PDA

View Full Version : VIDEOS: The greatest racing performance you've witnessed IN PERSON

PaceAdvantage
07-14-2015, 04:40 PM
It doesn't have to be the closest finish, or the fastest time, or anything really. It just has to be the race that sticks with you...the one that gave you chills that you can still feel to this day.

I'll start it off with my pick:

Holy Bull's Woodward

e-tCGbynWtgAnd yes, I was at the 2015 Belmont Stakes... :lol:

Brogan
07-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Hands down...1973 Belmont Stakes...'nuff said.

FocusWiz
07-14-2015, 05:02 PM
I was in awe of Secretariat's Triple Crown and will never forget how far behind the second place finisher seemed to be (it was almost like a separate race), but this was the Triple Crown I bet against...
apBIGFWMFr0
I had $10 on Alydar and for a moment I thought he would win it with the strength of his ability to finish, but Affirmed had the will to win it. I will never forget this race.

Stillriledup
07-14-2015, 05:34 PM
Here's my top 3:

ydT4SRxZT1Y

cKR3_shx7p4

0at6tTgEvNc

Inner Dirt
07-14-2015, 05:39 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDbOyu5tTF4

One of the many times I bet on the Paster and the Bid kicked his tail.

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 05:46 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gAeTic_9Bo

I was inside the 1/16th pole, 2nd floor grandstand. Couldn't hear myself yell, could feel the track shaking under me.

My heart wanted Smarty Jones, my pocket wanted Birdstone. Was a bittersweet moment but I loved screaming to the many make believe horse fans "GO HOME NOW" as soon as Tom Durkin said "Birdstone wins the Belmont Stakes".

DJofSD
07-14-2015, 05:46 PM
Great Communicator, BC'88 Turf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiY9bHHgpvo

KirisClown
07-14-2015, 05:52 PM
It doesn't have to be the closest finish, or the fastest time, or anything really. It just has to be the race that sticks with you...the one that gave you chills that you can still feel to this day.

I'll start it off with my pick:

Holy Bull's Woodward

Definitely this one.. I was there too. Every horse a Grade I winner..

All ran their eyeballs out and were just nowhere near good enough to stay with Holy Bull..

It's sad to read the drivel that has shown up in the Cigar thread regarding HB.. Cigar breaking him down by looking in his eye? This type of nonsense shows up every year or so... :bang:

Who do we credit for causing Cigar's infertility? Skip Away? :faint:

Robert Fischer
07-14-2015, 06:11 PM
Couple brilliant efforts that I was lucky enough to see in person;

d3Jk5dZa_EY

NZsVGIY3chY

johnhannibalsmith
07-14-2015, 06:56 PM
Could have used a few but I remember just replaying this in my head the entire way home down the Northway on this day, demanding of myself that I remember to set the VHS to tape the replay show on OTB channel the next day so I could watch it again and again.

3k73AXxl3eY

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 07:22 PM
Couldn't find the video...

This race stuck with me.

Cold normal day on the inner track before the stupid racino opened and we actually had a place to watch races live (what a nobel thought....).

Philip X, I believe was his name. A gritty non descript State Bred was running in another NY Bred race.

He was fighting his heart out in deep stretch when he went down 70 yards from the wire.

The black curtain came, he was lying on the ground for 5-7 minutes. I rushed down to the 1/16th pole, from the finish line, to get a better view with my binocs. I kept screaming his name, Philip, get up Philip.

After 5-7 minutes, I think "the guy" also known as the grim reaper had showed up. It's almost as if the horse knew he was going to be laid to rest, Philip X shot up...He kept standing and moving in place as if showing the grim reaper he's alive and well.

I guess age has gotten to me. I am not sure if he was put down on track but I do remember him getting up. Not sure if he was vanned off, not sure if he lived.

It was before, I sadly had acquired this thing called internet access I believe and I don't know what happened. But I'll never forget screaming his name to get up and by golly he did.

Hope he's on a farm somewhere living happy.

To me a great performance to fight for his life.

Story #2: Belmont mid 2000's. No video. Poor horse broke down at the 3/8 in a dirt race. Refused to go down. He limped all the way to the 1/16 (with no jock) trying to get to the line. That absolutely broke my heart. He was trying to do what he was taught to do, despite having a completely shattered leg.

Those are the performances on track that struck me, while I was standing feet away in person.

thezeeman333
07-14-2015, 07:43 PM
A track record without even trying. What a horse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f01Ryurv_gs

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 08:06 PM
I bet the replies from the "Go f--k yourself" crowd was almost as obnoxious.

Nope, they were too busy crying and wondering how the superhorse lost.

Did you have to be annoyed by 120,000 once a year rookies at Belmont that year? Many of them hammered beyond comprehension. Many of them having sex in the stairway next to where my girlfriend, mother and family were stationed?

Did you have to deal with people trying to take YOUR seat at many and many Belmont Stakes because security refused to stand up to these disgusting human beings?

I doubt it.

I gave them what they deserved.

To answer your question....I got some boos amongst their sobbing and couldn't care less. Had a decent win parlay closing to Birsdtone at 30/1 and was more than happy to cash.

And for the next 364 days, I had normalcy back at Belmont, Saratoga and Aqueduct, which is the way I like it.

I actually do not like a decent size portion of the Belmont Stakes crowd.

In 2008, I had to rally up the ticket holders that sat next to me in the 1st row of the 4th floor to STOP these vile disgusting pigs that were pushing peace officers out of the way as they pushed up the stairs to watch Big Brown and BLOCK our view.

For the nice people in that 2004 crowd, I did no worse than Philly fans do to visiting Met fans who cheer their team on in Phildelphia. I told them to go home as they lost their game.

Nothing wrong with that.

