PDA

View Full Version : Moving with pets

Valuist
07-15-2015, 06:05 PM
Anybody have experience with a long move and pets? I'm not talking about a 20 mile move but a cross country move. I know there's quite a few animal lovers on here. One dog and one cat; I don't think the airline is going to allow the dog to fly (an 11 year old pug; some airlines won't fly bulldogs or pugs because of the pushed in nose). Going to try to fly the cat and bring him on board in a carrier. I've heard people say give them a tranquilizer, and the animal has to see a vet within 10 days of the flight. The cat is finicky; it will be interesting to see if he actually ingests the tranquilizer. He absolutely could not handle a long car trip. But he's in good health. If he can be tranquilized, he should be fine (until he wakes up, which may be an issue for a 4 hour flight). The dog is ok in the car, but he's never had to make anything close to a 2000 mile ride. He takes medication for breathing issues and the trip involves going thru the Rockies so there's the altitude factor. Any words of advice?

ManU918
07-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Where you moving to?

Valuist
07-15-2015, 06:11 PM
Where you moving to?

Bay area. From Chicago area.

ManU918
07-15-2015, 06:18 PM
Bay area. From Chicago area.

Ahhhh.... I've been to Chicago... Some great bars there. I remember being at a place called VIP's until like 430AM talking to a bartender about the Phillies as what looked like monopoly money was being thrown everywhere. If you know the place I'm talking about then you will understand.

Inner Dirt
07-15-2015, 06:21 PM
I did three cross country SUV trips with an unmedicated cat. I cranked off the 2600 miles pretty fast. I let her roam free, she was drooling and puking on me on all the first days (There were gaps between the trips) day two she was almost ok, and by day 3 she was running around playing, eating, drinking, peeing and pooping (in the litter box) like everything was fine. I kept my tortoise in a cardboard box, he wasn't any trouble.

johnhannibalsmith
07-15-2015, 06:27 PM
I flew (the only time in the last 35 years) from one coast to the other commercially with the biggest cat you ever saw in your life. I was very reluctant to go this route but had some assurances and got the right "carry-on" carrier and was able to stow the cat with me at my feet. Tranquilizer worked, even on such a large cat, the duration including a stop in Atlanta on the way. Airline attendants thought it was cute and I never had a single hassle about it. I was pretty worried about the whole deal from start to finish because he just wasn't the sort of cat to handle that kind of stress, but it turned out bothering me more than him. All in all, for a nearly day-long aggravation, it was amazingly manageable. Of course this is over a decade ago so I have no idea if they've made it a bigger hassle since.

horses4courses
07-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Anybody have experience with a long move and pets? I'm not talking about a 20 mile move but a cross country move. I know there's quite a few animal lovers on here. One dog and one cat; I don't think the airline is going to allow the dog to fly (an 11 year old pug; some airlines won't fly bulldogs or pugs because of the pushed in nose). Going to try to fly the cat and bring him on board in a carrier. I've heard people say give them a tranquilizer, and the animal has to see a vet within 10 days of the flight. The cat is finicky; it will be interesting to see if he actually ingests the tranquilizer. He absolutely could not handle a long car trip. But he's in good health. If he can be tranquilized, he should be fine (until he wakes up, which may be an issue for a 4 hour flight). The dog is ok in the car, but he's never had to make anything close to a 2000 mile ride. He takes medication for breathing issues and the trip involves going thru the Rockies so there's the altitude factor. Any words of advice?

We have flown 3 cats from and back to California. Chicago was the destination, but it was over 20 years ago in 1992/93.
Also, flew a young beagle from Chicago to Ireland back in 1968.

They are probably more resilient than you think, and I would recommend tranquilizers as long as they are from a vet who knows your animal and their likely tolerance level. None of our pets ever conked out completely during the trip, but they were at least a little woosie. I can understand your reluctance with the dog flying if he has breathing issues. Looks like the car might be the answer for him - check with your vet about the altitude factor in the Rockies.
If that's a problem, drive a little further south through Oklahoma City and then head due west.
It will add a day onto your trip, but the altitude will be lower.

Giving pills to cats can be a royal pain. Some swallow them okay, others take some cajoling. You can mash them into some wet food, or have one person hold the cat while another opens it's mouth and flips the tablet in.
It's hit and miss, I know. Been there plenty of times, but always manage to
get the meds in somehow.

Good luck on your move, and with the animals :ThmbUp:

horses4courses
07-15-2015, 06:47 PM
I flew (the only time in the last 35 years) from one coast to the other commercially with the biggest cat you ever saw in your life. I was very reluctant to go this route but had some assurances and got the right "carry-on" carrier and was able to stow the cat with me at my feet. Tranquilizer worked, even on such a large cat, the duration including a stop in Atlanta on the way. Airline attendants thought it was cute and I never had a single hassle about it. I was pretty worried about the whole deal from start to finish because he just wasn't the sort of cat to handle that kind of stress, but it turned out bothering me more than him. All in all, for a nearly day-long aggravation, it was amazingly manageable. Of course this is over a decade ago so I have no idea if they've made it a bigger hassle since.

:ThmbUp:

I've know of people who have done this, too.
Carrier cases with two kittens on board a flight from Fresno to Portland.
This was a year and a half ago, and it worked fine on Southwest.
Saw pictures of those kittens recently, and they're big brutes now.

Check with airlines you might fly for carrying on a cat.
Some will facilitate this.

