PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Race Handicapping

QuickHorse
07-19-2015, 12:05 PM
Anyone handicapping the races at Sha Tin and Happy Valley in Hong Kong? We're in the process of providing the free data for those two tracks in our QuickHorse program. Have we provided "a solution in search of a problem"?

Thanks,
Mike

JimG
07-19-2015, 12:56 PM
Anyone handicapping the races at Sha Tin and Happy Valley in Hong Kong? We're in the process of providing the free data for those two tracks in our QuickHorse program. Have we provided "a solution in search of a problem"?

Thanks,
Mike

Mike,

I think that sounds forward thinking. Best of luck. The more international racing we could handicap, the better.

Jim

Wiley
07-20-2015, 10:33 AM
I've been playing Happy Valley since my ADW started carrying it earlier this year. Sha Tin on occasion, but harder for me given the race times.

Love the presentation for the races, perfect for a simulcast player. Great, long views of the horses in the paddock and prep before the races. Good information usually from the broadcasters as well. It would be nice if many American tracks followed their practice over here in my opinion.

I am mainly just using appearance, trip, class and form cycles to handicap. I will also watch for how the track appears to be playing and the race pace set up as best I can with the limited information in the PP's, just use the pretty sparse PP's free from my ADW.

One issue I find interesting, is the huge weight difference between runners in each race, something you rarely see here in the states anymore.

Love the huge pools and full fields and it is not hard to find value plays in almost every race on a card.

maddog42
07-20-2015, 10:39 AM
I have been reluctant to bump heads with the largest (super whales) in the world. Benter and other super sophisticated teams. Their product is excellent and their commitment to honest racing makes it appealing. Only the late hours are inconvenient.

Wiley
07-20-2015, 11:20 AM
I have been reluctant to bump heads with the largest (super whales) in the world. Benter and other super sophisticated teams.
I am sure these guys are in the pools, but I think there is also a lot of less sophisticated money in their pools as well. It is also cool to see the track packed with people in what looks like a great party environment most of the time, at least at Happy Valley as it is night racing.

There are odds fluctuations, but they don't seem as drastic as in the states, probably helped by the large betting pools.

I have hit more 20 to 50 - 1 shot winners in HK in maybe 12 to 15 race days, than I have even thought about hitting over the last 5 or 6 years here in the states.

Hoofless_Wonder
07-22-2015, 05:48 AM
Love Hong Kong racing. My wagers this year at Sha Tin are up 10 times over last year when it was finally brought back after 7 or 8 years. It's now 25% of my total horse racing handle and rising. As a recreational player, there's no doubt in my mind I get the best bang for the buck on the Hong Kong circuit.

There seems to be very little in the way of commercial handicapping or selection products available for Hong Kong. There is quite a bit of information on the HKJC website if one digs through it, but it's cumbersome. Since Hong Kong is now in their summer break until September 6th, I was thinking of writing some tools to make the info gathering a bit easier.

I'm not familiar with the QuickHorse product, but I'll be first in line to try it out if you end up supporting that circuit. Feel free to PM me if you're in the need of any beta testers. To be honest, I'm not sure if it's worth your time for just a North American customer base. I haven't seen any wagering numbers since last year, but they seemed low at first, and the selection threads and other posts on PA don't indicate an overwhelming popularity.

However, if you could market your product to the residents of Hong Kong, the sky's the limit. They bet as much on one race as the whole card at Santa Anita.....

Hoofless_Wonder
07-22-2015, 05:53 AM
I am sure these guys are in the pools, but I think there is also a lot of less sophisticated money in their pools as well. It is also cool to see the track packed with people in what looks like a great party environment most of the time, at least at Happy Valley as it is night racing.

There are odds fluctuations, but they don't seem as drastic as in the states, probably helped by the large betting pools.

I have hit more 20 to 50 - 1 shot winners in HK in maybe 12 to 15 race days, than I have even thought about hitting over the last 5 or 6 years here in the states.

I'd agree that there is plenty of unsophisticated money in the pools, especially in the QP pool. Getting longshots there is definitely easier, or so it seems, then in the states. My only complaint is that the "Magic Man" (Moreira) is like Pat Day at Arlington back in the '90s, and he depresses a lot of prices and it's difficult to keep him off the board.

