PDA

View Full Version : NHL 2015/16

Pages : [1] 2 3

HoofedInTheChest
07-20-2015, 05:37 PM
Opening night is October 7th, and some teams have made substantial changes this off season. Who in your opinion will be a surprize in 2015/16?

My money is on Dallas and Calgary becoming contenders, and per usual the West will dominate for the foreseeable future as far as Cups are concerned.

Can Kessel elevate the Pens to the next level? Knowing what i know about him, i would have to say no.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CI_9nWoUwAAfFeR.jpg:large

Stillriledup
07-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Any thoughts on Bieksa to the Ducks? Has that guy lost a step or will he be rejuvenated playing w his pal Kessler on a cup contender ?

HoofedInTheChest
07-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Any thoughts on Bieksa to the Ducks? Has that guy lost a step or will he be rejuvenated playing w his pal Kessler on a cup contender ?
I think Anaheim may have shot themselves in the foot by signing Kessler to a $41.25 Million 6 year deal, with a full no-movement clause in the first 5 years. That means you are stuck with him until he is 36, good luck with that.

Having said that, you have a quality defense core and a solid group of young forwards that are very cap friendly, but here is the rub, the majority of them are restricted free agents next summer. The likelihood of you keeping this lineup together after this season is slim, which means you have to win this year. Your veterans are in the latter part of their primes, and from what i saw they didn’t exactly impress me against a quality opposition.

You dumped ol man Beauchemin and replaced him with Kevin Bieksa, who is a hard–nosed, defensive-minded defenseman. He won’t get you many points and i wouldn’t call him a game changer by any means. He is 34 and well seasoned but i question his foot speed in the contemporary NHL.

My biggest concern is with your goaltending, they picked up Anton Khudobin from Carolina who is a back-up at best. This deal was a head scratcher seeing that the team has to win now, and you already have two guys that have yet to prove themselves, you better pray that Gibson elevates his game next season because Anderson has some serious flaws, there are rumors of Gibson starting next season in the AHL, that should make him really happy.

And lastly, the Ducks hired Dave Nonis? WTF? The only smart move the Ducks have made was hiring Paul MacLean as an assistant, he worked under Babcock in Detroit and was coach of the year in Ottawa, and i would make a sizeable wager that he will replace Boudreau when they finally realize that this guy is a stiff.

Keep your fingers crossed, it’s this year or bust, and i have already bet against them, at least you brought back Brian McGrattan. :lol:

OTM Al
07-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Opening night is October 7th, and some teams have made substantial changes this off season. Who in your opinion will be a surprize in 2015/16?

My money is on Dallas and Calgary becoming contenders, and per usual the West will dominate for the foreseeable future as far as Cups are concerned.

Can Kessel elevate the Pens to the next level? Knowing what i know about him, i would have to say no.

Can see Calgary finishing 2nd in the Pacific as Ducks will probably win it again and fade in playoffs. Dallas is the tougher call. The worst team in the Central had 90 pts last year and that was the poor starting Avs. Everyone in that division is going to be competitive and can see that one not shaking out til the final week. Key injury is unpredictable and could do a team in there. No way I'd try to predict that division though could see Calgary playing whoever comes out of there (and getting beat) in the conference finals.

In the East if I had to make a call I'd have to go with Tampa coming out of the Atlantic since Montreal did nothing to improve offence as of yet and the Metropolitan should come down to the Isles and Caps, so I'll go homer and put the Isles into the conference finals, but losing to Tampa. If there was any depth in the Metro I'd take a stab at both Pens and Rangers missing playoffs, but one is sure to make it because the rest just isn't that good.

MutuelClerk
07-21-2015, 03:30 PM
I also like the Stars and Flames. Have a friend going to Vegas an just sent money out on those two teams. I think Valeri Nichushkin is the real deal and will explode this season and hopefully be injury free.

HoofedInTheChest
07-21-2015, 06:58 PM
In the East if I had to make a call I'd have to go with Tampa coming out of the Atlantic since Montreal did nothing to improve offence as of yet and the Metropolitan should come down to the Isles and Caps, so I'll go homer and put the Isles into the conference finals, but losing to Tampa. If there was any depth in the Metro I'd take a stab at both Pens and Rangers missing playoffs, but one is sure to make it because the rest just isn't that good.
I agree, my money is on Tampa and the Islanders in the East. I had to laugh today when i read that Braden Holtby is asking for $8 Mill for next season, is this guy for real? I know there isn't enough quality goaltending to go around but to be the second highest paid goalie next to Hank is ludicrous. I wouldn't have this guy in my top 10, wtf has he accomplished to be asking for that kind of dough?

As it turns out Markham did not put in an application for expansion yesterday, i guess his financing backed out which is probably a good idea seeing the $500 Mill price tag. When you add up the cost to build a new arena as well as an operating budget you are looking at $1.2 Billion. I would wait until one of the southern teams bottoms out and has to relocate, you would save yourself about $300 Mill going that route. As well, Seattle was scared away with the $2 Mill non refundable deposit, that and they don't have an arena deal yet so it looks like it's only Vegas and Quebec City.

My Leafs keep raiding the Red Wings cupboard, yesterday the Leafs hired Ari Vuori as the head of European scouting. Ari was second in command with the Red Wings and is very well respected for some of his key finds in Europe, Shanny continues to impress.

Greyfox
07-22-2015, 10:04 AM
The NHL sent out 16 applications for new franchises.
Apparently they were disappointed that only 2 came back - Quebec City and Las Vegas.
As Hoofedinthechest pointed out in the old thread, most franchises are nowhere near worth the 500 million that Bettman and the owners want.
Any smart group would wait four or five years and see what franchises might fold. Then offer them a chance to relocate to a place like Seattle or wherever.
A smart businessman might pick up a failing franchise for a third what the NHL is asking.

HoofedInTheChest
07-23-2015, 01:29 PM
Lou Lamoriello is the new GM in Toronto and i'm kind of stunned by this, i will need some time to digest this.

Greyfox
07-23-2015, 07:55 PM
Lou Lamoriello is the new GM in Toronto and i'm kind of stunned by this, i will need some time to digest this.

What is also amazing about this development is that this appointment flew under the hockey pundits radar without detection until it was announced.
There were no leaks. I wonder how long this has been cooking?

OTM Al
07-23-2015, 09:14 PM
The question I have is, what does this mean for New Jersey? Going to Toronto means he didn't not want to do a rebuilding job. Not much a team there except for a very nice young goalie I'd love to have.

HoofedInTheChest
07-23-2015, 10:57 PM
What is also amazing about this development is that this appointment flew under the hockey pundits radar without detection until it was announced.
There were no leaks. I wonder how long this has been cooking?
Everything Shanny has done has flown under the radar, i love it. He fired the entire PR department on Black Sunday because there was too much dirty laundry being aired in public, and the Toronto vulture’s always had the goods before it actually happened. The media are being kept at arms length these days, and rightfully so, this is the first step in protecting the players. The assistant coach's are off limits, if you have a question it all goes through Babcock, the same can be said about upper management, if you have a question go see Lou, lol, and you might want to get out your crowbar because he is fairly tight lipped.

Shanny was the very first player Lou ever drafted in NJ, and once again past relationships are coming into to play. I’m starting to think this is a good idea, a little old school thinking mixed with some progressive thinking and having a HOF GM mentoring Kyle Dubas, for he will be the successor some day. The Leafs have to give NJ a third round pick in compensation for Lou, and he signed a 3 year deal in the Big Smoke. Things are unfolding nicely...

The new ownership in New Jersey handcuffed Lou with a cheap budget seeing that the team is a money loser, and he admitted it was tough to build a competitive hockey team on a ten cent budget. They’re doomed in NJ.

HoofedInTheChest
08-01-2015, 06:00 PM
For those needing a fix.

Canada's U20 Program of Excellence Summer Showcase team will play four exhibition games this week, all of which will be broadcast on TSN. Toronto's Mitch Marner and Travis Dermott are both attending the camp. ;)

The schedule:

Monday, August 3 at 8 pm: Canada vs. Russia
Tuesday, August 4 at 5:30 pm: Canada vs. Czech Republic
Wednesday, August 5 at 8 pm: Canada vs. Russia
Thursday, August 6 at 5 pm: Canada vs. Czech Republic

MutuelClerk
08-01-2015, 07:05 PM
My friend is back from Vegas. 40-1 on the Stars (30 bucks). 28-1 on the Flames (20 bucks). Good luck to me....

OTM Al
08-10-2015, 04:08 PM
To quote the crowd...YESYESYES!!!!!!

Stillriledup
08-10-2015, 05:15 PM

Ducks v Isles in the finals.

Buckle up!! :ThmbUp:

Ziggy
08-10-2015, 06:45 PM
My money is on the LA KINGS !!!!!☝🏼😃😃😃 8/1 GKG

Greyfox
08-16-2015, 11:37 AM
The Chicago Blackhawks management and fans must be beside themselves with respect to the rape allegations against Patrick Kane.
Chicago has invested a lot of money in this very talented player - 8 years for 84 million bucks.
http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/chicago-blackhawks/patrick-kane/

If Kane is innocent, then he has to live with a hell of a smear.
If Kane is guilty, there will be a hell of a backlash from female fans.
I think that his career in the NHL would be ruined as no city would want him.

Kane has been in different scrapes before.
You'd think that he would have learned to avoid situations that could threaten his career.
Any way you carve it, he's in a hell of a mess.

woodtoo
08-16-2015, 11:57 AM
And to think we thought we got rid of the bad Kane in Winnipeg :D
Hes in deep deep doo doo.

If hes guilty his career is as good as over.

Greyfox
08-16-2015, 11:59 AM

Yes he is.
I should have mentioned though that, to date No Charges Have Been Laid.

KPMats10
08-17-2015, 02:46 PM

Isles should be taking a big step forward this season if their young group can put last year's game 7 behind them. Definite division title contenders. Hopefully break the 22 year dry spell and see the second round of the playoffs for the first time in too long.

Greyfox
08-27-2015, 08:11 PM
Learning CORSI in less than two minutes.

PIMbOkpQe_0

Greyfox
08-28-2015, 11:18 AM
In late June, the Los Angeles Kings terminated Mike Richards for "breach of contract."
Now we know why.
The R.C.M.P. have formally charged Richards with transporting oxycontin (oxycodone)across the border. The actual charge is Possession of a Controlled Substance.
Richards is a good hockey player, but for some reason Darryl Sutter didn't have much use for him. The Kings had been trying to trade Richards.

Story at: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/mike-richards-nhl-free-agent-charged-for-oxycodone-possession-at-border-1.3205598

Stillriledup
08-28-2015, 11:47 AM

If hes guilty his career is as good as over.

Is there a precedent in the NHL of players who are 100 pct innocent being singled out as rapists? This is a pretty strong allegation from whoever is making it, has Kane acted like a man wrongly accused?

Greyfox
08-28-2015, 03:20 PM
Al Arbour , great coach, is dead.
R.I.P. Al.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/al-arbour-legendary-islanders-coach-dies-at-82-1.3207476

OTM Al
09-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Isles just traded Toronto Michael Grabner for 5 prospects. Think it is good for NY as Grabner just hasn't stayed healthy. Anyone have an opinion on the prospects or was this just a salary move?

MutuelClerk
09-18-2015, 07:59 AM
Al, Grabner isn't exactly McDavid so the prospects aren't that great. Of the five I think Finn has the best chance to make it. Basically I see it as a salary move. A lot of these vets wont finish the season with the Leafs. They'll trade most of them before the deadline for second( hopefully), third, fourth, rounders etc depending on the season the player is having. Hoping Grabner finally stays healthy. He's not bad.

OTM Al
09-18-2015, 08:31 AM
Al, Grabner isn't exactly McDavid so the prospects aren't that great. Of the five I think Finn has the best chance to make it. Basically I see it as a salary move. A lot of these vets wont finish the season with the Leafs. They'll trade most of them before the deadline for second( hopefully), third, fourth, rounders etc depending on the season the player is having. Hoping Grabner finally stays healthy. He's not bad.
That's kind of what I thought too but I'm no where as near knowing as others here. Beck did get basically a full season with a very good team last year, so he could give depth and Verhaeghe is young and could develop, but don't see the other two ever wearing the jersey. Guess the real question is, is this the precursor to another big move or financial planning for the resigning of Okposo.

MutuelClerk
09-19-2015, 10:02 AM
Verhaeghe could develop. However the Leafs have drafted plenty of guys like him who just never seem to pan out. I saw Finn a few times in the OHL ( Guelph I think) he's solid. Pretty consistent player. Those guys usually pan out into a 4-5-6 kind of defensemen. Okposo I like a lot. For your sake I hope they re-sign him.

OTM Al
09-19-2015, 02:59 PM
Verhaeghe could develop. However the Leafs have drafted plenty of guys like him who just never seem to pan out. I saw Finn a few times in the OHL ( Guelph I think) he's solid. Pretty consistent player. Those guys usually pan out into a 4-5-6 kind of defensemen. Okposo I like a lot. For your sake I hope they re-sign him.
I sure wouldn't mind having another solid d'man. Isles top 3 are good, but after that it gets a little shaky. My main concern is in the net this year. Halak is good, but certainly not great, in net, but he makes poor plays when moving out to play the puck. I wish they had that young guy that the Devils have. Isles would be set for a long time to come.

