PDA

View Full Version : Top Speed

chickenhead
06-04-2004, 12:24 PM
I've hunted around on the web, couldn't find the answer. Maybe someone here can help.

How much time would you guestimate it takes an average thoroughbred to get up to top speed from a full stop? I'm guessing between 3-5 seconds, any reason to think I'm way off?

Buddha
06-04-2004, 12:37 PM
i believe that i have heard within 3 or 5 strides. PurplePower knows, and he told us up at Toga, but I can't remember.

cj
06-04-2004, 12:41 PM
This info is in Charles Carrol's book...I'll get back to you soon if noone else can find it first.

cj
06-04-2004, 12:42 PM
This info is in Charles Carrol's book...I'll get back to you soon if noone else can find it first.

Also, I'm pretty sure its no way near that quickly buddha, but I'm old, so I could be wrong.

chickenhead
06-04-2004, 12:46 PM
makes sense it would be measured in strides, I think I remember seeing something on Discovery Channel about cheetahs, I think they are just a few strides, so I guess it is possible horses could be as well, but seems like it would take them just a bit longer due to being so much bigger.

cj
06-04-2004, 01:04 PM
OK, Carroll did lots of timing of quarter horses, who of course are trying to get to top speed as quickly as possible. He concluded, "Horses are gaining speed at 50 yards, but are still far from full bore."

There is a nice graph in the book, but he never really gives an answer as to when top speed occurs, only that it is between 50 and 220 yards. A graph from the book suggests that it would be closer to 220 than 50.

Assuming mid point of 135 yards (395 feet), and a horse stride of 20 feet (also from the book), we are talking around 20 strides from the gate.

chickenhead
06-04-2004, 01:14 PM
great info CJ, thanks for looking that up.

kenwoodallpromos
06-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Extreme track conditions could make a difference.
I would guess 1 second (about 55') as that is about the farthest between the gate and timer (timer is at SP or Starting Position).

cj
06-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Ken,

These were quarter horses, the gate is the start time.

kenwoodallpromos
06-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Santa Anita should have 5 different starting positions. One for zero, one for 8 feet, one for 15 feet, one for 24 feet and one for 30 feet out, but in reality, they only have 3 different positions, namely one for 0 and 8 feet, one for 15 feet out, and finally one for

24 and 30 feet out.

And no, they don’t compensate the run-up time (the time elapsed with the horses running before they start the timing clock). I know this to be true as I’ve hand timed these mile events countless times and at every meet to be sure.

Form Pace Advantage home page, part 13 Joe's articles in reading room; for non-quarter horse SA turf races. Run-up and timing.