As for odds fluctuations, there's plenty of races where the odds drop 20 to 50% or more in the last couple of minutes - the brown lamp specials. Wagers of $250K (US) or more are not uncommon.

betovernetcapper
08-04-2015, 01:59 PM
What are you using for a data source?

QuickHorse
08-04-2015, 03:05 PM
The data from hong kong on the two tracks involved.

Mike

HuggingTheRail
08-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Loved played Hong Kong, but HPI here in Canada has not carried it for about 2 years.... another reason to hate the monopoly that HPI has....

Robert Goren
08-04-2015, 06:00 PM
I'd agree that there is plenty of unsophisticated money in the pools, especially in the QP pool. Getting longshots there is definitely easier, or so it seems, then in the states. My only complaint is that the "Magic Man" (Moreira) is like Pat Day at Arlington back in the '90s, and he depresses a lot of prices and it's difficult to keep him off the board.

As for odds fluctuations, there's plenty of races where the odds drop 20 to 50% or more in the last couple of minutes - the brown lamp specials. Wagers of $250K (US) or more are not uncommon.Welcome to the world of Internet wagering. It is same story everywhere there is pari-mutuel wagering and internet wagering are both allowed. The bigger the pools, the more late betting happens.

TonyMLake
08-04-2015, 10:39 PM

Thanks,
Mike

Will the exported data be in the same format as Brisnet Multicaps or Single data files or some other familiar format?

hyipro
08-04-2015, 11:56 PM
run a goggle on winner21 I have it on my tablet great resource for the Pacific and Asia Africa racing.

dkithore
08-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Yes.

Definitely interested in seeing data on class rating like Brisnet's, to start.

QuickHorse
08-05-2015, 10:21 AM
Will the exported data be in the same format as Brisnet Multicaps or Single data files or some other familiar format?

Tony,

We messed around with converting our data to the DRF formats, but the problem is we don't have the same calculations for items such as Bris Power, and their various other calculations, so even though we could populate most of the fields, and have, those calculations are what we've found that most want to use. Also, if those FREE Programs are what users want to use, we've found that most require the added CHECKSUM calculation (that's what my programmers call it) and we don't have that algorithm either. Its a protection that I suppose Bris expects those programs to include in order to be mentioned on its site.

A shorter answer to your question is, we've produced those DRF files and populated most of the fields but in the past users haven't found them useful enough for us to actually "advertise" them as part of QuickHorse.

Mike

raybo
08-05-2015, 03:45 PM

Thanks,
Mike

Why not post the data that will be available? If the data is enough to get a grasp on handicapping those races, why not create a comma-delimited file for each card and sell it cheap enough for people to try it out in their spreadsheets/home grown software? The ability to import and manipulate data is high on the list for serious players in North America. There is definitely a market if enough data is available and easily imported.

ebcorde
08-05-2015, 03:49 PM

Thanks,
Mike

I started playing Sha Tin this winter, I stuck primarily with the data available at the HKJC.

They don't come back till September. It would be great if they had sectional/final pace figures.

QuickHorse
08-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Why not post the data that will be available? If the data is enough to get a grasp on handicapping those races, why not create a comma-delimited file for each card and sell it cheap enough for people to try it out in their spreadsheets/home grown software? The ability to import and manipulate data is high on the list for serious players in North America. There is definitely a market if enough data is available and easily imported.

Ray,

We can review what we have. I tested it a while back using an old copy of one of those free programs which at that time didn't check to see if the DRF file came from Brisnet. I think it was an old copy of the PP Generator. There were fields missing. If there are players who've written their own programs then yes, that might be beneficial. We don't feel we have the right to charge for data, but the data is included free for a yearly subscription price to the software product which in this case would have to have the converter software added to it. Contact me if you have any specific questions as, although we are an authorized advertiser on PA, I am not sure how much more I am ethically allowed to say here.

Thanks for your points.

Mike

Pensacola Pete
08-05-2015, 06:32 PM

How cheap do you want it? Quick Horse charges $90 per year for the software and unlimited free data for all tracks for the past X years (varies by track). You can pay that much in a day for a handful of tracks for per-track files.

raybo
08-05-2015, 07:05 PM
How cheap do you want it? Quick Horse charges $90 per year for the software and unlimited free data for all tracks for the past X years (varies by track). You can pay that much in a day for a handful of tracks for per-track files.

