PDA

View Full Version : Ahhhh, The Spaaaa

burnsy
07-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Yesterday offered a lot of good racing, eye candy ;) and drama. It was quite an opening day at the track. The place was crowded for an opening day here, I think the Friday opener has become a winner, it was just below being annoying, and almost felt like a Saturday. The beer and drinks were flowing, saw some old friends and had a great time, even had some success.

As usual the women were dressed to the nines and spectacular, my cigar even tasted sweeter....of course, as is the case up here, mother nature was not to be out done and she was gonna one up the women on the track when a tornado warning brought the horses back to the paddock. The storm passed about 9 miles east (Schuylerville) of here and looked pretty bad. Then it was back to racing............ the "grave yard of favorites" took charge now.....as Kelly's Prize with Elvis Trujillo lights the tote at $112.50. I just hope I can catch ONE of those, no luck in that race. A typical day at the Spa, and almost a seasons worth of action the first day! I love this crap, I know I criticize the tracks but that's because I don't want them to go away.

The new sports bar is awesome, as is the carousal. The bathrooms are fixed up and the big screens are real ones now, you can see them. There were a couple TV's not working but that's the usual first day "bugs". There's a Hall of Fame type gallery across from the carousal that has some memorial stuff. I have not gone in yet but I could see Allen Jerkens from outside of it. The acoustics were still messed up outside, hopefully they'll fix it. The place never looked better, that was a great improvement. :ThmbUp:

burnsy
07-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Cloudy to partly cloudy, nice warm weather, good crowd, one great race and one cloudy result. Those who were writing about how Johnny V can't ride anymore should really re-consider that after the first two days here. His ride on Hard Not to Like for Clement was the ride of the weekend (meet) so far. He sat a trip 4th, a good 5 to 8 lengths off the lead, on the backstretch I think it was more than that, and closed like a mad man winning at the shadow of the wire in record time. (Cha Ching) :) Showing them how its done on the grass. As for the Sanford, I don't what to say, they took the best horse down and he was not getting even near caught. The horse they say he "impeded" never really let up and actually tired to lose the place. The look on Jose Ortiz face when they took him down says it all, he was pissed off and he's another guy that's red hot, riding wise. Rudy took it better than the rider did, I was watching the whole thing. Local owner (Don Lucarelli) of the placed winner Uncle Vinny (Straight Racing) said, "We'll take it and I'll cash my ticket. " But I think he was even surprised and he said he didn't want to win that way...it was a bad call and I did not have Magna Light, he was just so much the best yesterday and there really was no foul, they were never even close to him. The so called offended horse tired, I don't think he gets second anyway. The prices were there to be had yesterday and I landed a couple of them. I've been posting my "spot" plays in the selection section.

Bigadam119
07-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Cloudy to partly cloudy, nice warm weather, good crowd, one great race and one cloudy result. Those who were writing about how Johnny V can't ride anymore should really re-consider that after the first two days here. His ride on Hard Not to Like for Clement was the ride of the weekend (meet) so far. He sat a trip 4th, a good 5 to 8 lengths off the lead, on the backstretch I think it was more than that, and closed like a mad man winning at the shadow of the wire in record time. (Cha Ching) :) Showing them how its done on the grass. As for the Sanford, I don't what to say, they took the best horse down and he was not getting even near caught. The horse they say he "impeded" never really let up and actually tired to lose the place. The look on Jose Ortiz face when they took him down says it all, he was pissed off and he's another guy that's red hot, riding wise. Rudy took it better than the rider did, I was watching the whole thing. Local owner (Don Lucarelli) of the placed winner Uncle Vinny (Straight Racing) said, "We'll take it and I'll cash my ticket. " But I think he was even surprised and he said he didn't want to win that way...it was a bad call and I did not have Magna Light, he was just so much the best yesterday and there really was no foul, they were never even close to him. The so called offended horse tired, I don't think he gets second anyway. The prices were there to be had yesterday and I landed a couple of them. I've been posting my "spot" plays in the selection section.

I was one of the Johnny bashers. The ride on Hard Not to Like was awesome. I can Bash him, but also give credit where it's due. He's been impressive these first two days.

FantasticDan
07-26-2015, 11:42 AM
My local TV station ran a story on SAR and was trying to illustrate the unique ambiance of the place.. then they briefly showed a guy in a dirty white tank-top under the grandstand eating a meal on top of a covered garbage can.

That's real racetrack ambiance :ThmbUp: :p

RunForTheRoses
07-26-2015, 05:18 PM
My local TV station ran a story on SAR and was trying to illustrate the unique ambiance of the place.. then they briefly showed a guy in a dirty white tank-top under the grandstand eating a meal on top of a covered garbage can.

I had nowhere else to eat. The PA guys after drinkin da water at the SPA had all the stalls taken in the Mens Room.

BMustang
07-27-2015, 12:10 AM
I was at the Spa last year and enjoyed the "Open Seating" in the area where the old ground level Carousel restaurant had been located. Although I had purchased reserved seats, remembering that previously there had been no open seating, I stayed pretty much ground level in the old Carousel area.

In years previous to that there had been very little "open seating" under cover.

My question is - With the new "Sports Bar" which appears to be at the old ground level location of the Carousel, is there any "open seating" available at all???

Hopefully, Yes. Probably, No!

burnsy
07-27-2015, 09:42 AM

:lol: First off, I'm glad other people are posting on this spasm of spa humanity. But, I resemble that remark. I've opened my paper and read on those things while wolfing down a hot dog. I saw people pulling in, driving Bentleys, then I saw a hefty, sweaty looking, older guy, going through the garbage cans in the clubhouse.....my friend was cracking up at that one. Every walk of life comes through those gates and witnessing it is half the fun.

There was some real ambience in front of the clubhouse yesterday with a 5 piece band. There was an acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Violin, Banjo and Stand up Bass. These guys were great. I walked in and they were tearing up a great version of Me and My Uncle, really talented musicians, hats off to them.

Then there was the racing, another great race yesterday that ended in controversy. Both horses, Curalina and I'm a Chatterbox, ran their eyeballs out and there was some interference in a race that was tight. At least there was a cause for disqualification. But here's the problem, two Grade 1 races marred by the stewards....on back to back days. They should be conservative with these calls and if a horse is much the best, clear, leave it alone. Saturdays call is one too many because that horse did not cause very much, not worthy of a disqualification and he was just the best. It was not a close race. It makes the game look dumb and bettors (customers) angry. Save the calls for when they are warranted and even yesterdays could of gone either way, try not to screw around every other race please.

I don't bet the maidens but when Bill Mott runs grass horse babies, its good to pay attention as Sage Hall pays 25.20 and Rebelle pays 20 to place, a 258 dollar number..... :bang: Johnny V has another stellar day winning the CCA Oaks and booting home a 47 dollar winner, Face of a Winner. Which is appropriately named for him, he won 3. Burnsy endured his first O fer, of the meet...going 0-5. Saratoga is hard, there are days I feel like a blind man in the desert as my horses didn't get a sniff yesterday. When you are clicking, even the losers are in the mix, when your going bad, they are "no where"...that's mentally exhausting, I need a "miracle" today...

Thomas Roulston
07-27-2015, 09:48 AM
But first-time Lasix is every bit as much of an advantage at Saratoga as it is at the more "ordinary" tracks - as Theophilia reminded us in yesterday's 1st race ($11.40).

1st time lasix
07-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I fly up from Florida for my annual four day pilgrimage to the Spa tomorrow evening. Will be out watching the works at dawn..... and back with the crowds in the afternoons. I experience the place in all kinds of ways--- both day and night..... Have access to a reserved box on Friday and reserved grandstand on Thursday. The other two days I will be hanging out wherever. A couple of fancy restaurant reservations booked in town and one night I will simply go bar hopping...likely stumbling home. By Saturday night..... i am sure my age will catch up with me and all i will want to do is catch up on lost sleep. ha! :ThmbUp: Thanks for the posting

hyipro
07-27-2015, 02:59 PM
http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/27/news/saratoga-50-cents-half-million/index.html

burnsy
07-28-2015, 06:37 AM
Monday turned out to be a nice sunny, summer day. The weekend offers the big races but Mondays are really nice because one can have the place to themselves. I walked in at 1:30 pm and had my choice of picnic tables. Mondays are also Berkshire Bank Family Fun Days at the pavilion with the bounce house, face painting, crafts and the like. My kids are long grown up so I don't know what its about and didn't care to find out but its good for families. The event is presented by "Mr. Softee" and he was wondering the grounds. Guys, you would rather lose for years in a row rather than acquire the nickname........."Mr. Softee".

Burnsy gets run over in his first two bets, exactas where they come in 1rst and 3rd. My horses are in the picture. I'm back on track. Sure enough, I finish the week strong surviving an inquiry and objection in the Lucky Coin Stakes (Shore Runner) and then having my best horse to date as Willow U (M. Franco, George Weaver) takes them wire to wire. Third off the layoff, tactical speed, last race at the distance and coming in from open company to a NYB allowance. Manuel Franco gets off the meet with two, Johnny V. gets two more and Junior Alvarado gets a 3 bagger. The first week is over and the fun has just started, I'm doing well so far.

1rst Time Lasix, get some rest, you'll need it, its a long day at the Spaaaaaa

lamboguy
07-28-2015, 06:41 AM
I was one of the Johnny bashers. The ride on Hard Not to Like was awesome. I can Bash him, but also give credit where it's due. He's been impressive these first two days.how about the ride Joel Rosario gave the Albert Stall horse on saturday from dead last up the rail and held on for the win.

