PDA

View Full Version : Timonium 2015

Track Collector
07-28-2015, 12:23 PM
Hello everyone!

This year's version of the annual Timonium Fair and Races is fast approaching. Racing dates are 08/28-08/30 and 09/04-09/07, with a starting post time around 1:00-1:10 p.m. Timonium also offers afternoon simulcasting during the fair from about 5-6 different tracks, which always include Saratoga and Monmouth.

Racing at Timonium is a different kind of experience which I believe everyone should try at least one time in their life.

Some details about racing at Timonium:
-- Racing Oval is 5/8-mile
-- Usually 9 races each day. Might be 10 on Labor Day Monday.
-- Field sizes typically range from 6-10 horses.
-- Most common race distances are 4f and 6 1/2f, along with a few mile and 1 1/16 mile races.
-- Full complement of wagering options available, including superfectas. Because it is part of the "Maryland circuit", Timonium is often carried by major ADWs.
-- Open-air grandstand with free seating and excellent view of the entire racetrack. (Although I still use them, one can comfortably watch the races without binoculars.).
-- Inside air-conditioned simulcast area (Additional cost is $2) which is usually not crowded.
-- In-grandstand food options, including a restaurant/bar.
-- Can bring in your own food, chairs, coolers (without glass containers), etc.
-- Hopefully called by excellent racing announcer Dave Rodman.

In addition to racing, the fair has lots of 4H agricultural exhibits and competitions, along with carnival rides and games, and vendor food booths. On site there is also the excellent Maryland Food Court, which has booths featuring specific food themes like Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Seafood! (Can you say clams and crab cake sandwiches), Lamb, and Greek.

All sounds good so far, but what about the cost?
Last year's admission was $8 per adult, with a discount for children and senior citizens. Admission gets you into the fair and also covers the racing.
Parking on site is $3 but the lots fill up quickly, so you need to arrive significantly in advance. Off-site parking is higher and market rate. (I'm thinking $5-$20.).

SPECIAL BONUS OFFER TO PACEADVANTAGE MEMBERS:
Arrange to meet up with me before you try to pass thru the Admissions Gate and get in FREE! This includes you, your family, and even your friends. Just send me a private message as much in advance as possible so that we can coordinate the details.

Past year's attendees have included proximity, ronsmac, charm city whizz, and myself, and it usually works out that on at least one day, all four of us are able to get together. Our "home base" is at a group of tables in the 2nd floor simulcast room, where we are free to come and go as we please. Typically we handicap at the home base, then walk/run outside to watch the live running of a race. The atmosphere is casual and the comradery is very special.

In other years a number of other PaceAdvantage members have expressed an interest in Timonium. Perhaps this is the year you can join us.

By separate posting I'll show who plans to attend and on what day(s).

Hope you can join us!

Chris

Track Collector
07-28-2015, 12:45 PM
The following summary is being provided in order to assist folks with which day(s) you might want to attend. Thinking of attending? Please advise me via this thread or by private message so that I can update the list. This specific posting will be updated regularly, so please check back from time to time.

TIMONIUM 2015

Friday (08/28) --> charm city whizz, proximity, ronsmac, Track Collector
Saturday (08/29) --> Track Collector
Sunday (08/30) --> Track Collector

Friday (09/04) --> Track Collector
Saturday (09/05) -->
Sunday (09/06) --> charm city whizz, Track Collector
Labor Day Monday (09/07) --> Track Collector

*=Tentative

Track Collector
07-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Forgot to mention that for some members ;) , Fridays and Saturdays allow Timonium / Charles Town (PT 7:00 p.m.) racing doubleheaders, OR poker indulgence at the Horseshoe or MDLive in Baltimore for the evening activity.

ronsmac
07-28-2015, 03:14 PM
The following summary is being provided in order to assist folks with which day(s) you might want to attend. Thinking of attending? Please advise me via this thread or by private message so that I can update the list. This specific posting will be updated regularly, so please check back from time to time.

TIMONIUM 2015

Friday (08/28) --> Track Collector
Saturday (08/29) --> Track Collector
Sunday (08/30) --> Track Collector

Friday (09/04) --> Track Collector
Saturday (09/05) --> Track Collector
Sunday (09/06) --> Track Collector
Labor Day Monday (09/07) --> Track Collector

.I'll be there opening day and probably more.

charm city whizz
07-28-2015, 04:40 PM
I can gaurentee opening day but don't know how the funds will be after

TC I think with the addition of the Otb at horseshoe and poker room it could be a good time at night

thespaah
07-28-2015, 11:16 PM
Hello everyone!

This year's version of the annual Timonium Fair and Races is fast approaching. Racing dates are 08/28-08/30 and 09/04-09/07, with a starting post time around 1:00-1:10 p.m. Timonium also offers afternoon simulcasting during the fair from about 5-6 different tracks, which always include Saratoga and Monmouth.

Racing at Timonium is a different kind of experience which I believe everyone should try at least one time in their life.

