PDA

View Full Version : Haskell purse increase

cj
07-29-2015, 09:11 PM
I don't what most people think, but this stinks to high heaven in my opinion. Very fishy move that I think was probably known in advance by certain owners, but not others.

ronsmac
07-29-2015, 09:15 PM
Basically the 500k appearance fee I figured it was going to take to get Zayat to run. It may be a good business move if the numbers meet projections. They couldn't take any chance and lose AP. I believe Philly will be watching the attendance and handle numbers closely. They'll have to estimate the right number to get AP next and still make money.

thespaah
07-29-2015, 10:48 PM
Basically the 500k appearance fee I figured it was going to take to get Zayat to run. It may be a good business move if the numbers meet projections. They couldn't take any chance and lose AP. I believe Philly will be watching the attendance and handle numbers closely. They'll have to estimate the right number to get AP next and still make money.
Should AP come out of the Haskell in good order, do you think Zayat will go to the PA Derby next?

thespaah
07-29-2015, 10:50 PM
I don't what most people think, but this stinks to high heaven in my opinion. Very fishy move that I think was probably known in advance by certain owners, but not others.
Well, now I hope some other connections are willing to take a shot at knocking off AP...What do you think?

elhelmete
07-29-2015, 10:54 PM
I can't tell if this was done in time to allow for late/supplemental entries?

lamboguy
07-29-2015, 10:59 PM
it is pretty sad to see the direction that this game has gone to. this is just another basic disgrace.

in other parts of the world, this horse would never retire at the ripe old age of 3 either. everyone including the insurance company's get rich on this deal except for the game itself and its fans.

spiketoo
07-29-2015, 11:59 PM
It would have helped to actually post the story...

OCEANPORT, N.J. – Late Wednesday afternoon, shortly before Triple Crown winner American Pharoah arrived at Monmouth Park, track management raised the purse of Sunday's Grade 1 Haskell Invitational from $1 million to $1.75 million.

The purse increase comes less than 24 hours before entries were to be taken for the Haskell. There are four stakes for 3-year-olds in the East this week, and the competition for horses has been intense.

The $100,000 Curlin Stakes will be run Friday at Saratoga. On Saturday, the Grade 2, $600,000 Jim Dandy will be run at Saratoga and the Grade 2, $750,000 West Virginia Derby will be run at Mountaineer. On Sunday, American Pharoah tops the Haskell. All four stakes are at 1 1/8 miles.

Some horsemen have been on the fence regarding which race to choose. The hope of Monmouth management is that the extra $750,000 in purse money for the Haskell will help them make up their minds.

"It's a great purse, and hopefully we get an extra horse or two," said Mike Dempsey, the director of racing at Monmouth Park.

dilanesp
07-30-2015, 12:52 AM
Well, now I hope some other connections are willing to take a shot at knocking off AP...What do you think?

Purse increases are far better than appearance fees, for this reason.

Hollywood Park upped the purse of the Swaps Stakes, got Seattle Slew, and George Pope pocketed $300,000 for upsetting him.

That's exactly the way it should work.

dilanesp
07-30-2015, 12:56 AM
it is pretty sad to see the direction that this game has gone to. this is just another basic disgrace.

in other parts of the world, this horse would never retire at the ripe old age of 3 either. everyone including the insurance company's get rich on this deal except for the game itself and its fans.

That IS the real problem, but you can blame St. Penny Tweedy for THAT. (Count Fleet also retired early, but had a legitimate injury. Secretariat just had an owner who wanted a quick buck.)

You'll see more triple crown winners, but you'll never see a career like Affirmed or Citation ever again.

Fingal
07-30-2015, 01:30 AM
Didn't make sense. Don't you already have Pharoah for your race ? Wouldn't that 750K be better served by adding it to the general purse fund to help support the owners & trainers that don't have an American Pharoah in their barn ?

camourous
07-30-2015, 06:43 AM
"The Haskell has been called the fourth jewel of the Triple Crown," said Bob Kulina, president of Darby Development, operators of Monmouth Park.

Triple means three, not four...