Greyfox
09-22-2015, 10:05 AM
Due to cap space problems, there are some pretty good unsigned players looking for jobs around the league.
In fact, there are 62 players with previous NHL experience on Personal Tryouts at different teams.
For instance, Curtis Glencross is trying out with the Maple Leafs.
I think that he'll have a good chance of making that squad.

This morning I became aware of a site entitled generalfanager that lists the contract status of every player in the league.
If you want to know the status of any player on any team, visit the site and click on the team logo.
The site is at the following link:

http://www.generalfanager.com/

Tor Ekman
09-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Torts as HC of 2016 USA world cup squad should be entertaining

Greyfox
09-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Tortorelli? Not my cup of tea.

Jaromir Jagr - a model named Katherine from Moravia tried to extort $2,000 from him after she took a "selfie" of herself and Jagr in bed while he was sleeping.
Being single, he more or less told her to go to hell.
Katherine though was supposedly dating another Czech player.
The photo is at:
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jaromir-jagr-blackmailed-with-scandalous-model-selfie--doesn-t-care--report-172338281.html

Greyfox
09-22-2015, 07:31 PM
Interesting video interview of Lou Lamoriello and why he came to Toronto is at:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/lamoriello-passionate-about-maple-leafs-project~709631

ldiatone
09-23-2015, 11:33 AM
it was only the 2nd pre-season game, but what i watched! crosby-kessel-kunnie on the same line! nice passes by kessel to crosb for 2 break aways and one by crosb to kessel even though he hit the post. the man still had 2 goals and the #1 star for the game. so can kessel elevate the pens... i think yes! and those moves and trades the GM made in the off season will also help. plus a healthy Matta and Dupuis

OTM Al
09-24-2015, 01:53 PM

They played the goaltender they got in this trade last night for the final period and the simulated overtime. Besides the fact that I was loving being able to watch a game again, even though it was preseason, I was a little impressed with the player. Only gave up one goal in the 3 on 3 and showed really nice mobility and quickness. Know it wasn't regular season but NJ stinks so bad right now all their players were going strong just to try to make the team. Certainly won't make the roster but expect him to be on the AHL team and could possibly get an emergency call up. Looks to have much more upside than Poulin who will be the main goalie on the AHL team.

OTM Al
10-07-2015, 02:12 PM
And so it begins. Wasn't going to go but the wife bought me a ticket to see opening night for the Isles at Barclay Center on Friday. Tough way to start the season with a back to back with the defending champs who also already will have got their first game in tonight. Guess if you want to be the man you gotta beat the man...

woodtoo
10-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Tortorelli? Not my cup of tea.

Jaromir Jagr - a model named Katherine from Moravia tried to extort $2,000 from him after she took a "selfie" of herself and Jagr in bed while he was sleeping.
Being single, he more or less told her to go to hell.
Katherine though was supposedly dating another Czech player.
The photo is at:
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/jaromir-jagr-blackmailed-with-scandalous-model-selfie--doesn-t-care--report-172338281.html
Hadn't heard this. :lol:

Stillriledup
10-10-2015, 07:15 PM
2015-16 cup champs play their first game tonight.

;)

MutuelClerk
10-10-2015, 07:25 PM
Texas Rangers? :)

Stillriledup
10-10-2015, 07:35 PM
Texas Rangers? :)

You got me. :D

cmp92
10-10-2015, 10:11 PM
Sabers already in trouble. Lehner could be out long-term with a lower body injury. My expectations aren't very high, but I was looking forward to seeing slightly more entertaining hockey this year.

On the other hand, the Panthers are a team that intrigues me. Lots of youth on the team. They've been knocking on the door to make it to the playoffs, I'm pulling for them to get in, unless the Sabres are trying to sneak in. 7-1 romp against the Flyers, even though the Flyers outshot them.

headhawg
10-10-2015, 11:37 PM

;)Don't you mean the 2015-16 Presidents' Trophy winners?

OTM Al
10-13-2015, 02:35 PM
I'm really starting to feel bad for Leafs fans. To add insult to injury, ESPN did a ranking of all of the teams in the 4 major leagues across 25 metrics with over 100K responses to the survey. The Leafs ranked 122 of 122, just below the New York Knicks. Not sure which of those two things is worse.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/13848194/from-san-antonio-spurs-toronto-maple-leafs-all-122-pro-sports-franchises-ranked

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13848418/toronto-maple-leafs-last-place-ultimate-standings-again

Stillriledup
10-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Don't you mean the 2015-16 Presidents' Trophy winners?

I don't know if they'll win Pres trophy or not so no, cup winners is fine. ;)

MutuelClerk
10-15-2015, 07:12 PM
SRU your team seems frustrated. Kesler is using the butt end of the stick to hit people in the face. Losing him won't help their slow start.

dlivery
10-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Well we can throw out the Leafs
The Leafs will more likely end up in last place

Looks as if the only star on the Leafs would be the Coach and what a waste of money

Only the impossible can happen :bang:

MutuelClerk
10-15-2015, 08:33 PM
I think last place and hopefully the first pick is the desired result this season. They'll trade away as much as they can at the deadline getting a bunch of 3rd and 4th round picks and hopefully use them as bargaining chips in the years draft. Auston Matthews please.....

OTM Al
10-27-2015, 11:13 AM
Two pre-season predictions looking bad so far. Columbus is dead and Calgary has a lot of work to do. Saw Flames at the Isles last night and they got smoked. Yes, backup goalie and second of a back to back, but not a good start by any means and just looked sloppy. Dallas OTOH is living up to the projections and got to say other than a completely flat performance Friday against Boston, my Isle are off to a very strong start. Looks like Montreal has finally learned to score for Price, so they are looming large early on. And then sadly there are the Leafs...again. Sorry Torontons. You deserve better.

Greyfox
10-27-2015, 12:55 PM
And then sadly there are the Leafs...again. Sorry Torontons. You deserve better.

The Maple Leafs are not expected to do much this year.
Mike Babcock knew that when he took the job.
From what Mike Babcock has to work with, they are already an improved team (eg. face off percentage) even if it lacks natural taent.
I think that they are at the start of a five year rebuilding project.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds when Steven Stamkos becomes available next spring.
Toronto could very well be in his horizon sights.

OTM Al
10-27-2015, 01:12 PM
The Maple Leafs are not expected to do much this year.
Mike Babcock knew that when he took the job.
From what Mike Babcock has to work with, they are already an improved team (eg. face off percentage) even if it lacks natural taent.
I think that they are at the start of a five year rebuilding project.
It will be interesting to see what unfolds when Steven Stamkos becomes available next spring.
Toronto could very well be in his horizon sights.
You'd think there would be some who really would love to be there on a regular basis. Look at the thrill of Domi's kid playing there as a visitor was for him and his family. So many kids from the area.

Greyfox
10-27-2015, 01:24 PM
You'd think there would be some who really would love to be there on a regular basis. Look at the thrill of Domi's kid playing there as a visitor was for him and his family. So many kids from the area.

I agree.
I would think that most NHL players would never put Toronto on a list of cities that they didn't want to be traded to.
Also, most NHL players respect Babcock and would want to play for him.
Toronto should be able to engineer some interesting trades in the next year.

MutuelClerk
10-28-2015, 09:56 PM

;)

Champs?? Presidents Trophy?? At this rate the Ducks will be lucky to make the playoffs. History may repeat itself with the Ducks and Randy Carlyle could return. How do you feel about that SRU??

Stillriledup
10-29-2015, 12:51 AM
Champs?? Presidents Trophy?? At this rate the Ducks will be lucky to make the playoffs. History may repeat itself with the Ducks and Randy Carlyle could return. How do you feel about that SRU??

Just one of those slow starting seasons, I'm pretty sure though that if the ducks sneak in as the final seed, you probably won't want to be the team playing them in the first round.

They outplayed Chi the other night and lost the 3 on 3 coin flip OT nonsense, so I'm not too concerned.

Greyfox
10-29-2015, 09:24 AM
History may repeat itself with the Ducks and Randy Carlyle could return.

I find it difficult to believe that Randy Carlyle will ever be hired again by any NHL team in the capacity of Head Coach.
But I've been wrong before.
Wonders never cease in the hockey world.
John Tortorella has just been picked up by Columbus and given a 3 year deal.
I thought he was terrible.

woodtoo
10-29-2015, 11:33 AM
I find it difficult to believe that Randy Carlyle will ever be hired again by any NHL team in the capacity of Head Coach.
I'd take Randy over Torts any day of the week, shows what I know. :confused:
Jets over Hawks tonite, They looked pretty good in lose to the Kings Tuesday.

Stillriledup
10-29-2015, 02:27 PM

What's wrong with Randy as a coach? Didnt he win the Cup in 2007? Do you think the game has passed him by? Are you basing your opinion of him because he couldn't get a horrible organization over the hump most recently?

Greyfox
10-29-2015, 05:43 PM
What's wrong with Randy as a coach? Didnt he win the Cup in 2007? Do you think the game has passed him by? Are you basing your opinion of him because he couldn't get a horrible organization over the hump most recently?

To your last 3 questions the answer is "Yes!"

woodtoo
10-29-2015, 07:43 PM
Starring for Winnipeg Jets in game 10, the incomparable ESP line.

the secret is out. :faint:

woodtoo
10-30-2015, 06:20 PM
Starring for Winnipeg Jets in game 10, the incomparable ESP line.

the secret is out. :faint:
Rookie Ehlers and line mates Scheifele and Perreault had 1 point each in helping dispatch last years champion Blackhawks!

OTM Al
10-31-2015, 01:08 PM
Isles just traded Toronto Michael Grabner for 5 prospects. Think it is good for NY as Grabner just hasn't stayed healthy. Anyone have an opinion on the prospects or was this just a salary move?
Beck gets the emergency call up today with Tavares evidently ill. Can sympathize as I've been sick the last couple days too.

ldiatone
10-31-2015, 01:54 PM
yo! ready! Kessel back at the Air Canada Centre! pens vrs Leafs! OBTW eric fehr starts tonite for the pens.

ldiatone
11-01-2015, 11:20 AM
yo! ready! Kessel back at the Air Canada Centre! pens vrs Leafs! OBTW eric fehr starts tonite for the pens.
no goals for are kessel, but a win for the pens. fehr 1st game in a pens uniform gets a short handed goal....
now whats this i listened to on the broadcast that lou lamorello has a rule no beards by the players and one player used white skates and is no longer allowed?

OTM Al
11-01-2015, 11:34 AM
no goals for are kessel, but a win for the pens. fehr 1st game in a pens uniform gets a short handed goal....
now whats this i listened to on the broadcast that lou lamorello has a rule no beards by the players and one player used white skates and is no longer allowed?
Sounds like trying to get them to think like a team rather than a bunch of players. Saw a documentary on the Russian 5 the other day and one thing that was brought out was how individualistic they thought NHL players were. It becomes an amazing game to watch when the players function together.

MutuelClerk
11-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Herb Brooks thought that too.

cmp92
11-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Sabers are first in the league in average shots per game (about 33). They were last in that category a year ago. Still very early in the season, but quite a turnaround through the first 12 games.

ldiatone
11-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Sabers are first in the league in average shots per game (about 33). They were last in that category a year ago. Still very early in the season, but quite a turnaround through the first 12 games.
53 or so vrs the pens the other nite :eek:

OTM Al
11-02-2015, 07:17 AM
They got a well earned win last night at the expense of my Isles. Isles just couldn't get the put away goal to go in.

MutuelClerk
11-02-2015, 08:49 AM
There's really a lot of great young talent in the NHL. As great as McDavid has been I hope Eichel gets his fair share of recognition this season.

OTM Al
11-02-2015, 09:04 AM
There's really a lot of great young talent in the NHL. As great as McDavid has been I hope Eichel gets his fair share of recognition this season.
Isles broadcasters said they liked Eichel a little better because of his ability already to play both ways but acknowledge both as great talents.

Greyfox
11-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Isles broadcasters said they liked Eichel a little better because of his ability already to play both ways but acknowledge both as great talents.

Those broadcasters haven't seen McDavid of late.
He often plays on the penalty kill and does a great job of checking.
McDavid is every bit as good as advertised.

OTM Al
11-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Those broadcasters haven't seen McDavid of late.
He often plays on the penalty kill and does a great job of checking.
McDavid is every bit as good as advertised.
They have seen him. We're talking shades of great here. They are just impressed with how maturely Eichel is playing. McDavid is acknowledged as just as good as advertised.

chenoa
11-02-2015, 09:19 AM
They have seen him. We're talking shades of great here. They are just impressed with how maturely Eichel is playing. McDavid is acknowledged as just as good as advertised.

Agreed, it is just too bad the Oilers continue to make the same mistakes that they have been making for the last 5 seasons. :lol: :lol:

MutuelClerk
11-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Why is McDavid killing penalties? The last thing you want is him blocking a shot and missing a portion of the season.

Greyfox
11-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Why is McDavid killing penalties? The last thing you want is him blocking a shot and missing a portion of the season.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that he kills penalties on a regular basis.
What I'm saying is that when he's been out on the penalty kill, he's been a very effective checker.

