PDA

View Full Version : Wild West Web

Grits
07-22-2015, 10:15 AM
turning the page? The path of a couple of mavericks, it's all good. But when the bottom line ain't growing? Maybe a change of habit is necessary in order to become profitable. ... Or, is it just growing up?

Either way, its interesting reading, gentlemen. ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/business/media/limits-at-gawker-rules-at-reddit-wild-west-web-turns-a-page.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

TJDave
07-22-2015, 03:26 PM
I don't understand any of this. But, then, I have no knowledge of Gawker or Reddit.

Hoofless_Wonder
07-22-2015, 07:33 PM
With examples like eBay, Amazon and Google out there on new business models for the web, it was easier to get funding for sites offering something new - in this case unfiltered information flow. But their business "model" relies on a lot of free labor, and there's a limit to how far you can grow with that approach while losing money. I read somewhere that Reddit borrowed $50M last year, and that group wants to see their money grow - and those who are used to the "free" gravy train will resist changes leading to more profits.

I don't believe it's too far-fetched to think of the last 15 years or so as the "golden age" of the internet, as costs are going up, the chickens are coming home to roost, and the less efficient business models will get swept under.

johnhannibalsmith
07-22-2015, 08:12 PM
I admit that I don't know much of Gawker and Reddit but if they have to be 'nicer' or 'more mainstream' to be viable commercially, then it seems to me that they inevitably just land in the massive scrap heap of websites that already offer that.