PDA

View Full Version : Survey Says: DRF or Bris or Other?

Flysofree
07-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Let's say you could only have One set of figures.... (I know fantasy land question), but humor me. Would it be The DRF or BRIS or Other? But only one choice please.

letswastemoney
07-15-2015, 05:42 PM
TimeformUS seems the best, if only because I believe it's more consistent to know every race is adjusted for pace. I'm not sure when DRF does or doesn't adjust the numbers.

Kash$
07-15-2015, 06:00 PM
TimeformUS easily

NorCalGreg
07-15-2015, 06:24 PM
I've never used Timeform yet, but the only problem I have with Bris and Drf is...they both proclaim their SR's are interchangeable, valid from track to track.
For proof that's a bunch of hooey, look at a horse coming from say, Idaho...and running Bris or Beyers in the Mid to Hi 80's. Today he's entered @ GGF against horses that on their best day run figs in the mid 70's. No problem, right? Wrong. That Idaho horse will get his ASS handed to him every time. Seen it many times.

letswastemoney
07-15-2015, 06:36 PM
Maybe the Idaho horse doesn't like synthetic.

I don't think speed figures could be compared across different surface types.

NorCalGreg
07-15-2015, 07:17 PM
Actually I should have typed Turf Paradise, they don't normally migrate to GGf An 85 at one track doesn't equal anywhere near the same everywhere else.

Robert Fischer
07-15-2015, 07:39 PM
Bris guy at the moment, but I am tempted to go back to TimeformUS

ultracapper
07-15-2015, 07:55 PM
Been DRF all my life. In my comfort zone.

therussmeister
07-15-2015, 08:21 PM
BRIS for me. One thing I don't like about Timeform is they adjust the speed figures for pace. I've been doing that myself for decades, and I would prefer to keep doing it myself.

cj
07-15-2015, 11:10 PM
BRIS for me. One thing I don't like about Timeform is they adjust the speed figures for pace. I've been doing that myself for decades, and I would prefer to keep doing it myself.

You have access to the final time speed figures in each running line if that is what you prefer.

taxicab
07-15-2015, 11:22 PM
I use both Brisnet and TimeformUS.
Don't use DRF anymore.

Tom
07-16-2015, 10:00 AM
With TFUS, you get the speed number and the Performance number, plus the adjusted times. Anyone using old Sartin programs, plug these babies in and see how good it gets!

HuggingTheRail
07-16-2015, 10:44 AM
Going to try Timeform US this weekend....always been a DRF guy

Aerocraft67
07-16-2015, 10:57 AM
I cut my teeth on BRIS. Generally preferred BRIS to DRF, but I might have adopted Formulator more had it been available for free with an ADW before DRF Bets came along. But I've pretty much switched to Timeform.

At first I missed aspects of BRIS that are lacking in Timeform, but I've learned to live without them. If I want to crush a race I might use more than one product, most likely a big race where all the PPs are free anyway. Not really motivated to try Formulator again, mainly because I don't want to administrate a third ADW account and spread my PP familiarity too thin, but I also don't like the clunky interface.

I like the BRIS Ultimate Race Summary and various class-related figures, particularly the competitive level. I miss the more detailed jockey stats and race-specific track bias data in BRIS. But Timeform just crushes the others with a modern graphical interface, adeptly streamlines the data, and of course has highly reputable speed/pace figures. And the Pace Projector transcends the otherwise useful BRIS E, P, S, running style designations. But a consequence of the streamlined data is that it seems less likely you'll find a clever angle or pattern that you might pluck from the depths of Formulator.

Timeform seems to have the sharpest new talent associated with it. DRF clearly has a formidable team, but BRIS doesn't have any personality to speak of beyond the "All-Ways" tutorials. Truth is, I'm a big Mike Beer fan, which also keeps me engaged with Timeform. I did just buy a DRF Plus subscription with the summer discount promotion (primarily for Saratoga coverage), and I didn't opt for a package with PPs for like $2 more.

Given that a lot of the PP data is the same across platforms, and much of the most discerning analysis is based on trip handicapping beyond the abridged comment lines, the best PPs/ADWs would afford easy access to full charts and replays. I like the way Timeform handles charts a lot, but Formulator is probably the stronger option if embedded replays are a priority.

So for me its Timeform. But I suspect for the hard core data miner and replay viewer, Formulator would be the way to go. BRIS is generally useful and may have some merit with unique class angles, with all the due caveats of class figures. And PDFs. Although I think BRIS trumps the "paper" version of DRF. Sharpening the Formulator interface would make it more competitive.

Flysofree
07-16-2015, 11:16 AM
I thought "Other" would likely dominate, when I asked but only one Other has been listed so far. Interesting..Will check in a few days again.

Tom
07-16-2015, 11:28 AM
I have no details, but I did just scan an email today that says TF is having a 33 day unlimited sale for $9.99 coming up - check it out, god time to try, Toga next week, Del Mar today.

FocusWiz
07-16-2015, 11:47 AM
I have no details, but I did just scan an email today that says TF is having a 33 day unlimited sale for $9.99 coming up - check it out, god time to try, Toga next week, Del Mar today.Might only be 3 day pass based on what I am seeing, $9.99 for any 3 consecutive days (through Labor Day). Hopefully, I am wrong.

PaceAdvantage
07-16-2015, 11:48 AM
Maybe create an actual poll next time...