PDA

View Full Version : Belmont: Saturday, July 18

Teach
07-18-2015, 11:17 AM
Race One:

7 Bred to Boss gets my tepid nod in this maiden-claiming route. My thinking: this Street Cry-bred chestnut is one of the few horses in this field who I believe can get the one-mile distance (some of the others in this field – I have my doubts). In addition, I like the switch from turf to dirt. I also like the down 2+ classes. Further, I like this horse’s pilot: Luis Saez. Senor Saez has booted home a winner in each of the last two days; during that time, he’s hit the board on six occasions. Finally, Saez represents a significant jockey improvement over the middle- to lower-tier jocks who’ve been riding this horse. My only concern is that the horse’s conditioner, Doodnauth Shivmangel, is not exactly having a stellar meet. He will need to “get off the schneid”. Yet, in my opinion, this horse stands out, at least class-wise. I believe this 5-year old has dropped to a level that will give him a maiden-breaking shot.
Others: 1, 6, 5.

Race Two:
1 First Bid is a well-bred, classy gelding who sold for 180k at Keeneland a few years ago. I think this Street Sense-bred is in play here in today’s maiden-claiming route. First, I like the choice of jockey, Irad Ortiz, Jr. Secondly, I like the sprint-to-route angle; this A.P. Indy-bred should enjoy the stretch out. Also, this 4-year-old draws the rail; I think that’s another plus. In his 11-race career, this gelding has won three times; two of those were routes. This gelding’s trainer, Rudy Rodriguez, does very well with horses going from sprints to routes. I believe this is a good spot for this gelding to notch his fourth career win.
Others: 7, 4, 3

Race Three:
4 Empire Dreams is my choice in this non-graded New York state-bred stakes, The Saginaw, on the main at one mile and one-sixteenth. This A.P. Indy-bred has been, by far and large, a model of consistency in these state-bred stakes. Lifetime, this gelding has hit the tote in 10 out of 13 tries; he’s one-for-one at the distance. The only caveat is the fact that is 4-year-old has been away from the races for nearly two months. In addition, I must admit this gelding’s morning work-tab has been nothing to write home about. Yet, having said all this, I still believe that the gelding can prevail in this short-field event. Jockey Javier Castellano reprises the ride for trainer Tom Albertrani.
Others: 2, 3

Race Four:
1 War Hero is my pick in this claiming sprint. This Cherokee Run-bred gelding is one of those “all-or-nothing” types who either wins, or he doesn’t hit the tote. I believe this 5-year-old is coming up to one of those “all” situations and, I might add, quite possibly at (pause) “a price”. A little over a month ago this Posse-bred was claimed out of the Eddie Kenneally barn by Joe Sharp for Team Dunn. A win at first-asking for his new connections? By the way, trainer Sharp does very well in most racing categories. He does especially well with beaten favorites and first starts after a claim. This gelding should benefit from the rail and will likely be in a good stalking position for a late, surging drive. “The Bug,” Eric Cancel, is in the irons.
Others: 10, 8, 3

Race Five:
10 Tap Smartly. Before you say: “Tu sei pazzo!” Before you utter: “Abuelo loco!” Before you look at me, shake your head, and say: “Groisseh Meshugenah!”… Here’s my thinking. This is, in my opinion, a wide-open race. This gelding has a chance. A flickering chance. Yet, a chance -- at a price (wouldn’t it be nice to have one of the few “live” tickets in the humungous Pick-6). This 4-year-old must have been very well thought of to go for 190k at Fasig-Tipton a few years ago. This Smart Strike-bred’s connections have brought this horse along very slowly; only two races, both occurring in the late-summer and fall of last year at Laurel. One of those races was on the lawn. In that one, his first pari-mutuel start, this gelding didn’t do too badly; he finished fourth in a field of nine; he drew the tough #9 outside starting post. All I can say is that this “shipper” has a shot. There is turf pedigree. “The Preacher,” Leah Gyarmati, is the horse’s trainer. Trainer Gyarmati does reasonably well with horses that have been away from the track for prolonged periods of time. Angel Arroyo – he’s been picking up the pace, lately – is in the irons.
Others: 11, 7, 3

Race Six:
The Chester and Mary Broman Sr entry is my choice in the non-graded New York State-bred stakes, the Rockville Centre, on the main at six furlongs. Yes, I like 1/1A, Manipulated, Spin Cycle. My preference of the two entry-mates is: 1A Spin Cycle. I like this colt’s sharp recent work. I also like the fact that The Hall-of-Famer, “Johnny V.,” is in the stirrups. John Kimmel’s a solid trainer who does reasonably well with first-time starters. This colt has a chance of winning at first asking.
Others: 6, 2, 3

Race Seven:
1 Transcend ships in from Woodbine after finishing second last November in a race that was taken off the turf and run on the main. This Ride the Rails-bred should enjoy the slight cut-back to eight panels. This Candy Ride-bred has hit the tote in half of his twelve turf starts. Trainer Brian Lynch does an excellent job with horses that were beaten favorites; he also does very well with shippers. This gelding should benefit from his inside starting post on The Widener. Manny Franco is in the irons.
Others: 8, 9, 7

Race Eight:
10 Dekalb County is my pick in this 7-furlong allowance. This Malibu Moon-bred ridgling has won two straight. This horse has the support of the most capable duo of jockey John Velazquez and trainer Todd Pletcher. This ridgling appears to love the Belmont racing surface, 2 for 2. The ½ panel stretch-out from this horse’s last race should not pose any problems. Trainer Pletcher’s excellent in most racing categories. He does particularly well with hoprses who went off as the favorite in their last race. This horse’s most recent work was very good.
Others: 3, 2, 1
Race Nine:
6 Champagne Ruby is my off-the-wall, longshot try in this New York state-breds optional claiming sprint. It happened once before: the niece-aunt combo prevailed. Can it happen, again? I think there’s a chance. I’m talkin’ about jockey Taylor Rice and trainer Linda Rice. This 4-year-old Forty Niner-bred filly has a shot against these. The filly could do nothing in her last back in March on a muddy track. Well, this chestnut distaffer has been given a more than four-month hiatus. That might just do the trick. Trainer Rice does well with horses entered in sprints. The filly’s morning work-tab has been good. Wake Up Call? At a price…
Others: 8, 9, 7

Race Ten:
4 Splendid Gold is my pick in the finale, a 40k maiden-claiming turf sprint. This Mineshaft-bred filly got hooked in a speed duel in her last and faded to sixth. This 3-year-old now drops in for a tag; I believe this greatly enhances her chances of having her picture taken. The veteran reinsman, Cornelio Velasquez, is in the irons. Trainer Linda Rice does very well with beaten favorites. Trainer Rice also has a record with horses who have been away from the races (in this case, since late May) and with horses going from maiden-specials to maiden claiming.
Others: 9, 8, 3

spicytomato
07-18-2015, 11:19 AM
thx for posting

and making the letters big enough to read :D

:ThmbUp:

lamboy
07-18-2015, 11:32 AM
fyi, was driving past Belmont around 9am and it was pouring for about 40 minutes

Robert Fischer
07-18-2015, 02:21 PM
I like your Empire Dreams in the Saginaw r4.

Saratoga Snacks could win, but I thought he may have showed a decline in form.

:4::1::5: all interesting to me