Greyfox
11-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Agreed, it is just too bad the Oilers continue to make the same mistakes that they have been making for the last 5 seasons. :lol: :lol:

1. The Oilers are still learning to play under Todd McLellan's systems and it is natural some mistakes will be made.

2. The third and fourth lines and a couple of veteran defencemen have been struggling.

3. The Oilers are improving and while they are not expected to make the playoffs this year, they might surprise even the best squads along the way.

OTM Al
11-02-2015, 01:40 PM
So I guess this makes the question of the day then, who gets back to the playoffs first, Edmonton or Toronto and why? I can't even answer this one with confidence as percentage wise more teams make it in the west, but it is tougher top to bottom. Toronto has some good people in place, but there has been so much disappointment. I think I might edge toward Edmonton, but not by much.

MutuelClerk
11-04-2015, 07:38 AM
McDavid hurt on PK. Grrrrrrr. Another number one pick for the Oilers???

Greyfox
11-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Todd McLellan - "He has an upper body injury that's going to keep him out long term...."I'm sure it's his shoulder or collar bone...He was sliding on his ass on the way in and you could tell he could not protect himself."

We're talking here about Connor McDavid of course.
He was October's rookie of the month with 12 points in 12 games.
It's a tough blow for the Oilers.
They still went on to beat the Flyers 4 - 2.

Greyfox
11-04-2015, 01:25 PM
The injury.

Connor McDavid has to have surgery for a broken clavicle.
Depending on the extent of the damage, it is expected that he will be out from 6 to 12 weeks.

MutuelClerk
11-04-2015, 07:43 PM
I'm going to guess that Don Cherry will go off on Coaches corner Saturday about McDavid killing a penalty. Too bad, great player off to a great start. Brings a lot of other players in for the Calder now.

cmp92
11-04-2015, 10:31 PM
They got a well earned win last night at the expense of my Isles. Isles just couldn't get the put away goal to go in.
I was surprised the Sabres pulled out a win. Playing on the road and having 3 games in 4 nights. They definitely looked flat, but buried on the few chances they had. Ullmark played solid between the pipes.

MutuelClerk
11-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Great goal by Eichel tonight. His hands are special.

ldiatone
11-05-2015, 09:21 PM
Pens win in VAN. 3-2 whats interesting to note here is eric fehr has back to back short handed goals. kessel hit the post so hard with a shot it hit the post and bounced all the way to the Pens bench!

cmp92
11-05-2015, 10:10 PM
Great goal by Eichel tonight. His hands are special.
He's got a special shot too. It'll be interesting to see now that the spotlight will solely be on him with McDavid out for a while. From what I've read in our local media, the first Eichel-McDavid battle was early December in Edmonton. Postponed until March here in Buffalo.

OTM Al
11-06-2015, 09:06 AM
I think Montreal has learned how to score. Finally was able to watch a full game with them last night. Isles played them tough fro 2 1/2 periods but Montreal seemed more in control the whole way. The team play is excellent on all lines and their defense so limited shots that missing Price didn't matter that much. They will be a very tough out if they can keep it together.

cmp92
11-07-2015, 02:44 PM
Ryan Miller makes his return to Buffalo today. Sabres had a nice tribute to him before the game, plus an ovation. He was a great guy in the community and ranks next to Hasek as the best goalie in franchise history. He carried some of those teams he played on.

OTM Al
11-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Beck in the lineup tonight. Team's been a little flat of late so bit of a shakeup including a demotion of Strome to the AHL team. No messing around right now.

cmp92
11-11-2015, 11:01 PM
Metro Division
1. Rangers: 11-2-2
2. Capitals: 10-4-0
3. Penguins: 10-5-0

All three on big runs in their last 10 games. Tight call between them and the top 3 in the Central.

headhawg
11-28-2015, 11:41 PM
Just one of those slow starting seasons, I'm pretty sure though that if the ducks sneak in as the final seed, you probably won't want to be the team playing them in the first round.

They outplayed Chi the other night and lost the 3 on 3 coin flip OT nonsense, so I'm not too concerned.Seems to be a pattern with your Ducks.

Stillriledup
11-28-2015, 11:56 PM
Seems to be a pattern with your Ducks.

I wish I could bet 'in game' stuff I knew they had 'no chance' with 5 mins left in game while nursing a 2-0 lead.

Seems like Boudreau has lost the team, be interesting if they make a change to the Walrus (who seems to be the coach during the time outs)

Stillriledup
12-04-2015, 01:39 PM
For guys betting on hockey, and this is not an official pick, but Anaheim might have played their best game of the season in defeat to Tampa the other night, Max effort from most guys and very unlucky to lose, the flow was much better, spacing was better, the power play looked sharp, and they played with passion.

MutuelClerk
12-07-2015, 12:37 AM
To Brandon Prust on behalf of most hockey fans. Thank you.

Greyfox
12-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Good News for Hoofed in the chest and other Maple Leaf fans

"Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Mitchell Marner is starting to look NHL-ready. The 18-year-old is on an unbelievable scoring run with the London Knights, recording 11 points over three games this past weekend and 45 points in his past 15 games to shoot to the top of the Ontario Hockey League scoring race."

More at: http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/maple-leafs-prospect-posts-unbelievable-numbers-in-last-15-games/ar-AAg7Ggw?ocid=spartandhp

Stillriledup
12-07-2015, 07:21 PM
For guys betting on hockey, and this is not an official pick, but Anaheim might have played their best game of the season in defeat to Tampa the other night, Max effort from most guys and very unlucky to lose, the flow was much better, spacing was better, the power play looked sharp, and they played with passion.

Ducks 2 straight after I posted this vs two quality opponents,

Ya welcome ;)

OTM Al
12-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Isles played the worst game of this season or recent memory for that matter and won last night in a shootout. Out skated and out shot 46-26 but Halak managed to only let 3 get past. 6-0-2 in the last 8 so finally getting on a roll and the rest of the December schedule is fairly weak. Not sure anyone will catch Washington though unless they suffer major injuries. Prediction that either Rangers or Pittsburgh does not make the playoffs beginning to look pretty good as Pittsburgh seems to be having problems again and just have a feeling Rangers will tail off, though likely still get in, as season progresses. Very well could see only 3 Metro teams make the playoffs.

ldiatone
12-12-2015, 12:21 PM
Mike Sullivan Named Head Coach of Pittsburgh Penguins. Pens fire M.Johnston.
Agnew Relieved of Coaching Duties.
i am surprised! does this mean the players rule!

OTM Al
12-12-2015, 01:06 PM
Mike Sullivan Named Head Coach of Pittsburgh Penguins. Pens fire M.Johnston.
Agnew Relieved of Coaching Duties.
i am surprised! does this mean the players rule!
Just saw this too. Sounds like a bad situation. Wonder if Kessel had much to do with it beyond the expectations.

ldiatone
12-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Just saw this too. Sounds like a bad situation. Wonder if Kessel had much to do with it beyond the expectations.
ya know i have watched kessel this year and has not disappointed. his play has been pretty good on a line with Malkin and on the power play.yes he has missed the net, but so has sid, tang and malkin. IF any one had to do with this i would think sid geno and tang had imput. one thing, GM and Johnston had a dispute about the rookie sprong's ice time and games. GM wanted to see him get more ice time.

OTM Al
12-12-2015, 04:16 PM
ya know i have watched kessel this year and has not disappointed. his play has been pretty good on a line with Malkin and on the power play.yes he has missed the net, but so has sid, tang and malkin. IF any one had to do with this i would think sid geno and tang had imput. one thing, GM and Johnston had a dispute about the rookie sprong's ice time and games. GM wanted to see him get more ice time.
Interesting. That team is still going to struggle this year, so playing a rookie more might not be the best idea but maybe it will work. Hornqvist is the guy I like to watch on that team. A couple less me oriented guys and a couple more like him I'd be worried. Crosby does enough me time for the whole team.

mikesal57
12-13-2015, 10:35 AM
Isles played the worst game of this season or recent memory for that matter and won last night in a shootout. Out skated and out shot 46-26 but Halak managed to only let 3 get past. 6-0-2 in the last 8 so finally getting on a roll and the rest of the December schedule is fairly weak. Not sure anyone will catch Washington though unless they suffer major injuries. Prediction that either Rangers or Pittsburgh does not make the playoffs beginning to look pretty good as Pittsburgh seems to be having problems again and just have a feeling Rangers will tail off, though likely still get in, as season progresses. Very well could see only 3 Metro teams make the playoffs.

Being a Ranger fan , its getting hard to watch them anymore...
Over the last few years they've been losing one or two key players and getting nothing in return....I've never seen this happen in this 10 year run with Lundqvist in the net....He can do just so much but the team is falling apart on offense and defense....
Glen Sather was a genius but now the new GM has a lot to prove ...So far its hurting

Mike

OTM Al
12-13-2015, 11:55 AM
Being a Ranger fan , its getting hard to watch them anymore...
Over the last few years they've been losing one or two key players and getting nothing in return....I've never seen this happen in this 10 year run with Lundqvist in the net....He can do just so much but the team is falling apart on offense and defense....
Glen Sather was a genius but now the new GM has a lot to prove ...So far its hurting

Mike
They are slumping, which happens to everyone. Long way to go and things can change, but think they need to do something to shake things up. Not sure what but Isles looked bad early on so they demoted Strome. Message served. Think they have at least a point in every game since he came back. Believe it or not, I want the Rangers to be good. It's been so long since both were good and it makes the games they play so much more fun.

MutuelClerk
12-26-2015, 09:36 PM
Anyone watching the WJC? USA! USA!! USA!!! Kinda sucks we had to play Canada in the first game. It's usually played on NY's Eve. I'm sure we'll meet again and obviously winning the second game is much more important than winning this one. Good start though. Killing a five minute major and coming from behind hopefully bodes well for the Americans.

cj
12-26-2015, 11:50 PM
Metro Division
1. Rangers: 11-2-2
2. Capitals: 10-4-0
3. Penguins: 10-5-0

All three on big runs in their last 10 games. Tight call between them and the top 3 in the Central.

Caps remain en fuego.

MutuelClerk
12-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Played a 4.00 NHL entry in Draft Kings yesterday. Over 22,000 entries. finished in fifth place. Won a 1000.00 HOHOHO.

MutuelClerk
01-03-2016, 12:01 AM
WJC final four. Sweden vs the host Finland. Great hockey rivalry. USA vs Russia another great rivalry. Where's Canada? haha. Actually Canada has a lot of guys playing in the NHL instead of the WJC but I like to get my shots in while I can. This tournament is better than the Olympics and it's played every year instead of every four. The passion of these young, talented kids is freaking great!!!! The final four is live from Finland on NHL Network for the Americans reading this. The Canadians already know how great this tourney is. I believe it starts at 9am Monday morning. If you having nothing to do and wanna see passionate talented hockey. Check it out. GO USA USA USA!!!!

Greyfox
03-01-2016, 04:28 PM
Like A Stanley Cup Game?

Two losing teams are playing tonight.
The Edmonton Oilers are in Buffalo to play the Sabres.
Today's pre-game Press conference was attended by over 100 media types.
Why?
Connor McDavid, draft pick #1 is facing Jack Eichel , draft pick #2.
The game will be sold out. The eastern media is going nuts for this contest.
Neither of these teams will make the playoffs, but the media, including ESPN, is hyping this game as if it's a Stanley
Cup final.

OTM Al
03-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Like A Stanley Cup Game?

Two losing teams are playing tonight.
The Edmonton Oilers are in Buffalo to play the Sabres.
Today's pre-game Press conference was attended by over 100 media types.
Why?
Connor McDavid, draft pick #1 is facing Jack Eichel , draft pick #2.
The game will be sold out. The eastern media is going nuts for this contest.
Neither of these teams will make the playoffs, but the media, including ESPN, is hyping this game as if it's a Stanley
Cup final.

Why is that bad? If it is on where I'm at, I'll watch it. They are both excellent players for their age.

Greyfox
03-01-2016, 04:34 PM
Why is that bad? If it is on where I'm at, I'll watch it. They are both excellent players for their age.

I didn't mean to imply it was bad.
It's just an amazing phenomenon that the media goes bananas for what really is just another game between two losing teams.

OTM Al
03-01-2016, 04:41 PM
I didn't mean to imply it was bad.
It's just an amazing phenomenon that the media goes bananas for what really is just another game between two losing teams.
But it's not. It isn't like it's Toronto vs Arizona or something like that. This is the first meeting of two guys who are expected to be major stars in the NHL for years to come. Of course their teams are bad right now. You don't get the top picks if you are any good as a team.

HoofedInTheChest
03-01-2016, 05:34 PM
Well we can throw out the Leafs
The Leafs will more likely end up in last place

Looks as if the only star on the Leafs would be the Coach and what a waste of money

Only the impossible can happen :bang:
Care to expand on why you think he is a waste of money?

Greyfox
03-01-2016, 10:38 PM
This is the first meeting of two guys who are expected to be major stars in the NHL for years to come.

Wow!
They both came as advertised.
Jack Eichel was the best player for Buffalo.
Connor McDavid? Was....McDavid. He scored 22 seconds into the game and then scored the winner in Overtime.
Wow!
Final Score: Edmonton 2 Buffalo 1.