EMD4ME
07-28-2015, 08:32 AM
how about the ride Joel Rosario gave the Albert Stall horse on saturday from dead last up the rail and held on for the win.

Hey lamboguy. Did you like the ride or think it was an adventure? Couple of guys I know were arguing over that ride. 1 said great ride. Other said he was forced to check 2-3 X early and raced on the dead rail for most of the race. Just curious what angle you're coming from.

Also, how about Rosario's ride in the last on Sunday? He got spooked at the 1/2, was checked 4 times and lost 8-12 lengths. Lost by 3. Needed him for over 8,600. That one hurt. The original check ended up causing the next 3 checks. An amazing replay to watch. I can't blame Rosario though as two horses abruptly tired and he reacted to save his life.

Tor Ekman
07-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Savor everyday, soak in the sights, relish the plays, both winning and losing, because it will be Aqueduct in winter in no time.

bello
07-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Hey Burnsy, I went to the Steven Crist thread on PA to tell folks to look here for the daily blog and two folks already beat me to it.

YOUR SPA BLOG IS GOING VIRAL.

Keep it up. Very entertaining.

Grits
07-29-2015, 03:44 PM
Burnsy, taking up the space around the paddock? The new picnic rental area...doesn't seem to be going too well. Maybe the revenue for these will increase as the meet goes on. ... This idea, though, not very bright. :rolleyes:

http://www.saratogian.com/sports/20150727/genaro-column-paddock-becoming-less-accessible-for-spectators

thespaah
07-29-2015, 11:07 PM
Burnsy, taking up the space around the paddock? The new picnic rental area...doesn't seem to be going too well. Maybe the revenue for these will increase as the meet goes on. ... This idea, though, not very bright. :rolleyes:

http://www.saratogian.com/sports/20150727/genaro-column-paddock-becoming-less-accessible-for-spectators
Hopefully NYRA will see the tables unused and the customers will continue to voice their dissatisfaction with the 'pay tables" and scuttle the idea.
One item to which I was unaware is the tables by the paddock were in an enclosure and thus the area unavailable to the regular customers.
That just isn't right.

burnsy
07-30-2015, 07:51 AM
Grits is right, when I walk to the Big Red Spring the "cordoned off section" is not selling well at all. Yesterday, it looked like about less than 10 tables were "sold". On the weekends there were more but there were also many empty ones. If it doesn't work so well maybe they'll scrap it or do "weekends only".

The track was sunny and hot, but not as bad as I thought it would be over there. It wasn't as humid as I expected. La Verdad showed here ass to the field yesterday winning her 11th, 6 furlong race, out of 14 attempts at that distance. To be fair, Judy The Beauty was put in the position of "baby sitter" early because no one else in that field has the talent to push this mare early. When La Verdad gets fractions like that, the party is over. The track has been playing extremely fair on all surfaces but yesterday speed seemed to be an advantage. Watch the weather because we actually need some rain up here. There may be a thunder storm this afternoon.

On a more serious note, there was a horrific spill yesterday involving The Ghost Bride and Manuel Franco. Once he went down, it looked like at least two other horses ran him over. Thank God for flak jackets and helmets because he appears to be fine considering what occurred. I hope he comes back because he does a good job up here and is a good grass rider. Watch for him and George Weaver because he seems to be getting live mounts there. We take it for granted sometimes but these guys and gals take serious risks every time they "leg up" on a horse. I didn't post any plays because Wednesdays and Thursdays I have to work in the morning, I'll start in again on Friday and have some spot plays.

http://blog.timesunion.com/horseracing/jockey-released-from-hospital-after-saratoga-spill/11306/

burnsy
08-01-2015, 11:07 AM
A post card day at the spa, sunny skies, puffy white clouds, 82 degrees and dry air, the landscape is green and lush, it doesn't get any better than this in upstate NY. The 2015 spa meet may be known as the year of the "take down" as yet another horse was DQ'ed in the 6th race yesterday. This one went against Pletcher for a change and Javier Castellano. My horse (Artic North) was no where and finished last, I don't know what happened, but it was a weird race. I didn't even see the replay ( my horse did squat) but these inquiries are way too frequent IMO.

Burnsy had a tough day with just one winner and no exactas. It was tough going even though I kind of deserved it because I took a couple of real longshots yesterday. None of those panned out. I was flustered, 5 Heinekens and two cigars in when I started out of the parking lot without my chair and cooler. I got to the Racing Hall of Fame and had to head back to get my stuff. :confused: Got home, fired up the grill, ate and went to bed. I guess it could of been worse, at least it's not January, 5 degrees and I'm not snow blowing the driveway for the second time in 12 hours. Even though I had bad gambling day.......it was a great day! The kind of day that makes me stay......a "bad day" ;) at the Spaaaaa, beats the best day in January........any day

burnsy
08-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Another picture perfect, Dandy day and the Spaaaa is bursting at the seams. These are the days when the "backyard" and paddock area can be frustrating for the more serious horseplayer. "Rookies" and "Vaca" people galore, some are even oblivious to the races going off. :confused: I thought I saw Rusty Griswold and family on their way to "Walley World". Good thing I brought my tablet and I'll be watching the races upstairs. The lines are shorter and people up there actually want to see the races.

The racing action is hot and heavy as Rock Fall and The Big Beast go at it in the race of the day, a thrilling renewal of the Alfred Vanderbilt. Johnny lost the whip on "The Beast" but rides him hard, shaking him up down the lane he doesn't want to budge but somehow Rock Fall takes it, he wins his 6th race in a row nipping The Big Beast at the line, coming off a fairly slow pace for these. The younger sprinter (Holy Boss) had an easier time winning his 4th in a row taking the Grade 2 Amsterdam. I had a feeling the 4 horse field would be a better set up for Texas Red in the Jim Dandy. He got the garden trip off of Japan and got first jump on Frosted. The latter looked good too and probably will appreciate the Travers distance, both horses got what was needed from the Jim Dandy.

Burnsys "caveman" pick 4 bit the bullet when Red Rifle got the best of War Dancer in the Bowling Green. Javier Castellano wins back to back stakes, maybe this is the wake up call he needs. The day went well though, two exactas out of 6 races played and one of them was a "grass beauty" my favorite kind of race. Dry weather! Be very mindful of tactical speed on the grass! I sound like a broken record but it works enough to catch prices from time to time. Grass races are my strongest plays. Right back at it today, I think I'll even play a "Pharoah" sequence at Monmouth.

burnsy
08-03-2015, 07:30 AM
Another glorious day at the Spa. The crowd was much more manageable. I'm glad there wasn't a giveaway today.

Stopchargingmaria wins her 4th at Saratoga taking down the grade 3 Shuvee to go along with her two grade 1's here last year, The Alabama and The CCA Oaks. Untapable has a tough customer to handle if they meet here again down the line. Javier wins his 3rd stakes in two days and takes 3 down on Sunday. He's heating up now. Rachel's daughter (Rachel Valentina) takes the second race at even money like a "good thing". But the highlight of the day was the "Pharoah", the race was piped in from Monmouth for full viewing and he gets the job done like a hero, sprouting wings and then pulling up for a landing because it was over early. He looked super, superior. People are begging that he comes here, we shall see. I hope he does.

Burnsy takes it on the chin for the second Sunday in a row. My foray into Monmouth was horrible.......at least I had the Pharoah on top.... :lol: and got some money back when Prontonico scratched at the gate in the Monmouth Cup. It was an ugly venture at Saratoga too, with chalky results and a mistake by me at the end of the card with my choices.......that's racing and that's gambling.

I saw this kid yesterday with a shopping cart. He had more cans then I could imagine piled on that thing. It was like an old Life Magazine picture from a third world country where the whole village moves on one pick up truck. After yesterday, I hope it doesn't come down to that. If it does, I want "on the job training" from this guy........... ;)

1st time lasix
08-03-2015, 04:22 PM
I arrived and met my hosts at Sperry's restaurant downtown. They have an outside bar area with a band and a nice insider area with racing pictures on the walls...the food and drink were a great way to kick off my week. Later that week I went to Mistros on broadway and the Brook tavern on Union. Early the next morning {and every morning} I went to the backside and the Oklahoma training tracks at dawn. Love to watch the day begin up close to these beautiful equine athletes. One can be so close you have to watch out you don't get kicked or bitten! People around the barns I visited.... and watching the works all seemed so friendly and happy. {A far cry for how most outsiders view NY residents.} Maybe it was the glorious weather. Maybe it was the special feeling around the Spa. Met Chad Brown, Michael Dilger, Christopher Clement, Jack Wolfe and my wife got a picture with Javier Castellano. Experienced the afternoon cards in four different ways {reserved grandstand, private reserved box, terrace restaurant and in the paddock) All were terrific when the weather cooperated. Had to sample Hattie's Chicken, a split of champagne, a Ben and Jerry's ice cream and a Saratoga brewed lager beer. My lady wore a different dress with a fancy hat each day. I even wore a yellow racing tie on the afternoon we had the box near the finish line. Hit some nice exactas and doubles--- but completely wiffed on my pick fours and fives. it seems tough to string together winners there. I net loser at the windows.... but i sure felt like a winner on the plane ride home. Over past three years i have experienced everything on the grounds except the winners circle. Saving that for when my young 2yr old NY filly hopefully breaks through late in the meet. What a glorious feeling that would be!!! :)

burnsy
08-04-2015, 07:11 AM
Nice, 1st Time Lasix, sounds like you and your lady had a great time and took in the "flavor" of summer in Saratoga. Best wishes for success with your filly too, I hope she brings you to the Winners Circle many times. Thank you for the post.