BombsAway Bob
07-14-2015, 08:24 PM
Rachel winning TheWoodward.
https://youtu.be/Fh_CcdIiQR0
Fh_CcdIiQR0

andtheyreoff
07-14-2015, 08:40 PM
I was there when American Pharaoh won the Triple Crown, and it still couldn't top this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysO_Fhc8Fpw

Shemp Howard
07-14-2015, 08:44 PM
1976 Marlboro Cup at Belmont.

Forego carried 137 lbs on a muddy track.

Grade I winner Honest Pleasure, a confirmed front runner, on the lead all the way carrying 119. Up 1 1/2 lengths at the 1/16 pole

How Forego won it I'll never know.

jk3521
07-14-2015, 09:33 PM
1976 Marlboro Cup at Belmont.

Forego carried 137 lbs on a muddy track.

Grade I winner Honest Pleasure, a confirmed front runner, on the lead all the way carrying 119. Up 1 1/2 lengths at the 1/16 pole

How Forego won it I'll never know.
The greatest handicap horse of all time !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9G__94-Awg

Tor Ekman
07-14-2015, 10:17 PM
Was a bittersweet moment but I loved screaming to the many make believe horse fans "GO HOME NOW" as soon as Tom Durkin said "Birdstone wins the Belmont Stakes".
That's some job by you encouraging newcomers to become racing fans when the game can use as many people as possible coming back to the track. Quite the ambassador you are!

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 10:34 PM
That's some job by you encouraging newcomers to become racing fans when the game can use as many people as possible coming back to the track. Quite the ambassador you are!

Read my other post as to why I did that....Maybe if you were me you'd do the same ?

Also, do you know how much of a ribbing they gave me pre race for openly touting that Smarty Would get beat? I think I remember a crowd chanting "Let's go smarty" and in return yes "I screamed back Smarty who?" or something to that effect.

A little pinching of total strangers at a SPORTING EVENT never hurt anyone. As long as it doesn't get violent.

But yes, some of my message was to the once a year drunkards who only used the Belmont as a place to get hammered, get high and make it somewhat dangerous. They probably bet $2 all day. I was glad to have them leave :)

Tor Ekman
07-14-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm guessing your eyes are brown because you're so full of shite what with all your sentimental love for this game but yet you are an elitist in that all must be as you deem proper lest you be inconvenienced in your enjoyment of the track experience. Exaggerate all you want about what you witnessed (like fornication in the stairwells) in order to justify your snobbery, but I call bullshit. You're just a race track snob who sees things your way or the wrong way.

Bigadam119
07-14-2015, 10:51 PM

"Smarty Jones enters the stretch to the roar of 120,000"

I though once a horse won the TC, that race wouldn't hurt as much, but it still feels like getting punched in the gut when I re watch it.

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 11:15 PM
I'm guessing you're eyes are brown because you're so full of shite what with all your sentimental love for this game but yet you are an elitist in that all must be as you deem proper lest you be inconvenienced in your enjoyment of the track experience. Exaggerate all you want about what you witnessed (like fornication in the stairwells) in order to justify your snobbery, but I call bullshit. You're just a race track snob who sees things your way or the wrong way.

I was warned by many members on here about how there are many PA posters that are wannabe horse players, envious cowards with no mission to interact-just want to put people down and overall miserable souls.

As an innocent soul, who is 1) a leventi 2) alithinos and 3) full of philotimo I know not of the angle that you take. It is a foreign world to me.

I don't need to prove a thing to you. However, you question me and feel the urge to see if I'm legit and what I say is true...

Give me the date and time, I'll meet you at Belmont any day you'd like. You can witness first hand if every piece of information that I have EVER placed on here is accurate, complete truth and legit. Not through me but through the hundreds of people that we interact with as I walk you through the environment (and yes as a gentelman, I'd buy you a couple of beers as well).

No hard feelings taken, you can't control who you are.

I just ask that you shake my hand, look me in the eye and apologize like a man when and IF you have testicular fortitude to see if your call of bullshit is correct.

P.S. 1) As for your last comment-I am the most open minded person you'll ever meet, when it comes to always making sure I keep my eyes open to learning in any aspect of life. I never say to myself "I know it all, let's not waste time here listening" as THAT is when you start going backwards in life.
1A) Race track snob? Ha, if you ever laid your eyes on me at the track, the last thing you'd ever call ME is a race track snob.

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 11:16 PM
I'm guessing your eyes are brown because you're so full of shite what with all your sentimental love for this game but yet you are an elitist in that all must be as you deem proper lest you be inconvenienced in your enjoyment of the track experience. Exaggerate all you want about what you witnessed (like fornication in the stairwells) in order to justify your snobbery, but I call bullshit. You're just a race track snob who sees things your way or the wrong way.

After you give me the date that you're coming down to Belmont, can we please keep this thread on topic?

Attacking me is not the thread title.

Tor Ekman
07-14-2015, 11:33 PM
How do you propose to prove that you witnessed people fornicating in the stairwells??? Really, that was going on just a few feet from your family and cops (who are all over on Belmont Day, especially those first few years after 9-11) did nothing??? I owe you no apology. To the contrary, it is you who should apologize for some of the hyperbole that you spew on this board. You profess to love the game so much but yet feel entitled to be the arbiter of who should be worthy to participate in the game. That's what I meant by your being an elitist. I have no interest in making your acquaintance at the track, never mind tipping a brew with the likes of you.

v j stauffer
07-14-2015, 11:37 PM
Was standing on the apron at Lone Star. Never seen a horse running that fast at the end of a race. Any race. Much less a mile and a quarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSXs--jTCtM

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 11:56 PM
How do you propose to prove that you witnessed people fornicating in the stairwells??? Really, that was going on just a few feet from your family and cops (who are all over on Belmont Day, especially those first few years after 9-11) did nothing??? I owe you no apology. To the contrary, it is you who should apologize for some of the hyperbole that you spew on this board. You profess to love the game so much but yet feel entitled to be the arbiter of who should be worthy to participate in the game. That's what I meant by your being an elitist. I have no interest in making your acquaintance at the track, never mind tipping a brew with the likes of you.

