PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Info Before You Decide To Upgrade

whodoyoulike
07-25-2015, 12:39 AM
See links at end of article before deciding. Reminder 1 year to decide.

Looks like you'll lose Windows Media Center. Uncertain of impact for me because I do use it.

Are there alternatives?

The Cortana A.I. feature looks interesting. It may be the deciding feature for me.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/windows-10-which-version-should-you-get-124778998979.html

pandy
11-28-2015, 07:44 AM
I installed my free Windows 10 upgrade last night. So far so good. Cortana is essentially Google + like on your phone, you can ask it questions. I just hope this new media center, Groove Music, doesn't lose my music. So far it isn't showing everything but it looks like it's still downloading.

Dave Schwartz
11-28-2015, 11:59 AM
Media player used to dump my music all the time, then it would say, "But don't worry. We'll just re-scan your music into the library."

Since I have over 2,500 CDs on a network drive, it took about a week. Seriously. Never again.

cj
11-28-2015, 01:26 PM
I've yet to run into a single issue with W10, been great. I've had it since the outset, a few months at least.

FocusWiz
11-28-2015, 01:48 PM
One thing I ran into on one of my computers is a setting to "Let Windows manage my default printer" which forces the default to be the printer last used. If you prefer to have the old behavior back (where you choose the default and then select other printers without affecting the default), you should turn this feature off.

pandy
11-29-2015, 08:38 AM
I installed my free Windows 10 upgrade last night. So far so good. Cortana is essentially Google + like on your phone, you can ask it questions. I just hope this new media center, Groove Music, doesn't lose my music. So far it isn't showing everything but it looks like it's still downloading.

I found out that you can't rip a cd to Groove, but Windows Media Player is still there and works as usual. Groove will automatically copy any music on your computer as long as you have the folder selected.

forced89
11-29-2015, 09:03 AM
I've yet to run into a single issue with W10, been great. I've had it since the outset, a few months at least.

I have had no issues either as I am still on Windows7 where I will remain until my current laptop dies. My history with laptops tells me I probably have about another 18 months until I have to buy a new one which no doubt will include Windows10.

Hoofless_Wonder
11-29-2015, 02:45 PM
I haven't used Media Center for a long time - but it was how I would tune in the TV signal before I decided a tuner card wasn't needed. I've downloaded and installed VLC, which is a nice multi-platform media player, and allows me to have the same tool on Linux.

For those that toggled/tweaked the "diagnostic" telemetry data collection (ie, where you surf), Microsoft has seen fit to turn it back on for you by renaming the service.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/24/windows-10-automatic-spying-begins-again/

Keeping an eye on your PC is a revenue generator for M$, 'cause, ya know, they're not making enough money...... :ThmbDown:

Red Knave
11-30-2015, 09:48 AM
I haven't used Media Center for a long time - but it was how I would tune in the TV signal before I decided a tuner card wasn't needed.
I know that you know this but for others reading this thread Media Center is not the same as Media Player. Media Center is no longer offered in Win10. I used it to run a Home Theater PC and it worked quite well. I have since moved to a dedicated tuner/DVR which I like a lot better.

Canarsie
12-01-2015, 12:06 PM

I agree 100% there hasn't been one glitch on my end. I'm really impressed with boot up time it is really quick. Plus it's free I have an image in case something goes wrong. I've had it a little less time than you and it's on a laptop and desktop.

I read they even let pirated copies get the upgrade but the notice (not sure what it says) will not go away. So if you were getting notices before it will still validate the upgrade even though they know the computer it's on didn't pay for it.

Hoofless_Wonder
12-02-2015, 01:29 AM
I know that you know this but for others reading this thread Media Center is not the same as Media Player. Media Center is no longer offered in Win10. I used it to run a Home Theater PC and it worked quite well. I have since moved to a dedicated tuner/DVR which I like a lot better.

Correct. Media Player is still part of W10, but I don't think it handles TV tuner signals. When you mention "dedicated tuner/DVR", I'm assuming you mean different hardware? Something like TIVO?

While my experience with Windows 10 so far has been mostly neutral, I don't find it any better than Windows 7. If anything, I don't like the "tablet" oriented interface as much, since I end up digging down to the same administrative menus or apps anyway. I haven't spent the time yet to tweak all the services and settings to turn off all the things I won't be using, but privacy concerns alone will ensure my desktop continues to run on Linux Mint 90+ percent of the time....