Some details about racing at Timonium:
-- Racing Oval is 5/8-mile
-- Usually 9 races each day. Might be 10 on Labor Day Monday.
-- Field sizes typically range from 6-10 horses.
-- Most common race distances are 4f and 6 1/2f, along with a few mile and 1 1/16 mile races.
-- Full complement of wagering options available, including superfectas. Because it is part of the "Maryland circuit", Timonium is often carried by major ADWs.
-- Open-air grandstand with free seating and excellent view of the entire racetrack. (Although I still use them, one can comfortably watch the races without binoculars.).
-- Inside air-conditioned simulcast area (Additional cost is $2) which is usually not crowded.
-- In-grandstand food options, including a restaurant/bar.
-- Can bring in your own food, chairs, coolers (without glass containers), etc.
-- Hopefully called by excellent racing announcer Dave Rodman.

In addition to racing, the fair has lots of 4H agricultural exhibits and competitions, along with carnival rides and games, and vendor food booths. On site there is also the excellent Maryland Food Court, which has booths featuring specific food themes like Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Pork, Seafood! (Can you say clams and crab cake sandwiches), Lamb, and Greek.

All sounds good so far, but what about the cost?
Last year's admission was $8 per adult, with a discount for children and senior citizens. Admission gets you into the fair and also covers the racing.
Parking on site is $3 but the lots fill up quickly, so you need to arrive significantly in advance. Off-site parking is higher and market rate. (I'm thinking $5-$20.).

SPECIAL BONUS OFFER TO PACEADVANTAGE MEMBERS:
Arrange to meet up with me before you try to pass thru the Admissions Gate and get in FREE! This includes you, your family, and even your friends. Just send me a private message as much in advance as possible so that we can coordinate the details.

Past year's attendees have included proximity, ronsmac, charm city whizz, and myself, and it usually works out that on at least one day, all four of us are able to get together. Our "home base" is at a group of tables in the 2nd floor simulcast room, where we are free to come and go as we please. Typically we handicap at the home base, then walk/run outside to watch the live running of a race. The atmosphere is casual and the comradery is very special.

In other years a number of other PaceAdvantage members have expressed an interest in Timonium. Perhaps this is the year you can join us.

By separate posting I'll show who plans to attend and on what day(s).

Hope you can join us!

Chris
As much as I despise traveling on holiday weekends, the second weekend of the meet works better for me.
As of now that is. Things can change though. I really want to get up there just to hook up with everybody.

bello
07-29-2015, 10:19 AM
Forgot to mention that for some members ;) , Fridays and Saturdays allow Timonium / Charles Town (PT 7:00 p.m.) racing doubleheaders, OR poker indulgence at the Horseshoe or MDLive in Baltimore for the evening activity.

A Bullring Double Header....That is what I call heaven.

OTM Al
07-29-2015, 10:35 AM
Going to make it there soon, but due to other commitments, can't get there this year. Don't forget to say Hi to Marty when you go to Hazel Park!

cj
07-29-2015, 01:22 PM
Possible this year, taking an east coast vacation this year around that time, just not sure of the exact dates in Maryland yet.

Track Collector
07-30-2015, 10:34 AM
Going to make it there soon, but due to other commitments, can't get there this year. Don't forget to say Hi to Marty when you go to Hazel Park!

Haha. Some much younger guy is doing the in-house handicapping show now, and he does not show his selections on cut out cards with hand-drawn numbers on them. Guess HP didn't want that when they went "bigger" time by hosting thoroughbreds. Long live Marty!!

Hope you can experience Timonium sometime in the next few years!

Track Collector
07-30-2015, 10:54 AM
Possible this year, taking an east coast vacation this year around that time, just not sure of the exact dates in Maryland yet.

I hope you can make it. A well-known PA celebrity such as yourself would definitely bring in some fence sitters, and perhaps your Dad too! Hopefully we would have some good Orioles news to discuss as well.

Certainly open to some kind of sharing of TFUS info as well, in an informal setting. It would be small group or one-on-one, if others were interested, and if it does not interferes with your vacation.

Now THERE is something folks probably never envisioned in the same sentence......TFUS and Timonium. :)

Si2see
08-01-2015, 04:54 PM
I went last year and had a good time.... If I recall it was on a day that a lot of us talked about going but I am not sure if anyone else actually came...

We pulled the Timonium Charles Town Double and had a blast !! Will probably do the same again this year. I will post back with whichever date we can make it up from Richmond.

Si2see
08-17-2015, 01:57 PM
We will be heading up on Saturday August 29th to pull the Timonium Charles Town double header... One thing I just read in the original post on this thread about being able to bring your own cooler of beer ( non glass ).... Are we pretty sure this is accurate ? I didn't see anyone that I can recall last year with coolers

Jason

Track Collector
08-17-2015, 03:27 PM
We will be heading up on Saturday August 29th to pull the Timonium Charles Town double header... One thing I just read in the original post on this thread about being able to bring your own cooler of beer ( non glass ).... Are we pretty sure this is accurate ? I didn't see anyone that I can recall last year with coolers

Jason

Hi Jason (Si2see). Glad you are able to make it!

Well, I think you can still bring in coolers, but if you can't, you can store it in my vehicle, which will be parked very close to the fair Admission Gate (Timonium road side). It's a safe spot anyway, as I don't drink. Now if it contains snacks, that is a different matter altogether. ;)

I'll see if I can get confirmation of the current policy in advance.