Easy, by asking the usuals what was the most unusual thing they've seen in their many years attending the Belmont stakes. If they speak of a race or don't go in that direction, I won't lead them, you can ask them point blank yourself to find out.

Do you want the same type of 'patrons' who visit Pimlico in the infield next to you on Belmont Stakes day? Ha! I know I don't and THAT does not make me an elitist. It makes me a normal human being.

Have you attended 25 out of the last 27 Belmonts? I have. Have you attended live racing at Belmont since 1983 on a continual basis (3 times a week when they are running live at Belmont)? I have. So therefore, I don't see where I should or COULD be questioned. However, I didn't mind the questioning. I even offered to prove it to you but that wasn't your agenda.

You never had any interest in questioning if what I say is true AND then seeing if it is true.

You're only agenda was to attack, atagonize and put down another poster, regardless if what they say is true.

I always give people the benefit of the doubt, hence my offer to buy you a beer, despite you being what you are. But again, what would you know about human decency.

You have now shown what you're made of. Without knowing you, I see YOU are the one with dark brown eyes and dark brown sclera.

Please go find some other poster to attack and make your self feel better.

I won't be wasting my time with responding to you any more.

appistappis
07-15-2015, 12:04 AM
it was sort of an encore performance but secretariat's last race at woodbine.

open_question
07-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Loved 'Zapper's Classic! That Lone Star BC was an all-around excellent event.

But perhaps my favorite race--horses, jocks, race call, crowd reaction--is this one: http://youtu.be/4xhrOk7jjTI

Always give me chills, seeing RtR's blaze turn into the stretch and the physicality of Curlin-Albarado/Rags-Velazquez battling to the wire.

Tor Ekman
07-15-2015, 12:11 AM
More drivel, like your slanderous nonsense about Curlin being on steroids

Robert Fischer
07-15-2015, 01:34 AM
Holy Bull's Woodward

e-tCGbynWtg
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]

ydT4SRxZT1Y

I'm jealous (of these and others posted). Those were some great races to see live.

thaskalos
07-15-2015, 02:23 AM
There was an old cheap claimer running in the Chicago area in the mid 1980s, by the name of SAYBROOK...who was one of the most remarkable animals that I have ever seen in this game. He had cheap speed, and wasn't able to always take the lead in his races...but if he was able to take the lead and hold it until the stretch, there was no way that he would let another horse pass him down the lane. I noticed this peculiarity about the horse...and was preparing myself for the biggest wager of my then-young horseplaying career...on a Friday afternoon at Sportsman's Park, in a race where Saybrook looked outclassed...but figured to secure the early lead, and hold it at least until the stretch. The betting public didn't believe in Saybrook...but I knew in my bones that he wouldn't get passed in the lane. I waited until the 7th race without betting a cent...and then emptied my pockets on the horse, at 6-1 odds. $200 to win...which left me with only gas money for the ride home.

Saybrook took the lead, and turned for home leading by two lengths. But then challengers emerged both inside AND outside of him...and three horses raced as one down to the wire. It was the damnedest thing; I was nervous...but I WASN'T. I somehow KNEW that the horse would outbob the two other horses on the wire...and it happened exactly like that. With the other horses breathing down his neck all the way down the lane...Saybrook wouldn't be denied. He stretched his neck out at the shadow of the wire...and won by a head.

Almost 30 years have passed, and I've been around this game enough to see some great horses...and some remarkable performances. But the young, impressionable Thaskalos of the mid 80s needed to know that there was some LOGIC to this game...and he was assured of this not by a superstar horse in a marquee race...but by an old, cheap claimer...racing at Sportsman's Park on a gray Friday afternoon.

And, when adversity shows up in my own life, and a high degree of tenacity is called for...I let my mind wonder back in time...and I think of Saybrook. :ThmbUp:

Chaka26
07-15-2015, 03:16 AM

I saw a video once of Bids rivals- I believe it was Paster's trainer saying "he couldnt beat Spectacular Bid even if he cut across the infield" LMAO

handyman1968
07-15-2015, 04:09 AM
No video but the greatest performance by a thoroughbred that I've ever witnessed was in Hong Kong by a horse named Gilgit. Destroyed the 7F track record and first horse to ever run a sub 1:22 7F race in HK carrying 143lbs. Jockey had a hold of him from start to finish and past the 1F marker Gary Moore started looking left and right and none was coming to get him that day, eased to the line. That was back in 1984 almost 2 decades before HK would regularly get G1 quality horse flesh. He would race 2 more times after that winning his next race carrying 150lbs. He was sent to the USA to enhanced his stud value which didn't amount to much. At 7F to a Mile he was a beast.

PoloUK6108
07-15-2015, 08:56 AM
Was lucky enough to witness ol' Wise Dan skimming the hedge in the rain in the Firecracker, and also pick up a cool $600k in the Shadwell last fall like it was chicken feed.

tucker6
07-15-2015, 09:13 AM
There was an old cheap claimer running in the Chicago area in the mid 1980s, by the name of SAYBROOK...who was one of the most remarkable animals that I have ever seen in this game. He had cheap speed, and wasn't able to always take the lead in his races...but if he was able to take the lead and hold it until the stretch, there was no way that he would let another horse pass him down the lane. I noticed this peculiarity about the horse...and was preparing myself for the biggest wager of my then-young horseplaying career...on a Friday afternoon at Sportsman's Park, in a race where Saybrook looked outclassed...but figured to secure the early lead, and hold it at least until the stretch. The betting public didn't believe in Saybrook...but I knew in my bones that he wouldn't get passed in the lane. I waited until the 7th race without betting a cent...and then emptied my pockets on the horse, at 6-1 odds. $200 to win...which left me with only gas money for the ride home.