Donttellmeshowme
07-30-2015, 07:02 AM
Should AP come out of the Haskell in good order, do you think Zayat will go to the PA Derby next?

Ughh Nope..........

TravisVOX
07-30-2015, 08:04 AM
It's easy to speculate on a message board. Who knows the parameters behind this decision. Perhaps they were waiting until he landed in NJ to ensure his participation before putting up the additional money.

I would argue that the 487 horses double entering this weekend is far more of a "problem" than this.

camourous
07-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Ughh Nope..........

Parx is going to throw a whole lot of money at them for him to just show up, thats the only reason they would go there.

ronsmac
07-30-2015, 08:44 AM
Should AP come out of the Haskell in good order, do you think Zayat will go to the PA Derby next? The way Bayern won the Haskell, Pa Derby and then the Breeeders cup, it would seem logical. Plus Parx has that bonus for winning tc races and the Haskell. If Delmar offers them an amazing deal and the horse can make the quick turnaround then who knows? I just want to see the horse make it to the Breeders Cup. That'll be fun.

forced89
07-30-2015, 09:19 AM
Without the purse increase we would see a 3 or 4 horse field; with it, probably a7 or 8 horse field. Second place is now worth $350k.

classhandicapper
07-30-2015, 10:27 AM
Without the purse increase we would see a 3 or 4 horse field; with it, probably a7 or 8 horse field. Second place is now worth $350k.

I think that's the key point.

If you have a good horse, you are probably running for 2nd money in the Haskell. So you have to compare your chances for 2nd money in the Haskell vs your chances for 1st money in one of the other stakes. The math changes with the extra Haskell money. Now you might even consider the Haskell over the Jim Dandy. Winning the Jim Dandy looks tougher than running for 2nd in the Haskell and there's always the remote possibility that AP doesn't fire, you win Haskell, and you make a major score.

onefast99
07-30-2015, 10:57 AM
Didn't make sense. Don't you already have Pharoah for your race ? Wouldn't that 750K be better served by adding it to the general purse fund to help support the owners & trainers that don't have an American Pharoah in their barn ?
Agree with you here as last year DD held a meeting cutting the purses going forward a few days after the Haskell was run. The same group running the track has also put a hold on the construction of the outdoor concert venue. You already have AP in your backyard, take that $750k and put it to better use, 2 more horses coming to the race wont make a difference with the estimated 60000 who will be in attendance.

onefast99
07-30-2015, 12:31 PM
$1,750,000 and you get a 6 horse field....should be a fun day at MP on Sunday enjoy!

DeanT
07-30-2015, 12:35 PM
Looks like they got 8. Nice.

onefast99
07-30-2015, 12:44 PM
Looks like they got 8. Nice.
8 it is....

ronsmac
07-30-2015, 01:00 PM
It's a great weekend to own a good 3yo. 3+ million in purses spread over 3 races makes it easy to pick your spot.

Brogan
07-30-2015, 02:06 PM
It's easy to speculate on a message board. Who knows the parameters behind this decision. Perhaps they were waiting until he landed in NJ to ensure his participation before putting up the additional money.

I would argue that the 487 horses double entering this weekend is far more of a "problem" than this.
Perhaps he wasn't going to get on the plane without the assurances of an increase?

Brogan
07-30-2015, 02:07 PM
That IS the real problem, but you can blame St. Penny Tweedy for THAT. (Count Fleet also retired early, but had a legitimate injury. Secretariat just had an owner who wanted a quick buck.)

NEEDED a quick buck. The farm was about to go down the tubes without the influx of cash.

cj
07-30-2015, 02:26 PM

I agree. One horse was entered in four races---Curlin, Jim Dandy, Haskell, WVa Derby.

As for the Haskell, it would be easy to add a condition to the purse increase --- "If the winner of a Triple Crown race participates"...it just looks bad. I'm sure they don't care about perceptions though. They got the horse.

outofthebox
07-30-2015, 02:33 PM
I agree. One horse was entered in four races---Curlin, Jim Dandy, Haskell, WVa Derby.