Obviously, those who have their own homemade software are probably not interested in the QuickHorse software. But, if the data on the site was available in a comma-delimited format, they might be interested in the data files alone. $90 per year would probably be fine just for the data files. Just making suggestions that would probably increase interest among non-QuickHorse software players. Again, data manipulation is important for people who have designed their own software for US racing. Many of them would probably jump at the possibility of being able to bet those foreign tracks, if the data is good enough, and available in a file format that is easily importable into their personal apps. Comma-delimited is the standard format for such data files.

lansdale
08-05-2015, 10:07 PM
Obviously, those who have their own homemade software are probably not interested in the QuickHorse software. But, if the data on the site was available in a comma-delimited format, they might be interested in the data files alone. $90 per year would probably be fine just for the data files. Just making suggestions that would probably increase interest among non-QuickHorse software players. Again, data manipulation is important for people who have designed their own software for US racing. Many of them would probably jump at the possibility of being able to bet those foreign tracks, if the data is good enough, and available in a file format that is easily importable into their personal apps. Comma-delimited is the standard format for such data files.

Hi raybo,

Don't forget that steve b worked for Alan Woods. He doesn't post here often, but of those who post here, I would conjecture he knows vastly more about the HK racing scene, including where conveniently configured data might be found than most. Might shoot him a PM.

Best,

lansdale

TonyMLake
08-05-2015, 11:16 PM
I personally have no problem whatsoever using your power/speed/class figures, as long as they're in the appropriate corresponding field.

At least you've made the effort to get the data into a format most of us can use.

I'll enjoy seeing where you go with this.

barn32
08-06-2015, 08:40 AM
What is the drug situation in Hong Kong. Bute, Lasix, et al?

Hoofless_Wonder
08-06-2015, 02:36 PM
What is the drug situation in Hong Kong. Bute, Lasix, et al?

No race day drugs. Strictly enforced. The most closely policed circuit on the planet, IMHO.

Playing the horses there doesn't remotely resemble the "inconsistent" performances we see in North America......

FocusWiz
08-06-2015, 03:30 PM
Ray,

We can review what we have. I tested it a while back using an old copy of one of those free programs which at that time didn't check to see if the DRF file came from Brisnet. I think it was an old copy of the PP Generator. There were fields missing. If there are players who've written their own programs then yes, that might be beneficial. We don't feel we have the right to charge for data, but the data is included free for a yearly subscription price to the software product which in this case would have to have the converter software added to it. Contact me if you have any specific questions as, although we are an authorized advertiser on PA, I am not sure how much more I am ethically allowed to say here.

Thanks for your points.

MikeMike,

There have been questions in the past about exporting the data for a race from Quickhorse in one of these formats. Is it possible that the option you describe would be an added feature of the software where, in addition to using the data within QuickHorse, we could also export it and look at it in another tool we have built ourselves or have access to?

QuickHorse
08-06-2015, 03:58 PM
Mike,

There have been questions in the past about exporting the data for a race from Quickhorse in one of these formats. Is it possible that the option you describe would be an added feature of the software where, in addition to using the data within QuickHorse, we could also export it and look at it in another tool we have built ourselves or have access to?

I agree but what I am saying is I may have mis-interpreted those requests to be from users who simply wanted a cheaper way to get DRF formatted data into those FREE Programs offered by Brisnet. So, since we already knew from our testing that Brisnet had insisted that the DRF files use some sort of checksum value at the end of each line that our DRF formatted files would be of no use. What I failed to realize was that some had their own software they've written (that don't look for this checksum) so now I'll revisit our original conversion of our data to DRF formatted data to see what sort of condition that's in and of course if it has some value we'll certainly make it available to our users.

Have I helped?

Mike

whodoyoulike
08-06-2015, 04:48 PM
I agree but what I am saying is I may have mis-interpreted those requests to be from users who simply wanted a cheaper way to get DRF formatted data into those FREE Programs offered by Brisnet. So, since we already knew from our testing that Brisnet had insisted that the DRF files use some sort of checksum value at the end of each line that our DRF formatted files would be of no use. What I failed to realize was that some had their own software they've written (that don't look for this checksum) so now I'll revisit our original conversion of our data to DRF formatted data to see what sort of condition that's in and of course if it has some value we'll certainly make it available to our users.

