PDA

View Full Version : Saratoga: Mon., July 27

Teach
07-27-2015, 12:47 PM
Race One:

:3: Star Dynasty. This winless Midnight Lute-bred filly drops out MSW company and into “the selling ranks”. This well-traveled 3-year-old – with stops in Hallandale, the Queens, and Bensalem – has yet to hit the tote. However, I’m thinkin’ that the class drop should greatly enhance this filly’s chances of finding her way to the winner’s circle. Trainer Mike Hushion does very well with horses going from maiden-specials to maiden claiming. A note of caution: this filly’s been on the shelf for two months since finishing fourth at Prx in late May. Oh, another question mark. This Victory Gallop-bred has strung together a lackluster string of mediocre morning works. Manny Franco – he’ll need to “get off the schneid” – is the filly’s pilot.

Others: :6: , :5: , :1:

Race Two:

:3: Johannesburg Smile. With Jeter retired…I mean declared, I’m going with my second choice in this New York State-bred claiming sprint. This 8-year-old veteran might still have enough spring in his step (make that gallop) to prevail here. This Johannesburg-bred horse has lifetime earnings of over a half a mill; he’s now dropping back in with the kind he should be able to handle. A couple years ago, this Hennessy-bred was competing against Grade III Stakes competition. If he’s a shadow of his former self, this horse figures to be right there. David Jacobson owns and trains. Cornelio Velasquez is in the irons.

Others: :4: , :6: , :7:

Race Three:

:1: Sweet Whisky. This Unbridled’s Song-bred 4-year-old filly will go off as the prohibitive fave here. As Zvee Scooler would say in “The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz,” “A man without land is nobody”. Well, this filly’s had too much land, too much real estate…to negotiate. She now “cuts back” nearly two panels. Voila! This El Corredor-bred should be out and going when the gates open. She may well get track announcer Larry Collmus’s first call. After that, it will be up to “El Candente,” “The Hall of Famer,” Johnny V., to ration out this filly’s speed. The other half of “The Spa’s” Dynamic Duo,” Todd Pletcher, trains this daughter of Baby Betty.

Others: :4: , :3: , :2:

Race Four:

:10: Often. This Irish-bred filly ships in from “The Emerald Isle” for her first start in “The States”. Jose Lezcano, the filly’s pilot, does very well in grass races. In her only start on the lawn at Curragh, this filly finished fifth at seven panels; I’m willing to give her “a mulligan”. Solid turf pedigree: Rahy, Sadler’s Wells (not the ballet). Graham Motion – he’s good with horses who’ve been on the shelf – trains. Notes of caution: Away from the races for several months and a mediocre morning work-tab. Yet…

Others: :2: , :8: , :6:

Race Five:

:1: Tiz So Sweet. This Tiznow-bred filly was last seen downstate perambulating in the Grade I Acorn at Belmont in early June. She finished fifth at 35-1 in that large-field event. This Seeking The Gold-bred 4-year-old is now back in with the kind she should handle, an optional claiming route. The Hall of Famer, Bill Mott, trains this daughter of Sweet Fervor. Two stellar morning works signal readiness. Junior Alvarado is in the irons.

Others: :4: , :3: , :6:

Race Six:

:9: Thank You. This gelding drops out of the maiden-special ranks and is now in for “a tag”. This A.P. Indy-bred has certainly faced better throughout his racing career. This 3-year-old would now appear to have dropped to a level where he should prevail. This Noactor-bred has hit the tote in half his lifetime starts; he’s also hit the tote in one of two tries at “The Spa”. Luis Saez – he had a winner, yesterday – is the horse’s pilot. Mike Mareina – he’s good with horses making their first maiden-claiming start – is this gelding’s conditioner.

Others: :7: , :6: , :2:

Race Seven:

:1: Shore Runner. In the non-graded Lucky Coin Stakes. I like this rail horse to be off and winging when the gates open in this turf sprint. Liston, Louisiana’s Kendrick Carmouche, “The King of Philadelphia,” should have this gelding “on the engine.” From then on, it’ll be ration. ration, ration. I should mention that this gelding has won three times and finished second three times in 7 lifetime turf starts. The most capable Joe Sharp trains.

Others: :9: , :8: , :6:

Race Eight:

:10: Corner Three. This grey Scat Daddy-bred filly won at first asking on the turf at this same distance a little over a month ago at Belmont. A repeat performance? This grand-daughter of Johannesburg has a good chance of making it two for two. This Cozzene-bred has an excellent turf pedigree. The filly’s trainer, Chad Brown, does extremely well in nearly all racing categories. Jose Ortiz reprises the ride.

Others: :11: , :8: , :3:

Race Nine:

:13: Spun Hard. In this maiden claiming turf route for New York State-breds, I’m going for one of the AEs that’s drawn in. Admittedly, this Linda Rice trainee has shown little in her three previous turf tries. Yet in this gelding’s last race a little over two weeks ago, this Danzig-bred did show a late turn of foot. I think there’s room for improvement. And, I believe the additional panel stretch-out off this horse’s last effort could work wonders. Cornelio Velasquez is in the stirrups.

Others: :10:, :6:, :7:

NorCalGreg
07-27-2015, 11:48 PM
Wow Teach....Good job today @ The Spa! I count 4 winners on top- and 3 cold exactas. I didn't have any time to 'cap here today, or would have joined in the fun. Good Luck Wednesday :)
-NCG