PDA

View Full Version : No Saratoga Crist blog this year?

Rico8812
07-25-2015, 12:48 AM
Was hoping it'd be back this season. Anyone know what's up?

EMD4ME
07-25-2015, 12:55 AM
Was hoping it'd be back this season. Anyone know what's up?

I don't know but I hope it's not his health. Finger's crossed.

howardjim
07-25-2015, 09:08 AM
Nothing since BC and Cigar posts, searches yield nothing.

Best to you Mr. Crist, say it ain't so, we'll see or read you in Saratoga.

KingChas
07-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Last Blog 11/29/14-But still writing.

Lately just articles on DRF plus/pay per view.

•Crist: Lake George preview/ DRF Plus
•Crist: Schuylerville Stakes preview DRF Plus
•Crist: American Pharoah just one of many Saratoga story lines /DRF Plus

Tom
07-25-2015, 10:58 AM
DRF Plus is their version of Witness Protection. :rolleyes:

Cholly
07-25-2015, 12:53 PM
DRF Plus is their version of Witness Protection. :rolleyes:

Admittedly it's only 9:50 am here on the left coast, but Tom's post is the most brilliant thing I've yet heard in this young day!

BMustang
07-25-2015, 11:15 PM
I too went fishing for this year's edition of the Crist blog.

The popular Saratoga fixture was missed my many last year due to Steven's ill health.

We were all hoping that it would resume this year. Appears not to be the case.

jeebus1083
07-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Did DRF end it this year? No entries since Cigar Mile Day. If so, it's a sad sad day.

letswastemoney
07-26-2015, 04:02 PM
Why give away Crist's thoughts for free, when you can have people fork up money for DRF Plus?

Robert Fischer
07-26-2015, 04:38 PM
Why give away Crist's thoughts for free, when you can have people fork up money for DRF Plus?

It's kind of like business plan for the whole sport...

Just between Saratoga and Del Mar, Crist could be broadcast to a lot of concentrated money, and a lot of fans as well, with sponsors paying more than the 'Plus subscribers are currently chipping in.

The only real justification I can give to the current plan is that Crist is connected to the DRF, as well as may need to contribute at his own pace. Crist deserves our utmost respect no matter how he operates.

castaway01
07-26-2015, 04:57 PM
It's kind of like business plan for the whole sport...

Just between Saratoga and Del Mar, Crist could be broadcast to a lot of concentrated money, and a lot of fans as well, with sponsors paying more than the 'Plus subscribers are currently chipping in.

The only real justification I can give to the current plan is that Crist is connected to the DRF, as well as may need to contribute at his own pace. Crist deserves our utmost respect no matter how he operates.

Well, it's not as if he's continued the blog but is making you pay for it as part of the DRF Plus plan. He's still writing articles, just not the blog. The blog used to have his daily thought and betting strategies---maybe his health issues are keeping him from watching and betting that closely every day?

Whatever the situation, I hope his health isn't the issue and he's doing okay.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2015, 05:12 PM
Well, it's not as if he's continued the blog but is making you pay for it as part of the DRF Plus plan. He's still writing articles, just not the blog. The blog used to have his daily thought and betting strategies---maybe his health issues are keeping him from watching and betting that closely every day?

Whatever the situation, I hope his health isn't the issue and he's doing okay.

Same here :ThmbUp:. Always was one of the best reads.

Secondbest
07-26-2015, 06:26 PM
Maybe he just can't do a dialy blog.Just an article now and then. I really miss the blog it was a great read with the array etc.

jeebus1083
07-27-2015, 11:28 PM
I sent Mr. Crist an email. His reply was that the decision to end the blog was not his. Other than that, his health is decent, although he didn't anticipate making it back up to Saratoga this year.

classhandicapper
07-28-2015, 09:26 AM
I don't know any details whatsoever but I think it's pretty clear DRF is moving towards more LIVE visual reporting at the homepage and LIVE commentary that gets posted by handicappers at the track to Twitter and the newly enhanced Entries and Results. You go to the entries and results and all the relevant commentary is tied right to the appropriate races in real time so you know what's going on at the track or with specific horses over and above just who is running.

Delta Cone
07-28-2015, 01:49 PM
I don't know any details whatsoever but I think it's pretty clear DRF is moving towards more LIVE visual reporting at the homepage and LIVE commentary that gets posted by handicappers at the track to Twitter and the newly enhanced Entries and Results. You go to the entries and results and all the relevant commentary is tied right to the appropriate races in real time so you know what's going on at the track or with specific horses over and above just who is running.

In theory the idea is good, but in practice the DRF site looks like they just keep bolting on new things, so you get this Frankenstein's monster that is a mix of some new-style pages and some older ones, plus the option (necessity) to go to the "classic home page" to see a wider array of stories.

The whole thing needs to be torn down and rebuilt with a coherent plan and a consistent look and feel.

I log on, get my pps, and get the hell out of there. Its just too much of a mess.

Tom
07-28-2015, 02:46 PM
so you get this Frankenstein's monster

FRANKULATOR!:lol:

Redboard
07-28-2015, 03:42 PM
I used to enjoy his blog, but it wasn't the same when he did it without being there.

Besides now we have the Burnsy blog, which is just as good!

EMD4ME
07-28-2015, 03:59 PM
I used to enjoy his blog, but it wasn't the same when he did it without being there.

Besides now we have the Burnsy blog, which is just as good!

Yes ! I was thinking the same as I reading Burnsy's thoughts LOL

howardjim
08-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I spoke with Andy Serling briefly before his show Saturday. He said Steve was fine, spoke to him regularly, an hour on Friday...confirmed he would not participate professionally ar SAR this year and that decision was due to circumstances not involving his health.

This seems to confirm what others have posted.

The DRF is dead, it will linger, pitifully, but there are half a dozen better sources for editorial content and software.

It reminds me of the august NYTimes, once the nwspaper of record, now similar but riddled with sad predudicial reporting.

My best to Mr. Crist, he made some poor decisions in NYRA's takeout fiasco but remains, to me, the sharpest read in racing.