As for the Haskell, it would be easy to add a condition to the purse increase --- "If the winner of a Triple Crown race participates"...it just looks bad. I'm sure they don't care about perceptions though. They got the horse.Wow. That's over 20k in entry fees! And another 5-10k to start..

classhandicapper
07-30-2015, 02:50 PM
Perhaps he wasn't going to get on the plane without the assurances of an increase?

Either there was a bidding war behind the scenes a couple of weeks ago and the announcement just occurred or they raised the purse in part because they didn't want a 3-4 horse field. It was probably both. It made no sense to run against him with so many other options this week where you didn't have to concede 1st. They were struggling to put on a good race even after AP was committed.

castaway01
07-30-2015, 03:23 PM

As for the Haskell, it would be easy to add a condition to the purse increase --- "If the winner of a Triple Crown race participates"...it just looks bad. I'm sure they don't care about perceptions though. They got the horse.

I agree it's cheesy, but I prefer the late purse increase to simply paying out a $500,000 appearance fee. At least this gives everyone who runs a chance to benefit.

cj
07-30-2015, 04:00 PM
I agree it's cheesy, but I prefer the late purse increase to simply paying out a $500,000 appearance fee. At least this gives everyone who runs a chance to benefit.

I agree, I just don't like that all the horses that might have run had their connections known didn't know. Turned out ok for them, nobody will care come Sunday.

dilanesp
07-30-2015, 04:14 PM
NEEDED a quick buck. The farm was about to go down the tubes without the influx of cash.

WANTED a quick buck. She was wealthy and rich people having to sell an asset (even if true, and we don't know if other financing was available) is not the same as poverty.

It gave her a nice cover story for cashing in.

dilanesp
07-30-2015, 04:15 PM

It doesn't look bad to me. I don't even understand the principle here- why is it so terrible to increase a purse?

ronsmac
07-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Zayat did the right thing, Monmouth is going to make a killing, it's only right that he benefits.

cj
07-30-2015, 04:31 PM
It doesn't look bad to me. I don't even understand the principle here- why is it so terrible to increase a purse?

It isn't, but to do it after it is too late for invitees to reconsider accepting isn't exactly sporting. I've never seen a purse boost that late in the game. I've seen conditional purses based on which horses run, but never a big addition like that a few days before the race.

ronsmac
07-30-2015, 06:06 PM
Monmouth must be really making a killing Sunday. They're talking about luring AP back in Sept with another million dollar race and a bonus.

cj
07-30-2015, 06:23 PM
Monmouth must be really making a killing Sunday. They're talking about luring AP back in Sept with another million dollar race and a bonus.

I guess that would help the owners, wouldn't do a thing for his legacy. If they go we know it is about the money.

thespaah
07-30-2015, 06:26 PM
"The Haskell has been called the fourth jewel of the Triple Crown," said Bob Kulina, president of Darby Development, operators of Monmouth Park.

If Kulina had his wits about him, he'd stay away form his horse racing version of "the fifth major".....4th jewel....Sheesh.

thespaah
07-30-2015, 06:36 PM
8 it is....
8....Hmm. Pletcher is sending three. Two of which have no rider named. Of course its still 4 days out.
Not having PP's handy, can I guess that the two Pletcher entries which are riderless at this point, are entered for an off track?

ronsmac
07-30-2015, 06:50 PM
I guess that would help the owners, wouldn't do a thing for his legacy. If they go we know it is about the money.At this point it's got to be about the money. His legacy is already cemented. He's not getting any more from Coolmore unless they throw him a bone not to run to safeguard against injury.

camourous
07-30-2015, 06:51 PM

$20 to park $6 to get in,who knows how much they'll jack up their already high concession prices, all for 28 minutes of live action, i'd say they'll make a killing.

Grits
07-30-2015, 09:00 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/sports/racetracks-open-their-wallets-in-attempt-to-attract-american-pharoah.html?_r=0

Drazin said he tried to persuade Parx executives — as well as those at the New York Racing Association, and Del Mar and Santa Anita in California — to guarantee a $5 million bonus if American Pharoah swept the Haskell, the Breeders’ Cup Classic and either the Travers Stakes, the Pennsylvania Derby or the Pacific Classic.