Yesterday was a cooler give away and it was one of the most crowded Mondays I've ever seen. Getting in was a nightmare, even at the ticket and pass gate. The other annoying thing is the "hoarders". I came in at 12:30 pm and saw people already leaving with handfuls of coolers. I can see getting a couple for friends but some of the older women were carrying garbage bags full of them!......c'mon man, that's not right and its kind of greedy. Not to worry, at around 3 o'clock there was 4 raindrops and a clap of thunder, the place cleared out like a Chinese fire drill. The sun was back in 15 minutes and all was fine.

Burnsy doesn't fair well at the windows, cashing a couple tickets but losing on the day. A horse that I really liked in the 8th could of made the day. The Green Gratto was up by 3 to 4 lengths at the 16th pole, then he got leg weary with about 50 yards to go.....Here comes Den's Legacy at 22-1 mowing down my 6-1 at the line. Wait a minute, there's an objection and an inquiry for an incident involving Den's Legacy and the 2, Schivarelli. The guys next to me get their hopes up....they have Green Gratto too. I tell them not to get too confident. The one guy replies, "They have been calling everything this year though." Burnsy laughs and tells them, " I have not been on the right side of one of those since Alydar got put up over Affirmed in the 1978 Travers." We know what happens next........ :)

Great article on that race by Steve Haskin. These two horses were so good that Alydar prepped (for Travers) by winning the Whitney and beating J.O. Tobin and Buckaroo....in 1:47 2/5 and he was beaten by Affirmed 7 out of 9 times, I think, but he would average victories of 8 lengths or more when Affirmed was not in the race! J.O. Tobin had previously beat the snot out of Seattle Slew but could not keep up with Alydar.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/34866/travers-flashback--controversy-mars-final-battle-between-affirmed-and-alydar

Ruffian1
08-04-2015, 09:27 AM
I arrived and met my hosts at Sperry's restaurant downtown. They have an outside bar area with a band and a nice insider area with racing pictures on the walls...the food and drink were a great way to kick off my week. Later that week I went to Mistros on broadway and the Brook tavern on Union. Early the next morning {and every morning} I went to the backside and the Oklahoma training tracks at dawn. Love to watch the day begin up close to these beautiful equine athletes. One can be so close you have to watch out you don't get kicked or bitten! People around the barns I visited.... and watching the works all seemed so friendly and happy. {A far cry for how most outsiders view NY residents.} Maybe it was the glorious weather. Maybe it was the special feeling around the Spa. Met Chad Brown, Michael Dilger, Christopher Clement, Jack Wolfe and my wife got a picture with Javier Castellano. Experienced the afternoon cards in four different ways {reserved grandstand, private reserved box, terrace restaurant and in the paddock) All were terrific when the weather cooperated. Had to sample Hattie's Chicken, a split of champagne, a Ben and Jerry's ice cream and a Saratoga brewed lager beer. My lady wore a different dress with a fancy hat each day. I even wore a yellow racing tie on the afternoon we had the box near the finish line. Hit some nice exactas and doubles--- but completely wiffed on my pick fours and fives. it seems tough to string together winners there. I net loser at the windows.... but i sure felt like a winner on the plane ride home. Over past three years i have experienced everything on the grounds except the winners circle. Saving that for when my young 2yr old NY filly hopefully breaks through late in the meet. What a glorious feeling that would be!!! :)

That's great. Very happy for you and your lady.
Good luck with your 2 yr old !!!

bello
08-04-2015, 10:45 AM
I love this thread. I come up from the south every year on a random weekend. This year is doubtful. But reading the comments by those who ear there make me feel like I am up there.

I sure could use a coffee and bagel today about now at Uncommon Ground.

One thing that is no longer the same is the mini- print racing form. For the Spa meet DRF should put out their original long version with enough ink coming off the page and onto the fingers that it enhances the flavor of the bagel.

burnsy
08-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks Bello, I like Uncommon Grounds too. Its a good place to hide and read the PP's. Watch that "ink", its addictive......

Yesterday was another fine day in Saratoga. Javier takes the late double with a great ride in the Quick Call. Changing tactics he lays off the hot pace and proves to be much the best in the last 16th with Ready for Rye. Junior Alvarado takes two more and is quietly having himself a "meet".

Quick call is a horse I remember from my younger days. He loved the Spaaaa and was nicknamed " the Horse for the Course". This is the kind of horse that made me love racing. He won the Forego Handicap in 1988 and 1989, then lost that race by a nose in 1990. This horse won 16 races at the Spa and ran over 80 times in his illustrious career.

http://offtrackthoroughbreds.com/2014/02/27/quick-call-the-horse-for-the-course-is-30/

On my way out "Sam the Bugler" was playing the theme song from Married With Children for some poor sap...he must of been kicked around like Al Bundy....poor guy.

Taking the day off today heading to Yankee Stadium, gotta beat some Blue Jays.......back after the Whitney......looks like a great day coming Saturday.

Redboard
08-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Well, the escalator wasn’t fixed (I don’t know what Mike Welsh was tweeting about, I could show pictures, but why bother) however I finished the yesterday in excellent style with a WP bet on Harp N Halo, the longest shot in the field. Where except the SPA, are you going to get a weekday race of the N2X variety, that a horse, who won his last three, goes off at 23-1? The filly is a speed horse who, I believe, was helped by the lack of rain the last few days, which has dried out the turf course. No rain last night, so look for front-runners in today’s turf races. It’s been beautiful weather this week, and this morning looks no different.
Dinner at Karavallli Indian last night. Prefer the Starbucks over Common Ground. Those new picnic tables don't look bad, if you get one right next to the paddock fence. You don't have to worry about rushing up to get a spot when they parade before the race. The only problem with it is they don't let you bring your own chairs into that area so you'd have to sit on the hard table seats all day. My wife likes that area around the paddock, I prefer to sit in the stands and actually watch the race. Awesome card today.

burnsy
08-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Way to go Redboard, nice hit. I like the paddock area myself but for the bigger races I walk upstairs to watch. Yesterday I made that trip 5 times, gotta do something to burn off the beer calories. Thank you for the post.

Burnsy wakes up with his first hangover of the meet. It was a long day I ended up at Kings Tavern after the races. The meet is on the 15th day and the weather has really been cooperating, warm sunny days and cool nights. Two aspirins, a cup of coffee and fresh air will bring me back to life.

The Whitney featured 7 grade 1 winners but the horse stepping up took them around the track in blazing fractions. A horse I did not really like, Liam's Map, ran like a horse possessed only to get nipped by Honor Code at the wire. What a race! Both horses put on quite the show!

A shout out goes to PA members Gaz and Dax. Gaz brought his son to the spa for the first time and the kid was hitting a couple races. Really great guys and fans of the sport. Thanks for the beer and sandwich, we had a great time. I didn't fare well at the windows yesterday but it makes my day to see all these people enjoying everything the Spaaaa has to offer........A Whitney day for the ages!

Ruffian1
08-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Way to go Redboard, nice hit. I like the paddock area myself but for the bigger races I walk upstairs to watch. Yesterday I made that trip 5 times, gotta do something to burn off the beer calories. Thank you for the post.

Burnsy wakes up with his first hangover of the meet. It was a long day I ended up at Kings Tavern after the races. The meet is on the 15th day and the weather has really been cooperating, warm sunny days and cool nights. Two aspirins, a cup of coffee and fresh air will bring me back to life.

The Whitney featured 7 grade 1 winners but the horse stepping up took them around the track in blazing fractions. A horse I did not really like, Liam's Map, ran like a horse possessed only to get nipped by Honor Code at the wire. What a race! Both horses put on quite the show!

A shout out goes to PA members Gaz and Dax. Gaz brought his son to the spa for the first time and the kid was hitting a couple races. Really great guys and fans of the sport. Thanks for the beer and sandwich, we had a great time. I didn't fare well at the windows yesterday but it makes my day to see all these people enjoying everything the Spaaaa has to offer........A Whitney day for the ages!

Your updates are great. They almost make me feel like I am there. With a deep breath I can almost smell the morning air walking along the 1/8th pole area.
Thank you for that !

cmp92
08-09-2015, 03:50 PM

I was just there from Thursday through Saturday. The paddock area is a nightmare to walk through unless you get there while a race is going on or immediately following the race. I like to watch the horses in the paddock before wagering, but the amount of people crammed in there with coolers and chairs makes it really uncomfortable for me.

alhattab
08-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Your updates are great. They almost make me feel like I am there. With a deep breath I can almost smell the morning air walking along the 1/8th pole area.
Thank you for that !

I agree. Instead of Cristblog we get Burnsyblog. To top if off, read the Saratoga Special online really gives you the feeling that you're there.

Decided to go up next Fri-Sun. Wasn't sure if a trip was in order this year, but found some time to get there can't wait.

burnsy
08-10-2015, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the compliment alhattab and Ruffian 1. I hear you cmp92, I've had that same problem when its crowded. At this point, I'm immune and circle the crowd on the perimeter or walk through. As you can tell from my posts the crowd is something you have to deal with on some days. It's just something that comes with Saratoga.....you can't have it to yourself, too many want to be there, but that keeps it going at the same time. If no one showed up, we would not get the racing we get here. Catch 22.......Thank you for the post.

