PDA

View Full Version : The Eddie Read at Del Mar - Selections

grandstander21
07-17-2015, 05:52 PM
Tomorrow is the Grade 1 $400,000 Eddie Read Handicap at Del Mar and we have a good field. Unfortunately, there are rain and thunderstorms in the forecast for Saturday (http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/del-mar-ca/92014/daily-weather-forecast/332098?day=2) so there's a likely chance we could get a wet turf course. Hopefully it'll be dry, but let's dig deep into this field of seven for tomorrow. (please note, I used TimeformUS PPs to handicap this race)

I really like Finnegans Wake in here. You can throw out that last race in the SA Gold Cup as that was a dirt race, and he is more of a turf horse. In fact, all of his seven wins came on the grass. Earlier this year, he won a couple of grade 2 races at Santa Anita and won the G1 Woodford Reserve Turf Classic on the Kentucky Derby undercard.

I'm going with Midnight Storm for second. He was runner-up in the Shoemaker Mile in Sth. California and he won the Del Mar Derby last year so he has experience over the course.

Power Ped ran third in the G2 San Gabriel and G2 San Marcos, two races in which Finnegans Wake had won. It's unfortunate that he has to face him again, but he's shown he can compete with this kind of company.

For last I'll go with Twentytwentyvision. This is his graded stakes debut. He's won a couple of allowance races at Santa Anita in the spring, but this is a big step in class for him.

MY SELECTIONS
:7: Finnegans Wake
:3: Midnight Storm
:4: Power Ped
:1: Twentytwentyvision

Post time for the Eddie Read is 6:42pm ET/3:42pm PT. Good luck! :)

letswastemoney
07-17-2015, 06:29 PM
Nearly impossible race without knowing whether Midnight Storm will duel Big Cazanova or take back.

If Midnight Storm duels Big Cazanova, who is not going to rate, Finnegans Wake will win easily. It might be a little harder if that doesn't happen.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-18-2015, 12:01 AM
Never been all that impressed with Finnegans Wake. He beat some weak fields at SA on turf that were the same old same olds time in and time out. He is still only 7 for 31 lifetime even after winning 4 of 5 races from November to May.

The :2: Gabriel Charles piques my interest the most. Lightly raced in 2015 and likely pointed towards this one for a big time effort. He has won at this track and distance before and gets Mike Smith that has rode him very well in the past. ML is 5/1, but I think we can get him at 7/1 or better.

BlueChip@DRF
07-18-2015, 08:49 AM
:4: Power Ped

Tor Ekman
07-18-2015, 09:54 AM
The :2: Gabriel Charles piques my interest the most. Lightly raced in 2015 and likely pointed towards this one for a big time effort. He has won at this track and distance before and gets Mike Smith that has rode him very well in the past. ML is 5/1, but I think we can get him at 7/1 or better.
+1
:ThmbUp:

Inglewood Flamingo
07-18-2015, 10:30 AM
I live just a stones throw from the track, and while we only got about a half hour of rain, we had more thunder and lightning than I've experienced in the last decade here.

I'm more concerned with how that may impact the horses running today.

grandstander21
07-18-2015, 12:17 PM
Never been all that impressed with Finnegans Wake. He beat some weak fields at SA on turf that were the same old same olds time in and time out. He is still only 7 for 31 lifetime even after winning 4 of 5 races from November to May.

I see what you mean about Finnegans Wake, but 14 of his races have been contested on either a dry or wet main track hence his 7-for-31 record. He's better on turf. Plus, his current turf form is great.

Gabriel Charles may need a little bit more time to develop into the races. He's unraced in 2014 and ran second against allowance company (Midnight Storm was the winner that day). He finished third in the G3 American and this is a tough spot just third off the year-layoff.

grandstander21
07-18-2015, 12:19 PM
I live just a stones throw from the track, and while we only got about a half hour of rain, we had more thunder and lightning than I've experienced in the last decade here.

I'm more concerned with how that may impact the horses running today.
Thanks for the weather report. I'll rely on you for weather updates until the first post. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

raybo
07-18-2015, 12:48 PM
My PFV (Power Form Velocities) ranked selections, without regard to value: :3: :7: :2:

Inglewood Flamingo
07-18-2015, 01:02 PM
Overcast with sunny peeking through at times, a cool 79 with slight humidity at 60%.
A gorgeous day for racing.

Ocala Mike
07-18-2015, 02:47 PM
Giving a big shot to the :1: . See him tripsitting in 3rd behind the :3: and :5:, who will hopefully mix it up in the front.

raybo
07-18-2015, 03:12 PM
Giving a big shot to the :1: . See him tripsitting in 3rd behind the :3: and :5:, who will hopefully mix it up in the front.

I think Big Casanova gets the lead without being too pressured (turf race) but don't think he can hold on to the wire. Hoping the 2 steps up at the end! My other 2 contenders won't pay anything.

Inglewood Flamingo
07-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Boy how things change quickly. Steady rain, thunder and overcast will likely be off the turf if not already.

raybo
07-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Boy how things change quickly. Steady rain, thunder and overcast will likely be off the turf if not already.

Yeah, with a 60% chance, per the earlier forecast, I figured they would be "off the turf" today. That will change things, and that would favor Big Casanova and Finnegan's Wake. Although I have a feeling Finnegan's Wake needs a breather, and Big Casanova might not have what it takes to last, especially if he gets some pressure early from Midnight Storm, if he doesn't scratch. Probably will pass this race if it comes off the turf.

Fingal
07-18-2015, 05:02 PM
There's a picture on Paulick's site where they're sealing the track at Del Mar. I'll bet that hasn't happened in eons.

Some_One
07-18-2015, 06:32 PM
2nd wettest July day since 1850 in SD I've read. Guess it's the remains of a hurricane system that came on shore, still a bit crazy.

No surprise at the action on :2: :3:

Think there is hidden value on :7: / :1: :5:

jettroofer
07-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Don't laugh at me......Gate to Wire with the :5: . I think he holds.

Tee
07-18-2015, 06:43 PM
:1: Should get the benefit of a great trip imo. How good he is against this group is the key question & the 11/1 price.

Some_One
07-18-2015, 06:49 PM
big performance by the :2: , hmm many times previously suspended trainer all of a sudden is hot at marquee meet after being cold for the longest time, just saying.

raybo
07-18-2015, 06:49 PM
2!! Needed that one to run big!!

Lemon Drop Husker
07-18-2015, 06:54 PM
2!! Needed that one to run big!!

Yep!

Nice and patient ride by Smith as he obviously knew he had a ton of horse. Would like to see this horse stay healthy to see what he can really do.

raybo
07-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Yep!

Nice and patient ride by Smith as he obviously knew he had a ton of horse. Would like to see this horse stay healthy to see what he can really do.

Just wish we'd gotten your "7/1" though!! :lol:

Ocala Mike
07-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Nice calls with the :2: . Gave me the $93 exacta.

Lemon Drop Husker
07-18-2015, 06:59 PM
Just wish we'd gotten your "7/1" though!! :lol:

Ha! :lol:

The :3: and :7: got pounded like I figured. Problem was, they didn't bet anybody else. :(