Track Collector
08-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Some might find the following "history" link on the Fair and Races interesting:

History (http://www.marylandstatefair.com/general-info/our-history)

If I read correctly, the fair has been at the present site since 1879.

Not mentioned but read somewhere else, racing was almost discontinued in 1984. Also, harness races were held up to the early 1900's.

The current 5/8-mile track was 1/2-mile prior to 1974. :)

I'm working on my current "investment" plan to make the Timonium meet a financial success. ;)

Track Collector
08-17-2015, 04:03 PM

Jason

OK. I just confirmed that as of last year, small coolers (excluding glass bottles, and ALL beer) are allowed into the fairgrounds. I was told that for this year moving forward, there will be strict enforcement. As usual, beer is available for purchase on grounds.

I'm usually a by the book type of fellow, but I can not blame one for finding a "creative way" around the no beer to be brought in policy. :)

charm city whizz
08-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Just a check in that I'll be there Friday...blew through my data allowance on phone and won't have a fresh set up data till Prob weds

I'll be up in the simulcast room and looking forward to the poker that ensues after the card

Looking forward to seeing everybody

Track Collector
08-25-2015, 01:28 PM
I'll be up in the simulcast room and looking forward to the poker that ensues after the card

Looking forward to seeing everybody

While Timonium is the the main thing for me, a side benefit this year now that I like to play poker is that places like the Horseshoe are just a few miles away. I plan to go to the Horseshoe at least this Friday and Saturday evenings. The last time I swiped my players card it showed something like $6.02 in "food" comps. Unfortunately those comps "cost" me a bit more than they are worth. :blush:

Track Collector
08-26-2015, 12:29 AM
Proximity has confirmed he will be there on opening day Friday, so we are now up to 4 PA-members that day. (Currently the usual "Timonium gang". Who would have thought? :D). The more the merrier, so we eagerly await others to join us.

The weather forecast for Friday and Saturday currently looks nice. Sunday has some possible "scattered" Thunderstorms, but that still makes for a pretty good racing day.

I checked out the Equibase entries, and boy was I pleasantly surprised! In some years, races with a field size of 7 horses were considered pretty good. The pre-scratched entries for this Friday are:

Race 1 --> 8
Race 2 --> 8
Race 3 --> 10
Race 4 --> 8
Race 5 --> 11
Race 6 --> 9
Race 7 --> 11
Race 8 --> 12
Race 9 --> 13

There will obviously be some scratches, as the Timonium gate is limited to 10 horses.

charm city whizz
08-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Can't wait on this eve of the timonium opener

Gotta find my May phone bill with cj dad number on it as I lost my contacts, hope I can convince him to go, pool afterwards may seal the deal

Track Collector
08-27-2015, 05:51 PM
Now taking odds for the following:

-- cj and/or dad join us for at least one day of the meet.
-- I have a financially successful meet.
-- charm city whizz (previously known as wiffleball whizz) wins a "Timonium Fan of the Day" honor for the third straight year. Third time is a "charm" I hear. ;)

I'll probably go down early tomorrow to check out the Agricultural exhibits and such. Anyone looking to connect up for free admission can send me a private message and/or e-mail. I'll be checking in frequently.

Math note: Saving $8 admission means being able to play instead a $2 Exacta key box A with B,C. When it pays $24 you can then play a $6 Exacta key box A with B,C. When the $2 payout is $18, you get back $54. See how easy that was! :D

Stillriledup
08-28-2015, 03:05 PM
Gold rail at this place today?

bello
08-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Rail better than usual but races have been total mismatches on paper and on the track.

Rolling Doubles have all been overlaid

proximity
08-30-2015, 07:46 PM
made it out Friday for opening day and it was good to see stalwarts like track collector, ronsmac, and charm city whizz.

the $2 room is still there however there have been some changes in policy.

it's now free admission to the room but you have to order food there, which was no big deal since it was a better value than the fair or grandstand concessions. special thanks to ronsmac for picking up the tab too. :)

apologies to everyone for not going to poker afterwards but I was just too worn out to fight the traffic and then focus on having a good game.

afterwards there were some non pari-mutuel Shetland pony races as well as the pig races over at the fair. thought ccw might have stayed to book some action on these but he took off early for poker.

finally, every year it is a tradition for me to go and see the fruit and vegetable competition over at the fair. two years ago the gross family dominated with nine blue ribbons while the crickenberger's stole the show last year.

this year however, Emily Richardson of Baltimore destroyed the field with thirteen blues (some tremendous peppers) and there was a nice display featuring all of her winning entries at the head of the center aisle.

the crickenberger's still made a good showing with the gross family notching only four blues that I could see.

the hoddinott's from street, md rounded out the exacta in what is possibly my favorite category: the cushaw pumpkins. keith got blue with Barbara notching a red.

hope to be back at least one more day!

ronsmac
09-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Sadly I only made it to Timonium once this year, but I was able to bet a few of the cards online or through my phone though. Unfortunately after a pretty good start, it didn't end well and I had my first meet in the red at the Big T. There's always next year.