Have I helped?

Mike

Brisnet offers FREE Programs?

Can you point me in the right direction?

I'd like to bet HK racing but, I find the PP's are difficult to use versus US PP's i.e., BRIS or DRF.

raybo
08-06-2015, 06:36 PM

Have I helped?

Mike

Exactly! There are many out here who have built handicapping software and databases, as well as lots of Excel spreadsheet users, and other brands like Open Office, that handle Brisnet formatted data files, both cards and results. I assume some, like all the AllData workbooks, can also use the JCapper files, which are in the Brisnet file format, and the "checksum" you mention does not even enter the process. Such a file that includes foreign race data, instead of North American race data would enable those people to manipulate that foreign data, rather than use it as is. Like others here, I have been interested in foreign racing for a while now, but had no interest in using static data that couldn't be manipulated easily. A delimited file of such data would be great!

raybo
08-06-2015, 06:40 PM
Brisnet offers FREE Programs?

Can you point me in the right direction?

I'd like to bet HK racing but, I find the PP's are difficult to use versus US PP's i.e., BRIS or DRF.

Yes, Brisnet has several free programs, but they all use comma-delimited data files, and those are not available for foreign tracks, to my knowledge.

Here's the link to their free software page: http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=software

whodoyoulike
08-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks, I was unaware.

steveb
08-06-2015, 09:59 PM
Hi raybo,

Don't forget that steve b worked for Alan Woods. He doesn't post here often, but of those who post here, I would conjecture he knows vastly more about the HK racing scene, including where conveniently configured data might be found than most. Might shoot him a PM.

Best,

lansdale

that is not correct lansdale.

i have NEVER worked FOR woods.
i have done stuff for them that they have paid me for, and i had talked to alan for years before i actually did anything for him, but that's about it.

i know stuff about them, because i know quite a few people that have worked(and work) for them over the years, but i would never work for anybody else myself.

as for data, i don't know where they source their data from.
but there are some very good providers out there i think.

http://www.horseracing.com.hk/data.htm

that's pretty cheap at 80 USD per season for historical data.

http://www.horseracing.com.hk/hkrj_samples_xls.zip

lots of info that would be fairly simple to do wonderful things with.

lansdale
08-07-2015, 03:15 PM
that is not correct lansdale.

i have NEVER worked FOR woods.
i have done stuff for them that they have paid me for, and i had talked to alan for years before i actually did anything for him, but that's about it.

i know stuff about them, because i know quite a few people that have worked(and work) for them over the years, but i would never work for anybody else myself.

as for data, i don't know where they source their data from.
but there are some very good providers out there i think.

http://www.horseracing.com.hk/data.htm

that's pretty cheap at 80 USD per season for historical data.

http://www.horseracing.com.hk/hkrj_samples_xls.zip

lots of info that would be fairly simple to do wonderful things with.

Hi steve,

My apologies if I mischaracterized your realtionship with Woods. It sounds as though you were more an information entrepreneur rather than employee of his. However, maybe worth adding that Woods always only worked with very high-quality people. Thanks for your recommendations re stat sources.

Cheers,

lansdale

QuickHorse
08-10-2015, 10:06 AM

Thanks,
Mike

This morning we've updated QuickHorse to now process Hong Kong Tracks - Sha Tin and Happy Valley for FREE data users only. We have no pay data imports for those tracks. Click on the link to the left of this post to go to our web page if you are new to QuickHorse and would like to try it. Or search QuickHorse on google to find us. We're now working on updating our DRF file software which creates a partial DRF file using our initial free data to populate that file. Once available we'll include a feature so that a user can convert a race program do DRF format so as to use it in the "home grown" software.

Thanks for all the feedback on the Hong Kong tracks.