Saybrook took the lead, and turned for home leading by two lengths. But then challengers emerged both inside AND outside of him...and three horses raced as one down to the wire. It was the damnedest thing; I was nervous...but I WASN'T. I somehow KNEW that the horse would outbob the two other horses on the wire...and it happened exactly like that. With the other horses breathing down his neck all the way down the lane...Saybrook wouldn't be denied. He stretched his neck out at the shadow of the wire...and won by a head.

Almost 30 years have passed, and I've been around this game enough to see some great horses...and some remarkable performances. But the young, impressionable Thaskalos of the mid 80s needed to know that there was some LOGIC to this game...and he was assured of this not by a superstar horse in a marquee race...but by an old, cheap claimer...racing at Sportsman's Park on a gray Friday afternoon.

And, when adversity shows up in my own life, and a high degree of tenacity is called for...I let my mind wonder back in time...and I think of Saybrook. :ThmbUp:
Great story Thask. :ThmbUp:

Curious as to why you said no one believed in him yet he went off at 6-1.

EMD4ME
07-15-2015, 09:17 AM
More drivel, like your slanderous nonsense about Curlin being on steroids

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/10/sports/othersports/10racing.html?_r=0

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3482329

Hey Ekman....Need any help getting your foot out of your mouth?

classhandicapper
07-15-2015, 09:17 AM
I saw all of these.

Seattle Slew vs. Affirmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Pqu2xdmT8

Seattle Slew vs. Exceller

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-luVRJCHag

Seattle Slew vs. Affirmed, Exceller...and a rabbit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNjPPoLdAdM

Affirmed vs. Spectacular Bid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSBV25QzS-E

Tall One
07-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Quick "My bad" to the thread contributors, particularly EMD, for my less than stellar performance on page 1. Little too much vino at dinner. No excuse, but just the same.

/carry on.

mountainman
07-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Great Canadian-daily double, old Ascot Park, winter of 1966 (?)...dad picked me up at lunchtime (I hated school and loved my father beyond words) and we drove the 90 minutes from Leetsdale, PA..the steady snow, frigid temps, warm grandstand and buzzing crowd made it all so pleasing-both comforting AND stimulating in a blend that infected me for life..and the morning telegraph (just to think that this intoxicating world had its own bible, roadmap and newspaper rolled into one!) so transfixed my dad that I could only conclude those mysterious symbols held the meaning of life.....and there came Great Canadian, bold, muscled and brown, wearing strange, warrior-like headgear, legs bandaged for triumphant battle, leaving his foes a mile behind, invisible, even, in the swirling snow, so majestic the name, so excited the announcer..surely this was the greatest horse ever!!!!

I've since witnessed many, many thoroughbreds humble their fields by huge margins..and every SINGLE one, STILL, some half-century later, takes me back to Great Canadian, and they pale in comparison....all my love, dad, wherever you are..

EMD4ME
07-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Quick "My bad" to the thread contributors, particularly EMD, for my less than stellar performance on page 1. Little too much vino at dinner. No excuse, but just the same.

/carry on.

I have no idea what you're talking about... :) Be well.

Just one request, can you share the vino? Some of us like to partake as well :jump:

EMD4ME
07-15-2015, 12:06 PM

That's an awesome story Thaskalos! That must have been a wonderful sense of confidence/easgerness to see it play out at the 1/8th pole!

I too will now remember Saybrook in difficult times.

Thanks for sharing, I actually felt like I was there screeming along at the 1/8 pole as you told this story!

Kash$
07-15-2015, 12:38 PM
Great performances

Any Race the Bid ran in as a 4 year old :)

Fingal
07-15-2015, 01:03 PM

I was thinking back over the so many I can see until I went back to the original question. And this is the one that still gives me the chicken skin, Landaluce's Anokia in 1982. And the Youtubes of her races out there are just images...... to be in the moment was extra special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmTHBIWN8yU

ultracapper
07-15-2015, 02:26 PM
Doubt the video exists.

Skywalker beating Bedside Promise by a head in the Longacres Mile after a head and head length of the stretch dual. Skywalker went on to win the BC Classic 2 1/2 months later.

jahura2
07-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Easy one for me, 1988 Breeders Cup Distaff where the unbeaten Personal Ensign looked hopelessly beat at the 1/8 th pole by Winning Colors. her heart and talent would not allow it! I was in a clubhouse box at CD that day. Got treated to a pretty great classic shortly after as Alysheba would not be denied in the darkness at CD.

alydar
07-15-2015, 03:17 PM
To me the classic ones mostly already mentioned:

1976 Marlboro
1978 Belmont
1988 Breeders Cup Distaff
2009 Breeders Cup

All fantastic races won by champions in dramatic ways.

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2015, 04:31 PM
Here's my top 3:

ydT4SRxZT1Y

cKR3_shx7p4

0at6tTgEvNcYou were at all three of these races?

PaceAdvantage
07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
More drivel, like your slanderous nonsense about Curlin being on steroidsJust for the record, if I had seen your last 2 or 3 replies to EMD before he had a chance to reply, I would have deleted them.

There are better ways to express yourself...stay classy

Inner Dirt
07-15-2015, 04:44 PM

The people EMD4ME are complaining about are never going to be horse racing fans, maybe you haven't been to enough different sporting events to have ran across them. Don't know what to call them they seem to show up at large sporting events, get drunk, make a lot of noise, and have no idea of the how to act and function to make everyone's experience pleasant. They show up at Nascar events, Baseball games, Football games, etc,etc. They know next to nothing about what they are watching, they are there to get drunk and stupid in a large crowd. I don't think sex in the stairwells is too far fetched. I saw more bare chested women in person at the derby than I have seen in my whole life and I got around as a youth. Some of them came in the men's room and flashed and then used the facilities with quite a few males using the pee troughs.

andtheyreoff
07-15-2015, 04:56 PM
You were at all three of these races?

