PDA

View Full Version : Three Suggestions for this Forum

barn32
07-19-2015, 08:44 PM
These are only suggestions

1. The ability to post a chart/graph/photo and size it properly so that it doesn't co-opt the entire page. When I post a chart I go to Tiny-Pic, size it there, and then copy and paste it into the post. It's a minor pain, but it works.

2. When clicking on the little icon that is supposed to take you to the next unread post--have it actually takes you to the next unread post. It only works about 20% of the time for me. I'll often have to scroll back an entire page to get to the last post that I actually read.

On other forums I frequent this works 100% of the time.

3. New forum suggestion: Off Topic-Politics.

That's all I can think of for now.

ManU918
07-19-2015, 09:01 PM

1. The ability to post a chart/graph/photo and size it properly so that it doesn't co-opt the entire page. When I post a chart I go to Tiny-Pic, size it there, and then copy and paste it into the post. It's a minor pain, but it works.

2. When clicking on the little icon that is supposed to take you to the next unread post--have it actually takes you to the next unread post. It only works about 20% of the time for me. I'll often have to scroll back an entire page to get to the last post that I actually read.

Update the software to support multi-quoting.

TJDave
07-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Delete the religious thread.

zico20
07-19-2015, 09:43 PM

Do you not like Boxcar? :D

098poi
07-19-2015, 09:52 PM
More ads like this!

elysiantraveller
07-19-2015, 10:03 PM

My bad on the 1st one.

Greyfox
07-19-2015, 10:38 PM

You read it, have "a thing" about boxcar and have posted drive-by pot shot remarks , sometimes with apparent hatred, there.
So much so, that you're credibility as being interested in religion or religiosity or any concepts to be discussed related to whether or not there is a God, has diminished, in my opinion.
That is unfortunate, because you TJDave have a knowledge and intelligence of some important Jewish and Christian religious concepts, that is apparent in the minimal amount that you post.
It is also sad that you have been soured on the posts in that thread, whether you agree with them or not.
Sincerely TJDave, get over your bitterness about whatever is nipping your arse hairs and offer your knowledge to that thread.

I know that you have it. Share it.

Greyfox

sammy the sage
07-19-2015, 10:54 PM
a forum for Jockey discussions

a forum for Trainer discussions

yes I realize most threads will be endless babble about how bad all are...but there are a FEW SHINING stars...ie...poster's...who are sharp enough and in the know enough to post some ENLIGHTENED comments...think it might be worth...or one can always shell out THE dough to Ed Bain or Thorograph or other to get actual figures...

But it would give the PA more hits....eyeballs......

johnhannibalsmith
07-20-2015, 02:17 AM
Reset SRUs post count.

Augenj
07-20-2015, 05:32 AM
Reset SRUs post count.
:D

ManU918
07-20-2015, 05:59 AM
More ads like this!

LOL The ads on this site are based off of behavioral targeting. The only way someone would get an ad like that is if they have visited that sort of site.

tucker6
07-20-2015, 07:28 AM
LOL The ads on this site are based off of behavioral targeting. The only way someone would get an ad like that is if they have visited that sort of site.
Simply NOT true. The lol is on you.

Greyfox
07-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Correct. :ThmbUp:
I keep getting offers to meet Russian women and I've never visited any site like that or anything remotely similar.

EMD4ME
07-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Eliminate trolls, one at a time.

Have ADDITIONAL people in racing create threads (forgive me if that has been done before) and interact with posters. I love listening to Mountainman, VIC, TLG, Ruffian and many other 'insiders'.

I don't mind the ads LOL, they brighten the site up ;)

ManU918
07-20-2015, 09:30 AM

The lol is not on me. That banner space is used for behavioral targeting. PA does not sell those spots to specific businesses and keep them up for a contracted period of time. It's all behavioral targeting based on your Google keywords.

PaceAdvantage
07-20-2015, 09:51 AM
The lol is not on me. That banner space is used for behavioral targeting. PA does not sell those spots to specific businesses and keep them up for a contracted period of time. It's all behavioral targeting based on your Google keywords.This is true. The google ads (and about 70% of the ads at the moment are google-based) are targeted based on keywords, past searches, browsing history, etc.

They are also based on the content of the page they are being displayed on.

