strongbow, he got stronger the more he got punched in the face. Plus who couldn't love an Italian guy who pretended to be a native American, he had the sterotype down pat. When he went on the warpath it was game over.

TJDave
08-01-2015, 10:43 PM
Its posts like this that turn people away from this forum. The guy is dead. If you don't like wrestling fine but don't say what the guy did was quackery. Those guys put their bodies through hell to entertain a lot of people.

I love wrestling.

The last guy with serious wrestling cred was Danny Hodge. These guys are clowns. Call them entertainers but, please, not wrestlers.

dartman51
08-01-2015, 11:45 PM
I love wrestling.

The last guy with serious wrestling cred was Danny Hodge. These guys are clowns. Call them entertainers but, please, not wrestlers.

Telling your age now, TJ. :D I remember some epic battles he had with Jerry Brisco. I remember watching Saturday night Wrestling out of Oklahoma. The announcer, Danny Williams, always signed off with, "Watch out for flying chairs." Never really cared much for the newer stuff. Too much theater, for me.

Tor Ekman
08-01-2015, 11:53 PM
Best champ ever was Bruno Sammartino, best interview as wrestler and later as manager was Classie Freddie Blassie, one of my more obscure personal favorites as understated interview and decent wrestler was Don Muraco. Rowdy Roddy is legendary.

proximity
08-02-2015, 12:30 AM
omg in mma hodge woulda been a handful, possible goat.

back on topic of fake wrestling though I'd say jesse the body ventura was one of my favorites. always quick witted and great interplay with the other announcers like "McMahon" and "monsoon."

even had his own pit-esque "body shop" for awhile. :D

cj
08-02-2015, 01:07 AM
He was truly one of the good guys - always helping others.
Canada can be proud of their Rowdy one.

Ummm...he was from Scotland...duh.

ReplayRandall
08-02-2015, 01:15 AM
Birth name
Roderick George Toombs

Born
April 17, 1954
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Died
July 31, 2015 (aged 61)
Hollywood, California, United States

Ring name(s)
Roddy Piper[1]
The Canadian
The Masked Canadian[2][3]
Piper Machine

Billed height
6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)[1]

Billed from
Glasgow, Scotland[1]

Trained by
Gene LeBell
Leo Garibaldi
Tony Condello
Joe Fiorino

Debut

Retired

buzzy
08-02-2015, 08:55 AM
Birth name
Roderick George Toombs

Born
April 17, 1954
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

Died
July 31, 2015 (aged 61)
Hollywood, California, United States

Ring name(s)
Roddy Piper[1]
The Canadian
The Masked Canadian[2][3]
Piper Machine

Billed height
6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)[1]

Billed from
Glasgow, Scotland[1]

Trained by
Gene LeBell
Leo Garibaldi
Tony Condello
Joe Fiorino

Debut

Retired

gene lebell was one of the most well respected people across the board, from boxing to mma...rowdy had one of the best in his corner.

rip rowdy

i never posted a link before.. if it doesnt work, go to you tube and search gene labell and rowdy piper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAcXaF6t70s

Tom
08-02-2015, 10:34 AM

Yes, but he had lived and wrestled out of Canada.

Tom
08-02-2015, 10:36 AM
btw, nice tribute from Rhonda Rousey last night.....34 seconds to destroy her opponent.

johnhannibalsmith
08-02-2015, 03:13 PM
Yes, but he had lived and wrestled out of Canada.

I got the impression that CJ and the "duh" was mocking those that like to impress with their knowledge that wrestling is 98% fiction.

cj
08-02-2015, 03:38 PM
I got the impression that CJ and the "duh" was mocking those that like to impress with their knowledge that wrestling is 98% fiction.

Wow, people really thought I believed he was from Scotland? Just wow.

OTM Al
08-02-2015, 04:55 PM
For some reason there are adults that take this stuff way too seriously. A few years back I absolutely outraged a few people when I noted the homo-erotic nature of pro wrestling, but for some reason they didn't think an activity involving muscular, oiled, nearly naked men grappling with each other fit that description....

proximity
08-02-2015, 05:44 PM

I thought he was just helping all of us struggling gamblers get through summer by letting us know that he is human too. :D

Tom
08-03-2015, 08:33 PM

D'oh!