Inner Dirt
07-15-2015, 06:59 PM
If you're worried about the dog and altitude you could head south on 25 once you hit Denver to I-40 where the high spots are only 7500ft then head north when you hit Kingman Arizona. It probably adds 500 miles but as someone who used to live in and cut timber in high elevations as a youth, the difference between breathing at 7500 ft and the over 11,000 ft (I-70 through the Rockies) is major if you aren't used to it. The South on 25 from Denver and I-40 through New Mexico And Arizona route is a very scenic one. Also if you got the gambling itch there is Laughlin Nevada and Las Vegas when you head north.

JustRalph
07-15-2015, 07:25 PM
I would never let an airline fly my pet. ever.

I've done it a few times. Ohio to Ca. and Back. I rented an RV. Spent 3.5+ days each way. 5 cats and 2 dogs. It was a something to behold. But I took some great pictures and they all were good. It was just me for most of the trip. The wife flew to Alb. to meet on the way out. Brother in law did the same on way back.

I went from Baltimore to Dallas with two cats in my Crewmax Tundra. No drugs. Just carriers and small litter box. The wife was the animal trainer for the trip.

Don't over drug them. That can make things worse......

Overlay
07-15-2015, 08:04 PM
We had a dog (Australian Shepherd mix) that we had gotten as a puppy. We moved from California to Iowa in 1999, when he was 2 or 3. The dog made the drive cross-country with my wife and me and our two kids, but then we had to put him up at a kennel while we were staying in a motel looking for a house. After we found a house and moved in (which took about two months), we picked him up from the kennel, but his temperament had completely changed for the worse. After he made an unprovoked attack on my wife, we took him to the local animal shelter. He probably ended up being euthanized. I hated to see him go, but there was really no alternative. I wish we could have kept him at the motel, but that wasn't an option.

He looked remarkably like the dog in this video:

http://www.killsometime.com/videos/15774/Dog-Pouncing-On-Babys-Shadow

tucker6
07-15-2015, 09:09 PM
I have transported cats over the years on 13 hour car rides. The secret is to either use large dog sized cages with two cats inside to keep themselves company or let them run free. Confining a cat to a small carrier is a disaster every time. They stress themselves into hyperventilating sometimes. Cats roaming free isn't as bad as the cautions. Most of the time they sleep in the rear window, and are not stressed any longer by a moving car. Of course, every time you stop you need to put them in the carrier to prevent them escaping the car. I have seen plenty of cats on planes too, so no big deal. I have reservations about tranquilizing though. Certainly need a good vet advising you correctly.

ldiatone
07-15-2015, 09:25 PM
one other option. "Pet Airways" fly only pets. Chi is a stop. denver then LA. Vet Techs are on the flights and keep an eye on the animals. at the layovers they walk the dogs. We flew are daughters dog from pittsburgh to LA. but we had to drive to Balt. as this was the nearest hub. About 300.00. from Balt to La with stops in chi and Denver.
although my kid flew with her bird,"Love Bird"(no jokes please), from pittsburgh to La but it had to b in a box

Valuist
07-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the responses. Some interesting stories.

Inner Dirt- I was actually going to take I-80 west the entire way, which doesn't go thru Colorado. It goes thru southern Wyoming instead, then Utah. If it was just me and no older dog, I'd take 80 to the Neb/Colo border, swing over to Denver and take I-70 into Utah, then 50. That route is supposed to be much more scenic. But it this case, 80 is definitely the most direct, and quickest route. Altitude in Wyoming on 80 not nearly as high as I-70 in western Colorado.

Idiatone, my wife is checking into one of the "pet specializing" airlines for the dog.

My concern with the cat is if he's awake, he may start making lots of noise. He's a very talkative cat, especially when he's not happy. I guess its not much different from a crying baby.

Inner Dirt
07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
I remember our last cross country trip with Rocket (Female 1/2 Siamese) like I said she roamed free and was unmedicated. Anyway just 40 miles in she quietly curled up in my lap going up the Cajon pass ( I-15 in So Cal) Since this before was like late day 2 or 3 behavior I figured she had gotten used to traveling. By the time I hit Barstow and was ready to turn on I-40 (another 50 miles or so) my lap felt wet. She had drooled so much it looked like I had poured a 16 oz beer in my lap. I picked her up to put her on the adjoining seat and she threw up all over me. So much for thinking kitty was adapting to car trips. She never tried to escape once in the car even if I opened the door and she was down by my feet.

GameTheory
07-16-2015, 11:15 AM
I would never put a pet on a commercial plane. And super double never if it couldn't be in the cabin with me. No way. Too many horror stories.

If your pets are generally healthy they should be fine driving over the mountains. (Keep them hydrated.) Only when I had an older dog that developed some inner ear problems that made car travel difficult was there a problem.

Even if you have a dog that freaks out being in the car for short trips, they will often relax on a long one (I find using a big comfy something to sit on helps rather than just the seat). With one of my dogs I have to drive to a local park and walk around a bit at the beginning of the trip so he feels like we went somewhere (and he has to poop from getting all excited too), and then after that he'll relax all day in the car.

Driving around Colorado up and over mountains my dogs never displayed the slightest bit of discomfort (not that you can always tell). I've taken them to the top of Pikes Peak, went camping at 10,000 feet, no troubles. And then drove them on a 3-day trip to Georgia when we moved here.