Yesterday was Jockey Legends Day at the Spa. There was a ton of talent on that red carpet. There were 10 Hall of Famers, two Triple Crown winners, over 72,000 wins, 13 Eclipse awards, 28 Saratoga meet winners and 35 individual Triple Crown race winners. Being from NY, I grew up and came into being a racing fan following some of these guys. The Mig, Saymn on the green, Chop, Chop....we have nicknames for some of them, but I remember them all and it was great to see. Who can forget Angel Cordero? The king of the track with 11 Saratoga meet titles in a row! He accounted for 14 of those 28 Saratoga meet titles on that red carpet. It was good to see Ramon Dominguez there too, his great career was cut short by injury, unfortunately its a dangerous game. The Permanently Disabled Jockey Fund needs all the help it can get and that's why these good folks were their signing autographs. They are not just great athletes, they are even better people for doing this.

One guy that wasn't there is Chris Antley who was another great rider....probably one of the best ever. Its a shame he was not out there with the others on the Red Carpet. He was inducted to the Hall over the weekend. Next time a bet is lost and the jock is to blame just remember that these guys have their demons (problems) like any of us and bleed just like any of us, yet they sit on a 1200 pound animal going 40 miles an hour for our entertainment. That's why the Permanently Disabled Jockey Fund is there........this game they play ain't easy and its down right dangerous at times...always keep that in mind.

Off to see/hear Joe Bonamassa at SPAC tonight, 3 Kings tour, then camping at Lake Harris until the end of the week. Be back then. If anyone else has something to add, or comes to town, please keep this thing going.....

onefast99
08-10-2015, 11:23 AM
I agree. Instead of Cristblog we get Burnsyblog. To top if off, read the Saratoga Special online really gives you the feeling that you're there.

Decided to go up next Fri-Sun. Wasn't sure if a trip was in order this year, but found some time to get there can't wait.I am headed up early Saturday taking in a few races and then the sale starts at 7pm, I am hopeful we sell our Frost Giant/St Midas baby she is a B+ and a good looking one.
http://www.fasigtipton.com/catalogs/2015/0815/342.pdf

Grits
08-10-2015, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the compliment alhattab and Ruffian 1. I hear you cmp92, I've had that same problem when its crowded. At this point, I'm immune and circle the crowd on the perimeter or walk through. As you can tell from my posts the crowd is something you have to deal with on some days. It's just something that comes with Saratoga.....you can't have it to yourself, too many want to be there, but that keeps it going at the same time. If no one showed up, we would not get the racing we get here. Catch 22.......Thank you for the post.

Yesterday was Jockey Legends Day at the Spa. There was a ton of talent on that red carpet. There were 10 Hall of Famers, two Triple Crown winners, over 72,000 wins, 13 Eclipse awards, 28 Saratoga meet winners and 35 individual Triple Crown race winners. Being from NY, I grew up and came into being a racing fan following some of these guys. The Mig, Saymn on the green, Chop, Chop....we have nicknames for some of them, but I remember them all and it was great to see. Who can forget Angel Cordero? The king of the track with 11 Saratoga meet titles in a row! He accounted for 14 of those 28 Saratoga meet titles on that red carpet. It was good to see Ramon Dominguez there too, his great career was cut short by injury, unfortunately its a dangerous game. The Permanently Disabled Jockey Fund needs all the help it can get and that's why these good folks were their signing autographs. They are not just great athletes, they are even better people for doing this.

One guy that wasn't there is Chris Antley who was another great rider....probably one of the best ever. Its a shame he was not out there with the others on the Red Carpet. He was inducted to the Hall over the weekend. Next time a bet is lost and the jock is to blame just remember that these guys have their demons (problems) like any of us and bleed just like any of us, yet they sit on a 1200 pound animal going 40 miles an hour for our entertainment. That's why the Permanently Disabled Jockey Fund is there........this game they play ain't easy and its down right dangerous at times...always keep that in mind.

Off to see/hear Joe Bonamassa at SPAC tonight, 3 Kings tour, then camping at Lake Harris until the end of the week. Be back then. If anyone else has something to add, or comes to town, please keep this thing going.....

Burnsy, thanks for another fine post!! Enjoy your vacation. Hope the weather remains nice. :)

Wishing some didn't feel the need to call riders such horrible names. As always, it says far more about the caller than the individual being called.

burnsy
08-16-2015, 09:19 AM
Thanks Grits, I complain about many things that concern horse racing, but I make it a point not to bitch about the jocks, even when they make a mistake and I lose. Errors come with every sport, and if you bet, its part of the deal. There was a guy yesterday berating Javier from the paddock fence after Candir got taken down (8th race). Saying he sucked and stuff. I love the Saratoga race fans, they booed the guy and told him to shut up. I felt like saying......."Yeah, Javier is really happy about what happened. You lost some money........these people (jockeys) stand to lose way more, their life, their ability to walk or their career in the blink of an eye, shut up already."

Back to Saratoga and racing after a nice vacation in the heart of the Adirondacks my first bet is naturally Adirondack Dancer who comes through just fine. The race of the day was "The Adirondack" where two, young, two year olds, already know this game. It was gut check time as Just Wicked bested Tonasah in a real thriller of a race. Both horses look like "good ones". Burnsy fared well yesterday but gets disappointed when his longshot of the day Mayla comes up short in the 9th and places. I've been struggling with the dirt races. The other thing is these slow pace turf races, when the half goes in 49 or more on the inner turf course, in firm condition, going a mile....the closers have no shot in hell. English Minister and Sky Hero stole the 5th race going 24.69 quarter then 49.63 half.....c'mon man. I used English Minister but my others had no chance in a deal like this.......keep using the speed horses on the grass, especially the "inner".

The day was dedicated with two races signifying departed "Saratoga Legends" H. Allen Jerkens (8th Race) and Fourstardave (10th Race). Both were track entities that were hard working and as honest as they come. Allen Jerkens was great trainer and more importantly, an elite human being. Fourstardave was a "working mans" hero, who ran his heart out every time he stepped on a race track. I still remember the race against Lure and Paradise Creek where "Dave" was up against it, he finished third to them. But I'll never forget the standing ovation he received in the post parade before the race, it was deafening. His owner, Richard Bomze, who also passed last year was quoted once saying, "We don't have as much as some of these folks in the clubhouse but most of them would give their right arm to have this horse." He was known to bet a buck or two himself. A trainer, an owner and a horse that will have their spirits forever entwined with the legends of the Spaaaaa.

MOG4023
08-16-2015, 01:25 PM
Hey Burnsy,

Just wanted to post to say thanks for the "in country" reports. I am heading there mid week after Travers and this feeds my appetite.

burnsy
08-17-2015, 09:26 AM
Glad you like the conversation MOG4023, also glad you can make it to the Spaaaaa....

If anyone is coming this week, pack the sun tan lotion and water because the "dog days" of summer are upon us. Sunday was warm and sunny, the forecast calls for hot weather this week. Burnsy tries to keep up with the heat by staying hot and Benny Is a Jet helps the cause which linked me into a nice win, place, exacta, quinella and double. I like to play the quinella and then play the exacta straight with my favorite horse on top. When its a nice price this works well when they win. If the horse places underneath I still collect something on exotics and place bet.

The turf courses were playing differently yesterday and is something to watch for. I don't know if its the heat or more contention up front but closers did well Sunday. Maybe the tide has turned or the jocks are not going to play "merry go round pace" so much..........I don't know. That didn't matter in the 8th yesterday when Ack Naughty destroyed the field on the inner course. She was too good for that field and totally outclassed the group. Chad Brown has had a great meet so far and a couple of his NY bred turf horses belong in open company (only) because they are that good.

Speaking of hot, Irad is tearing it up with 5 winners yesterday. My friend calls him "Mr. Smooth Ride" because nothing seems to bother him, even if his horse gets a slow start. He's making his move to pull away with this thing and he was not here on Saturday, he was at Arlington Park..........

Keep it real, stay cool :cool:

1st time lasix
08-17-2015, 02:48 PM
Yesterday I had the racing luck needed to cover the entire Spa meet. In a real first.....all my "A rated contenders won the last six races--- which made for two winning pick six plays. :jump: The carry over and the consoles spiced up the payoffs. Tips and drinks all around! My spouse was screaming all the way down the strech as my selection held on to a dwindling lead. What fun! of course Uncle Sam gets his "withholding"-- but i am overjoyed anyway. The only thrill left will be if my two year old NY Frued filly can break through in her grass debut the last week of the meet. Good luck to all....gotta luv Saratoga!

Grits
08-17-2015, 08:16 PM

Burnsy, it was smoking. It was cooler in the backyard than it was in my seat in the grandstand. Lord, it was hot. :faint:

Hope you had a good day.

burnsy
08-18-2015, 07:15 AM
Way to go First Time Lasix that's a meet maker, hope your filly wins too! It was warm yesterday Grits. Most days there is a breeze blowing through the building that cools it off but the last couple days it has not happened and its pretty hot up there. I find refuge under the trees in the back yard, it really was not bad back there. Any day at the track is a "good day".

That being said Burnsy didn't have the luck First Time did and took his lumps yesterday, 0-4, cashing one ticket on Star Grazing in the 9th. It was a race where I made a bad error betting wise by not including Hot Stones. That cost me the exacta and tri. Hot Stones fit everything I look for in those (state bred) races. At Belmont he had previously crushed open company, he pretty much did the same thing to those state breds yesterday. Saratoga is tough but not throwing that horse in my numbers was a mistake. Hot Stones is going good and could compete in just about every condition right now....my bad.