Dave Schwartz
12-02-2015, 04:02 AM
If anything, I don't like the "tablet" oriented interface as much, since I end up digging down to the same administrative menus or apps anyway.

I do not really know what Win10 looks like or how unpleasant it is. But these guys have a great product for Win8 that made it function like Win7 (i.e. gave you back your desktop). I cost a whopping $4.95.

Might be worth a look.

Start 10 from Stardock (https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/download.asp)

cj
12-02-2015, 05:18 PM
I do not really know what Win10 looks like or how unpleasant it is. But these guys have a great product for Win8 that made it function like Win7 (i.e. gave you back your desktop). I cost a whopping $4.95.

Might be worth a look.

Start 10 from Stardock (https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/download.asp)

Start menu is back in W10 so you really don't need that. You really don't even need a start menu for W10 to be honest, the search function is great. Just type in the program you want and it pops right up.

jk3521
12-02-2015, 07:10 PM
Start menu is back in W10 so you really don't need that. You really don't even need a start menu for W10 to be honest, the search function is great. Just type in the program you want and it pops right up.

I just ask Cortana to open BRIS PP Generator or any of my other programs. No need to do any typing. :ThmbUp:

MONEY
12-02-2015, 08:11 PM
Ever since I switched to Windows 10 I can not open Pdf files with the windows browser. I just get a message that says "Something’s keeping this PDF from opening."
I downloaded the acrobat reader for windows 10 and for some reason Microsoft Edge can't find it.
Google Chrome works fine though.
I won't upgrade to Windows 10 on my laptop because I need to open Brisnet PPs when I'm at the track.

Dave Schwartz
12-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Ever since I switched to Windows 10 I can not open Pdf files with the windows browser. I just get a message that says "Something’s keeping this PDF from opening."

Know problem with WIndows 10 (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+10+cannot+open+PDF)

MONEY
12-03-2015, 12:17 AM
Thanks, I hope that they fix it soon. I have tried everything & nothing works.

Hoofless_Wonder
12-03-2015, 04:18 AM

But, but, it's a GUI. Why should I have to type? :)

Actually, the problem I have is that I'm an old dog that struggles with new tricks. Each release of Windows hides the SAME damn buttons in a new spot. Since I have to work on several different flavors of desktops, servers, and applications for work as a consultant, I try to learn the "native" interfaces as best I can. It's a pet peeve of mine when some moves my piece of cheese, and it's still the same piece of cheese when I find it. Linux distributions have the same issue, but with Windows one would expect a bit more static interface, since they command the market.

Might have to give the voice assistance gadget a whirl, and see how that compares to Dragon, which is one of three applications I can only run on Windows.

senortout
12-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Just make Adobe reader the default app for opening pdf files in Windows 10. Whats so difficult about that. And, yes, I am using 10. And yes, matter of fact, pdf files did open ok in 10, even before I made Adobe the default. I just prefer Adobe reader, is all. Still, for the most part, I am using another system entirely...Ubuntu 14.04.3 version of Linux. Nearly perfect now, for nearly all my needs. I open the computer at a menu (grub2) where I choose which operating system I wish to use. Windows 10 is way better than 8.1, and marginally superior to Windows 7....only difference being, 10 will be better supported down the road by Microsoft, as they phase out older operating systems.

MONEY
12-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Just make Adobe reader the default app for opening pdf files in Windows 10. Whats so difficult about that.
Done that. It doesn't work for me.

Flysofree
12-16-2015, 09:37 PM
Am I getting this right....With Windows 10 you can't do the Adobe Reader??

Say it ain't so. :confused:

Hoofless_Wonder
12-17-2015, 05:21 AM
Am I getting this right....With Windows 10 you can't do the Adobe Reader??

Say it ain't so. :confused:

No, the problem is opening a PDF file to read directly from the browser, using Edge. Using Chrome will work, or if you have Acrobat/Acroread installed as software package, it can open and read the PDFs just fine.

