PDA

View Full Version : RAIN COMING!!!!!!!!!!!

andicap
06-04-2004, 07:29 AM
Big change in the weather forecast for the Belmont. Almost certain the day will be just like last year, raw, rain, dreary.

Smarty has proven he can run on a sloppy track of course, but in the slop, it's just another unknown.

Also it just plain sucks from the point of view of attending.

Will the rain change anyone's plans who was thinking of going?

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2004, 09:56 AM
No

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2004, 10:17 AM
I know it's not cool to complain about the weather, but give me a freakin break! Two days ago, it was supposed to be Sunny and 68 degrees. Now it's rain (weatherchannel says 70%, NOAA says 50% chance) and 58 degrees (which at Belmont is FREEZING, since the grandstand seats never get any sun, and face North)

What a mood killer this is....I'm surly this morning!

andicap
06-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Well, you have a seat that's likely under a roof. (Or is it??)
It is a bit easier to sit through the rain if you have a seat then if you're in the muddy backyard or standing by the rail. Ponchos and plenty of towels.

That said, if anyone in your group drops out, PA, I still need a ticket!!

(it won't be a downpour -- a quarter-inch of rain all day they are predicting starting out slow in the a.m. and develping into steadier showers in the afternoon.)

With rain, even greater need to get there early if you want to sit indoors to plant your spot.

Bubbles/Silver Sow -- does this change your plan at all??

They got 103,000 last year in the rain. I suppose it could keep the crowd down to 100-105K instead of 110-120K.
The hype in New York is unbelievable, folks. On all the newscasts, tons of newspaper ink. Lots of people talking out.

A true, New York event.

KingChas
06-04-2004, 10:29 AM
All week great forecast .Then it changes overnite?So much for advanced technology.Also with this hint of tellers strike on Belmont Day.Its starting to rain on our parade.Things could be getting UGLY!

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Just watched the latest forecast, and even now they aren't sure of what we're going to get come tomorrow. The radar looks a bit ominous, but it also looks like it is breaking up a bit as it hits the High sitting over NY at the moment (I'm a weather man now!)

Anyway, one can hope for a more positive weather outcome. Even though rain is now forecast with a 50-70% probability, depending on who you read, we all know as horseplayers that there are never sure things....LOL

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2004, 10:39 AM
All my seats are still taken as of this morning....

And if the wind is blowing the wrong way, lots of seats you would think were "covered" will get wet....LOL

andicap
06-04-2004, 10:55 AM
Yeah, I'm with you. I keep watching the Weather Channel for just a hint or chance of good news. I'm such an optimist when it comes to weather. I mean, although their 24-hour predicting is pretty darn good nowadays, it's not a sure thing.
(Wait, what if that low stalls for a few hours so the heaviest rain doesn't start until 7 p.m.)

unfortunately the race goes off at 6:38 p.m ET , right? so the front will have to practically drop dead or veer wildly off course to avoid Elmont.

(FYI, it's a total coincidence that Belmont is in Elmont.)

SilverSow
06-04-2004, 11:02 AM
Hi all...

We're coming rain or shine - or anything in between... this may change where we set up, though.. a picnic table in the rain isn;t my idea of happiness... so if it's lousy out we may set up on a bench inside or something.. which means no coolers (and I just went out yesterday & bought two freaking collapsible coolers to comply with new security rules put in place for tomorrow.. grrrr)... which means I gotta go to the bacn & get extra $$$ for 12 hours or so worth of drinks since we're getting there when the gates open & the last race goes off at like 8 p.m. and I gotta stay for it because it'll take at least that long for traffic to thin out trying to get outa the place...

If PA's surly I'm downright crotchety about this all of a sudden...

Well, at least I haven't looked at the PP's yet so I don't have to re-do any work for a wet track... and another grrrrr... worst case, we'll have almost a Saratoga rainy day of tons of scratches & off the turfers to deal with...

Anyway, I'll have Bubbles set up a Pace Advantage sign wherever we end up... and you won't miss him... he's 6'4" now and will be running around with a camcorder & microphone attachment that's bigger than the camcorder itself.. LOL...

See ya in the a.m.!

Dave

:mad:

IRISHLADSTABLE
06-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Saturday 5

High Winds

Rain High
61°F
Low
56°F

Precip: 70%

detailsSpectator
Index: 2 Very Poor

Length Of Day: 14 hrs 57

andicap
06-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Sent you a PM about tomorrow.
Can you save me a seat?

Originally posted by SilverSow
Hi all...