Mike

TonyMLake
08-10-2015, 12:42 PM
This morning we've updated QuickHorse to now process Hong Kong Tracks - Sha Tin and Happy Valley for FREE data users only. We have no pay data imports for those tracks. Click on the link to the left of this post to go to our web page if you are new to QuickHorse and would like to try it. Or search QuickHorse on google to find us. We're now working on updating our DRF file software which creates a partial DRF file using our initial free data to populate that file. Once available we'll include a feature so that a user can convert a race program do DRF format so as to use it in the "home grown" software.

Thanks for all the feedback on the Hong Kong tracks.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Which fields will be included in the export? What will your file extension for the export be?

Thanks

QuickHorse
08-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Tony,

I will only be able to say we will populate as many fields as we can when crossing our free data into the DRF data, and it would be up to the user, via their free trial, to use the export which would be named identically to what is out there now, and see if it suited them. They could then say something like "How about populating field XXX" and we could work to improve what we have.

As previously mentioned, if you're using a FREE product distributed by Brisnet then I can almost guarantee those products will no accept our DRF file. So, this would be for homegrown software currently using the pay DRF files.

Mike

QuickHorse
08-11-2015, 12:34 PM
If anyone has a home brewed DRF file viewer to send to me that would help in testing our DRF export software.

Mike

raybo
08-11-2015, 02:40 PM
Do you mean "DRF" as in "Daily Racing Form", or as in the ".drf" Brisnet file?

If you have a post-2003 version of Excel, any comma-delimited file can be opened in it, with each field in the raw data file occupying a specific cell in Excel.

FocusWiz
08-11-2015, 02:55 PM

If you have a post-2003 version of Excel, any comma-delimited file can be opened in it, with each field in the raw data file occupying a specific cell in Excel.Ray,

I suspect Miike is more than capable of viewing the file but probably wants to ensure that the data fields are properly formatted for the tools that would be importing them.

Doesn't AllData import .drf files? I assume that by "drf" Mike is saying that QuickHorse is exporting their data into unzipped single format Brisnet files.

raybo
08-11-2015, 03:05 PM
Ray,

I suspect Miike is more than capable of viewing the file but probably wants to ensure that the data fields are properly formatted for the tools that would be importing them.

Doesn't AllData import .drf files? I assume that by "drf" Mike is saying that QuickHorse is exporting their data into unzipped single format Brisnet files.

Well, if he can already view them, and he wants to know if his export file will work, he can always download one of the free programs on the Brisnet site. I doubt his export will work in those though, due to the "checksum" mentioned earlier. Most, if not all, homegrown software don't care about that.

Yes, all the "AllData" Excel workbooks import the unzipped Brisnet single file .drf and .mcp files and the .xrd results files. They also import the JCapper data and results files, because they are mapped in the Brisnet file formats.

QuickHorse
08-11-2015, 04:27 PM

If you have a post-2003 version of Excel, any comma-delimited file can be opened in it, with each field in the raw data file occupying a specific cell in Excel.

I wasn't wanting to look at a rash of data, as I can see that simply by looking at the text file. I was just hoping someone had something that would show data in context of what it is. That's ok, we'll work something out here.

Mike

raybo
08-11-2015, 04:54 PM
I wasn't wanting to look at a rash of data, as I can see that simply by looking at the text file. I was just hoping someone had something that would show data in context of what it is. That's ok, we'll work something out here.

Mike

If it's context you want, look at the Brisnet file mapping, which tells you what data is in which fields. http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/static.cgi?page=structures

TonyMLake
08-11-2015, 07:17 PM

Mike

I'd like the opportunity to test it in my app. Will you send me one of your exported files?

Thanks

raybo
08-11-2015, 07:29 PM
I'd like the opportunity to test it in my app. Will you send me one of your exported files?

Thanks

I can also test it in my workbooks. if the data isn't in the right fields then I'll get errors in my PPs and other places that will be quite evident.

QuickHorse
08-12-2015, 09:32 AM
Once we're able to import the DRF file we've created with our PAY DATA side of QuickHorse and it looks complete, I'll publish some samples.

Mike

TonyMLake
08-16-2015, 10:29 PM
Once we're able to import the DRF file we've created with our PAY DATA side of QuickHorse and it looks complete, I'll publish some samples.

Mike

I have an in-depth desire to see this feature developed as soon as possible. Is there anything I can do to assist with getting this to market?