He must have owned one of the horses those days. After all, there's no point in going to the track if one of your horses isn't running... :rolleyes:

castaway01
07-15-2015, 06:06 PM
You were at all three of these races?

Same guy was so "secretive" he wouldn't say what track he attended 20 years ago...I'm guessing no.

BlueChip@DRF
07-15-2015, 06:14 PM
I was in awe of Secretariat's Triple Crown and will never forget how far behind the second place finisher seemed to be (it was almost like a separate race), but this was the Triple Crown I bet against...
apBIGFWMFr0
I had $10 on Alydar and for a moment I thought he would win it with the strength of his ability to finish, but Affirmed had the will to win it. I will never forget this race.

I was there. Too young to bet but not too young to cheer. Seats directly across the 1/8th pole on the 2nd level. It was a beautiful day.

Madhouse at the top of the stretch for The Belmont, though.

dilanesp
07-15-2015, 07:03 PM

This, and it's not even close.

(Honorable mentions for me: Alysheba's Woodward, Sunday Silence's Breeders' Cup Classic, JO Tobin's Swaps Stakes, Affirmed's Santa Anita Handicap and Hollywood Gold Cup, Cigar's Hollywood Gold Cup, Zenyatta's Breeders' Cup Classic, Game On Dude's third Santa Anita Handicap win, Inside Information's Breeders' Cup Distaff, and Curlin's Breeders' Cup Classic.)

EMD4ME
07-15-2015, 07:17 PM
The people EMD4ME are complaining about are never going to be horse racing fans, maybe you haven't been to enough different sporting events to have ran across them. Don't know what to call them they seem to show up at large sporting events, get drunk, make a lot of noise, and have no idea of the how to act and function to make everyone's experience pleasant. They show up at Nascar events, Baseball games, Football games, etc,etc. They know next to nothing about what they are watching, they are there to get drunk and stupid in a large crowd. I don't think sex in the stairwells is too far fetched. I saw more bare chested women in person at the derby than I have seen in my whole life and I got around as a youth. Some of them came in the men's room and flashed and then used the facilities with quite a few males using the pee troughs.

Not sure who is familiar with the Belmont layout and who is not, so I will try and portray clearly. There is a 4th floor at the Big B. Basically, it's on the 3rd floor but you have to take about 12 stairs up to the 4th floor (instead of a seperate escalator up). It is really only used on Belmont Stakes day. I love those seats as you are high up and the public doesn't really go for them first (when sales are hard). I got seats for the 2008 Belmont Stakes, 1st row inside the 1/16th pole on the 4th floor.

What I saw, I can not desrcibe how repulsed I was. I had my then 65 year old ginger mother with me and my then girlfriend of 6 years. We had 3 seats first row ready to see if Big Brown would win or not. We listened to Frank Sinatra at about 10 minutes to post and then the chaos began.

An onslought of trash bumrushed the ushers and peace officers UP the 12 stairs. These disusting vile pieces of trash were rude, loud, obnoxious, half naked and oozing of slime. WE, meaning everyone in the first and second row (maybe 3rd row) COULD NOT SEE A DARN THING excpept for the back of these POSs heads. I am a racing fanatic. I was at the track since negative 9M (Meaning since I was conceived by my mother and father).

I was NOT about to let this garbage ruin my Belmont Stakes. My mother, my girlfriend and I were not about to maybe miss history because of these pigs.

Yes, I yelled at them. That didn't work. I cursed at them, that got their attention but that didn't work, so I resorted to the next logical item on the chart....

Public humiliation.....

I turned to the crowd behind me, asked them "Who's p***ed off that these people in front of us, WHO DIDNT PAY FOR SEATS LIKE WE DID"?

Most all people screamed in return....I said let them KNOW IT. So, I started a chant, Get the BLANK out of our way. Get the BLANK out of our way, Get the BLANK out of our way.

When I had the chance, I started another chant, YOU ARE A POS, YOU ARE A POS, YOU ARE A POS.

That was the one that got them to go back down (and I'm not talking about 2 or 3 'people', I'm talking 25-30 "people" that got back down.

I felt most sorry for the ushers and temporary peace officers. (I Know every single peace officer at NYRA).

A few guys yelled back at me: "Enjoy the race, it's your last" or "YOUR DEAD, right after the race"

Not a pleasant experience. Sorry for the readboard but I did cash a nice Friday to Saturday double to D'Tara-paid $555 if I remember correctly LOL but it didn't matter if I hit for a million.

That was truly disgusting and I hope it didn't happen in 2015 (I had to miss this year's stakes as my mother was critical and had to tend to her).

I was a bit younger, the testosterone was gushing and I reacted.

I don't blame NYRA at all for it as these people (and I hate typing the word people as they are NOT human. I hate to use the word animal to describe a human as I love animals toooo much) are vile and disgusting.

Ted Craven
07-15-2015, 07:20 PM
My most memorable race I actually attended - was actually also my very first race ever, my first bet won, my first nail-biting photo finish and the first (and only) time I ever saw Willie Shoemaker ride - the inaugural 1981 Arlington Million won by John Henry.

New in Chicago, an old race-tracker friend took me out to the 'burbs but we got lost and arrived late, maybe 20 minutes beforehand. After the dust settled on the photo-finish with The Bart, I think I won about $1 on my $10 bet but I didn't care. I guess I should have kept the ticket. Only a decade later when I seriously got into racing did I really appreciate who John Henry actually was, and what a historic inauguration I had myself into this great game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2ByoMBq6k

Ted

Overlay
07-15-2015, 07:48 PM
For me (and as has already been mentioned by others), Forego's 1976 Marlboro Cup.