Flysofree
12-17-2015, 09:38 AM
I never seem to ask my questions correctly.... Wow another hoop to jump through. All I want to be able to do is read the Past performances like I do now on Windows 7. Defnately going to wait until June before doing the download.If it's not fixed by then I will stay 4 more years with Windows 7...with which I am content.

whodoyoulike
12-17-2015, 06:23 PM
Because of your question, I checked and Adobe Acrobat is apparently not available to access directly with my Windows 10 but, I'm able to retrieve and save to AA PDF files under MS Edge. Although, I don't understand how exactly that's being done.

Flysofree
12-17-2015, 06:32 PM
What about with Firefox on Windows 10? That is what I'm using now and have been for several months on Windows 7.

whodoyoulike
12-17-2015, 06:37 PM
I've never had FF but you can probably ask them since there is a forum or something similar which I've seen.

Flysofree
12-17-2015, 08:29 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. About Browsers. Microsoft is still supporting Internet Explorer...right? Meanwhile they have a new browser called Edge? Now they don't seem to be really up to date on the latest broswers... If so they would only have ONE browser..But it appear with just this simple issue, they are still behind Chrome. When you have two browsers, to me it's like having 2 wives.... Something is F'cked up.

senortout
12-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Hey, I'm opening and reading the pps just fine, in the firefox browser, or, if I choose so, in Adobe Reader, and there are no, 0 nada problems installing Adobe Reader in Windows 10. Lately, I have preferred opening 3 or four tracks right in the browser, arranging the tabs in approx post-time order. Easy click back and forth between adw and pps. Someone is dragging their feet. Windows 10, no problemo.

I never seem to ask my questions correctly.... Wow another hoop to jump through. All I want to be able to do is read the Past performances like I do now on Windows 7. Defnately going to wait until June before doing the download.If it's not fixed by then I will stay 4 more years with Windows 7...with which I am content.

cj
12-18-2015, 12:13 AM
Hey, I'm opening and reading the pps just fine, in the firefox browser, or, if I choose so, in Adobe Reader, and there are no, 0 nada problems installing Adobe Reader in Windows 10. Lately, I have preferred opening 3 or four tracks right in the browser, arranging the tabs in approx post-time order. Easy click back and forth between adw and pps. Someone is dragging their feet. Windows 10, no problemo.

I think he knows this, it is using the Edge browser where he has the problem. Why he wants to use Edge I don't know, personal preference I guess.

whodoyoulike
12-18-2015, 12:21 AM
MS Edge was/is the default by upgrading from 8.1.

If I install Adobe Acrobat and keep Edge will there be any conflicts?

Is there a toggle option between the two or do you have to delete one of them?

senortout
12-18-2015, 02:40 AM
There will be no conflicts between Edge and Adobe Reader. However, Edge is a 'work in progress' and I sincerely feel you would be happier with Internet Explorer, or Firefox, or even the Google browser, at least until Edge matures.
open the start menu..and go to 'all apps'...I think you will find that you still have a copy of Internet Explorer. They kept in in Windows 10 for those who prefer it to the new Edge. (did'ya all know that?)

senortout
12-18-2015, 02:46 AM
In my previous post, I should have pointed out something. You seem to be thinking that Adobe Reader is similar to your browser. It is not. It is a stand-alone application designed specifically to open .pdf files, like our thoroughbred pps..that is the format they are written in. There is, however a connection in that Adobe Reader can be made to open the pps right in the browser. I think I've got that right.

whodoyoulike
12-18-2015, 07:55 PM
There will be no conflicts between Edge and Adobe Reader. However, Edge is a 'work in progress' and I sincerely feel you would be happier with Internet Explorer, or Firefox, or even the Google browser, at least until Edge matures.
open the start menu..and go to 'all apps'...I think you will find that you still have a copy of Internet Explorer. They kept in in Windows 10 for those who prefer it to the new Edge. (did'ya all know that?)

Thanks, I do know that Adobe Reader (AA) is a program and not a browser. Currently, I have available as separate browsers (and separate desktop icons) Edge, Chrome and IE which all came with the upgrade to Windows 10. My previous question was concerning after adding AA and I'm in one of the browsers ..... How do I retrieve or save a file in AA without the browser first going to Edge which is currently occurring?

If it requires jumping thru hoops, I'll just do what I'm currently doing since it does save and retrieve files as AA PDF's and the files are compatible on my XP machine. It just has a different look and feel but, I can live with it