PDA

View Full Version : West Virginia Derby day August 1

lamboguy
07-22-2015, 02:13 AM
the nominations just came out today and from the looks of it we are in for one great day of racing at the Mountain.

i wish i was going, but the airfaire for me was rediculous. i have a mortgage and 2 x wives to payoff and couldn't justify the trip this year especially since i am going to the Haskel the next day. for those that will be there, you are in for a treat. http://www.moreatmountaineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/WV-DERBY-PPS.pdf

this West Virgina Derby will be like iron. the other races will be great as well.

congratulations to Mark Paterson and the rest of the racing office getting that many interested in their races for that day.. if the weather is good i predict that handle records for that day will be shattered.

SG4
07-22-2015, 10:23 AM
How did Firing Line end up on the nominations? He's been hurt for awhile now. Maybe the connections were just really excited for a chance to take him to West Virginia & nominated several months ago?

BlueChip@DRF
07-22-2015, 10:36 AM
I'm betting on Bejerano if he's in other races that night.

woodtoo
07-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the link Lamboguy, lets get us some 2 year old winners at the Spa :ThmbUp:

lamboguy
07-22-2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the link Lamboguy, lets get us some 2 year old winners at the Spa :ThmbUp:try on friday in the second race SARATOGA GAL. i was expecting this other filly in that race and she never entered. this will be a good guide for me there.

lamboguy
07-22-2015, 01:42 PM
try on friday in the second race SARATOGA GAL. i was expecting this other filly in that race and she never entered. this will be a good guide for me there.this horse did not come from us, the 9 did though, CORINTHIAN'S JOY not bad but not as good.

woodtoo
07-22-2015, 02:49 PM
try on friday in the second race SARATOGA GAL. i was expecting this other filly in that race and she never entered. this will be a good guide for me there.

Perfect name for the Spa, will be keeping track as I have more free time this year. GL

cnollfan
07-22-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm betting on Bejerano if he's in other races that night.

That day. Special post time 2 p.m. I only mention it because I snoozed through the WVa Derby a few years ago.

thespaah
07-22-2015, 09:12 PM
the nominations just came out today and from the looks of it we are in for one great day of racing at the Mountain.

i wish i was going, but the airfaire for me was rediculous. i have a mortgage and 2 x wives to payoff and couldn't justify the trip this year especially since i am going to the Haskel the next day. for those that will be there, you are in for a treat. http://www.moreatmountaineer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/WV-DERBY-PPS.pdf

this West Virgina Derby will be like iron. the other races will be great as well.

congratulations to Mark Paterson and the rest of the racing office getting that many interested in their races for that day.. if the weather is good i predict that handle records for that day will be shattered.
Flying into Pittsburgh( I assume cuz it's the closest to Chester WV) is now expensive? I thought since US Airways( Now American) pulled out as KPIT's dominant carrier, fares would fall.

mountainman
07-23-2015, 07:37 AM
How did Firing Line end up on the nominations? He's been hurt for awhile now. Maybe the connections were just really excited for a chance to take him to West Virginia & nominated several months ago?

He was the first horse I went after. And it WAS months ago. You would be surprised at the mindset with which trainers approach the nomination process. Remember as well that it's free to nominate to our race, so there would be no reason for them to pull the nomination.

mountainman
07-23-2015, 07:40 AM
Flying into Pittsburgh( I assume cuz it's the closest to Chester WV) is now expensive? I thought since US Airways( Now American) pulled out as KPIT's dominant carrier, fares would fall.

I can drive from Mnr to the Pgh airport in about 55 min. A tad less if I'm really booking.

SG4
07-23-2015, 10:16 PM
He was the first horse I went after. And it WAS months ago. You would be surprised at the mindset with which trainers approach the nomination process. Remember as well that it's free to nominate to our race, so there would be no reason for them to pull the nomination.

Thanks for the info! Could you expand more on the mindset with which trainers approach a nomination process & why it's surprising? My thought is why wouldn't anyone with a decent 3yo nominate if it's free & at least see how the race might be shaping up.

davew
07-24-2015, 02:13 AM
there are some maidens nominated

I am interested in why someone with a great horse that is still a maiden, would want to run against those triple crown racers?

lamboguy
07-24-2015, 04:23 AM
try on friday in the second race SARATOGA GAL. i was expecting this other filly in that race and she never entered. this will be a good guide for me there.
this is the wrong horse that i have been waiting from T. Hills, i will wait for the right one that i saw, i didn't know the names just the colors!