Rise Over Run
07-15-2015, 08:04 PM
Was standing on the apron at Lone Star. Never seen a horse running that fast at the end of a race. Any race. Much less a mile and a quarter Ghost Zapper

JCGC Day, September 2003 was my second visit to Belmont. Will never forget Ghost Zapper running by everybody down the stretch in the Vosburgh. I know it was only a 6.5f sprint, but the way he did it and margin of victory was amazing. I bring up the video on YouTube a few times a year and am in awe each and every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiKgJiYCDM

I have no doubt that he would have won the BC Sprint that year if he didn't have so much trouble with his feet. I've read multiple articles that it was training genius by Bobby F just to get him to the track much less win Graded races, including the following years BC Classic. And Bobby F's right hand man at the time was none other than Chad B.

KirisClown
07-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Doubt the video exists.

Skywalker beating Bedside Promise by a head in the Longacres Mile after a head and head length of the stretch dual. Skywalker went on to win the BC Classic 2 1/2 months later.

Here you go..

VwixWXIAGyg

EMD4ME
07-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Ghost Zapper

JCGC Day, September 2003 was my second visit to Belmont. Will never forget Ghost Zapper running by everybody down the stretch in the Vosburgh. I know it was only a 6.5f sprint, but the way he did it and margin of victory was amazing. I bring up the video on YouTube a few times a year and am in awe each and every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiiKgJiYCDM

I have no doubt that he would have won the BC Sprint that year if he didn't have so much trouble with his feet. I've read multiple articles that it was training genius by Bobby F just to get him to the track much less win Graded races, including the following years BC Classic. And Bobby F's right hand man at the time was none other than Chad B.

I too was at that race and was flabberghasted. His strides in the last 1/4 were amazing.

The only thing more amazing was the fact that the cars we see in the background (near the 5/8 th's) actually were cars that were owened by visiting patrons that day, parked 5/8 of a mile away from the grandstand!

Watching that on tape doesn't give it as much credit as is deserved. In person that was GhostZapperish!

Kash$
07-15-2015, 08:37 PM
Here you go..

VwixWXIAGyg

Secretariat Debut?

thespaah
07-15-2015, 09:34 PM
I was present for the 1977 Hopeful.
Saw John Henry win the Ballantine Scotch Classic in a gutsy performance for and old warhorse.
Saw Seattle Slew lose to Dr Patches At Meadowlands.

porchy44
07-15-2015, 09:46 PM
Arazi runs right by him, and he's pouring it on, just an incredible move. And here INDEED is a SUPERSTAR, Arazi, absolutely brilliant, he was taken under a hard hold to win here by 5, but he could have won by 10 perhaps, ABSOLUTELY SENSATIONAL!

Durkin acted quite surprised by the move as Arazi went by Bertrando.

I had a nice win bet on him and Black Tie affair that day. Very memorable for me.

goatchaser
07-15-2015, 11:10 PM
As a Young Man watching this race and being there sent chills down my spine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ9G_dA5KcU

But it couldn't beat this day.You just have to Listen to the crowd down the stretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEWi0iwAL_M

PhantomOnTour
07-15-2015, 11:31 PM
No contest at all for me:

2005 Preakness Stakes - Afleet Alex

ultracapper
07-16-2015, 05:55 AM
Here you go..

VwixWXIAGyg

Good to see you're still around. Haven't seen your handle in quite some time.

ultracapper
07-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Here you go..

VwixWXIAGyg

Obviously 29 years has clouded the memory a bit as I remembered Bedside Promise engaging Skywalker much earlier. Bedside Promise turned into a pretty nice horse also. That was one of the early Jawl Brothers horses. He broke his maiden at Longacres as a horse in a 14-1 field entry. I believe it was a 14 horse field with 12 betting interests. Bedside Promise was 1 of 3 in the "field" entry. Geez, comparing Longacres to Emerald Downs, what a difference. There were dozens of field entries every meet at Longacres. And a dozen races a week with full fields of 12 with 4 AEs. They ran very few Maidens for older horses. If your horse was a 4 year old maiden, the horse had to be shipped to Portland, Yakima, Spokane, or Vancouver BC. There just wasn't enough barn space to hold the older maidens. From 1982 until the announcement of the sale of Longacres to Boeing in 1991, that was as outstanding a "B" level track as could be. Very, very good racing, and I mean Wednesday through Sunday, 10 races a day with an average of 10 horses per race, all meet long.

tucker6
07-16-2015, 08:12 AM
Secretariat Debut?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Khpjhzld7nw

Pine Tree Lane
07-16-2015, 10:27 PM
1. 1976 Belmont. Bold Forbes performance at 1 1/2 miles on 3 feet.
2. 2009 Breeders Cup Classic. Zenyatta running them down; you could feel the wall of noise...
3. El Pitirre wins the 1976 Tom Fool. I loved that chestnut son of Gallant Romeo.

sandpit
07-16-2015, 11:21 PM
Had the great fortune to be standing at the finish line on the outside rail of the turf course at Hollywood Park when the first (and maybe still only) Grade 1 race was won by a Japanese-bred horse. Other than Lure for his first BC Mile win, I don't think I've ever seen a horse look as good as Cesario did that day.

DdtPoKt2H30

Redboard
07-17-2015, 05:06 PM
2012 Preakness Stakes

I'll Have Another tracks down Bodemeister in the last 100 yards. Bodemeister sure looked like he wasn’t going to be caught, what an amazing finish. Shame that I’ll Have Another never got to finish the triple crown.