Today won't be as good as yesterday, its back to work for me. Work, when a "good day" becomes a challenge....unlike hanging out at a race track......let alone the Spaaaaa. Back later in the week......

thespaah
08-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Burnsy, it was smoking. It was cooler in the backyard than it was in my seat in the grandstand. Lord, it was hot. :faint:

Hope you had a good day.
Unfortunately, you've landed on the hottest weather Upstate NY has experienced this summer.
Talked to my friend up there on Sunday. he said his parents( elderly) were going to the track but decided to stay home because of the heat.
They have been regulars for over 50 years. Its rare they don't go. So it must have been pretty darned uncomfortable

1st time lasix
08-18-2015, 10:57 AM
Even when the afternoons are hot and humid....the early mornings at the back side or at the Oklahoma are quite enjoyable. Usually comfortible if you can wake early. Watching a few works and gallops up close to the beautiful animals prior to the first track restoration will make that warmer afternoon a bit more bearable. The breeze direction matters in the afternoon. Sometimes it is nicer to be near the paddock outside.... rather than in the stands.

Grits
08-18-2015, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately, you've landed on the hottest weather Upstate NY has experienced this summer.
Talked to my friend up there on Sunday. he said his parents( elderly) were going to the track but decided to stay home because of the heat.
They have been regulars for over 50 years. Its rare they don't go. So it must have been pretty darned uncomfortable

It was tough yesterday. Though, the horses were looking ok, given the heat. Hopefully, next week will be cooler.

One doesn't even want to eat much in this heat. Too, there's always...the pool on dark days and after racing.

burnsy
08-18-2015, 05:29 PM
I almost forgot. Good luck Grits, glad you made it......to the Spaaaaa

Grits
08-18-2015, 05:37 PM
I almost forgot. Good luck Grits, glad you made it......to the Spaaaaa

Burnsy, good luck to you and your handicapping friends as well. I don't like these four 2 year old races on tomorrow's card. But what else is new?

I could just watch until the 6th race. Darts, 'til then. :lol:

burnsy
08-22-2015, 09:57 AM
After 5 or 6 days of warm, muggy weather the change came late Thursday night when a front passed through. It rained until early morning but by 930 am the sun was out and the air was dry and refreshing. We lost a couple turf races, but all was fine. The weather up here in the summer is like a commodity....its part of what brings people in. This summer has been Spa-tacular so far. Look for another great day today.

The gazebo featured a really good band yesterday. George Fletchers Folding Money are really good if you like the blues and rock. If you like that kind of music I guarantee you will fold a buck or two and throw in in their jar.

Yesterdays running of the Schenectady shows how short fields sometimes require the most heady rides as Joel Rosario teaches the less experienced riders a lesson. He played "snake on the grass" with Too Discreet sensing a hot early pace and checking off the front then tipping out later to come thundering down the stretch. At Saratoga these horses are so competitive and evenly matched that the really good riders understand that a strong finish is often the only way to win here. It was a riding clinic move by him.

The end of the day offered a slew of gate scratches and the "scoopers" were out in full force. There's one guy I've seen doing this since about 30 years ago. I think he works the racing circuit year round. But all of them are fearless diving into garbage cans when any change occurs, whether its a scratch at the gate or an inquiry. With all the tourist and drinkers, its a declared "gold rush" for them......... :D

Thomas Roulston
08-22-2015, 10:07 AM
But getting rid of the Wilson Mile Chute was, as Ah-nold famously said, a "beeg mee-stake."

The one at Ellis Park works just fine.

EMD4ME
08-22-2015, 10:40 AM
There's one guy I've seen doing this since about 30 years ago. I think he works the racing circuit year round.

Burnsy,

Is he short, 5 foot tall, has a full beard, like a greek priest and has a voice that resonates loudly? Carries a parlay slip in his back pocket, with scratches and results listed on it? Wears his hear down, like a mop?

EMD4ME

burnsy
08-22-2015, 10:46 AM
There's one guy I've seen doing this since about 30 years ago. I think he works the racing circuit year round.

Burnsy,

Is he short, 5 foot tall, has a full beard, like a greek priest and has a voice that resonates loudly? Carries a parlay slip in his back pocket, with scratches and results listed on it? Wears his hear down, like a mop?

EMD4ME

I've seen him too, but not for as many years or as much. This guy is kind of tall and thin. He can really move too........it keeps him in shape. I've seen him there since I was almost a kid. Tall, skinny, glasses, blond-sish hair.

EMD4ME
08-22-2015, 10:48 AM
I've seen him too, but not for as many years or as much. This guy is kind of tall and thin. He can really move too........it keeps him in shape. I've seen him there since I was almost a kid. Tall, skinny, glasses, blond-sish hair.

Does the tall one wear a hat and is almost bald? Real skinny?

burnsy
08-22-2015, 11:02 AM
No, I've seen him too...sometimes they work together. This guy still has a lot of hair...maybe dyed because he actually looks good for his age. He moves methodically, a real pro....tears tickets so he doesn't look twice and can move twice as fast as most of them. Been seeing him here every year....forever. He even looks clean, not your average scooper.

EMD4ME
08-22-2015, 11:13 AM
No, I've seen him too...sometimes they work together. This guy still has a lot of hair...maybe dyed because he actually looks good for his age. He moves methodically, a real pro....tears tickets so he doesn't look twice and can move twice as fast as most of them. Been seeing him here every year....forever. He even looks clean, not your average scooper.

YES LOL. The short guy I described and the tall skinny guy with the hat are best friends LOL.

I don't know the man you mention.

It's an art to them. They know the whole lay out, who's drunk and betting. They rip up tickets to avoid checking twice.

The short guy found a $600 ticket in front of me in 2009, the roof was raised from his yells of joy! He made me deaf....

alhattab
08-22-2015, 12:45 PM
The gazebo featured a really good band yesterday. George Fletchers Folding Money are really good if you like the blues and rock. If you like that kind of music I guarantee you will fold a buck or two and throw in in their jar.

..... :D

Burnsy when I was up there I caught Soul Sessions at Dangos. They are really good- the father son team on the horns is a unique element and the female vocalist is real good.

thespaah
08-22-2015, 11:37 PM
YES LOL. The short guy I described and the tall skinny guy with the hat are best friends LOL.

I don't know the man you mention.

It's an art to them. They know the whole lay out, who's drunk and betting. They rip up tickets to avoid checking twice.

The short guy found a $600 ticket in front of me in 2009, the roof was raised from his yells of joy! He made me deaf....
I find that to be a surprise.
BTW, I think I saw the same stooper you guys are describing.
Anyway, the stoopers I have seen always keep to themselves. If they happen to scoop up a winner, they normally keep quiet about it.

thespaah
08-22-2015, 11:40 PM
Burnsy when I was up there I caught Soul Sessions at Dangos. They are really good- the father son team on the horns is a unique element and the female vocalist is real good.
Dangos Saratoga? ...

EMD4ME
08-23-2015, 12:11 AM
I find that to be a surprise.
BTW, I think I saw the same stooper you guys are describing.
Anyway, the stoopers I have seen always keep to themselves. If they happen to scoop up a winner, they normally keep quiet about it.

I actually know the short one from downstate. Known him for 20 plus years. He found a $5 box of 678 or something like that. It actually came in 67 and paid $240.

He was nice and offered me a piece, I declined as I didn't want to dip into his daily earnings LOL. He considers me a friend and was having a beer with me in the year after the day's racing was over. He didn't give up though. Kept looking well beyond 6 pm and he found that nice one.

He is a professional scooper, I'll give him that.

alhattab
08-23-2015, 12:28 AM
Dangos Saratoga? ...

yes

burnsy
08-23-2015, 08:34 AM
Alhatab, I've heard them before and they are good, I think it was at the Racino. There's a slew of good musicians up here because of the bars and tourist. Thespa, Dango's at Saratoga is on Caroline St. Years ago, it was known as Madame Jumels, changed hands a couple times and became another Dango's.

The place was packed to the rafters yesterday for the 135th running of the Alabama Stakes. Embellish the Lace and Javier Castellano embellished on the lead and stole away with the thing on a day where most of the dirt races were won by closers late. That happened in the 5th when Notorious ran over my exacta and paid 31 bucks....tough day for Burnsy having to swallow a couple of close beats and coming up with nada. Gotta bounce back today.

Speaking of "scoopers" or "stoopers" , please don't become an "indentured " one. I'm talking about the people that drink too much and lose a ticket or just misplace a voucher by leaving it behind. Yesterday, I saw an older gentleman flipping tickets over with his cane and reading them. He had 3 or 4 of his friends scrambling over the same area in the backyard looking too. Apparently he had lost a winning ticket. I see this all the time, if you are coming up here and use the machines please consider getting a NYRA account. I think new customers get 10 bucks a day for 20 days if they bet 10 bucks the day before. When you play with your card, your tickets are simply "receipts" and not live tickets...no voucher to lose either. I can't tell you how many times I've heard people cry about losing vouchers or tickets. That's exactly why the real scoopers are out there. Get an account or keep them tight to the vest.........or your day will become a bummer and a scooper will be eating steak at Lillian's.......on your dime..... ;)

salty
08-23-2015, 09:33 AM
I had a friend with me a few Thursday's ago and it was his first time at the track so I was just casually showing him all the great spots at Saratoga. At one point there is a race where I had bet a 7 horse. A minute after the end of the race the inquiry goes up. I see that they are looking at the start and can see that the gate person got caught in the reins on the 7. I turn to my friend and say hey I'm getting a refund on all my tickets then it dawned on me the opportunity was there. Frantically I said you go left I'll go right pick up any tickets you see. He's just like why am I doing this. So he didn't start moving so I started yelling just pick up tickets now! We have to beat all the old guys that can't move as quick! He didn't get it. I didn't find even one ticket. He didn't even pick one up. I gave up and pointed to all the trash cans with legs sticking out. Then I explained to him how it's entirely possible to have scooped money off the ground in that situation. He says, "Oh so you don't even have to pick a horse to make money at the track?"

burnsy
08-24-2015, 08:18 AM
Way to go Salty.....gave your friend an on track, street, edumacation. :lol: Thanks for the post.