Stillriledup
03-03-2016, 03:57 PM

Congrats on 1000 posts.

I'm hoping Anaheim could sneak into the playoffs, it's going to be a stretch but hey, one can dream.

WkuyTX_KbGY

azeri98
03-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Wow!
They both came as advertised.
Jack Eichel was the best player for Buffalo.
Connor McDavid? Was....McDavid. He scored 22 seconds into the game and then scored the winner in Overtime.
Wow!
Final Score: Edmonton 2 Buffalo 1.
Mcdavid will be the best player in the league within 2 years.

azeri98
03-03-2016, 07:34 PM
Congrats on 1000 posts.

I'm hoping Anaheim could sneak into the playoffs, it's going to be a stretch but hey, one can dream.

WkuyTX_KbGY
What are you talking about they are tied with the Kings for the division lead, they will get in for sure, probably win the division.

MutuelClerk
03-04-2016, 08:49 AM
The Ducks have really bounced back. They had a tough East Coast trip with snowed out games. They've been very resilient after a slow start. I have to admit I wrote them off. The stretch run to the playoffs is on. Should be good as always....

HoofedInTheChest
03-04-2016, 10:54 AM
What are you talking about they are tied with the Kings for the division lead, they will get in for sure, probably win the division.
..... and then proceed to lose game 7 in the playoffs.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/boudreau.gif

Stillriledup
03-04-2016, 12:30 PM

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/boudreau.gif

That's pretty funny coming from a guy with a maple leaves avatar

HoofedInTheChest
03-04-2016, 02:48 PM
That's pretty funny coming from a guy with a maple leaves avatar
Yes, we sure know how to pick em.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PaUoRXuCshU/UV4ckBjTnLI/AAAAAAAAAOA/ZY1loR01-ZY/s1600/bruce+boudreau.jpg

Stillriledup
03-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes, we sure know how to pick em.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PaUoRXuCshU/UV4ckBjTnLI/AAAAAAAAAOA/ZY1loR01-ZY/s1600/bruce+boudreau.jpg

I'm sure that's a time in history Bruce would love to forget.

MutuelClerk
03-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Hoofed, welcome back. Great pic of Bruce. The Leafs have done well dumping those contracts. Now, unlike the Oilers we need to draft well. I really hope Auston Matthews is in our future.

azeri98
03-04-2016, 09:03 PM

Which round?

HoofedInTheChest
03-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Hoofed, welcome back. Great pic of Bruce. The Leafs have done well dumping those contracts. Now, unlike the Oilers we need to draft well. I really hope Auston Matthews is in our future.
The top 3 picks are bluechip selections, and i would be fine with any of them, but yes we really need a big body centreman and Mathews fits the bill. So help me if we get hosed again and pick 4th....

The Reiminister starts for San Jose tonight, and i really hope things work out for him in SJ. He really never had a fair shake in the big smoke with all the lousy lineups in front of him, loved his compete level.

HoofedInTheChest
03-05-2016, 02:50 PM
Which round?
Looking for a prop bet? lol

Without seeing the match-ups i can't really say.

MutuelClerk
03-07-2016, 12:55 AM
Since McDavid has returned he has 22 pts. No one else even has 20. Even with his injury he has to be considered for the Calder Trophy. This kid is special. There have been many excellent rookies this year but if McDavid stays at this pace he gets my vote.

Greyfox
03-07-2016, 01:59 AM
Since McDavid has returned he has 22 pts. No one else even has 20. Even with his injury he has to be considered for the Calder Trophy. This kid is special. There have been many excellent rookies this year but if McDavid stays at this pace he gets my vote.

Even if McDavid doesn't get the Calder, I can assure you it is hard to take your eyes off him every time he's on the ice.
He comes as advertised.

MutuelClerk
03-07-2016, 07:33 AM
Agree Greyfox. Saw him five times as a junior. He is the real deal.

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Connor McDavid

- Has the brain of Gretzky
- The skating of Bure
- The Hands of Lemieux
- Ability to make difficult plays at a very high rate of speed
- Is the only rookie that averages over a point a game in his rookie season
- Patrick Kane is the only player in the NHL with a higher PPG than McDavid
- Has the highest Relative Fenwick of all rookies, and towers over his own team’s Av/Fen
- Wears the wrong freakin uniform

OTM Al
03-07-2016, 11:37 AM
Connor McDavid

- Has the brain of Gretzky
- The skating of Bure
- The Hands of Lemieux
- Ability to make difficult plays at a very high rate of speed
- Is the only rookie that averages over a point a game in his rookie season
- Patrick Kane is the only player in the NHL with a higher PPG than McDavid
- Has the highest Relative Fenwick of all rookies, and towers over his own team’s Av/Fen
- Wears the wrong freakin uniform
And hopefully he won't have the injury bug. Small samples on both though.

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2016, 12:01 PM
And hopefully he won't have the injury bug. Small samples on both though.
I kind of agree about the small sample size, but i would be willing to wager that his numbers get even better over time, even on a sh*thole team like Edmonton. This kid is doing the unthinkable on a really lousy team, that's the difference in my opinion.

Panarin has the luxury of Patrick Kane on his line, as well as playing on a team loaded for bear, not to mention he's 5 years older than McDavid.

Larkin is a hell of a player, but not in the same league as McDavid.

OTM Al
03-07-2016, 12:22 PM
I kind of agree about the small sample size, but i would be willing to wager that his numbers get even better over time, even on a sh*thole team like Edmonton. This kid is doing the unthinkable on a really lousy team, that's the difference in my opinion.

Panarin has the luxury of Patrick Kane on his line, as well as playing on a team loaded for bear, not to mention he's 5 years older than McDavid.

Larkin is a hell of a player, but not in the same league as McDavid.

He certainly has the talent. He's on a team now where it's all him all the time right now. Eventually they have to get better (you'd think) and he will be playing with better players. All looks good now, but we'll see what happens when there are other real options on the team. Some guys have problems like that. Small sample I was talking about had more to do with injury in my book than skills though. At this point I'd sure rather have him on my team than not though. Can't wait til they get in their new arena though as that cameras on the "wrong" side of the ice always throws me off.

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Small sample I was talking about had more to do with injury
McDavid was railroaded in Philly, there was definitely intent to injure on that play. The one factor you have to look at is his pace of play, when he drives to the net in full flight, on a consistent basis, he unfortunately leaves himself vulnerable. It's only a matter of time before a defenseman gets tired of being hung out to dry and goes after his feet while he is in full flight, that's one obstacle McDavid needs to overcome.

OTM Al
03-07-2016, 12:51 PM
McDavid was railroaded in Philly, there was definitely intent to injure on that play. The one factor you have to look at is his pace of play, when he drives to the net in full flight, on a consistent basis, he unfortunately leaves himself vulnerable. It's only a matter of time before a defenseman gets tired of being hung out to dry and goes after his feet while he is in full flight, that's one obstacle McDavid needs to overcome.
Exactly. Or he loses an edge through no one's fault and winds up hard in the boards, net or other player. That playing with no fear thing has to be measured with control and team play or he will get himself hurt on his own. Kinda why despite his skills I still like Eichel a little better right now as he is playing both ways and as part of a team rather than as a star. He may never have the gaudy numbers, but something tells me he may have a lot more team success before all is said and done. Of course I've been completely wrong before....

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2016, 01:03 PM
Exactly. Or he loses an edge through no one's fault and winds up hard in the boards, net or other player. That playing with no fear thing has to be measured with control and team play or he will get himself hurt on his own. Kinda why despite his skills I still like Eichel a little better right now as he is playing both ways and as part of a team rather than as a star. He may never have the gaudy numbers, but something tells me he may have a lot more team success before all is said and done. Of course I've been completely wrong before....
Buffalo? Success? Seriously? lol

I don't see either team having any success for a very long time.

Have a good day Al. :ThmbUp:

RXB
03-07-2016, 01:45 PM
Eichel has genuine Hall Of Fame potential yet McDavid is on a different level. The most gifted offensive player to come along in the past decade and from what I've seen so far he also seems a bit better in his own zone than Eichel. And I've never heard anyone describe McDavid as anything but a team player.

There's no comparison in terms of points per 60 minutes, production at even strength, possession stats, almost any measure. The eye test and the stats tell me the same thing: McDavid is clearly better.

MutuelClerk
03-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Eichel is outstanding. Worthy of consideration for sure. The one rookie not mentioned so far is the Ghost on the Flyers. Excellent d-man. As far as McDavid's injury goes, I agree there might have been some intent to injure. Weren't the Oilers on a PK at the time? Why the hell was he even on the ice?

MutuelClerk
03-07-2016, 02:59 PM
The first match-up of McDavid vs Eichel as pros was really sweet. How the game ended in OT, each on a rush. Eichel just missing then McDavid taking the puck and scoring the game winner. Really good stuff.

OTM Al
03-07-2016, 03:03 PM
Buffalo? Success? Seriously? lol

I don't see either team having any success for a very long time.

Have a good day Al. :ThmbUp:

Who said it would be with Buffalo :)

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2016, 04:30 PM
Eichel is outstanding. Worthy of consideration for sure. The one rookie not mentioned so far is the Ghost on the Flyers. Excellent d-man. As far as McDavid's injury goes, I agree there might have been some intent to injure. Weren't the Oilers on a PK at the time? Why the hell was he even on the ice?
I agree about Gostisbehere, for a rookie d-man this kid is putting up some impressive numbers. With a deep field of rookie talent this year, he's in tough to win the Calder.

Ya McDavid was on the PK, possibly looking for a shortie, who knows.

http://wpmedia.edmontonjournal.com/2016/03/rookie-scorers.jpg?quality=55&strip=all

HoofedInTheChest
03-07-2016, 04:39 PM
Who said it would be with Buffalo :)
lol

You could be right Al, a possible trade to the Leafs? :cool:

We will find out tonight how good Eichel really is when he goes up against Willie and the power house Maple Leafs. McDavid had a field day against the Leafs last time out, and we will see how Eichel can handle the Buds carpet defense.

Best Coif in the NHL
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEa9XVyCAAAVgUe.jpg

OTM Al
03-09-2016, 09:52 AM
lol

You could be right Al, a possible trade to the Leafs? :cool:

We will find out tonight how good Eichel really is when he goes up against Willie and the power house Maple Leafs. McDavid had a field day against the Leafs last time out, and we will see how Eichel can handle the Buds carpet defense.

UFA when that comes around for him in the prime of his career is more what I'm thinking. McDavid never gets loose unless he does something (okay 3 somethings minimum) stupid, but Eichel not so sure about.

Isles coming to town for you now. On a roll of late with the Rangers dead in their sights. Greiss will be in goal tonight and probably regularly for the next month with Halak out, but think he's been better this year anyway. Halak has developed a big hole glove side of late.

The minor pickup of Prince from Ottawa has helped and Pulock has a cannon shot and has played pretty well for such a young defenseman in his first shot in the NHL. Expect him to get his first goal very soon. Team seems to finally have come to the realization that they need to shoot the puck to win games. So unless a 3rd game in 4 nights in 3 different arenas catches up with them, I pity the Toronto goalminder tonight.

HoofedInTheChest
03-09-2016, 12:25 PM
UFA when that comes around for him in the prime of his career is more what I'm thinking. McDavid never gets loose unless he does something (okay 3 somethings minimum) stupid, but Eichel not so sure about.

Isles coming to town for you now. On a roll of late with the Rangers dead in their sights. Greiss will be in goal tonight and probably regularly for the next month with Halak out, but think he's been better this year anyway. Halak has developed a big hole glove side of late.

The minor pickup of Prince from Ottawa has helped and Pulock has a cannon shot and has played pretty well for such a young defenseman in his first shot in the NHL. Expect him to get his first goal very soon. Team seems to finally have come to the realization that they need to shoot the puck to win games. So unless a 3rd game in 4 nights in 3 different arenas catches up with them, I pity the Toronto goalminder tonight.
Johnny T back in the 6.

I caught the Pens/Isles game last night, and i think my boys are in trouble tonight, even with the back to backs. Haven’t paid much attention to the Isles this season, but man is that a well constructed team, i have to Garth some credit. I have ridden him hard over the years but it is obvious now that he had some vision along the way. The Isles have a really nice balance of speed, skill, and truculence, it’s just a matter of putting it all together at the right time, that and those pesky Caps could be a problem. I was hoping for a Pens win last night seeing that we have their conditional first round pick this year, but the Isles were too much to handle.

Haven’t seen the lineup for tonight, but i would guess that Johnny Berns gets the start in net, god help us. Matt Hunwick got shut down for the season yesterday with a sports hernia, and they called up my boy Viktor Loov, the human eraser. After watching the Isles last night i think Loov should tread lightly against the Isles, you have some serious bonecrushers in your lineup, here’s hoping our kids don’t get mangled. As per usual, i will take the moneyline on the visiting team.

https://giant.gfycat.com/BeneficialDetailedCuscus.gif

My boy Reimer got the shut out last night against McDavid and the Oilers, here’s hoping he continues his winning ways in SJ.

