PDA

View Full Version : Cop shoots a unharmed man.

Kash$
07-15-2015, 01:06 PM
http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Asvog7mtKESjTLd8PTcq2.SbvZx4;_ylc=X3oDMTdxc2N vdHM2BF9TAzIwMjM1MzgwNzUEYQMxNTA3MTQgbmV3cyBwb2xpY 2UgdW5hcm1lZCB0BGFpZANpZC0zNTY1MjQyBGNjb2RlA2dhBGN wb3MDMQRnA2I1MTNmMmU2LTkwYjctMzRjMi1iNzRhLTJmMzdmN mY0ZmYxYgRpbnRsA3VzBGl0YwMwBGx0eHQDQ29wc3Nob290dW5 hcm1lZG1hbgRwa2d2AzcEcG9zAzAEcgNEVWkvV2NBVjFRbklQa DBvRCtzK1RiUkhIMEE9BHNlYwN0ZC1mZWEEc2xrA3RodW1ibGl uawR0YXIDbmV3cy55YWhvby5jb20EdGVzdAM3MDA-/RV=1/RE=1438189499/RH=aHNyZC55YWhvby5jb20-/RO=2/RU=aHR0cDovL25ld3MueWFob28uY29tL3ZpZGVvLXJlbGVhc2V kLXNob3dzLXBvbGljZS1raWxsaW5nLXVuYXJtZWQtbWFuLWxhL TA3NDQ1MTQwOC5odG1sIw--/RS=%5EADAhV33AsiUEmPLAWK2BD.gy_vnpyY-

Kash$
07-15-2015, 01:08 PM
Total defenseless wow.

NorCalGreg
07-15-2015, 02:08 PM
Cop shoots "unharmed" man? Can't say that was a Freudian slip----maybe it was a "Republican" slip--as in:............Cops fired at him like 5 times,wanted to kill 'em, but missed every time, nothing to see here folks, move along.

thaskalos
07-15-2015, 02:28 PM
The city had to pay $4.7 million to settle a lawsuit with the dead man's family...but the police department still "fought aggressively" to keep the video suppressed. Some balls, these guys have.

Robert Fischer
07-15-2015, 03:06 PM
Possibly the most amazing thing was that these officers weren't able to 'lose' the dashboard camera.

Many times when an incident happens, there is the misfortune that the dashboard camera happened to be out of service that day.

Police aren't bad. Most are good. They also have a super-hard job.

We just can't give police absolute power, and we can't have the absence of dashboard and even uniform cameras in this day and age.

These are interactions which are better to be on video. It's cheap, it places some measure of checks and balances on the power element of police.

It seems that in this case the dashboard cam did it's job, and although it's bizarre to contemplate a settlement for a death, that is part of our society and symbolic of an attempt by the city to do the right thing.
So some things worked here.

delayjf
07-15-2015, 03:21 PM
Moral of this story is when a cop tells you to keep your hands in the air, it would be wise to do so. Sure, your family might get rich, but you'll be dead.

One time I was driving home to Nebraska from CA and I got pulled over by Cops in Las Vegas. I had a shotgun in my back seat as I planned to do some pheasant hunting back in NE (unloaded, and in a case) so I put both of my arms out the door and yelled at the cops that I had a weapon in the back seat of the car and what would they like me to do. I got cuffed while they cheaked everything out - in about 15 minutes I was on my way.

Clocker
07-15-2015, 03:31 PM
Moral of this story is when a cop tells you to keep your hands in the air, it would be wise to do so. Sure, your family might get rich, but you'll be dead.

This was a tragic incident, but I don't see what releasing or posting the video achieves or proves. The guy screwed up by not following the orders of cops who had guns pointed at him. The cops were mistaken in thinking he was going for a weapon, although it appears they had some probable cause to think that.

How many hundreds of times a day does an encounter like this occur in this country with no one getting hurt? There is no evidence of any intended wrong doing by the cops. Keeping the video under wraps is simple public relations on the part of the city and the cops. There is no indication they were trying to cover up anything.

Robert Fischer
07-15-2015, 04:28 PM
Looks like a rare event to me.

Yes the cop made a mistake here, and yes the video is dramatic, but one video does not mean that this is indicative of the standard. This is what I call 'shock media'.

I don't feel the need to try to really 'reach' in order to make a half-hearted defense of this officer, because I feel confident although he messed up, - that the standard of police behavior is more professional than this, and I do not feel threatened by this one event that happens to be on video.

What little emotion I am capable of, I am sorry for the family.

How about a video that shows some of the good things that police did, or the times they were placed in harms way and reacted better than could be expected??

iceknight
07-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Looks like a rare event to me.

Yes the cop made a mistake here, and yes the video is dramatic, but one video does not mean that this is indicative of the standard. This is what I call 'shock media'.

I don't feel the need to try to really 'reach' in order to make a half-hearted defense of this officer, because I feel confident although he messed up, - that the standard of police behavior is more professional than this, and I do not feel threatened by this one event that happens to be on video.

What little emotion I am capable of, I am sorry for the family.

How about a video that shows some of the good things that police did, or the times they were placed in harms way and reacted better than could be expected?? They are also available under Related videos. You have to make the effort to have them go "Viral" . Some people do post such things also. In this case, though, although the dash cam catches that his palms are empty. The angle from one of the officer's point of view might not show the right hand of one of the guys, that drops to his pocket level.. so that might have played a part in justifying the shooting. By and large, many police men are trigger happy once the gun comes out in their hand. Of course, the main reason they draw the gun is that they are already perceiving an armed threat. It is a challenging job, but when you also have cases of officers falsifying reports at a decent no of cases, like the cases where non governmental videos clearly expose lying, it easily lends credence to so called stereotypes against police.

NorCalGreg
07-15-2015, 05:57 PM
How about a video that shows some of the good things that police did, or the times they were placed in harms way and reacted better than could be expected??

Doubt Mr. Kash$ bothered to post the article/pic of the cop that was ambushed yesterday in St Louis, while sitting in his car. I counted 14 bullet holes through his front windshield. He actually DID come out of it relatively "unharmed".

JustRalph
07-15-2015, 07:31 PM
Doubt Mr. Kash$ bothered to post the article/pic of the cop that was ambushed yesterday in St Louis, while sitting in his car. I counted 14 bullet holes through his front windshield. He actually DID come out of it relatively "unharmed".

yep........ good point.

I am sure everybody that reads this thread would have done the right thing. I admit, I didn't even watch it.......... same old same old.

jk3521
07-15-2015, 08:18 PM
yep........ good point.

I am sure everybody that reads this thread would have done the right thing. I admit, I didn't even watch it.......... same old same old.
I am the most mild mannered and even tempered guy in the world, but I would never trust myself with a loaded gun in my hand. When emotions or perceiving of being in danger come into it, any man is dangerous and he may over react. I would only keep a gun in my home to protect my family, that's it.

There is no respect for authority any longer in this country, and abuse of authority of those that are in authority. :(