Yesterday was the annual company picnic and they had it at the track this year.....of all places. A few of them knew I went all the time so they were all over me for horses....luckily I had a few yesterday. It seemed like they had a good time which was good to see. I know I did and am feeling the after affects this morning.

Stallwalkin' Dude returned to the winner's circle yesterday taking the Tale of the Cat with Irad Ortiz aboard. He takes 3 more yesterday finishing strong in each one. He's one patient, cool headed, kid. Most jocks could not pull off what he did in the 3rd with Towering Moon. Stumbling start, concedes 4 lengths, stays with it and gets up at the wire, in a 6 furlong race. I didn't have it but it was something to see.

Then there was the "moment" everyone was waiting for...........he's coming to Saratoga. Those 50,000 tickets and passes just became gold! Get here early and be ready for the crush. It will not be a "typical" Saratoga day so try to come the day before or stay after the Travers. Saturday will be an absolute zoo. Burnsy is going put his "patience shoes" on and pack extra beer, because he's gonna need it! The king is coming to town.......

OTM Al
08-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Way to go Salty.....gave your friend an on track, street, edumacation. :lol: Thanks for the post.

Yesterday was the annual company picnic and they had it at the track this year.....of all places. A few of them knew I went all the time so they were all over me for horses....luckily I had a few yesterday. It seemed like they had a good time which was good to see. I know I did and am feeling the after affects this morning.

Stallwalkin' Dude returned to the winner's circle yesterday taking the Tale of the Cat with Irad Ortiz aboard. He takes 3 more yesterday finishing strong in each one. He's one patient, cool headed, kid. Most jocks could not pull off what he did in the 3rd with Towering Moon. Stumbling start, concedes 4 lengths, stays with it and gets up at the wire, in a 6 furlong race. I didn't have it but it was something to see.

Then there was the "moment" everyone was waiting for...........he's coming to Saratoga. Those 50,000 tickets and passes just became gold! Get here early and be ready for the crush. It will not be a "typical" Saratoga day so try to come the day before or stay after the Travers. Saturday will be an absolute zoo. Burnsy is going put his "patience shoes" on and pack extra beer, because he's gonna need it! The king is coming to town.......

Shouldn't be that bad. The cap will likely result in around 41-42K actually being there as many passholders will not go (and they can't be transferred anymore) and many tickets will be left on Stubhub. Probably will be much like it usually is on Travers day.

burnsy
08-24-2015, 09:07 AM
Shouldn't be that bad. The cap will likely result in around 41-42K actually being there as many passholders will not go (and they can't be transferred anymore) and many tickets will be left on Stubhub. Probably will be much like it usually is on Travers day.

Hope you are right, but you know as well as I do, even 40 k, real attendance, is crowded in there. It won't be the fiasco like Belmont is, I'm not saying that......no 100,000, but it will be crowded.

OTM Al
08-24-2015, 09:24 AM
Hope you are right, but you know as well as I do, even 40 k, real attendance, is crowded in there. It won't be the fiasco like Belmont is, I'm not saying that......no 100,000, but it will be crowded.
40K is a lot there, I know well. Despite what they have said I doubt they have gone much over 30K, if that, so far this year. Then you get the white socks and sandals crowd parking their lawn chairs on the walkways, further bogging it all down. Funny thing is last I checked the NYRA website said 70K was capacity. Would be surprised if that many ever showed up there.

The most stupid thing I have seen so far was Kay's comments acknowledging they know about the safety concerns when they open the gates and then saying they weren't going to do anything about it. Might have been even more ridiculous than when he upstaged the Dominic Galluscio tribute yesterday to announce American Pharoah was coming....after it had already been announced to the crowd. I fear for the future of racing in New York and what mess will be left when this guy is finally gone.

burnsy
08-28-2015, 08:45 AM
OTM AL, I don't think much of him either but that's for another thread.

The past few days have been like the calm before the storm. Smaller crowds and very quiet at the Spaaa. Boxes of merchandise have been coming into the grounds. Employees could be seen folding American Pharoah, Travers 146th and Pharoahtoga t-shirts. The tension is building and I even saw added security barriers for the enormous lines they will have. The Pharoah has taken Saratoga by storm.

Here's where I complain about the 5th race yesterday. It was a very bad deal for the betting public and a fumble by the gate crew. Number :5: , Slimshady gets gate scratched, no biggie. The :7: , Malibu Charlie freaks out, rears and breaks his bridle. The horse is so unruly that the bad blood is being felt by every other horse in the field. These are herd animals, the anxiety spread like a virus. Instead of scratching him immediately they attempt to put a new bridle on him in the gate because he's having none of it (after they find one). Eventually, after he flips out in the gate they scratch him too. By now the others are out of their game, I could see the whole thing unfold and am just as mad at myself for not canceling my bets....we all saw the rest. It was a joke, only two horses broke from the gate and a horse that should of been 100-1 won, that race was in no way fair to the bettors........believe me, I was watching the whole thing unfold. Most of the field, what was left, was done before the start. Like I said, I partly blame myself because I know horses, I should of canceled but the public took the worst of it. That was handled terribly. The horse should of been scratched 5 minutes before he was scratched anyway. I could see it and knew what was going to happen.......and it did. Always listen to your "spider senses", I fumbled too.

Other than that, the other races were great. All courses are really fair, closing on the turf courses is now the way to go. The weather affects everything and its no way as hot and dry as it was earlier in the meet. Keep this in mind moving forward and watch how those turf courses play. The horses are so evenly matched that the running style is often the difference when you can get a feel for what's winning on them, it will sometimes steer you towards the "right" horse.

Was thinking about going over for the "workout" but its 830 now, I think I'll pass....waiting for the real thing tomorrow.

burnsy
08-28-2015, 10:28 AM
Get em while they are hot...Pharoah fresh this morning, he's ready to go! Courtesy of a good friend.

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11898686_1207707472578845_6908681289329260092_n.jp g?oh=9f1aec478690e535e74e9a215af501ec&oe=5675FA6D

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/11885385_1207707495912176_4145195946371562941_n.jp g?oh=455e256dc6b70dec6146b67858ae38f6&oe=5678C508

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlp1/v/t1.0-9/11951776_1207707515912174_6026448260875763967_n.jp g?oh=201e65ec19a2c2cf9a1f7f12903b5399&oe=56808026

OTM Al
08-28-2015, 10:33 AM
Hear that somewhere around the track people are behaving very poorly. See anything odd going on?

burnsy
08-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Hear that somewhere around the track people are behaving very poorly. See anything odd going on?

Lol, yeah, yesterday backyard. Do you have "people" planted back there, giving you reports? Two employees got into it. Pan tops, liquids flying and an innocent bystander almost got hit with a full beer can.........."perps" were escorted out......... :rolleyes:

OTM Al
08-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Lol, yeah, yesterday backyard. Do you have "people" planted back there, giving you reports? Two employees got into it. Pan tops, liquids flying and an innocent bystander almost got hit with a full beer can.........."perps" were escorted out......... :rolleyes:
No, that's pretty normal stuff. Just heard from somebody there that there was some pretty bad crowd behavior going on this morning for the American Pharoah public jog. Warned her it could be a real nuthouse tomorrow with that stuff. People broke down an admissions gate a couple years ago just because they heard another gate was already open (it wasn't). I wouldn't be anywhere near one of those gates tomorrow morning when they open. Going to be stupid.

Tommy Tom
08-28-2015, 12:18 PM
Chad Brown has had a great meet so far and a couple of his NY bred turf horses belong in open company (only) because they are that good.

Speaking of hot, Irad is tearing it up with 5 winners yesterday. My friend calls him "Mr. Smooth Ride" because nothing seems to bother him, even if his horse gets a slow start. He's making his move to pull away with this thing and he was not here on Saturday, he was at Arlington Park..........

Hi

Living on eastern Long Island and haven't been to The Spa so I enjoy very much your postings during the meet, thank you.

Could you kindly provide the names of the NY turf bred horses you mentioned being trained by Chad Brown ? I don't get to follow or wager much but would like to add them to my horse watch list, thank you..

And yes Irad is the man for sure this meet....I haven't found the time yet to put some wagers together for the Travers Stakes but I for sure will be using both Irad and Javier as key horses in my tri tickets as I have feeling AP just might not run as well as expected....and I have a strong gut feeling that Keen Ice with Javier riding will run the race of his life....I hope so.

I have very few horses on my so called Watch List but 1 of them was entered yesterday in the 8th stakes and was a bomb .....My Cara Mia....who got up for 4th and added some real value to the super with Irad and Javier coming in 1st and 2nd...

My Cara Mia stays on my watch list for sure

Good luck and thanks again for your extremely interesting and entertaining posts.

burnsy
08-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Hi

Living on eastern Long Island and haven't been to The Spa so I enjoy very much your postings during the meet, thank you.

Could you kindly provide the names of the NY turf bred horses you mentioned being trained by Chad Brown ? I don't get to follow or wager much but would like to add them to my horse watch list, thank you..