OTM Al
03-09-2016, 12:43 PM
It has become clear no one pays attention to the Islanders, but they will have to soon. Rangers get all the press in NY but they are getting old and have given up so many draft picks all they had left to deal at the deadline was second rounders, so those are gone now too. Isles should have the town for several years to come if they can keep it going and it looks like they have the pipeline right now to do it.

Watch out for the 4th line. Martin leads the league in hits again and Clutterbuck doesn't need to hit the opposition to get them riled. They can score a bit too. Those guys have really been the strength of the team as they are almost always put on ice to regain control after an opposition score. Frans Nielsen is a highly underrated scorer and can be very dangerous. Okposo gets going good and this team gets very dangerous very quickly. If they had been shooting like last year coupled with the defense they've played this year, they would be much much closer to Washington.

Played Caps twice so far and while they have been better without a doubt, those games have been really close, 1 goal difference in each. A slump by Holtby and the Isles can beat them in a best of. You almost expect the Caps to blow it in the playoffs because of history, but maybe this will finally be their year.

HoofedInTheChest
03-09-2016, 05:37 PM
Well this is a letdown, Viktor Loov was injured today at practise, and the Leafs called up T.J. Brennan as a replacement. I was really looking forward to seeing Loov back in the lineup with the Buds but that will have to wait, hopefully it’s nothing serious as we need him in the playoffs.

OTM Al
03-10-2016, 07:29 AM
That was a tired Isles team. Big credit to the Leafs coach pulling the goalie so early to get the two man advantage at the end. Seen several games this year where that was not done.

Rookies
03-10-2016, 09:15 AM
That was a tired Isles team. Big credit to the Leafs coach pulling the goalie so early to get the two man advantage at the end. Seen several games this year where that was not done.

The Laughs are playing the Andrew Luck sweepstakes card, to finally, finally, change their half century dismal fortunes. By the beginning of next season, they may have 2 excellent lines, if everything works out.

MutuelClerk
03-10-2016, 09:47 AM
Not next season. Wayyyyyy too young still. Let's just hope Auston Matthews is in the Leaf future.

HoofedInTheChest
03-10-2016, 01:50 PM
The Isles were flat last night which was understandable, that wasn’t the same team i watched the night before. Our prospects really shined last night accounting for all the goals except for Reilly’s, very encouraging to say the least. Morgan Reilly had a hell of a game last night after being called out by the coach, i see flashes of Bobby Orr in him when he dances up the ice.

Rookies could be right, our young prospects are developing nicely. Babsocks said last night that Soshnikov and Toronto born Hyman are here to stay, they are exactly what he is looking for in a player. Both players are over age prospects, Soshnikov played 2 years of pro hockey in the KHL, and Hyman had 4 years of college hockey. The Leafs are about to sign Nikita Zaitsev (24) out of the KHL , which should help shore up the defense. That leaves Nylander, Marner, Brown, and Kapanen and whoever else that rises to the occasion to fight for a roster spot next season. Then we come to this summer’s draft as well as July 1st , with a little luck we may have some marquee players that can get injected into the lineup right away.

The Leafs this season play a very sound defensive system under Babsocks, the team has lost the majority of it’s games this year by 1 goal. If Babsocks can take a lineup of dogs, and make them respectable, imagine what he can do with some talent on the team. The team lacks skill up front this season but since the injection of our top prospects after the trade deadline, it has become apparent that a corner has been turned. Yes the team will be young next season, probably the youngest in the NHL, but they will not be bottom dwellers this time next season, i foresee a significant improvement.

OTM Al
03-10-2016, 01:56 PM
The Leafs this season play a very sound defensive system under Babsocks, the team has lost the majority of it’s games this year by 1 goal. If Babsocks can take a lineup of dogs, and make them respectable, imagine what he can do with some talent on the team. The team lacks skill up front this season but since the injection of our top prospects after the trade deadline, it has become apparent that a corner has been turned. Yes the team will be young next season, probably the youngest in the NHL, but they will not be bottom dwellers this time next season, i foresee a significant improvement.

The Isles broadcasters were talking about how well they were playing defensively between the blue lines. They were really impeding any sort of concerted attack into their own zone. They weren't as good once the Isles were able to break through the blue line and establish themselves for way too much longer than a defense should allow. That takes time though. The Isles were a really young team a few years ago. Mature the core, a few key UFA pickups, and next thing you know, you have a competitive team.

azeri98
03-10-2016, 04:49 PM
The Isles were flat last night which was understandable, that wasn’t the same team i watched the night before. Our prospects really shined last night accounting for all the goals except for Reilly’s, very encouraging to say the least. Morgan Reilly had a hell of a game last night after being called out by the coach, i see flashes of Bobby Orr in him when he dances up the ice.

Rookies could be right, our young prospects are developing nicely. Babsocks said last night that Soshnikov and Toronto born Hyman are here to stay, they are exactly what he is looking for in a player. Both players are over age prospects, Soshnikov played 2 years of pro hockey in the KHL, and Hyman had 4 years of college hockey. The Leafs are about to sign Nikita Zaitsev (24) out of the KHL , which should help shore up the defense. That leaves Nylander, Marner, Brown, and Kapanen and whoever else that rises to the occasion to fight for a roster spot next season. Then we come to this summer’s draft as well as July 1st , with a little luck we may have some marquee players that can get injected into the lineup right away.

As a long suffering Leaf fan I hope they tank next year too, then get another good pick and sign Tavares, I would pass on Stamkos this year.

MutuelClerk
03-12-2016, 10:09 AM

Rookies may be right about two top lines as soon as next year. Hoofed, the team lacks skill from the blueline going backwards to the net. The system Babcock has is fine, the players this season have played hard. But the young talent is in our forwards not defenseman or goalies. This needs to be eventually addressed via trade or free agency. I think the teardown has gone well. Don't rush it, don't put pressure on the front office to rush it. Low expectations next year. One more season of bottom dwelling won't be a bad thing.

HoofedInTheChest
03-12-2016, 03:37 PM
Rookies may be right about two top lines as soon as next year. Hoofed, the team lacks skill from the blueline going backwards to the net. The system Babcock has is fine, the players this season have played hard. But the young talent is in our forwards not defenseman or goalies. This needs to be eventually addressed via trade or free agency. I think the teardown has gone well. Don't rush it, don't put pressure on the front office to rush it. Low expectations next year. One more season of bottom dwelling won't be a bad thing.
No one is rushing anything, when you start adding up the pieces that are going to be put in place next season, you have to agree that we will have more talent up front, it is already apparent. I’m not saying this team is hitting the playoffs next season, i foresee a 3 to 5 position jump in the standings. Like i said, with a little luck we may have some marquee talent on this team either through the draft, or through free agency.

I’m well aware of what we have in the system, and what we need in the system, and you are absolutely correct about the back end. I predict that after the first round, the Buds will target goalies and defensemen in the draft.

When you look at a team and a system that generally loses by one goal every night, and you add goal scoring, you’re going to generate more wins. How many wins is the million dollar question.

ldiatone
03-12-2016, 04:58 PM
gino malkin OUT 4-6 wks....there goes the playoffs! unless kessel steps up his game ;) :rolleyes:

HoofedInTheChest
03-12-2016, 06:04 PM
gino malkin OUT 4-6 wks....there goes the playoffs! unless kessel steps up his game ;) :rolleyes:
Actually it's 6-8 weeks, his season is done.

Lets hope the boys can pick up the slack, we need you in the playoffs!

azeri98
03-12-2016, 09:17 PM
Actually it's 6-8 weeks, his season is done.

Lets hope the boys can pick up the slack, we need you in the playoffs!
Yes we want that 1st round pick.

ldiatone
03-12-2016, 11:25 PM
PHA is going to catch them. and the 1st report i saw was 4-6wks

HoofedInTheChest
03-13-2016, 05:01 PM
PHA is going to catch them. and the 1st report i saw was 4-6wks
Solid win today. :ThmbUp:

Hopefully we can help you guys out tonight, but i doubt it. The boys should have a push back game tonight after that disgraceful performance last night.

Both Detroit and Philly have negative goal differentials, so you have that going for you, that and you have Phil Kessel, what could possibly go wrong?

ldiatone
03-13-2016, 09:00 PM
nice win over the blue shirts today..... NYI home tues..

OTM Al
03-14-2016, 08:57 AM
Second of a back to back and 3rd game in 4 days situation once again for the Isles. Having games in hand seems like a good thing until they are crammed in the schedule like this.

OTM Al
03-14-2016, 09:28 PM
Think now it may be a good one. Isles look like complete crap tonight for 2+ periods and then erupted on the Panthers to steal 2 points. May be the biggest win yet this year.

ldiatone
03-14-2016, 11:24 PM
Think now it may be a good one. Isles look like complete crap tonight for 2+ periods and then erupted on the Panthers to steal 2 points. May be the biggest win yet this year.
Home game for the pens!

OTM Al
03-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Home game for the pens!
Good game to watch last night. Isles not at the top of their game but did come to play and got a big point. Pretty good work by the #3 goaltender I might add. I'm not surprised if this is the first round playoff match up.

ldiatone
03-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Good game to watch last night. Isles not at the top of their game but did come to play and got a big point. Pretty good work by the #3 goaltender I might add. I'm not surprised if this is the first round playoff match up.
watch those Flyers!! :eek:

OTM Al
03-16-2016, 11:40 AM
watch those Flyers!! :eek:
Watch them knock the Rangers out of the 4th spot? That would be fun!

HoofedInTheChest
03-16-2016, 01:52 PM
You are both the masters of your own destiny. Philly has a shot at a wild card spot, but very unlikely to take a divisional spot. Making up 8 points in 14 games in a 3 point system is achievable, but very unlikely.

Philly has to take down the agitated Blackhawks in Chicago tonight, not going to happen. Philly is a .500 team against the West, as well as being a .500 team on the road.

Pens/Flyers – Saturday
Flyers/Isles – Monday

The above two games can put the Flyers to bed for a divisional spot, that’s if your boys have it in them.

At this point in the season the numbers don’t lie, any team with a negative goal differential at this point in time will not make the playoffs, and if they do, are a quick exit in the first round.

Detroit lost Niklas Kronwall for the next 3 weeks, and that is a huge blow to a team fighting for a WC spot. Their goal differential is deceiving, while they are a -10 at this point in time, their special teams put up really good numbers, but 5 on 5 their numbers are absolute garbage. Their 24 year playoff streak will come to an end, and i like to think that the Leafs had something to do with it. ;)

Flyers will take the last WC spot.

OTM Al
03-16-2016, 02:04 PM
You are both the masters of your own destiny. Philly has a shot at a wild card spot, but very unlikely to take a divisional spot. Making up 8 points in 14 games in a 3 point system is achievable, but very unlikely.

Philly has to take down the agitated Blackhawks in Chicago tonight, not going to happen. Philly is a .500 team against the West, as well as being a .500 team on the road.

Pens/Flyers – Saturday
Flyers/Isles – Monday

The above two games can put the Flyers to bed for a divisional spot, that’s if your boys have it in them.

At this point in the season the numbers don’t lie, any team with a negative goal differential at this point in time will not make the playoffs, and if they do, are a quick exit in the first round.

Detroit lost Niklas Kronwall for the next 3 weeks, and that is a huge blow to a team fighting for a WC spot. Their goal differential is deceiving, while they are a -10 at this point in time, their special teams put up really good numbers, but 5 on 5 their numbers are absolute garbage. Their 24 year playoff streak will come to an end, and i like to think that the Leafs had something to do with it. ;)

You thinking then both the East and West will have 5 teams from one division and 3 from the other then? West it is pretty clear that is exactly what will happen. Philly clocks in for the #5, they then get the Caps and the #4 Metro team goes against whoever wins that three team scrum in a very winnable series. In such a scenario, I'd almost rather have the #4 than the #3 spot in the Metro.

HoofedInTheChest
03-16-2016, 02:47 PM
You thinking then both the East and West will have 5 teams from one division and 3 from the other then? West it is pretty clear that is exactly what will happen. Philly clocks in for the #5, they then get the Caps and the #4 Metro team goes against whoever wins that three team scrum in a very winnable series. In such a scenario, I'd almost rather have the #4 than the #3 spot in the Metro.
Absolutely, Carolina, Ottawa, and Jersey have no shot at the playoffs.

So you’re saying that the #4 Metro team has an easy first round matchup against Florida, Boston, or Tampa? Home ice advantage? Boston is the only team with a .500 record at home, and i understand your point in that scenario, but the Rangers and Pens have .500 records on the road.

Anyway you look at it, there is no easy road in the playoffs.

OTM Al
03-16-2016, 02:57 PM
Absolutely, Carolina, Ottawa, and Jersey have no shot at the playoffs.

So you’re saying that the #4 Metro team has an easy first round matchup against Florida, Boston, or Tampa? Home ice advantage? Boston is the only team with a .500 record at home, and i understand your point in that scenario, but the Rangers and Pens have .500 records on the road.

Anyway you look at it, there is no easy road in the playoffs.

No easy road ever, but if you are the #4 Metro when 5 make it, You play the winner of the Atlantic who isn't that much better than you given regular season records. You win that round, you now get the 2/3 team from the Atlantic because they don't reseed anymore (right?) instead of the Caps. One would think, barring the standard Caps playoff implosion, that you have a much better chance to go deeper if you are the #4 vs the #3.