PaceAdvantage
07-20-2015, 09:52 AM
Off Topic-General was basically created as a politics forum. That's why there are other separate off-topic sections, such as sports, trading, etc.

Considering off-topic general is dominated by politics, it's basically serving the function it was intended to...

PaceAdvantage
07-20-2015, 10:06 AM
I've never had a problem with the last unread post coming up.

However, if you log out of the board before you finish your unread posts, then the "last visited" date and time will be reset and that's what the "unread" posts logic uses to figure out what posts are unread. It will only show you unread posts since your last visit.

In addition, if you don't log out, BUT you are idle for over 2 hours, the last visit time will be reset as if you logged out.

So I suspect that is why your unread posts function doesn't appear to be working at times.

Hoping this will be addressed with a board update.

ManU918
07-20-2015, 10:39 AM

LOL is on you.

Dave Schwartz
07-20-2015, 10:58 AM

They've come a long way.

It ALSO targets words found on the page and profiles of people LIKE you.

That is why friends of mine who have never been interested in marketing get ads for marketing materials on Facebook: because they are friends of mine that I communicate with often.

My guess would be that a lot of horse players surf for things related to "Fine Chinese Ladies" or whatever. It would not surprise me if this post I am making right now did not garner me a lot of Chinese Lady ads.

LOL

ManU918
07-20-2015, 11:07 AM
They've come a long way.

It ALSO targets words found on the page and profiles of people LIKE you.

That is why friends of mine who have never been interested in marketing get ads for marketing materials on Facebook: because they are friends of mine that I communicate with often.

My guess would be that a lot of horse players surf for things related to "Fine Chinese Ladies" or whatever. It would not surprise me if this post I am making right now did not garner me a lot of Chinese Lady ads.

LOL

I have a degree in marketing, digital marketing and I'm Google certified so I'm not going to get into a marketing shouting match with you. When I log onto this site all of the ads are targeted towards my keyword searches on Google and have nothing to do with what other horseplayers are searching. I've never come to PA and had banners for asians of russians on the top or right of my pages.

Steve 'StatMan'
07-20-2015, 12:10 PM
As for that Religion thread, I recommend not reading it if it bothers you. I gave up reading it over a year ago (maybe two if that's possible!) and am glad I did.

EDIT: Yes, it is possible, the thread turns 4 years old on Oct 9th. No one particular reason, just couldn't stand the thread anymore myself, but that's just me.

Tom
07-20-2015, 12:15 PM
if-UzXIQ5vw

Marshall Bennett
07-20-2015, 12:20 PM
I say leave it. It's gathered a huge amount of posts and some of it's interesting, although I've only posted there a few times. I check it at the end of the day to see what's up. Often they veer off into astronomy which is an old hobby of mine. :cool:

Steve 'StatMan'
07-20-2015, 12:32 PM
if-UzXIQ5vw

Thanks Tom! That was interesting for sure.

It is a struggle, of varying intensities, for sure. Mankind has definitely disappointed me, and if God ends up not being real, then it is only more of Mankind letting me down. Has still been the better overall path either way in my view. And no, folks, I don't want to talk about it any more right now.

Many great individual people and some groups too, but the anonymous masses are the downfall.

thaskalos
07-20-2015, 01:45 PM
I have a degree in marketing, digital marketing and I'm Google certified so I'm not going to get into a marketing shouting match with you. When I log onto this site all of the ads are targeted towards my keyword searches on Google and have nothing to do with what other horseplayers are searching. I've never come to PA and had banners for asians of russians on the top or right of my pages.
I have never revealed my real age when I surf the web...nor do I search online advertising a wish to be some young lady's "sugar daddy". And yet...I now find ads here informing me of the existence of attractive young women, who would just "LOVE" to be in the company of an "older man" like me. What have I done to deserve this sudden popularity among young beautiful women?

LottaKash
07-20-2015, 02:13 PM
What have I done to deserve this sudden popularity among young beautiful women?

They must have found out that you are a "rich sporting horseplayer".....And a Greek at that, how mysterious and intriguing is that ?.. :cool:

thaskalos
07-20-2015, 03:24 PM
They must have found out that you are a "rich sporting horseplayer".....And a Greek at that, how mysterious and intriguing is that ?.. :cool:
Gee, Kash...if only you were a little younger. :)

whodoyoulike
07-20-2015, 03:33 PM
LOL is on you.