And yes Irad is the man for sure this meet....I haven't found the time yet to put some wagers together for the Travers Stakes but I for sure will be using both Irad and Javier as key horses in my tri tickets as I have feeling AP just might not run as well as expected....and I have a strong gut feeling that Keen Ice with Javier riding will run the race of his life....I hope so.

I have very few horses on my so called Watch List but 1 of them was entered yesterday in the 8th stakes and was a bomb .....My Cara Mia....who got up for 4th and added some real value to the super with Irad and Javier coming in 1st and 2nd...

My Cara Mia stays on my watch list for sure

Good luck and thanks again for your extremely interesting and entertaining posts.

Thank you Tommy Tom, I bet Tommy Boy the other day to no avail.......

Ack Naughty and Offering Plan. Watch them.

Tommy Tom
08-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Ack Naughty and Offering Plan. Watch them.

Thank you !

burnsy
08-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Yesterday was NY State Bred day at the Spaaa. Six NY Bred stakes worth 1.15 million. The horse of the day for me was Lubash, he's just like a fine wine that improves with age. In his last 11 races, at the ages of 7 and 8, he's won 7, placed in 3 and showed in 1, just a solid NY campaigner. He sat 4th off the pace and mowed down the competition in the final 16th. Tough day for Burnsy because besides the chalky exacta that paid 9 bucks, I could not link anything else up.

Its finally here, the day of days and the race of races at Saratoga. There has not been a day like this since Alydar took on Affirmed in 1978. That was the day Burnsy was just 15 years old and horse racing captured my interest. The rest is 37 years of history chasing these horses. Talk about a long strange trip. I hope there are other teenagers in there that get "captured" today, like I did back then....some of these days have been the times of my life.........at the Spaaaaa.

The place had a circus like atmosphere yesterday. 15,000 showed up for a workout, guys were selling tickets outside the gates and people were lining up at 2 o'clock yesterday waiting for the 7 am gate opening......"running of the bulls" ....with perfect weather for this mayhem to boot.... :ThmbUp: Will be interesting to say the least.

burnsy
08-30-2015, 12:21 PM
Walked in at around 3 pm. The crowd was already packed in and I strolled right through the gate. Tons of extra security, metal detector wands and all. It really was not as bad as I imagined it would be. I'm not sure if there was 50,000 there but it was crowded...if anyone knows what the real attendance was?

There are no free lunches at Saratoga. The bigger the race, the more likely the jocks are going to press the front, especially if they know the most likely winner will be there. These trainers and jockeys are the best around America, they saw how the Preakness and Haskell went. It was hard to figure it would be Frosted but it was not hard to figure that someone would try it. American Pharoah ran a game race putting away a good horse that dogged him for 9 furlongs, he just could not hold off the second challenger who benefitted from circumstances of the race. The fans are so good here there was still way more cheering than booing, they appreciate the sport and the sportsmanship. Dale Romans was shocked that so many cheered for them at the winners circle. Say what you want about American Pharoah and his connections.......they took a shot, made a sport of horse racing and lost. It was a class move and losing almost makes it even classier, they really didn't have to run in this race but they wanted it for their horse and this game. It didn't pan out but it was the honorable thing to do, kudos to them. Speaking of "kudos", Javier Castellano takes his 5th Travers Stakes. The man is a riding machine and quietly gets it done all year long, good for him.

Burnsy fared well yesterday but could of scored out if Tepin would of held on in the Ballston Spa. When Dacita nipped her at the wire it cost me the pick 3 and 4. I had Tepin singled in the pick 3 and Coffee Clique (no where) was my other horse going in the pick 4. Other good performances were put in by Flintshire, Shear Drama, Private Zone and Runhappy as honorable mentions on the star studded undercard. What a race, what races, what a day!

To quote Javier in the after race interview, "Anything can happen on the race track, that's why I ride these horses."

Grits
08-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Burnsy, I wanted to tell you thank you for these writings! I've been here for two weeks, and I've enjoyed your take on your Spa. ;)

I look forward to spending a lot of time with great friends, here in Saratoga Springs, year after year.

Today, even someone new. Sitting in the grandstand, this young man in his early 30s maybe, heard someone ask where I lived...heard my southern accent. He turned and said, "I'm in Raleigh, we're neighbors." LOL

He was at the track for his second time. Last weekend, he brought his girlfriend with him, today he was by himself. "I love her dearly but I couldn't concentrate," he told me, "so I came back today. I didn't have a ticket for Travers Day."

He was studying the program, and was so excited to tell me "I'm bitten badly, I love this sport, but I've got so much to learn. Its like going back to college." I told him, "indeed it is , and you'll be learning for many years longer than it took for you to get through your college education."

He'd just picked Chad's horse in the 7th, paying $7.20. (We both liked this one.) He was happy as a clam, going to stand by the winners' circle to watch his winner get hosed off. Then back to his seat, and that program.

Maybe we'll keep getting newbs, especially like this one, outgoing and with fine manners.

I miss my son, and its time for me to head home tomorrow but I wanted to thank you for your updates. I hope you'll write more before meet's end.

burnsy
08-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Thank you Grits, glad you had a good time up here and even helped out with "fan development"......go home and hug your boy. :)

He's leaving too, on a jet plane.

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11914023_1209566562392936_4243393635749075240_n.jp g?oh=9ec9f24ceb8b96621b845954a873f968&oe=5682CC17

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/11951127_1209566612392931_1052471291974429080_n.jp g?oh=314242bd663b8c119b7dd160122b5146&oe=5669F683

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xat1/v/t1.0-9/11236433_1209566662392926_643173652310329277_n.jpg ?oh=739fd8ce691ca6bcd7fe97ae5c1593eb&oe=5671241D

https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11215716_1209566682392924_1088315786347680789_n.jp g?oh=ea313497fac32c09a4c05f4ebe8da66c&oe=56746AD9

burnsy
09-04-2015, 07:44 AM
Well, the warm weather returned after the Travers and the turf courses are really firm if not on the hard side. I always say the last week is for the locals because the crowds are light and many tourist leave after the Travers. But even some of the "natives" are getting restless with these results we've been getting. The last 3 racing days were bombs away with Wednesday being a day like I've never seen before, even at Saratoga.

Yesterday, I finally got a few tickets after suffering through two days of getting beat up at the windows. That being said, I kind of lost my cool in the last race when I really had a chance to win a large ticket. There were two speedy types entered in the race, :12: Saratoga by Design and :4: Saratoga Smoke who clearly looked over matched in this race, so, of course, I have the :12: at about 6-1 going in my multi race bets, along with the :7: Flying KC who is a closer and pretty much a waste of my money, but I still used him, thinking maybe, just maybe, someone could come off the pace. The gate opens, :11: Maggie's Dance bumps :12: Saratoga by Design and Shawn Bridgmohan falls to the ground..........the :4: makes the lead and the race is over...........Burnsy walks out shaking his head, even though I had a pretty good day. But these results are not for the weak of heart. Until further notice use speed in every inner turf race, no matter how bad the horse previously backed up. Maybe this will change but I'm waiting to see it.

We have 4 days to go, good luck and don't be afraid to go long, they are coming in.

burnsy
09-06-2015, 08:03 AM
Friday my girlfriend made her annual visit to the Spa with me. She likes to gamble but is more of a slots/casino person, anyway, a couple of her friends were there too. She hits the second race quinella and then we are off and running, scoring on the 3rd and 4th with Take it Inside and Royal Posse. We made our way over to the Shake Shack for lunch and then the Saratoga Winery after the races to eat dinner and see my friends band play on the deck there. The weather could not be better. I wish she went more with me because we usually do well at the track and it was really a great day. This the time of year I sound like coach Jim Harbaugh talking to his team....."who has it better than us?"

Saturday was another great day at the races but I did not fare as well at the windows cashing only one ticket and missing the late pick 3. Rachel' s Valentina did her momma proud and rolled late in the Spinaway. The crowd really enjoyed that one, cheers from the end of the grandstand to the clubhouse. Liam's Map has really put his name on the map in the older division taking the Woodward in splendid fashion. Is he pointing for the Classic or the Mile?

White Rose closed hard in the Glens Falls and bested Eastern Belle who is one of those horses that just can't seem to win but loves second. Yesterday there seemed to be a turn of events with the turf racing. The pace in most of the races was very contentious and front runners were coming back. All of the sudden the jocks are gunning for the front and the closers have a fighting chance. Keep an eye on this if you play today because the running style on these turf courses makes a huge difference on how the race plays out. This being a very, very dry summer up here the ground is very firm and hard but a fast pace will still insure things getting shaky late. Pace makes the race...especially on a hard turf course.

burnsy
09-07-2015, 10:44 PM
Well, all good things come to an end.....unfortunately most times faster than the bad things. The racing was exciting and the weather spectacular. Some summers we get streaks of stormy weather, not this year. Today it was 92 degrees without a cloud in the sky. A fitting way to end a fine summer meet.

After the 8th race Irad Ortiz was awarded with the Angel Cordero riding trophy. Angel was there to personally present the award to Irad and his family. He ended the meet with 57 wins. Javier Castellano was denied his third Spa riding title in a row but he still kicked butt. Javier won 6 grade 1 races including the Travers, the Whitney, the Alabama and the Woodward. Today he took the Hopeful and the grade 2 Bernard Baruch. No title but what a meet! Todd Pletcher won yet another title and received the H Allen Jerkens Award. Michael Dubb was the leading owner through his various partnerships.