lamboguy
07-24-2015, 04:31 AM
Flying into Pittsburgh( I assume cuz it's the closest to Chester WV) is now expensive? I thought since US Airways( Now American) pulled out as KPIT's dominant carrier, fares would fall.i had to fly from Boston to Pittsburgh and Pittsburgh to Newark on a different airline, the fare was over $700 and my friend lou Ruberto is still unsure if he is going to enter for the W. Virginia Derby with his horse ALLISEEISGOLD. he didn't want to be in a race with no chance at all when he can run in Ohio Breds a week later that the horse will be 1/9. he still might run depending who he thinks is going to run in the Derby and enter on Monday.

i go to the Haskel every year and will just drive down with my wife for it.

tanner12oz
07-24-2015, 06:44 PM
I go to the WV derby every year. Its a nice laid back day. Some good horses show up and its not a clusterf$&* like big days elsewhere.

mountainman
07-24-2015, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the info! Could you expand more on the mindset with which trainers approach a nomination process & why it's surprising?

Sure. Sometimes sore or injured horses are nominated in case of an unlikely or quick recovery. And occasionally, because the connections are keeping secrets about the horse's real condition. To be honest-and I'm not referring specifically to the wv derby, or exclusively to higher class stakes-I've seen tons of horses never intended to start hit the nom list because owners and trainers long on ego just wanted as much attention as possible drawn to their runner and what they had accomplished with said animal. Believe me, it happens.

Sometimes inexperienced horses and even maidens are nominated for stakes races to mollify unrealistic owners. Occasionally, that's even done to diss the race.

And finally, some people are straight up nutty. There was a woman (who shall remain nameless, much in the same way Lucifer's name is not spoken for fear it might draw his attention) in the habit or nominating woefully bred, unraced horses to our stakes, the wv derby included. She would even try to nominate un-started 6 and 7 year olds to our derby and fight us tooth and nail when informed the race is restricted to 3-yr-olds.

This chick would call us twice a day to plead her ridiculous case and refused to hear reason. And she wrote us long, bizarre, self-centered letters claiming god had promised her a wv derby win. To glorify his name.

Worst of all, she had uncanny timing at hounding us right at derby crunch -time, when we could least afford the distraction. Joe and I still debate whether she was sincere and crazy, or brilliantly malicious. I vote malicious, but whatever the case, she was one of a kind.

As a footnote you might find interesting, I was jogging around mnr's facility two or three years ago on a dark fall day when a very attractive girl appeared from almost nowhere to strike up a spirited (and flirty) conversation. When I asked her name, her face twisted into a cold smile, and she replied, "I'm ...., Mark." The thought of her still creeps me out. BIG TIME.

tanner12oz
07-25-2015, 11:22 AM
Sure. Sometimes sore or injured horses are nominated in case of an unlikely or quick recovery. And occasionally, because the connections are keeping secrets about the horse's real condition. To be honest-and I'm not referring specifically to the wv derby, or exclusively to higher class stakes-I've seen tons of horses never intended to start hit the nom list because owners and trainers long on ego just wanted as much attention as possible drawn to their runner and what they had accomplished with said animal. Believe me, it happens.

Sometimes inexperienced horses and even maidens are nominated for stakes races to mollify unrealistic owners. Occasionally, that's even done to diss the race.

And finally, some people are straight up nutty. There was a woman (who shall remain nameless, much in the same way Lucifer's name is not spoken for fear it might draw his attention) in the habit or nominating woefully bred, unraced horses to our stakes, the wv derby included. She would even try to nominate un-started 6 and 7 year olds to our derby and fight us tooth and nail when informed the race is restricted to 3-yr-olds.

This chick would call us twice a day to plead her ridiculous case and refused to hear reason. And she wrote us long, bizarre, self-centered letters claiming god had promised her a wv derby win. To glorify his name.

Worst of all, she had uncanny timing at hounding us right at derby crunch -time, when we could least afford the distraction. Joe and I still debate whether she was sincere and crazy, or brilliantly malicious. I vote malicious, but whatever the case, she was one of a kind.

As a footnote you might find interesting, I was jogging around mnr's facility two or three years ago on a dark fall day when a very attractive girl appeared from almost nowhere to strike up a spirited (and flirty) conversation. When I asked her name, her face twisted into a cold smile, and she replied, "I'm ...., Mark." The thought of her still creeps me out. BIG TIME.

there was an awful local horse in the race last year..who was simply there to draw attention to there partnership. Flying g stables maybe was the name

SG4
07-25-2015, 08:14 PM

Thanks for the insight. A very attractive girl & she likes horse racing? I would think other character flaws could be put aside for that combo.

lamboguy
07-27-2015, 07:13 PM
http://www.equibase.com/static/entry/MNR080115USA-EQB.html?SAP=viewe1

check out this card at the Mountain.

the handle will be huge as long as the weather is nice. won't be that bad even if it isn't.