HoofedInTheChest
03-16-2016, 03:17 PM
No easy road ever, but if you are the #4 Metro when 5 make it, You play the winner of the Atlantic who isn't that much better than you given regular season records. You win that round, you now get the 2/3 team from the Atlantic because they don't reseed anymore (right?) instead of the Caps. One would think, barring the standard Caps playoff implosion, that you have a much better chance to go deeper if you are the #4 vs the #3.
I guess, i would still take the division winner and home team over a WC team. Without seeing the matchups it’s a tough call but i see your point.

Anyway you spin it, i foresee a Caps/Kings Stanley Cup final.

HoofedInTheChest
03-16-2016, 04:46 PM
Expansion Draft

Each NHL team will lose 1 player if the league expands by 1 team, 2 players if the league expands by 2 teams.

Teams can protect 7 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 1 goalie, or 8 skaters of any position and a goaltender.

Prospects and young players are exempt from the Draft. Players entering the third and final year of their entry-level contract would be eligible.

Will players with no-move clauses in contracts be eligible for the draft? Will they be able to waive their no-move clause and opt-in for a fresh start elsewhere?

ldiatone
03-16-2016, 04:51 PM

Pens/Flyers – Saturday
Flyers/Isles – Monday

PHA last 10-->7-2-1 Hawks last 10 4-5-1 L2

HoofedInTheChest
03-16-2016, 05:04 PM
PHA last 10-->7-2-1 Hawks last 10 4-5-1 L2
Hawks have lost their last 3, which hasn't happened in how long? It's safe to say they are a bit testy these days, but they are still the Cup Champs.

Chicago Home = 24-9-2

Flyers Road = 14-14-5

Be my guest and unload on the Flyers tonight, you will get a nice return.

ldiatone
03-17-2016, 09:49 PM
WOW Phil Kessel gets a goal and a assist! WOW :rolleyes:
Pens 4 Car 2
Pens @ Pha sat 12:30

ldiatone
03-19-2016, 04:05 PM
Pens win over the Pha. 4-1. Pha had 17 shots(lowest this year) a "must" win for the flyers. pens get 2 points and pass the NYI! NYI vrs Stars tonite
note: kessel has played well recently though he has been picked on, me included after watching him play most part of the season. he had a good game vrs the PHa today.

HoofedInTheChest
03-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Pens win over the Pha. 4-1. Pha had 17 shots(lowest this year) a "must" win for the flyers. pens get 2 points and pass the NYI! NYI vrs Stars tonite
note: kessel has played well recently though he has been picked on, me included after watching him play most part of the season. he had a good game vrs the PHa today.
On behalf of everyone in Toronto, i would like to thank Pittsburgh for the 5 game win streak, for taking Phil Kessel off our hands, and for Jose Bautista. :cool:

The wait is over, the highly anticipated debut of La Chèvre is tonight, i just don’t understand how the Buds are the favorite tonight, it’s the freakin Marlies against an NHL club.

cj
03-19-2016, 05:24 PM

Caps tomorrow. Good Luck. Caps actually still have a remote chance to break the all time points in a season record.

HoofedInTheChest
03-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Caps tomorrow. Good Luck. Caps actually still have a remote chance to break the all time points in a season record.
Are you sure about that?

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens

Record – 60-8-12 = 132 Points

cj
03-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Are you sure about that?

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens

Record – 60-8-12 = 132 Points

Caps are at 107 with 14 to go, so possible 135. Like I said though, remote.

HoofedInTheChest
03-19-2016, 06:08 PM
Caps are at 107 with 14 to go, so possible 135. Like I said though, remote.
Caps have 107 points in 70 games, with 12 to go, it's an 82 game season. The best you can do is 131, and the Habs did it with 2 fewer games back in 1977.

cj
03-19-2016, 06:32 PM
Caps have 107 points in 70 games, with 12 to go, it's an 82 game season. The best you can do is 131, and the Habs did it with 2 fewer games back in 1977.

Not sure why I thought it was 84, my bad. Wasn't it 84 at one time? You could have just told me if you already knew :)

HoofedInTheChest
03-19-2016, 07:01 PM
Not sure why I thought it was 84, my bad. Wasn't it 84 at one time? You could have just told me if you already knew :)
When you go back through the history of the NHL, the game totals are all over the place, but they have never played more than 82 games in a season.

For a second there i was hoping you were right, the greatest team ever assembled was the 77 Habs, and the trolls in Montreal never let you forget it.

Frost king
03-19-2016, 07:03 PM
And the Habs did it in an era, when there was no OT or shoot outs to determine a game. A tie back then was just fine.

MutuelClerk
03-19-2016, 07:45 PM
Don't like the Habs at all. But FK is right on. Different era. I despise three point hockey games. If you must play OT then make it two points to the winner and nothing for the loser. Or make all the games three point games. Personally I have no problem with ties. These guys play hard in the regular season for the most part it's a tough game and long season.

ldiatone
03-19-2016, 10:35 PM
in that year '77 was there not several expansion teams just a few years old? i know the caps just came in. atl-nyi-kc just in the past couple of years. and wasn't it true Montreal was the only team that could draft 18 yo players out of the QMJHL? back in the early 70's? that changed but i dont remember when.
and one team that got beat up by the habs was the pens...chz 8-1 6-1 9-1.
but that was a great win. 4 in a row WOW i remember ...

RXB
03-19-2016, 11:38 PM
in that year '77 was there not several expansion teams just a few years old? i know the caps just came in. atl-nyi-kc just in the past couple of years. and wasn't it true Montreal was the only team that could draft 18 yo players out of the QMJHL? back in the early 70's? that changed but i dont remember when.
and one team that got beat up by the habs was the pens...chz 8-1 6-1 9-1.
but that was a great win. 4 in a row WOW i remember ...

Washington and Kansas City (which moved to Denver after their second season) joined in the 74-75 season and they were both terrible. Atlanta and the Islanders had joined two years earlier but had quickly become respectable teams. Buffalo and Vancouver another two years before that; Buffalo was a good team, Vancouver weak.

Habs had no special territorial rights in Quebec by 1970. But they got the #1 overall draft pick in 1971 (Lafleur) by outsmarting the Seals in a trade. (Also picked Larry Robinson in the 2nd round of that draft; what a steal.) Basically, Montreal was the first franchise with genuinely professional management and they were playing chess compared to checkers for the other teams. Hence the gazillion Stanley Cups in the 50's/60's/70's.

HoofedInTheChest
03-20-2016, 12:03 AM
Debunking the Canadiens' French Territorial Rights Myth

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2008/12/2/678036/debunking-the-canadiens-fr

ldiatone
03-20-2016, 01:19 PM
cool thanks

RXB
03-21-2016, 06:04 PM
How good already is Connor McDavid? Points at even strength:

Patrick Kane - 73 games, 60 points (.82 per game)
Jack Eichel - 72 games, 31 points (.43)
McDavid - 38 games, 30 points (.79)

Kane is the NHL scoring leader and plays on a far more talented team than Eichel or McDavid. Eichel is second in rookie scoring (behind a 24-year-old KHL veteran who is playing on Kane's line). McDavid is very close to Kane and has almost doubled Eichel on a per-game basis.

Stillriledup
03-21-2016, 06:52 PM
How good already is Connor McDavid? Points at even strength:

Patrick Kane - 73 games, 60 points (.82 per game)
Jack Eichel - 72 games, 31 points (.43)
McDavid - 38 games, 30 points (.79)

Kane is the NHL scoring leader and plays on a far more talented team than Eichel or McDavid. Eichel is second in rookie scoring (behind a 24-year-old KHL veteran who is playing on Kane's line). McDavid is very close to Kane and has almost doubled Eichel on a per-game basis.

This just in: he's pretty good.

mikesal57
03-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Lets go Rangers!!!

Hoping they can hold on to 2nd place for home ice for , as I see it, a downward looking future.
For the past 10 years , it has been the defense ( and Lundqvist) that vaulted this team to the top but this year has been disappointing watching them blow games at the end when it seems like they consistently run out of gas.
This is an old team and I will be sad when their run ends....

mike

HoofedInTheChest
03-22-2016, 03:33 PM
Since the trade deadline, our defence core is putting up better numbers without Phaneuf and Polak in the lineup, and i’m not talking about offensive numbers.

One kid that i am truly impressed with is Connor Carrick, for a mid-sized guy, he battles hard along the half wall and plays a simple and effective game with an offensive upside. Marincin, while being an incredibly ugly skater, is quite effective at braking up plays and getting into passing lanes and has a no-panic approach to breakouts out of the D-zone. Gardiner seems to have found some confidence under Babs, and is using his assets to the best of his ability. He is moving the puck well and is not turning the puck over while under pressure, something he had problems with in the past. Corrado and Valiev still need seasoning and are not NHL ready in my opinion.

Under Babs, the team as a whole is playing outstanding defence when you look at “shots against”. The difference between this season and the last 5 years is remarkable, and anyone that says Babs is a waste of money is clueless.

It seems Johnny Berns has found his game again at the worst possible time! I still don’t think he is a legitimate #1, but he has played well enough to keep the Buds within reach most nights since the deadline.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/7d/b8/24/7db82445a01305e4ed7ced766b83c7b4.jpg

MutuelClerk
03-22-2016, 05:12 PM
We need to lose some games Hoofed. I want a 20% with the number one pick. Nylander and Soshnikov have really impressed me. What did you think of the Goat?

HoofedInTheChest
03-22-2016, 06:55 PM
We need to lose some games Hoofed. I want a 20% with the number one pick. Nylander and Soshnikov have really impressed me. What did you think of the Goat?
Yes my friend, “the tank” is coming off the tracks.

Nylander is a stud, and we haven’t seen him at his best yet. The one thing Nonis did get right was drafting Nylander, mind you Shanny was hovering over his shoulder at the time.

I love Soshnikov, his shot is incredible, but he is writing cheques that his body can’t cash. He is everything you want in a hockey player, he just isn’t big enough to play that kind of game. He needs to pick his spots and not hit everything under the sun, unfortunately he is out with a shoulder injury.

Zach Hyman has been a pleasant surprise so far, who saw that one coming? He’s on pace with Willie in goals scored over 12 games.

The Goat is everything i thought he would be, an effective defensive centreman with an offensive upside. Everyone said that his skating wasn’t strong enough, well he hasn’t looked out of place in the two games that he has played, and has yet to get burned by it. His face-offs still needs work, but being 6’-5”, he needs to crouch down lower to maximise his strength, the coaching staff and some experience can rectify that problem. He is an effective player along the half wall, and is never out of position, and seems to put himself in the right place in the offensive zone, how many scoring chances has he had so far? He will never be a superstar in the NHL, but like i said last year, this kid will be a 3rd or 4th line shut down centreman in the future, with a high hockey IQ, Babs loves this kid.

When you think about adding Marner to the lineup, as well as the 2 bluechip prospects we have playing in Europe, as well as the chance of landing Zaitsev and Vesey and whoever else we end up with this summer, this team is going to make some noise next year whether you like it or not.

I have conceded that will be picking 4th in the draft this summer, if it ends up being higher, that’s great it’s a bonus. I am not setting myself up for another letdown this year, the draft lottery is a crock of sh*t.

MutuelClerk
03-22-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm okay with big improvement next year. I just wanna walk and not run to get there. Slightly disagree about the Goat's skating abilities. But he could be a shut down center for sure. I saw Marner once this season, he really looked good. I was a little skeptical of him. Hope he proves me wrong. You're spot on about Soshnikov he plays such a tough game for a little dude and his shot is excellent. Really liked his first goal celebration. Hope there's many more to come.

HoofedInTheChest
03-22-2016, 09:44 PM
I'm okay with big improvement next year. I just wanna walk and not run to get there. Slightly disagree about the Goat's skating abilities. But he could be a shut down center for sure. I saw Marner once this season, he really looked good. I was a little skeptical of him. Hope he proves me wrong. You're spot on about Soshnikov he plays such a tough game for a little dude and his shot is excellent. Really liked his first goal celebration. Hope there's many more to come.
I’m not saying there is going to be a big improvement next season, but i foresee them slowly making their way up the standings over the next 3 years. I think a lot of people were not expecting the prospects to shine the way they have this season (or should i say the last 12 games), but there is reason to be optimistic about the future. Management has been very transparent about what they intend to do, and the fan base have embraced their candor and is in for the long haul.

I don’t foresee management getting antsy and pulling a Brian Burke, but at the same time they have no control over prospects playing above their expectations. You have a plan, and you forecast what you expect from that plan at a given time, and sometimes the team exceeds expectations for whatever reason. My gut is telling me that this isn’t going to be as painful as predicted, i could be wrong.

When they unloaded the players at the deadline and called up the prospects to get some experience, my thinking was... this is perfect, they are going to get steamrolled over the remaining games. I did not expect these 13 prospects to win 5 of their last 7 games, nor did management, Shanny said himself “they are playing above our expectations, and you can’t temper or control that.”

I understand it’s a small sample size, but the current lineup has outplayed the lineup we had at the beginning of the season, and no one saw that coming.