After getting no takers, Drazin said Monmouth decided to bump the purse by $750,000. He is not finished, either. Drazin said that he had told Baffert that Monmouth would create a $1 million race for American Pharoah here in September on the date and at the distance Baffert, a Hall of Fame trainer, specifies for the Triple Crown champ.

alhattab
07-30-2015, 10:37 PM
I don't think Monmouth is going to handle this crowd. I heard this evening that my nieces and their friends are going. High school and college kids. Girls no less. I don't think they could find the track if you spotted them the corner of Oceanport and Port-Au-Peck Avenues, and now they're going to the Haskell. I just don't know where you put 65,000 people in Monmouth Park.

I hope these guys know what they're doing. It would be great if they could pull off with everyone having a great time and things going off without a hitch. But this is the same management team that couldn't handle 28,000 for food trucks, and the same transit system that was responsible for the Super Bowl debacle. They can't keep the paper towel dispensers full on normal days. One of the infield big screens went dead last weekend. One year I believe on Haskell Day the infield tote board failed. Hoping for the best, fearing the worst and thanking God I can walk home!

onefast99
07-31-2015, 08:48 AM
I don't think Monmouth is going to handle this crowd. I heard this evening that my nieces and their friends are going. High school and college kids. Girls no less. I don't think they could find the track if you spotted them the corner of Oceanport and Port-Au-Peck Avenues, and now they're going to the Haskell. I just don't know where you put 65,000 people in Monmouth Park.

I hope these guys know what they're doing. It would be great if they could pull off with everyone having a great time and things going off without a hitch. But this is the same management team that couldn't handle 28,000 for food trucks, and the same transit system that was responsible for the Super Bowl debacle. They can't keep the paper towel dispensers full on normal days. One of the infield big screens went dead last weekend. One year I believe on Haskell Day the infield tote board failed. Hoping for the best, fearing the worst and thanking God I can walk home!They will need to put on a really good show Sunday. They will be graded on everything except the traffic as we all know the town has that role and in the past the town has failed at keeping the traffic moving!

onefast99
07-31-2015, 08:50 AM
$20 to park $6 to get in,who knows how much they'll jack up their already high concession prices, all for 28 minutes of live action, i'd say they'll make a killing.No different then any other big event promoter, they have the facility they can charge what they want.

cj
07-31-2015, 09:04 AM
At this point it's got to be about the money. His legacy is already cemented. He's not getting any more from Coolmore unless they throw him a bone not to run to safeguard against injury.

His legacy isn't cemented. He is a Triple Crown winner. He could be a lot more if, for example, he were to win the Haskell, the Travers, and the BC Classic. Or, substitute Woodward/Pacific Classic for Travers. That would do it too. Those would make him truly great.

What won't do it is some made up race at Monmouth or the Pennsylvania Derby.

classhandicapper
07-31-2015, 09:05 AM

I hope these guys know what they're doing. It would be great if they could pull off with everyone having a great time and things going off without a hitch. But this is the same management team that couldn't handle 28,000 for food trucks, and the same transit system that was responsible for the Super Bowl debacle. They can't keep the paper towel dispensers full on normal days. One of the infield big screens went dead last weekend. One year I believe on Haskell Day the infield tote board failed. Hoping for the best, fearing the worst and thanking God I can walk home!

I'm starting to get mixed feelings about going. I hope I can at least get some bets in. I'm staying about 1 1/2 miles from the track. I could always walk there and home. :lol:

cj
07-31-2015, 09:06 AM
I'm starting to get mixed feelings about going. I hope I can at least get some bets in. I'm staying about 1 1/2 miles from the track. I could always walk there and home. :lol:

Honestly, you probably should walk. You'll be glad you did and probably arrive faster.

NY BRED
07-31-2015, 09:12 AM
NOT FOR NOTHING , MP COULD HAVE INCREASED PURSES ON HASKELL
DAY AND/OR THROUGHOUT THE SEASON TO ATTRACT BETTER
HORSES ,NOT UP TO SARATOGA STANDARDS, BUT BETTER THAN THE
5K-10K CLAIMERS ON THEIR TYPICAL RACE DAY.