7a7A5XXoy0w

dilanesp
07-17-2015, 08:48 PM
Obviously 29 years has clouded the memory a bit as I remembered Bedside Promise engaging Skywalker much earlier. Bedside Promise turned into a pretty nice horse also. That was one of the early Jawl Brothers horses. He broke his maiden at Longacres as a horse in a 14-1 field entry. I believe it was a 14 horse field with 12 betting interests. Bedside Promise was 1 of 3 in the "field" entry. Geez, comparing Longacres to Emerald Downs, what a difference. There were dozens of field entries every meet at Longacres. And a dozen races a week with full fields of 12 with 4 AEs. They ran very few Maidens for older horses. If your horse was a 4 year old maiden, the horse had to be shipped to Portland, Yakima, Spokane, or Vancouver BC. There just wasn't enough barn space to hold the older maidens. From 1982 until the announcement of the sale of Longacres to Boeing in 1991, that was as outstanding a "B" level track as could be. Very, very good racing, and I mean Wednesday through Sunday, 10 races a day with an average of 10 horses per race, all meet long.

I saw the 1986 Mile too. (But I remembered it correctly.) At the time, I didn't know how good Bedside Promise was, so I figured Skywalker was slumming. In fact, they were both very good horses (Bedside Promise was third to Smile and beat (the concededly incredibly overrated and astoundingly ordinary New York sprinter) Groovy in the BC Sprint, and Skywalker, who had won the 1985 Santa Anita Derby, won the third Breeders' Cup Classic in 1986.)

ultracapper
07-17-2015, 10:59 PM
Dilanesp, if you were around Longacres at that time, do you remember Hilco Scamper? All my old time buddies can't remember him, even though one of them remembers his nemesis, Zulu Whiz. Of course, I'm starting to question my memory now.

dilanesp
07-17-2015, 11:56 PM
Dilanesp, if you were around Longacres at that time, do you remember Hilco Scamper? All my old time buddies can't remember him, even though one of them remembers his nemesis, Zulu Whiz. Of course, I'm starting to question my memory now.

Hilco Scamper made it down to Southern California, and i saw him run down here (I went up to Renton to see the '86 Mile.)

I think he was in the Snow Chief-Ferdinand crop, not totally sure. He was definitely fast and won a bunch of races in Washington

ReplayRandall
07-18-2015, 12:08 AM

Ultra, here's a nice video clip of Hilco Scamper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t0C0RN1Lro

ultracapper
07-18-2015, 12:49 AM
THANK YOU RR.
I had no idea he was so accomplished. I was there the day he broke his maiden. The horse that finished 2nd was a horse named Hot Rocks, who was making his 2nd start. I had bet Hot Rocks in his debut, and was waiting for his 2nd start. I went down with my soon to be father-in-law as I told him about Hot Rocks and he said, "Great, let's go". Gary Baze had ridden Hot Rocks in his debut, but he ended up on Hilco Scamper. My Father-in-law gave me my first lesson in jockey intentions that day. He just said, "What the hell is Baze doing?" I was all, "don't worry, blah, blah, blah" He said, "Mike Chambers, John Roche (the owner. Was the owner of the sire Knights Choice, a monster sire of precocious get), we're betting this one. I was heart broken, but did as I was told, and watched one of the most incredible races I'd ever seen. There was never a doubt. Hilco Scamper just blew up as they straightened for home, and Baze hardly moved a muscle.

I did not know he had hit the Cali circuits. I wasn't paying near as much attention at that time. First, there was my soon to be father-in-law's daughter who had me messed up three sheets to twisted nut sacks all the time (30 years later, my wife still spins my head), and there was a lot of snow in Seattle at that time, if you know what I mean. I was never shy about that stuff. A beautiful day at Longacres with a pretty girl and a fast buzz was really what I was doing at that time.

Anyhow, THANKS again. That really brought back a ton of memories.

dilanesp
07-18-2015, 05:23 PM
THANK YOU RR.
I had no idea he was so accomplished. I was there the day he broke his maiden. The horse that finished 2nd was a horse named Hot Rocks, who was making his 2nd start. I had bet Hot Rocks in his debut, and was waiting for his 2nd start. I went down with my soon to be father-in-law as I told him about Hot Rocks and he said, "Great, let's go". Gary Baze had ridden Hot Rocks in his debut, but he ended up on Hilco Scamper. My Father-in-law gave me my first lesson in jockey intentions that day. He just said, "What the hell is Baze doing?" I was all, "don't worry, blah, blah, blah" He said, "Mike Chambers, John Roche (the owner. Was the owner of the sire Knights Choice, a monster sire of precocious get), we're betting this one. I was heart broken, but did as I was told, and watched one of the most incredible races I'd ever seen. There was never a doubt. Hilco Scamper just blew up as they straightened for home, and Baze hardly moved a muscle.

I did not know he had hit the Cali circuits. I wasn't paying near as much attention at that time. First, there was my soon to be father-in-law's daughter who had me messed up three sheets to twisted nut sacks all the time (30 years later, my wife still spins my head), and there was a lot of snow in Seattle at that time, if you know what I mean. I was never shy about that stuff. A beautiful day at Longacres with a pretty girl and a fast buzz was really what I was doing at that time.

Anyhow, THANKS again. That really brought back a ton of memories.