The LOL may be on a lot of us. I quickly read it as a site for MEN in their 70's.

boxcar
07-20-2015, 05:02 PM

I thought of one: Off-Topic Religious. :D :D

098poi
07-20-2015, 05:53 PM
I'll admit I have been to "Adult" websites. I clear my history and cookies regularly though. I go to Yahoo, AOL, Facebook and the like. PGATour, CNN, Fox and of course PA. I can't for the life of me figure which site is frequented by "older" men.Hmmm :rolleyes:

tucker6
07-20-2015, 06:16 PM
LOL is on you.
Okay smart guy, then how do you explain the fact that I get those ads but don't visit any site that even remotely suggests this?? And save me the sarcastic comment that I know you'll want to post. My question is serious.

Tom
07-20-2015, 08:38 PM
I can't for the life of me figure which site is frequented by "older" men.Hmmm

Me neither, sonny! :D

Augenj
07-20-2015, 08:46 PM
Okay smart guy, then how do you explain the fact that I get those ads but don't visit any site that even remotely suggests this?? And save me the sarcastic comment that I know you'll want to post. My question is serious.
I know it's hard to believe :eek: , but the Google algorithms are not perfect. It wouldn't be the first time people have been served up ads that are way off target.

Rookies
07-21-2015, 06:56 PM

Correcto, sir!

I find it creepy that I no sooner check out an aspect of Ireland, than I have a rush of ads here/ FB targeting me for the Top 10 things to see in Dublin.

tucker6
07-22-2015, 09:23 AM
I know it's hard to believe :eek: , but the Google algorithms are not perfect. It wouldn't be the first time people have been served up ads that are way off target.
I don't think it a coincidence that PaceAdvantage is the only site where these particular ads appear for me. Certainly, google has ads on my computer all the time based on my viewing habits, but not all. At this very moment, I am seeing ads on my screen that have nothing to do with my life.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2015, 09:29 AM
I don't think it a coincidence that PaceAdvantage is the only site where these particular ads appear for me. Certainly, google has ads on my computer all the time based on my viewing habits, but not all. At this very moment, I am seeing ads on my screen that have nothing to do with my life.I see ads all the time that directly relate to my recent searches and sites I've visited.

tucker6
07-22-2015, 10:00 AM
I see ads all the time that directly relate to my recent searches and sites I've visited.
I do as well, but not all of them follow from my prior searches. That was my only point.

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2015, 10:10 AM
I do as well, but not all of them follow from my prior searches. That was my only point.Totally agree.

Instead of complaining about them, I wish more of you guys would do me a solid and actually click on one every now and then... :lol:

(That wasn't directed at you necessarily...I have no idea if you do or not... :lol: )

johnhannibalsmith
07-22-2015, 10:51 AM
I liked it better before they got so half-baked smart and I just saw random crap. Fact is, by the time I've googled it and then it appears on my ads, I probably already own whatever it is. I may be in the minority but I don't do a lot of browsing online for things I might buy that can then inundate me with impulses to order it or go buy it. I google to see where it is sold and for how much and then I buy it. Then I get home and spend nine months being mindlessly coerced into buying it again everywhere I look which doesn't get anyone anywhere.

Grits
07-22-2015, 10:52 AM
Totally agree.

Instead of complaining about them, I wish more of you guys would do me a solid and actually click on one every now and then... :lol:

(That wasn't directed at you necessarily...I have no idea if you do or not... :lol: )

NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT! I have not complained to you about all the vexing Russian and Asian women that are extending invitations to me, daily. As far as my searches? NO, its not so. I've never sought these women online, or anywhere else. I've never had a week for girls. Frankly, I've never even had a moment desiring girls. ... That is all. :lol:

This one is appearing, currently. Truth be told, it's worse. It's a bigger hustle than what the girls are offering. :rolleyes:

Winning Horse Racing Picks.
100% Money Back Guarantee.

proximity
07-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Russian girls, Asian girls, and billy graham (reverend, not superstar) have been coming up for me. :)

PaceAdvantage
07-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Bill Graham? Never saw that one...where HAVE you been surfing? :lol:

proximity
07-22-2015, 11:24 AM
Bill Graham? Never saw that one...where HAVE you been surfing? :lol:

098poi (top of page) pm'd me some sites to check out and then I went over to billy graham to repent. :D