THE FLIP TO THIS DISCUSION IS THAT ZAYAT IS ALMOST GETTING
DOUBLE THE PURSE AGAINST HORSES THAT AP SHOULD TROUNCE.

THAT SAID, IF AP REGRESSES, HE MIGHT JUST GO TO THE TRAVERS
AND I WOULDN'T BE AMAZED IF NYRA PULLED A 'HASKELL' TYPE
JUMP IN PURSE VALUE

cj
07-31-2015, 09:15 AM
NOT FOR NOTHING , MP COULD HAVE INCREASED PURSES ON HASKELL
DAY AND/OR THROUGHOUT THE SEASON TO ATTRACT BETTER
HORSES ,NOT UP TO SARATOGA STANDARDS, BUT BETTER THAN THE
5K-10K CLAIMERS ON THEIR TYPICAL RACE DAY.

THE FLIP TO THIS DISCUSION IS THAT ZAYAT IS ALMOST GETTING
DOUBLE THE PURSE AGAINST HORSES THAT AP SHOULD TROUNCE.

THAT SAID, IF AP REGRESSES, HE MIGHT JUST GO TO THE TRAVERS
AND I WOULDN'T BE AMAZED IF NYRA PULLED A 'HASKELL' TYPE
JUMP IN PURSE VALUE

This sounds good in theory, but in reality increasing purses usually doesn't change the horse population of a track much.

castaway01
07-31-2015, 09:30 AM

If you don't mind walking along busy roads and you're in any kind of decent physical condition, that's actually not the worst idea.

I have family obligations that it's going to be tough to get away from, so not sure I can make it.

classhandicapper
07-31-2015, 10:54 AM
Honestly, you probably should walk. You'll be glad you did and probably arrive faster.

It wouldn't be the first time I walked home from a racetrack, although it was for a different reason the last time. I bet my bus money last time. :lol:

alhattab
07-31-2015, 10:57 AM

Where you staying Class? My plan is to get a ride there early- 10ish or so- and walk home. My walk is about the same distance and I have a feeling there will be a fair number of Pilgrims that will do the same. There is a new bar called the Marina at Oceanport that will serve as an Oasis for northbound pedestrians and bicyclists!

classhandicapper
07-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Where you staying Class? My plan is to get a ride there early- 10ish or so- and walk home. My walk is about the same distance and I have a feeling there will be a fair number of Pilgrims that will do the same. There is a new bar called the Marina at Oceanport that will serve as an Oasis for northbound pedestrians and bicyclists!

I haven't had time off for awhile. I decided to splurge. I'm staying at Ocean Place Resort and Spa. Monmouth is supposedly a 5 minute drive. A lot of people I know are going to the races. It's going to be a madhouse.

dilanesp
07-31-2015, 03:58 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/31/sports/racetracks-open-their-wallets-in-attempt-to-attract-american-pharoah.html?_r=0

The Times got it wrong. They said this is the richest racein NJ history. Wrong. They ran the Breeders' Cup there.

Grits
07-31-2015, 04:51 PM
The Times got it wrong. They said this is the richest racein NJ history. Wrong. They ran the Breeders' Cup there.

Send 'em an email so they can run a correction. I'm sure they'll appreciate it.

alhattab
07-31-2015, 09:38 PM
I haven't had time off for awhile. I decided to splurge. I'm staying at Ocean Place Resort and Spa. Monmouth is supposedly a 5 minute drive. A lot of people I know are going to the races. It's going to be a madhouse.

Awesome! I'm at the Ocean Place tiki bar as I write this listening to my friends band. I've walked a lot of places including 5 miles from a bar to my home one night, and I doubt I would do the walk from Mth to the Ocean Place. Check with the hotel- they may be able to set you up with a pickup. If they can't, walk across Rt. 36 to Zachary's or a little further east to the Sitting Duck and wait things out, then call Shore Taxi. Get a guy or the number from the hotel.

It will be great the beach was beautiful today and the ocean was fantastic!