The kids are alright.

HoofedInTheChest
03-22-2016, 09:58 PM
Slightly disagree about the Goat's skating abilities.
What's your take on the Goat?

I haven’t herd one negative remark from analysts about his skating, just his face off losses.

Winning seems to follow La Chèvre wherever he plays, he is a very unique individual, i don't know maybe it's just me.

HoofedInTheChest
03-25-2016, 02:14 PM
It has to be humiliating for Anaheim to lose to a farm team not once but twice this season. The Ducks couldn’t deal with the Marlies speed and puck pursuit over 2 periods until the floodgates opened for Anaheim. And in the end, the kids took it to the Ducks in OT.

Mike Babcock on tanking...

“Yes i would like the first pick, and there are 29 other teams that would like the first pick, i also like to win every night. I’m a big believer in life that if you do good things, good things will happen to you, if you try and cheat the system, the system will cheat you.”

ldiatone
03-26-2016, 04:49 PM
WOW! every ones fav. whipping boy had 1 goal and 4 assists in a 7-2 victory over the destroit red (un)wings! 90 pts for the pens and the Rangers on sun night.

ldiatone
03-26-2016, 05:01 PM
Kessel is the fourth player from the 2006 draft to register 300 career assists, joining Chicago's Jonathan Toews, Philadelphia's Claude Giroux and Washington's Nicklas Backstrom.

HoofedInTheChest
03-26-2016, 06:53 PM
Kessel is the fourth player from the 2006 draft to register 300 career assists, joining Chicago's Jonathan Toews, Philadelphia's Claude Giroux and Washington's Nicklas Backstrom.
I’m happy that the Pens won, but let’s not forget that he is being paid $10 Million for 22 Goals with a PPG of 0.70, as well as being ranked 53rd in points this season, that’s nothing to celebrate. If you command that kind of money, you better be putting up a point a game at the very least, because he sure isn't helping you at the other end of the ice, he's a turnover machine.

ldiatone
03-26-2016, 08:30 PM
I’m happy that the Pens won, but let’s not forget that he is being paid $10 Million for 22 Goals with a PPG of 0.70, as well as being ranked 53rd in points this season, that’s nothing to celebrate. If you command that kind of money, you better be putting up a point a game at the very least, because he sure isn't helping you at the other end of the ice, he's a turnover machine.
Don't for get those assists!! but i do agree. never viewed so many missed nets.

RXB
03-27-2016, 01:02 PM

I agree. When Kessel's not scoring, he's an anchor. He's terrible defensively-- unlike Giroux, Backstrom and Toews-- and he doesn't add grit or leadership. I wouldn't want him on my team, not with that size of contract.

Stillriledup
03-27-2016, 02:14 PM
It has to be humiliating for Anaheim to lose to a farm team not once but twice this season. The Ducks couldn’t deal with the Marlies speed and puck pursuit over 2 periods until the floodgates opened for Anaheim. And in the end, the kids took it to the Ducks in OT.

Mike Babcock on tanking...

“Yes i would like the first pick, and there are 29 other teams that would like the first pick, i also like to win every night. I’m a big believer in life that if you do good things, good things will happen to you, if you try and cheat the system, the system will cheat you.”

Anaheim is tired and has a ton of injures, not to mention Kessler missed the game too. Nobody thinks they're going to be 82/0, teams lose games on occasion. Not the least bit humiliating.

ldiatone
03-29-2016, 12:50 PM
A huge weekend offensively for Phil Kessel earned him the NHL’s ‘Third Star’ of the week, it was announced by the NHL today.
i know some think kessel is a anchor. i agreed till this weekend. he does not have to b the main man in pittsburgh. there are 3 others who lead this team. although one is hurt. the line w/ hagelin-bonno-kessel has speed, and has stepped it up w/ said person hurt. mayb its playoff time, and his numbers are good in the playoffs. i'll still be cautions, but his play has improved. mayb he gets the goals in the playoffs to prove the 10 mil salary

HoofedInTheChest
03-29-2016, 02:48 PM
It was announced yesterday that Jimmy Vesey, the 6’-3”, 210 pound left winger from Harvard will not be signing with Nashville. He was drafted in 2012 in the 3rd round by Nashville, and opted to play 4 years of college hockey instead of signing in the NHL. This means come August 15th, he will be a UFA and up for grabs by any of the remaining 29 teams without compensation.

The clause in the NHL’s collective bargaining agreement that allows U.S. college seniors to choose free agency is a bit of a quirk in the system. A player drafted out of the Canadian Hockey League as a junior, by comparison, goes back into the draft after two years if he doesn’t sign with his original club. Justin Schultz, Kevin Hayes and Mike Reilly have all been down a similar path, and have paved the way for Vesey to play for the team of his choosing. Vesey's entry-level contract will only be for two years instead of the normal 3 years because he's 22.

Scouting Report

“Vesey is a big winger who is a skilled passer and sees the game well. He is more than just an up-and-down player as he possesses skill and smarts that make him a dangerous player in the offensive zone. Vesey does not shy away from the physical game but could be more active in that area. His defensive zone coverage is inconsistent at times. Vesey could potentially be a top 6 power-forward and is widely regarded as NHL ready.”

Dulling the market to some degree could be the belief by some that the fix is in and he’ll sign with the Toronto Maple Leafs, who may have started laying the groundwork for this day by drafting his brother, Nolan, back in 2014 and then hiring his father as a part-time scout last year. As well, Boston looks to be a front-runner being that Vesey is a hometown boy, this could get interesting... can anyone say tampering?

ldiatone
03-29-2016, 04:06 PM
:lol: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/28/kessel-is-most-overrated-player-in-nhl-postmedia-poll

HoofedInTheChest
03-29-2016, 04:52 PM
:lol: http://www.torontosun.com/2016/03/28/kessel-is-most-overrated-player-in-nhl-postmedia-poll
I saw that yesterday, Phaneuf drops from 1st to 2nd this year, and Dave Nonis was the genius that signed both of these players longterm, what a donkey.

"Most overrated player: Penguins’ little ball of cotton, Phil Kessel, was the overwhelming choice among players, but fans ranked him second behind Montreal litmus test P.K. Subban. Then again, the fans also voted in numbers for Kane, Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, and Erik Karlsson, to name just a few, so maybe they’re not entirely impartial."

It’s time to leave him alone and let his play be the deciding factor, i’m getting tired of harping on the guy.

Stillriledup
03-29-2016, 05:35 PM
I saw that yesterday, Phaneuf drops from 1st to 2nd this year, and Dave Nonis was the genius that signed both of these players longterm, what a donkey.

"Most overrated player: Penguins’ little ball of cotton, Phil Kessel, was the overwhelming choice among players, but fans ranked him second behind Montreal litmus test P.K. Subban. Then again, the fans also voted in numbers for Kane, Jonathan Toews, Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, and Erik Karlsson, to name just a few, so maybe they’re not entirely impartial."

It’s time to leave him alone and let his play be the deciding factor, i’m getting tired of harping on the guy.

Overrated and really REALLY good are two different things though. Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky can be overrated even though they're the best ever in their sports.

MutuelClerk
03-29-2016, 06:29 PM
Gretzky was great no question. Strongly disagree on best ever. Robert Gordon Orr. Both players really did change the game though. Hockey has so many talented young players. Can't wait for the playoffs.

MutuelClerk
03-29-2016, 10:07 PM
Dear TML,

You are my favorite hockey team. Would you please do me a favor? STOP WINNING...Ty

RXB
03-29-2016, 11:51 PM
Duncan Keith, a guy who has already been suspended twice previously-- the second one a stick-swinging incident for which he got a ridiculously light one-game suspension-- has just done this tonight. Brutal.

IKp4gzFIzO4

MutuelClerk
03-30-2016, 12:10 AM
Saw that. No accident. Five games.

RXB
03-30-2016, 01:06 AM
If he gets away with just five games for that, it stands as proof that player safety is not a priority whatsoever.

Five games is what Chicago has left in the regular season. Add two or three playoff games on top of it, then maybe I'd be satisfied. That is one of the worst stick swinging incidents I've seen in a long time.

MutuelClerk
03-30-2016, 08:52 AM
I agree with you. I'm not saying it's justice. But it's one of the better players in the league ( with a history). Like you said the playoffs are approaching. He plays for one of the more prolific teams in the NHL. Sadly that matters. I think he will get around five games. Hopefully it's more.

HoofedInTheChest
03-30-2016, 03:24 PM
Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith has been offered an in-person hearing, which means it will be 6 games or more.

Keith is not officially considered a repeat offender by the league because he has a clean slate over the last 18 months, but the No. 1 defenceman does have a history of egregious offences.

Coyle certainly deserved at least one penalty on the play that resulted in Keith’s retaliation. He brought his stick up and clipped Keith in the helmet as the two players battled for the puck against the boards. Once the puck moved elsewhere (up the wall) Keith landed hard on his back after Coyle exerted a strong upper-body push with the stick located behind Keith’s legs. Coyle was guilty of an interference violation.

Based upon the degree of force through the hard landing that Keith received, the infraction could have escalated to a major penalty (Rule 56.4). Anything is possible, but I would not suspect that, in spite of Keith’s hard fall, that this act would not be worthy of a suspension to the Minnesota player.

It’s safe to say that Coyle broke his nose.
http://www.tsn.ca/polopoly_fs/1.461646!/fileimage/httpImage/image.png_gen/derivatives/landscape_620/c-mon-ref-3.png

RXB
03-30-2016, 04:25 PM
Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith has been offered an in-person hearing, which means it will be 6 games or more.

Keith is not officially considered a repeat offender by the league because he has a clean slate over the last 18 months, but the No. 1 defenceman does have a history of egregious offences.

An in-person hearing gives the league the option of suspending a player for more than five games but doesn't guarantee that course of action. In this case, however, I can't imagine that Keith won't miss some playoff time in addition to the last five regular season games.

Repeat offender only applies to the amount of salary that is forfeited. A player's history can be considered when handing out the length of suspension regardless of whether or not he's been disciplined in the past 18 months.

Jesse Boulerice and Chris Simon both got 25 games for applying a vicious two-hander to an opponent's face and Simon's 25 included some playoff games. I can't see any reason why Duncan Keith should get less than 10 for what he did.

Stillriledup
03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
An in-person hearing gives the league the option of suspending a player for more than five games but doesn't guarantee that course of action. In this case, however, I can't imagine that Keith won't miss some playoff time in addition to the last five regular season games.

Repeat offender only applies to the amount of salary that is forfeited. A player's history can be considered when handing out the length of suspension regardless of whether or not he's been disciplined in the past 18 months.

Jesse Boulerice and Chris Simon both got 25 games for applying a vicious two-hander to an opponent's face and Simon's 25 included some playoff games. I can't see any reason why Duncan Keith should get less than 10 for what he did.

The league should say that they're going to have the hearing after the last regular season game, that way he can be suspended for the first round vs getting suspended and essentially rewarded (with rest) in the next 5 meaningless games.

If he's not suspended for at least 1 playoff game, the suspension is virtually meaningless.

HoofedInTheChest
03-30-2016, 04:40 PM
What were your thoughts on what transpired before the stick swinging?

RXB
03-30-2016, 04:43 PM
What were your thoughts on what transpired before the stick swinging?

Coyle should've got two minutes.

HoofedInTheChest
03-30-2016, 04:52 PM
The league should say that they're going to have the hearing after the last regular season game, that way he can be suspended for the first round vs getting suspended and essentially rewarded (with rest) in the next 5 meaningless games.

If he's not suspended for at least 1 playoff game, the suspension is virtually meaningless.
Would you have this same opinion if it was an Anaheim Duck?

The last 5 games are not meaningless, try again.

The CBA does not allow the league to drag their feet on hearings.

Are you saying Charlie Coyle is innocent of provoking this incident?

Do you have any more pearls of wisdom for us?

RXB
03-30-2016, 04:57 PM
What Coyle did was minimal, nothing more than a minor penalty and something that goes on regularly. The league gave Simon 25 games for retaliating against Hollweg who had boarded Simon from behind just a few seconds earlier (and wasn't called for a penalty). Coyle's possible infraction in no way justifies what Keith did.

HoofedInTheChest
03-30-2016, 05:00 PM
Coyle should've got two minutes.
For what, the high stick to the head, or the slew foot coupled with the bulldogging?

There was actually a minor and a major penality involved before Keith took a swing.

Had Keith not lifted his head, he would have been knocked unconscious from that pussy move.

HoofedInTheChest
03-30-2016, 05:02 PM
What Coyle did was minimal, nothing more than a minor penalty and something that goes on regularly.
Go back and watch the video again.

RXB
03-30-2016, 05:10 PM
Go back and watch the video again.

I've watched it a few times already. Coyle should've gotten a high-sticking penalty along the boards. He also pushed Keith down with his stick behind his legs so if the ref had decided to give him a minor for that I'd have no problem with it but it's not often that a guy is going to get two minors from stuff in scrums like that.

Still doesn't change the fact that Keith can't respond by taking a big swing with his stick and smashing Coyle in the face.