Thanks

QuickHorse
08-17-2015, 09:14 AM
Tony,

If you have a "home grown" software that uses the pay data files and I can use it to test our DRF file then that would help.

Our problem now is that we maintain 6 Fract times and the DRF only provide 3 plus stretch and final times, so we're having trouble reproducing the DRF with our extra fields selectively placed with the DRF for the different distances.

Put another way, when we import our DRF into QuickHorse as if it was pay data, this import doesn't produce the same data in our database as a pay DRF file does. So, we're working on finding out how the pay drf changes based on the distances.

Mike

QuickHorse
08-17-2015, 10:32 AM
Tony,

I can now send you a sample DRF file what we've composed. Let's communicate via email.

If there are others interested in doing this then please email me.

I guess to begin with we need to send a message to each other and I'll provide the email address. You can also find our address at our web site though its encoded a bit to make sure we have less spam email to the corporation.

Mike

TonyMLake
08-17-2015, 12:20 PM
Email sent via this board's "send Email" interface.

QuickHorse
08-20-2015, 01:27 PM
In support of Tony's program, we've updated QuickHorse again so that with the press of a single button onscreen you can generate as many DRF/XRD files as you wish on a per track basis. This saves tremendous time versus generating one DRF and one XRD file per button press. I hope current QuickHorse users will find value in this new feature an in Tony's program.

Mike

peteman
08-20-2015, 04:24 PM
Looking into the export feature of quick horse's free data output.
And have tried it with a few old programs,a odds gold,Mph,and Beavers
Yeast.that use a drf file.without success.I would like to find way to view
race cards outside of the Quickhorse program itself

It seems to work in Tony's, H cappers plus, and in R Giles
pace appraiser program.The quickhorse program itself
Reminds me some of a equisim template idea,to create custom methods
and track results,and has some methods ready to use.

Have not looked at any HK racing as yet.

QuickHorse
08-20-2015, 05:43 PM
Looking into the export feature of quick horse's free data output.
And have tried it with a few old programs,a odds gold,Mph,and Beavers
Yeast.that use a drf file.without success.I would like to find way to view
race cards outside of the Quickhorse program itself

It seems to work in Tony's, H cappers plus, and in R Giles
pace appraiser program.The quickhorse program itself
Reminds me some of a equisim template idea,to create custom methods
and track results,and has some methods ready to use.

Have not looked at any HK racing as yet.

I would guess then that the ones that it doesn't work with are all Brisnet sponsored free programs which require the hidden data I'd written about earlier. There is no reason any product can not read the data from our DRf file as it is laid out the same as that specified in the Brisnet library. It could also be that we don't populate every field if we don't have the data, and those programs may require fields we don't have.

Mike

FocusWiz
08-20-2015, 06:01 PM
Actually, I suspect that some programs expect certain fields to always be nonzero if there is a prior race and/or that certain values will be greater than one which might not be true if the data is derived from QuickHorse. Unfortunately, figuring out what the values are and how best to resolve the issues may not be immediately obvious, especially if the program relies on something specific to BRIS for which QuickHorse does not supply an equivalent.

peteman
08-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Hi Mike,

None the less,quick horse is a pretty cool product if the export works on someone's program of choice.How could they beat the price? The j capper HDW export does not work on all programs either.it does not hurt to try.

Thanks Pete

QuickHorse
08-20-2015, 07:46 PM
Hi Mike,

None the less,quick horse is a pretty cool product if the export works on someone's program of choice.How could they beat the price? The j capper HDW export does not work on all programs either.it does not hurt to try.

Thanks Pete

I can't fault your logic there! :)

Mike

QuickHorse
08-21-2015, 12:56 PM
All,

Now that our DRF/XRD export is available, if there are "home brew" software developers who would like to received some sample files to test, just let me know the track, and a date range and send me an email address using Pace Advantage private messages. I know you probably don't want to download QuickHorse and have to spend time hunting for the feature without knowing if it will work for you.

Mike

QuickHorse
08-26-2015, 04:16 PM
Doesn't appear as if the product "Equisim" will use our DRF files. I've written to the provider but no word back. So cross that one off the list of commercial products that can use our FREE DRF files. It should work quite well in all homebrewed products however.

Mike