Shemp Howard
07-31-2015, 10:24 PM

They count funny in Jersey.

davew
07-31-2015, 10:24 PM

I think trainers/owners with a horse of that caliber probably found out in time to nominate. I am not sure where the extra money came from, but if it was from a 'sponsorship' of the race, I am all for it and would love to see more added money from advertising.

onefast99
08-01-2015, 11:23 AM
I think trainers/owners with a horse of that caliber probably found out in time to nominate. I am not sure where the extra money came from, but if it was from a 'sponsorship' of the race, I am all for it and would love to see more added money from advertising.
Rumor has it Parx chipped in the extra $ to lure AP there in September. If it was Parx that's a good bet!

davew
08-02-2015, 04:29 PM

It is an invitational with horses 'invited' only, so if you were on the list you found out. Both Upstart and Competitive Edge scratched from the Jim Dandy to go here.

I see it is the 'William Hill' Haskel, so added money may have came from their 'endorsement', rather than general purse fund.

cj
08-02-2015, 05:02 PM
It is an invitational with horses 'invited' only, so if you were on the list you found out. Both Upstart and Competitive Edge scratched from the Jim Dandy to go here.

That isn't true according to some of the trainers of invitees. It was new to them.

Grits
08-02-2015, 05:17 PM
Coverage is on now on NBC.... Monmouth doesn't like Belmont's wall to wall crowd on Belmont Day. Showing the Belmont....;)

OntheRail
08-02-2015, 06:07 PM
Look like a jog in the park... cause he flows so easy over the track. Simply Amazing... :jump:

FantasticDan
08-02-2015, 06:16 PM
I thought Keen Ice was gonna get 'em!! :eek: :eek:

:D :ThmbUp:

alhattab
08-02-2015, 09:29 PM
what a fantastic day at Monmouth Park today. There is no chance there was ever 61k actual bodies in the place- I personally went through the turnstiles 5 times- but they handled everything great, weather was great, people got to see the procession they wanted to see. Most importantly, this event was about Monmouth Park displaying its relevance. This was Monmouth's opportunity to show that it still has a place in the sporting world where people will attend for a big event. That's what the 2015 Haskell was all about. We'll see if this helps Monmouth convince the state of NJ to help it through the period before getting sports betting or Northern NJ casinos. Hopefully it does.

Sorry for the ramble but it's been a long day. I was out the door @ 5:30 to help set up the picnic area for the party today, and my wife just picked me up from one of the local haunts. I'm toast!

rastajenk
08-02-2015, 09:39 PM
I thought Keen Ice was gonna get 'em!! :eek: :eek:
I would rather have had AP go hard the last furlong, maybe set a track or stakes record, and winning with an increasing lead, not a decreasing one. I seriously doubt that would have any effect on his next race; I don't care what Jerry Bailey says about saving something for later.

Other than that, no complaints. Seems like everyone went home happy. :)

alhattab
08-02-2015, 09:44 PM
According to DRF: ontrack handle today was $3 million. In 2003 for Funny Cide (53k reported attendance), $4 million. Sorry to by cynical but I believe numbers that are required to be reported and have regulatory implications. Handle does. Attendance doesn't.

davew
08-02-2015, 09:52 PM
what a fantastic day at Monmouth Park today. There is no chance there was ever 61k actual bodies in the place- I personally went through the turnstiles 5 times- but they handled everything great, weather was great, people got to see the procession they wanted to see. Most importantly, this event was about Monmouth Park displaying its relevance. This was Monmouth's opportunity to show that it still has a place in the sporting world where people will attend for a big event. That's what the 2015 Haskell was all about. We'll see if this helps Monmouth convince the state of NJ to help it through the period before getting sports betting or Northern NJ casinos. Hopefully it does.

Sorry for the ramble but it's been a long day. I was out the door @ 5:30 to help set up the picnic area for the party today, and my wife just picked me up from one of the local haunts. I'm toast!

I do not understand - did you pay 5 times or have a license there?

alhattab
08-02-2015, 09:58 PM
I paid 3 times, but think I was counted 5 times. I have a horseman's pass and a friend of mine has an "officials" pass. I tried both to see if they qualified as a paid admission for a hat. Neither did. That's 2x through the turnstiles. Then I paid admission for me, my buddy with the officials pass, and my brother (who lives in Charlotte) to get three hats.