Rise Over Run
07-27-2015, 07:16 PM
i go to the Haskel every year and will just drive down with my wife for it.

Which one? :lol: :lol: :lol:

lamboguy
07-27-2015, 07:19 PM
Which one? :lol: :lol: :lol:the one i'm married to now, as you know i am still paying off 2 of them

onefast99
07-28-2015, 10:26 AM
the one i'm married to now, as you know i am still paying off 2 of them
Hopefully we run in the Oceanport, see you at the track Sunday.

Appy
07-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Taking advantage of the opportunity for free nominations is one way to boost sale price on a horse with conditions open.

SG4
07-30-2015, 11:24 AM
If you're Bob Baffert, why wouldn't you ship a horse like Fame and Power in for this race? He would've been one of the favorites for this 750k purse, instead he's entered in a pretty salty allowance field vs older on Friday at Del Mar for 75k. He always says if they're doing well they get on the plane, so is this some sort of indication that maybe the horse isn't at his sharpest? Hollendorfer has a horse going to MNR so don't think it would've been a transportation issue. Either way I'm curious to see how Fame & Power does on Friday, as he was many many lengths the best in his last race & was expecting to see him move on to bigger & better, a little torn as to what to think now.

OTM Al
07-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Since I've had it with trying to bet Saratoga, going to give this card a shot. Couple of longer priced horses (at least ML wise) kinda like in the last 3 races. I swore off the Mountain several years ago, but maybe it can win me back.

Tom
07-31-2015, 12:08 PM
Looks like really good card.

Impressive webpage...nice and orderly, not full of colors and crap and what have you.

Words that tell you where something is. Easy to navigate...:ThmbUp::ThmbUp:

tanner12oz
08-01-2015, 09:22 AM
Card tends to be kinda chalky and usually alot of scratches due to cross entries

Tom
08-01-2015, 04:56 PM
Very hard to watch with the guy hosting HRTV....does he think it is a golf tourney? I've heard guys on their death beds with more vigor in their voices.

Someone buy him a shot and a beer. :rolleyes:

VeryOldMan
08-01-2015, 05:09 PM
Mark and Nancy aren't exactly "media friendly" (as they'd probably both admit) but they sure know their stuff at this track. Ignore them at your peril, even on this big day. Good job.

ChickenOrTheEgg
08-01-2015, 05:29 PM
I miss this race every year because of the early post time :bang: I just did it again.

Tom
08-01-2015, 05:33 PM
I caught it, found it pretty :sleeping: and missed the Amsterdam while TVG plays go find the track once again. What a pain in the arse they are.

thespaah
08-01-2015, 06:23 PM
the one i'm married to now, as you know i am still paying off 2 of them
Oh no.....

thespaah
08-01-2015, 06:26 PM
I caught it, found it pretty :sleeping: and missed the Amsterdam while TVG plays go find the track once again. What a pain in the arse they are.
If you are so inclined, look on roberts communication's website and look for the free feeds from the various tracks. Or go to the track's websites to see if free live video is available.

Tom
08-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Not worth it to have to keep switching from website to website.
Easier to just not bother.
Most of the races are garbage anyways.
Hardly any are worth betting.

Not missing much....... :sleeping:

mountainman
08-01-2015, 06:35 PM
Mark and Nancy aren't exactly "media friendly" (as they'd probably both admit) but they sure know their stuff at this track. Ignore them at your peril, even on this big day. Good job.

I'm DEFINITELY not a tv-looking guy..lol..the term "face made for radio" comes to mind.....nor do I fit any established mold when it comes to commentary..,too opinionated, too irreverent..too unwilling to sand off my pointed remarks....Nancy is much more of a conformist...and one very attractive babe..you should see her dolled up in a tight skirt

lamboguy
08-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Mark and Nancy aren't exactly "media friendly" (as they'd probably both admit) but they sure know their stuff at this track. Ignore them at your peril, even on this big day. Good job.i agree with this one and also i have to give plenty of credit to the Hong Kong simulcast show, for sure those 2 shows are the very best in the business.

VeryOldMan
08-01-2015, 07:01 PM
I'm DEFINITELY not a tv-looking guy..lol..the term "face made for radio" comes to mind.....nor do I fit any established mold when it comes to commentary..,too opinionated, too irreverent..too unwilling to sand off my pointed remarks....Nancy is much more of a conformist...and one very attractive babe..you should see her dolled up in a tight skirt
LOL - I'm not a big MNR fan as a bettor/horse racing fan, but I always appreciate that you two bring your A game, including to the big WV Derby day. Good stuff!

Zydeco
08-01-2015, 07:04 PM

Lol agreed!