PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Wed., July 29

Teach
07-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Race One:

Don’t know much about “the jumpers”. Steeplechase ain’t my thing. Having said that, I’m thinkin’ of betting “a bob or two” on :3: Perfect Union. What’s not to like about a horse whose two-word name is part of the preamble to The Constitution. A more salient reason is that this horse is the progeny of one of my favorite turf sires: Purim. Bring your gregors! Apprentice Brendan Crowley gets the 5-pound allowance. That’s significant when you’re jumpin’ over hedges for a couple miles. This gelding is five-for-six on the lawn, actually five-for-five in steeplechase events.

Others: :6: , :8: , :1:

Race Two:

:6: Bellamy Brew has faced better. Switches from route to sprint. I like that. David Jacobson owns and trains. Trainer Jacobson does very well w/drops off a claim. This Bellamy Road-bred has won four out of seven lifetime tries. Angel Cruz does well in sprints.

Others: :2: , :3: , :4:

Race Three:

:7: Finalize is my upset pick in this maiden-claiming turf sprint. This first-time starter has a solid turf pedigree, e.g., Mr. Prospector, Giant’s Causeway. It would not shock me if this 4-year-old gelding won at first asking. A couple solid recent works further bolsters my confidence. Then too, the most capable George Weaver trains. Manny Franco – he’s picked it up, lately – is in the irons.

Others: :9: , :1: , :8:

Race Four:

In the Grade II Honorable Mention I like :4: Judy the Beauty. What’s not to like? This Ghostzapper-bred mare has won five of her last eight races; she finished second in two others. This 6-year-old’s dossier includes several Grade I wins. Joel “El Dominicano” Rosario rides for trainer Wesley Ward.

Others: :5: , :3:

Race Five:

:7: Sylvia T. (bar shoe off) is my pick in this allowance turf route for non-winners of two, lifetime. This Curlin-bred chestnut mare won her last, a claiming event, this past May at Belmont. This mare has hit the tote in two out of four turf tries. Trainer Rudy Rodriguez does well with horses that were winners of their last race, a claiming event. Cornelio Velasquez rides.

Others: :9: , :10: , :11:

Race Six:

In this claiming sprint, non-winners of two, lifetime, I like :4: Well Lawyered. Liston, Louisiana’s Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons for trainer David Cannizo. “The King of Philadelphia” does well in sprint events. Trainer Cannizo does well when going from turf to dirt. This Lawyer Ron-bred has faced tougher; this just might be his spot.

Others: :7: , :1: , :2:

Race Seven:

With Esther the Queen declared and no Mordecai entered, whom can I bet in this turf route for New York State-breds? I’m going to cast my lot with :1: Style Drift. This English Channel-bred was second in this general MSW company about a month ago at Belmont. Any slight improvement… I say any slight improvement and this Waquoit-bred (I can still hear Jim Hannon now at Suffolk Downs “…Waquoit and Broad Brush."). can prevail. Irad Ortiz, Jr. for trainer Chad Brown.

Others: :4: , :8: , :10:

Race Eight:

One mile and an eighth, New York State-breds, non-winners of two, lifetime, on the lawn. :11: Brother O’Connell gets my nod. This Giant’s Causeway-bred is trained by the tres-talented, Monsieur Christophe Clement. This Storm Cat-bred just make like the La Grande Vitesse in the stretch. If so, this colt might just reward his backers with a decent return. Javier Castellano is in the irons.

Others: :10: , :2: , :3:

Race Nine:

In this OC on the inner turf at one mile, I like :10: All Included. “The Hall of Famer,” Johnny V., has been like a petardo on The Fourth of July. The chestnut colt’s trainer, Todd Pletcher, has been equally red-hot in conditioning his charges. This colt won three straight before finishing fourth in the Grade III Poker at Belmont in mid June. A solid recent work indicates readiness.

Others: :8: , :6: . :1:

Race Ten:

In the finale, a claiming sprint at 7 furlongs on the main, I like :4: Spa City Fever with Cornelio Velasquez. This 9-year-old chestnut gelding could do it on memory alone if he’s reasonably ready. It’s hard to argue with the gameness of a horse who has lifetime earnings of over 700k. David Jacobson owns and trains.

Others: :6: , :2: , :1: / :1a:

PhantomOnTour
07-29-2015, 01:36 PM
Race 7 - :10: First Charmer...generous 12-1 ML odds and this gal may lead from start to finish

woodtoo
07-29-2015, 04:24 PM
race 7 :9: 3 seconds out of 4 starts at 20/1 :jump: place a least

add in a xbox :2: :9: :11:

FlintAtTheFetlock
07-29-2015, 06:13 PM
Hoping I am spotting a sneaky longshot in finale.

:7: Recalling Memories

Like Ian Wilkes showing up where you might not expect him. I think slop in last was deceptive 3rd off improve cycle and may have scored a bigger number on dry surface. Moving in right direction. I'm seeing 22-1 right now. Liking that :eek:

NorCalGreg
07-29-2015, 08:26 PM
race 7 :9: 3 seconds out of 4 starts at 20/1 :jump: place a least

add in a xbox :2: :9: :11:

I was curious and looked it up: That :9: in the 7th Race, after finishing 2nd 3 out 4 --would have paid $15.00 to Place. It was a 22-1 longshot and didn't hit the board, but interesting anyway. I had it to win.