HoofedInTheChest
03-30-2016, 07:12 PM
I've watched it a few times already. Coyle should've gotten a high-sticking penalty along the boards. He also pushed Keith down with his stick behind his legs so if the ref had decided to give him a minor for that I'd have no problem with it but it's not often that a guy is going to get two minors from stuff in scrums like that.

Still doesn't change the fact that Keith can't respond by taking a big swing with his stick and smashing Coyle in the face.
I don’t think you understand how dangerous a slew foot really is. That has to be the cheapest move in hockey, and one that could cause life threatening injuries, Coyle is a genuine POS.

Coyle pulled both of Keith’s legs out from underneath him while driving his shoulders into the ice, and that play has one intention, to drive the back of the head into the ice. Luckily Keith had the agility to keep his head elevated throughout the hit, or this could have been real ugly.

I’m not saying what Keith did was right, and he will pay a price for his actions, but Coyle got what he deserved.

RXB
03-30-2016, 07:51 PM
I don’t think you understand how dangerous a slew foot really is. That has to be the cheapest move in hockey, and one that could cause life threatening injuries, Coyle is a genuine POS.

Coyle pulled both of Keith’s legs out from underneath him while driving his shoulders into the ice, and that play has one intention, to drive the back of the head into the ice. Luckily Keith had the agility to keep his head elevated throughout the hit, or this could have been real ugly.

I’m not saying what Keith did was right, and he will pay a price for his actions, but Coyle got what he deserved.

I played hockey for plenty of years; I was slewfooted more than once. That is not a slewfoot although the effect was sort of the same. They were pushing for the puck, it was down by Keith's skate and Coyle poked at it with his stick, then immediately pushed Keith in the chest. Nowhere near the same intent as someone coming from beyond and deliberately kicking your skates from underneath you, especially if they give you the armbar across the chest in combination.

Coyle could've gotten two minutes for interference and he should've had two minutes for a high stick a second or two before. But his actions were within the typical standards of things that can happen during physical play near the boards, nothing over the top at all. Coyle had nothing more coming to him than a glove to the face or a whack on the ankle or behind the knee whenever Keith could get around to it.

When Simon got 25 games, it was after a hit by Hollweg that should've been penalized but wasn't. Didn't change the fact that Simon's response was egregious.

HoofedInTheChest
03-30-2016, 09:07 PM
They were pushing for the puck, it was down by Keith's skate and Coyle poked at it with his stick, then immediately pushed Keith in the chest.

Did you watch the video that you posted?

The puck was moved back to the point by Hossa, then Coyle got his stick in behind Keith’s legs and used his linemates leg as leverage, Coyle then proceeded to pull Keith’s legs out from underneath him, then with Keith’s legs in the air, he body slammed him into the ice by his shoulders with excessive force. I don't know what kind of hockey you played, but where i come from, Coyle would be a marked man for going after my star defenceman like that. That was anything but the norm...

Coyle had nothing more coming to him than a glove to the face or a whack on the ankle or behind the knee whenever Keith could get around to it.

So by your standards, it's ok to whack someone in the ankle or behind the knee after the fact, but you can't give someone a one hander to the giblets, what's the difference?

RXB
03-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Yeah right, giving somebody a little payback facewash or ankle/knee tap is the same as a four-foot roundhouse hatchet swing into his face with your stick. Sure.

HoofedInTheChest
03-31-2016, 10:57 AM
Dear TML,

You are my favorite hockey team. Would you please do me a favor? STOP WINNING...Ty
I think Lou got your message loud and clear, i was about to take the Buds tonight but i might have to rethink that. If Sparky is in net tonight, well.....

The Toronto Maple Leafs announced Thursday that the team has recalled forwards Kasperi Kapanen and Tobias Lindberg as well as defencemen Andrew Campbell and T.J. Brennan from the Toronto Marlies. Kapanen, Lindberg and Brennan’s recalls are on an emergency basis. The club has also loaned Connor Brown, Zach Hyman, Rinat Valiev and Connor Carrick to the Marlies.

Stillriledup
03-31-2016, 12:13 PM
Would you have this same opinion if it was an Anaheim Duck?

The last 5 games are not meaningless, try again.

The CBA does not allow the league to drag their feet on hearings.

Are you saying Charlie Coyle is innocent of provoking this incident?

Do you have any more pearls of wisdom for us?

They're meaningless unless chi is in danger of missing the playoffs.

Btw, Anaheim is one of the cleanest teams out there, they don't need to do this type of stuff to win games, they skate, pass, defend, make saves and play actual hockey.

HoofedInTheChest
03-31-2016, 04:25 PM

Wrong again, Chicago is still playing for home ice advantage, and Nashville is 4 points back of Chicago for a divisional spot. Everyone is still jockeying for position, these games are far from meaningless.

Btw, Anaheim is one of the cleanest teams out there, they don't need to do this type of stuff to win games, they skate, pass, defend, make saves and play actual hockey.
..... and lose in game 7.

Stillriledup
03-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Wrong again, Chicago is still playing for home ice advantage, and Nashville is 4 points back of Chicago for a divisional spot. Everyone is still jockeying for position, these games are far from meaningless.

I'm surprised you know how to spell game 7.

Stillriledup
03-31-2016, 06:14 PM

Chi had no problem winning road games home ice means nothing at all to a team like that.

azeri98
03-31-2016, 07:30 PM

Kesler is a dirty player but other than him they are clean.

MutuelClerk
03-31-2016, 07:47 PM
Maybe being so clean and pure is part of their problems in the playoffs.

Stillriledup
04-01-2016, 02:02 AM
Kesler is a dirty player but other than him they are clean.

nothing about him is dirty. He's a great player who plays with an edge, fans of other teams hate him because he's great and he shuts down their star player and beats him.

Stillriledup
04-01-2016, 02:06 AM
Maybe being so clean and pure is part of their problems in the playoffs.

They don't have problems in the playoffs, when they lose, they lose to other great teams in really close games/serieses, they made a mistake in strategy last year in the chi series but that will be rectified this year, they have a Better club this year than last, but it's pretty hard to win cups you gotta get really lucky w injures and have a few pucks bounce your way.

HoofedInTheChest
04-01-2016, 02:23 AM
How do you plan on spinning this one?

Stillriledup
04-01-2016, 03:04 AM
What does that have to do w cheap shots and or dirty play?

HoofedInTheChest
04-01-2016, 04:36 AM
You can always count on Sparky to sewer 3 a night...
http://thenationnetwork.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/images/61/3a/article_613ac78f-57eb-4c7f-9551-846faafe3559.jpg

azeri98
04-02-2016, 01:30 PM
nothing about him is dirty. He's a great player who plays with an edge, fans of other teams hate him because he's great and he shuts down their star player and beats him.

I don't hate him, I would like to have a guy like that on my team but he does cross the line sometimes with cheapshots.

cj
04-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Incredible season for Holtby, within one of Brodeur's single season record for wins.

HoofedInTheChest
04-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Incredible season for Holtby, within one of Brodeur's single season record for wins.
Are you sure about that? :lol:

Just messin with ya, he definitely deserves consideration for the Hart trophy.

cj
04-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Are you sure about that? :lol:

Just messin with ya, he definitely deserves consideration for the Hart trophy.

This one I am sure :)

ldiatone
04-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Hart for Crosby Vezina Holtby
pens in playoffs win over NYI 5-0. first shout out for the nyi in this new building. some complaints ice is not so good.
OBTW kessel another goal...

OTM Al
04-04-2016, 04:24 PM
This trade could end up mattering as the Isles just called up the goaltender they got in this trade as an emergency backup for Greiss who has been very shaky since becoming the main guy. He was 18-6-3 and had played around 40% of the games when Halak went down and now he looks completely off. Sports just don't make a lot of sense sometimes. I have no idea where this team's scoring has gone. Should still make the playoffs but season has been a bit of a disappointment.

ldiatone
04-04-2016, 04:58 PM
This trade could end up mattering as the Isles just called up the goaltender they got in this trade as an emergency backup for Greiss who has been very shaky since becoming the main guy. He was 18-6-3 and had played around 40% of the games when Halak went down and now he looks completely off. Sports just don't make a lot of sense sometimes. I have no idea where this team's scoring has gone. Should still make the playoffs but season has been a bit of a disappointment.
only one small breather in last 5 games buf.

HoofedInTheChest
04-04-2016, 05:19 PM
I feel for you Al, your boys are looking mediocre these days and i wouldn’t have a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. Every team hits a ditch during the regular season, but it’s a whole new season come April 13th, let’s just hope they can turn it around.

Those 5 players were a dump to make room for the incoming PTO veterans this season, teams are allowed to have 50 pro contracts, and the Leafs were at the threshold before the trade. As far as the 5 prospects you got in return, none of them are particularly high-end, and all are holdovers from the previous regime. I was a bit surprised that they included Christopher Gibson, he had decent numbers with the Marlies and Solar Bears, and the Leafs don’t exactly have a lot of depth in goal.

Beck, 24, played in 62 NHL games last season with Nashville (eight goals, eight assists), and was Nashville’s third-round pick (70th) overall in 2009.

Finn was a Leafs second-round pick (35th overall) in 2012, and spent last season with the Marlies. The 21-year-old Toronto native had a goal and two assists in 28 AHL games. Finn starred with the 2013-14 Guelph Storm, leading them to the OHL championship and a league-best plus-57 mark.

Gibson, 22, and a native of Karkkila, Finland, played in 45 games with the Marlies last season, posting a 24-17-3 record with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage. The Los Angeles Kings drafted Gibson in the second round (49th overall) in 2011.

Nilsson, 22, played in 44 AHL games with the Marlies last season during his first year in North America. The defenceman from Mora, Sweden, was Toronto’s fourth-round pick (100th overall) in the 2011 draft.

Verhaeghe, a 20-year-old forward from Toronto, was captain of the Niagara IceDogs of in the OHL last season. The Maple Leafs’ third-round (82nd overall) pick in the 2013 draft, Verhaeghe won gold with Team Canada at the 2013 under-18 world junior championships.

In my opinion, Grabner is a waste of a roster spot, the guy skates like the wind but has hands of stone and doesn’t bring much else to the table. Go take a lap...

OTM Al
04-05-2016, 11:30 AM
I feel for you Al, your boys are looking mediocre these days and i wouldn’t have a lot of confidence going into the playoffs. Every team hits a ditch during the regular season, but it’s a whole new season come April 13th, let’s just hope they can turn it around.

Those 5 players were a dump to make room for the incoming PTO veterans this season, teams are allowed to have 50 pro contracts, and the Leafs were at the threshold before the trade. As far as the 5 prospects you got in return, none of them are particularly high-end, and all are holdovers from the previous regime. I was a bit surprised that they included Christopher Gibson, he had decent numbers with the Marlies and Solar Bears, and the Leafs don’t exactly have a lot of depth in goal.

Beck, 24, played in 62 NHL games last season with Nashville (eight goals, eight assists), and was Nashville’s third-round pick (70th) overall in 2009.

Finn was a Leafs second-round pick (35th overall) in 2012, and spent last season with the Marlies. The 21-year-old Toronto native had a goal and two assists in 28 AHL games. Finn starred with the 2013-14 Guelph Storm, leading them to the OHL championship and a league-best plus-57 mark.

Gibson, 22, and a native of Karkkila, Finland, played in 45 games with the Marlies last season, posting a 24-17-3 record with a 2.42 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage. The Los Angeles Kings drafted Gibson in the second round (49th overall) in 2011.

Nilsson, 22, played in 44 AHL games with the Marlies last season during his first year in North America. The defenceman from Mora, Sweden, was Toronto’s fourth-round pick (100th overall) in the 2011 draft.

Verhaeghe, a 20-year-old forward from Toronto, was captain of the Niagara IceDogs of in the OHL last season. The Maple Leafs’ third-round (82nd overall) pick in the 2013 draft, Verhaeghe won gold with Team Canada at the 2013 under-18 world junior championships.

In my opinion, Grabner is a waste of a roster spot, the guy skates like the wind but has hands of stone and doesn’t bring much else to the table. Go take a lap...

Hey, at least Grabner made it through the full season. I think the coach is in jeopardy right now as he pulled out the final stop yesterday and called out players by name. Guess it worked as they looked very good last night other than that late 2nd period goal. They finish with the top wildcard, they can do some damage against the Atlantic teams and reasonably can make it to conference finals as none of those teams are playing as well as the Metro teams. They have the talent although losing Hamonic again right before the playoffs and now maybe deHaan as well hurts badly. Keep up that intensity, they can beat Washington tonight as that team is scuffling a bit and has looked sloppy between the blue lines the last few times I've seen them.

ldiatone
04-05-2016, 04:15 PM
Defenseman Brady Skjei was recalled by the New York Rangers from Hartford of the American Hockey League on Tuesday.

Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh sustained an upper-body injury in the first period of the Rangers' game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday and did not return. Coach Alain Vigneault said after the game that McDonagh would be re-evaluated Tuesday.

OTM Al
04-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Defenseman Brady Skjei was recalled by the New York Rangers from Hartford of the American Hockey League on Tuesday.

Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh sustained an upper-body injury in the first period of the Rangers' game against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday and did not return. Coach Alain Vigneault said after the game that McDonagh would be re-evaluated Tuesday.
Looked like he may have broken hand or wrist. Blocked a shot that got through the padding on his glove.