We're coming rain or shine - or anything in between... this may change where we set up, though.. a picnic table in the rain isn;t my idea of happiness... so if it's lousy out we may set up on a bench inside or something.. which means no coolers (and I just went out yesterday & bought two freaking collapsible coolers to comply with new security rules put in place for tomorrow.. grrrr)... which means I gotta go to the bacn & get extra $$$ for 12 hours or so worth of drinks since we're getting there when the gates open & the last race goes off at like 8 p.m. and I gotta stay for it because it'll take at least that long for traffic to thin out trying to get outa the place...

If PA's surly I'm downright crotchety about this all of a sudden...

Well, at least I haven't looked at the PP's yet so I don't have to re-do any work for a wet track... and another grrrrr... worst case, we'll have almost a Saratoga rainy day of tons of scratches & off the turfers to deal with...

Anyway, I'll have Bubbles set up a Pace Advantage sign wherever we end up... and you won't miss him... he's 6'4" now and will be running around with a camcorder & microphone attachment that's bigger than the camcorder itself.. LOL...

See ya in the a.m.!

Dave

:mad:

freeneasy
06-04-2004, 12:37 PM
you guys are still going to have one heck of a blast. when it comes right down to it you guys arent going to care if all turns out to be "the day after tomarrow" just as long as the the big B goes off as sceduled. its going to be a great day for all. ever hear of thermal underwear p.a.? well whattayawait'nfor go out and buy some.

SilverSow
06-04-2004, 01:32 PM
Sure, andicap... wherever we end up we'll save another seat for you... the wet one... LOLOLOLOL... seriously, no problem...

Dave

kenwoodallpromos
06-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Here in Ca, NY rain will only mess me up if NBC (Need Better Camera) buries their cameras underground where the puddles are and screw up the transmission like they did in this year's other TC race.

NoDayJob
06-04-2004, 04:52 PM
You're complaining about a little rain and cold when history is about to be made and never repeated again in your lifetimes. Best of all you're there live.

SMARTY WINS TRIPLE CROWN and does it inspite of:

1- Pennsylvania bred.

2- No prior Belmont race.

3- Ability to go the distance based on sire.

4. Picture on the cover of jinx magazines.

HAVE A GREAT TIME AND BEST OF LUCK TO SMARTY JONES AND ALL OF YOU.

NDJ

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2004, 05:36 PM
I'm complaining because the weather will be made an issue of if he wins ("the track wasn't fair to all the other runners"), OR will be made an issue of if he loses ("he couldn't handle the off going")

I'm not complaining about the weather for myself. I'll be sitting in a covered open area, with a sweater or two to keep warm, and plenty of beer and another chance at a Triple Crown. I've got nothing to complain about.

JimG
06-04-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
I'm complaining because the weather will be made an issue of if he wins ("the track wasn't fair to all the other runners"), OR will be made an issue of if he loses ("he couldn't handle the off going")

I'm not complaining about the weather for myself. I'll be sitting in a covered open area, with a sweater or two to keep warm, and plenty of beer and another chance at a Triple Crown. I've got nothing to complain about.

You right PA...people will make excuses. As for me, I think Smarty Jones is special, regardless of how he runs tomorrow. Best 3 year old I have seen since Affirmed/Spectacular Bid.

Jim

BIG RED
06-04-2004, 06:01 PM
I've been watching the forecast soley for the undercard. They have some very good turf races going, this will be a bummer if it comes up off the T. We are going to get lousy weather early to late afternoon in Boston, which means N.Y. may have it early. Hope not, they can't forecast for shite anyways!

andicap
06-04-2004, 06:26 PM
latest forecast:

rain starting about noon, all day and night

:( :(

Tom
06-04-2004, 09:50 PM
I would give my right arm and left leg to be with you guys tomorrow, rain or shine.
So if you end up ditting the rain, freezing, just know that Iam there in spirit with you all, not sitting my Lazy-Boy, ice cold Killean's Red on my mug, eating a steaming hot bowl of homeade chili watching TV, looking for you in the crowd shots.
Andy, when you see the camera go by, wave! (hehehe):D

PaceAdvantage
06-04-2004, 11:36 PM
Local weather channel forecaster keeps using the phrase LIGHT RAIN when describing Saturday's forecast. Looking at the radar, it is turning greener (used to be a lot of yellow, which indicates heavier showers)

Also looks like it is breaking apart a bit as it runs into the retreating high pressure area which is slowly leaving NY.

Valuist
06-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Lets not forget what is "rain" to a weatherman is often completely different than what "rain" means to a horse bettor. To me, its not rain unless either: a) the track condition changes, or b) if its still listed "fast" but there's water visible on the track (i.e. Memorial Day at Bel last Monday). A couple drops fall and the pavement gets wet for 10 minutes; the weatherman calls that rain. Mist doesn't count; neither doea light drizzle.