PDA

View Full Version : My case for Eddington (to run well)

andicap
06-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Forgetting the rain for a second,

I'm going to make a pitch for Eddington. Not saying he'll beat SJ, but he's the forgotten horse here IMHO.

This was posted by me on the HTR board using Cramer speed
figs with the lower the better. Each point is about a fifth of
a second (yeah its imprecise but close enough).

Three months ago te paired his 10s, definite reasons to bounce and he did, back to a 15 in a race where
he got bumped at the start. Running far off the pace isn't his game.
Then he came back with a 14 in a frankly disappointing Wood. His only excuse is there was
a ton of speed in the race and although the pace was moderate Eddington still dueled and the winner came from way off the pace. (It can be almost as stressful dueling into a
moderate pace as a fast one at times.) In that race, the Wood Memorial, Tapit's' %E figs in his previous LIVE races were
very sustained, below 51%. Eddington's normal races were about at 51%.
In a race with a lot of speed you want to look for a horse with low E% (but usually on the
dirt not THAT low -- you got to model the track).

The Preakness figure to me is a throwout. He was so wide and got into trouble in the stretch that no way could he run his normal race. That doesn't figure to happen today
with the sweeping turns.

So if Eddington can build on his 10 from three months ago he can contend, at least for the exotics and to win, you never know.
Also, Eddington's early presser style could play well in a race with not much pace assuming he can get 12f and his 870 rating (predigree, out of 999) sure is encouraging. He still carries that 93 workout rating (out of 100, an excellent figure)
and when do you get such long odds on Jerry Bailey?

In one of the paceline scenarios -- best AP in last 6 months at a route, he's 3rd in one key velocity measure -- so he's not a rank outsider.

Now I don't know if he can run in the mud and that's what I need to ascertain today.

So for now, Eddington is my key in exotics, heavier in 2nd and 3rd place of course. With the heavy betting on Purge and Rock Hard 10, I bet Eddington is 15 or 20-1.

Now with the bad weather, expect some scratches, so if Purge scratches, Eddington might only be say, 10-1 and not such great value in the exotics anymore.

kenwoodallpromos
06-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Did you read ED's last workout? In company with a 21-1 4th place allowance horse who he was suppose to beat up on from off the pace. bailey was up and said the company went too short, Ed ran too fast, and still barely won the fixed work by 3/4.
What is your opinion of the work?

kenwoodallpromos
06-04-2004, 02:25 PM
________________ ELMONT, N.Y. -- Eddington, the third-place finisher in the Preakness, completed preparations for Saturday's 136th Belmont Stakes by working a sharp five furlongs in 59.10 seconds Sunday morning at Belmont Park.

Jerry Bailey, the regular rider of Eddington, was in the irons for the move, which was done in company with the maiden winning 3-year-old Withprobability. The plan was for the stablemate to act as a target for Eddington, but Withprobability never got far enough in front of Eddington to accomplish that. Eddington was aggressive throughout the move, according to Bailey, and finished about a half-length in front at the wire.

"I tried to slow him down but you look at him and you look at me," Bailey said. "I wanted a target as far as I could have one and the other horse just stayed enough to keep him aggressive. He was aggressive and he's focused right now. Can he keep it through a mile and a half, that's the question."

Trainer Mark Hennig said he was looking for a work in the 1:00-to-1:01 range, but is hoping the aggressiveness Eddington showed is a good sign.

"I'd love to see him get aggressive," Hennig said. "Both Jerry and I have always felt confident he has the ability it's just a matter of him being aggressive enough and developing that instinct to want to go after somebody or get the job done."

This other horse just finished 4th in an allowance race after being 12-1 (not 21-1) odds; Eddington just barely outran it. Can you tell if Eddington has a chance to keep up with Smarty at the start? What do you think about Smarty generally out of the gate to the 1st turn?