Burnsy cashed a couple tickets but did not go out with a bang today. My pick 3 went up in smoke when Doug O'neill came to town and supplemented Ralis who strolled home like a good thing. That was an oversight on my part because a good friend of mine warned me about this entry two days ago. The meet is difficult and many times you zig where you could of sagged. I try to keep that to a minimum but it always happens here. Getting frustrated for 30 seconds and turning the page is the only way to over come that. That behavior took me years to learn.

My horse of the meet is Lubash. He is 8 years old and Burnsy is 52. He probably looks out of his stall at the colts and fillies and thinks the world has past him by. Burnsy thought the NYRA signal was slow all meet long and then figured out how to clear the windows and downloads on his tablet today..........the last day of the meet. Lubash is not the fastest horse on the grounds but he's damn capable. Burnsy not the best handicapper in the world, its a new day, but he knows this course, the pp's and can earn his keep. Yup, if I were a race horse, I would probably be Lubash. At this point in my life, I would want to be Lubash.

I stole this one, but this is the part where I talk about life that passes like dew. The circus rolled into town six weeks ago and, like that, its over. Shrink wrap was seen and Atlas moving trucks from Bay Shore were rolling in when I left. A flock of geese flew overhead as I headed towards the car signaling the end of summer....and we move on. The "worker bees" and the horses will still be there every morning for a couple more months but the gates will not greet the visitors.....during the afternoons all will be quiet....once the weather turns....she will be vacant and take a long winters nap. See you next season...at the Spaaaaaa. :)

taxicab
09-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the great blog Burnsy.
Well done sir.
Perhaps we should send you off to the Keenland Fall meet for another killer blog.....I hear they have a few extra races and events this year. ;)

Robert Fischer
09-07-2015, 10:55 PM
Thanks Burnsy. Was nice to read your Spaaaa blog.

thaskalos
Well, all good things come to an end.....unfortunately most times faster than the bad things. The racing was exciting and the weather spectacular. Some summers we get streaks of stormy weather, not this year. Today it was 92 degrees without a cloud in the sky. A fitting way to end a fine summer meet.

After the 8th race Irad Ortiz was awarded with the Angel Cordero riding trophy. Angel was there to personally present the award to Irad and his family. He ended the meet with 57 wins. Javier Castellano was denied his third Spa riding title in a row but he still kicked butt. Javier won 6 grade 1 races including the Travers, the Whitney, the Alabama and the Woodward. Today he took the Hopeful and the grade 2 Bernard Baruch. No title but what a meet! Todd Pletcher won yet another title and received the H Allen Jerkens Award. Michael Dubb was the leading owner through his various partnerships.

Burnsy cashed a couple tickets but did not go out with a bang today. My pick 3 went up in smoke when Doug O'neill came to town and supplemented Ralis who strolled home like a good thing. That was an oversight on my part because a good friend of mine warned me about this entry two days ago. The meet is difficult and many times you zig where you could of sagged. I try to keep that to a minimum but it always happens here. Getting frustrated for 30 seconds and turning the page is the only way to over come that. That behavior took me years to learn.

My horse of the meet is Lubash. He is 8 years old and Burnsy is 52. He probably looks out of his stall at the colts and fillies and thinks the world has past him by. Burnsy thought the NYRA signal was slow all meet long and then figured out how to clear the windows and downloads on his tablet today..........the last day of the meet. Lubash is not the fastest horse on the grounds but he's damn capable. Burnsy not the best handicapper in the world, its a new day, but he knows this course, the pp's and can earn his keep. Yup, if I were a race horse, I would probably be Lubash. At this point in my life, I would want to be Lubash.

I stole this one, but this is the part where I talk about life that passes like dew. The circus rolled into town six weeks ago and, like that, its over. Shrink wrap was seen and Atlas moving trucks from Bay Shore were rolling in when I left. A flock of geese flew overhead as I headed towards the car signaling the end of summer....and we move on. The "worker bees" and the horses will still be there every morning for a couple more months but the gates will not greet the visitors.....during the afternoons all will be quiet....once the weather turns....she will be vacant and take a long winters nap. See you next season...at the Spaaaaaa. :)
Burnsy...reading your Saratoga musings has been the highlight of this meet, as far as I am concerned. I don't remember cashing a bet there this year...but the sting stemming from my losses has been considerably lessened by your wonderful commentary and reflections. Thank you. :ThmbUp:

MonmouthParkJoe
I really enjoyed reading your daily accounts, made me feel as if I was actually there. My wife and I usually are up there for about three long weekends over the meet. We were there opening weekend and unfortunately never made it back as I had to leave for school. Being a fan for so many years made me want to work in the industry and having no connections decided to end my current career and get my masters in race track management at the University of Arizona. Saying I missed being at the spa is the understatement of the year, but hopefully will be able to make it back for an extended period of time next summer.

You only live once, make it count!

johnhannibalsmith
09-08-2015, 12:31 AM
... decided to end my current career and get my masters in race track management at the University of Arizona. ...You only live once, make it count!

Good for you. I love reading that.

LottaKash
09-08-2015, 01:36 AM
Great Saratoga Adventures told Burnsy.... Enjoyed reading them... :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
09-08-2015, 02:07 AM
I just read the entire thread and I wish I had followed it throughout the meet! Great stuff, Burnsy! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

It's been about 9 years now since I last made the pilgrimage and it's a sad fact. But I do want to give a shout-out to the Saratoga harness track. I loved doing the doubleheaders - you can't beat watching the trotters so close up on a moonlit night. And it seemed like the trotters bailed me out on too many days - or should I say the trotters needed to bail me out on too many days! :) Anyway, I was there when the harness track was hanging on prior to getting the casino and a couple times after the casino was finally OK'ed. I'm no slot player but if it keeps the pacers running - great!

Any thoughts on the harness track, Burnsy?

EMD4ME
09-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Burnsy,

Absolutely great stuff. Really enjoyed reading your thoughts.

Looking forward to next year, god willing!

EMD4ME

P.S. I miss Saratoga already....

MonmouthParkJoe
09-08-2015, 11:45 AM
I love the harness track there. While I don't always win there, its gorgeous and when the flats leave you wanting some more, its a quick 5 minute drive. On a nice night its great.

burnsy
09-08-2015, 06:02 PM
:) Thanks Monmouth Park Joe, END4ME, NJ Stinks, LottaKash, Thask, Robert Fischer ,Taxicab and anyone I missed and the people that read it. Thank you to the people that added their two cents too. It was fun, I was happy to share the Spa experience.

Monmouth Joe keep studying, follow that dream. Also, Joe and NJ Stinks, I've been known to hang out at the harness track on Friday night. I like the racing and the action over there too. Its a great place to hang out and socialize. I was betting the pacers and trotters before I got hooked on thoroughbreds. I'm glad the place is "back" too.

Taxicab, I didn't get tickets to Keenland, so I doubt I'll make it this year. Sort of wish I was going too. I may go down there for a weekend but it won't be the BC.

I'm glad people liked it, good luck to all!

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Thanks burnsy, from me as well. Seems someone has a blog from Saratoga (it's usually OTM Al), but you took up his mantle this year, and for that, I salute you! Well done sir!

OTM Al
09-08-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks burnsy, from me as well. Seems someone has a blog from Saratoga (it's usually OTM Al), but you took up his mantle this year, and for that, I salute you! Well done sir!
Thought it was great too. I always enjoyed doing it because it let people who couldn't get up there share in the experience. This year I was one of those people but burnsy helped me to miss it a bit less because he was willing to share his experience.

MonmouthParkJoe
09-08-2015, 11:08 PM
I absolutely will. I worked in finance and accounting for the last 11 years. Worked in public accounting for 7 years and private for 3 before forming my own consulting business. I honestly just got bored with what I was doing.

I guess as I am getting older (33) to be exact, I realize just how quickly time flies. I don't want to look back and say I wish I did this or that. I never had any connections in the race world and wanted to be on the operations side.

So, I applied to the program, packed whatever I could in my car, and drove cross country to Tucson. If you don't like what you do, make that change. I still cant believe I am here but im hungry. Hungry to make a difference in the game. I honestly believe if you are going to serve a customer base you should know what they want. As a player, I know what I would like to see.

I am currently focusing on places that are sustainable, so KY and NY are my top choices. I am currently feeling out overseas as well. The sky is the limit!

EMD4ME
09-08-2015, 11:11 PM
I absolutely will. I worked in finance and accounting for the last 11 years. Worked in public accounting for 7 years and private for 3 before forming my own consulting business. I honestly just got bored with what I was doing.

I guess as I am getting older (33) to be exact, I realize just how quickly time flies. I don't want to look back and say I wish I did this or that. I never had any connections in the race world and wanted to be on the operations side.

So, I applied to the program, packed whatever I could in my car, and drove cross country to Tucson. If you don't like what you do, make that change. I still cant believe I am here but im hungry. Hungry to make a difference in the game. I honestly believe if you are going to serve a customer base you should know what they want. As a player, I know what I would like to see.

I am currently focusing on places that are sustainable, so KY and NY are my top choices. I am currently feeling out overseas as well. The sky is the limit!

That is Absolutely AWESOME and I commend you!!!

Best of luck to you and if you ever need anything, consider us a resource!

alhattab
09-09-2015, 05:56 PM

Welcome to the Board Joe! Missed you last part of the Monmouth meet. Hope you are doing well.

MonmouthParkJoe
09-12-2015, 12:28 AM
haha yea took a little bit to get on here. Trust me im missing the crew back home. Not a thing to do over here. And the time difference is miserable with trying to play the east coast tracks. time flies though, ill be back in may for at least a month so I will see you then!