Actually, if you liked Hilco Scamper, you would have loved Chinook Pass, who was another Washington champion who came down to the California circuit and kicked major butt. He ended up winning an Eclipse Award. Ran a few years earlier, 1982-83 range.

ultracapper
07-18-2015, 10:57 PM
Nobody up here in the Pacific Northwest that has any familiarity with the final 15 years of Longacres, I mean NOBODY, isn't very, very, very aware of Chinook Pass. Simply the fastest horse to ever step foot in the state of Washington. Ran 2nd to Pompeii Court in the 1982 Longacres Mile as a 3yo, and came back the next year and buried British Columbian super horse Travelling Victor, with Chris Loseth up, in the 1983 Longacres Mile. One Laffitt Pincay Jr. guided him around the track that day, and it was the last time Chinook Pass ever raced. A couple days later it was announced he had a career ending injury. Longacres closed and when the track records were recorded for history, Chinook Pass held the 5 furlong track record, matter of fact, it was the world record for some time, of 55 and 1. That horse flat cooked.

ronsmac
07-19-2015, 12:39 AM
The 1983 Acorn. Ski Goggle handing Princess Rooney her first defeat. She went to the front and never looked back. A close 2nd would be Conquistador Cielo crushing in the 1982 Belmont Stakes.

goatchaser
07-19-2015, 11:02 PM
Nobody up here in the Pacific Northwest that has any familiarity with the final 15 years of Longacres, I mean NOBODY, isn't very, very, very aware of Chinook Pass. Simply the fastest horse to ever step foot in the state of Washington. Ran 2nd to Pompeii Court in the 1982 Longacres Mile as a 3yo, and came back the next year and buried British Columbian super horse Travelling Victor, with Chris Loseth up, in the 1983 Longacres Mile. One Laffitt Pincay Jr. guided him around the track that day, and it was the last time Chinook Pass ever raced. A couple days later it was announced he had a career ending injury. Longacres closed and when the track records were recorded for history, Chinook Pass held the 5 furlong track record, matter of fact, it was the world record for some time, of 55 and 1. That horse flat cooked.
I remember him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwX4A7ire2s

ultracapper
07-20-2015, 01:03 PM
Goatchaser, Thanks for posting that. The next video that follows is Chinook Pass's 1983 Longacres Mile victory. If you listen to names behind him in the stretch run, you'll here the horse in 5th place at the final call is Foolish Pleasure. That horse wasn't as fast as Chinook Pass obviously, but he once ran 6 1/2 furlongs at Longacres in 1:13.4

Man, they used to supe that track up, and they still do it at Emerald every now and then. I don't know if it's the air up here, or the dirt that we use up here, or what, but they've always been able to make a race track as fast as a freeway.

ultracapper
07-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Sorry, Foolish Owners, not Foolish Pleasure. HAHA

FocusWiz
07-20-2015, 01:21 PM
For me (and as has already been mentioned by others), Forego's 1976 Marlboro Cup.I remember that one. Bill Shoemaker had to carry over 40 pounds to get up to 137 pounds.

I had the winner in that race, but wasn't at all thinking I would win when I saw him back in the pack at the top of the stretch. Shoemaker knew that the rail was dead that year and the track was off, making it even worse.

goatchaser
07-20-2015, 01:36 PM
Sorry, Foolish Owners, not Foolish Pleasure. HAHA
You had me for a sec Capper with that Foolish Pleasure..lol. I did watch the mile race and never heard a Foolish Pleasure call. I think all west coast tracks get super fast at times. The best suped up track ever was Turf Paradise.

alf1380
07-20-2015, 02:53 PM
This was mine. I live in Miami, so my IN PERSON memories are all from Calder and Gulfstream Park.

This was the one race that has always stuck with me. Artax setting a track record, and at the time BC record for 6 furlongs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlXDb_XMUrU

SuperPickle
07-20-2015, 05:51 PM
Bet Twice's Haskell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKmnr13EYiw

Maximillion
07-20-2015, 08:54 PM
I never got the chance to see many great stakes performances live in person...but one race stands out as probably most memorable.

It was just an alw race-it was Unbridled returning from a layoff at 7f.

Honestly i didnt have much interest in the race-but a friend made a real large win bet on another horse,who looked like the fastest sprinter on the grounds.He asked me what i thought and i told him i liked his chances.(he ran second)

In what seemed like the time it took the announcer to say "Unbridled uncoils"-"Heres Unbridled!" he not only erased about a 6 length lead but opened up another 6 pulling away.I have never seen a horse move like that and it left a lasting impression on me.

EMD4ME
07-20-2015, 09:00 PM
Bet Twice's Haskell...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKmnr13EYiw

THEY'RE OFF, THEY'RE OFF, THEY'RE OFF

I used to love hearing his voice resonate all across Mahmot Pahk. The echo has stayed in my memory banks for 30 years.

What a race too....You could feel the vibe from the crowd...Good Ol days...

dilanesp
07-20-2015, 10:14 PM
I never got the chance to see many great stakes performances live in person...but one race stands out as probably most memorable.

Honestly i didnt have much interest in the race-but a friend made a real large win bet on another horse,who looked like the fastest sprinter on the grounds.He asked me what i thought and i told him i liked his chances.(he ran second)

In what seemed like the time it took the announcer to say "Unbridled uncoils"-"Heres Unbridled!" he not only erased about a 6 length lead but opened up another 6 pulling away.I have never seen a horse move like that and it left a lasting impression on me.

People don't always realize that class horses can often sprint. Strike the Gold, Turkoman, Forego, Ferdinand, and Unbridled were all amazingly effective sprinters.

Rex Phinney
07-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Keeping in mind I haven't been around nearly as long as some of you, I'm going to take the ole "Dude".

The 2014 Big Cap. He went 6f in 1:09+ a mile in 1:31+ and two darn good horses breathing down his neck for the stretch run. The roar from the Santa Anita crowd as the Dude found more was filled with respect for a horse who was supposed to be finished against two who were in their prime.

We watched him many times at Santa Anita, my wife described his running style best "The other horses don't matter to the dude, with him the only thing you wonder is will he sit down on the track today or not". On those days that he didn't "sit down" he sort of owned the place for a bit. This was his last stand to win a big one a the track that suited him so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UhpEVuj0gc

Other notables would be Wise Dan in the 2012 BC Mile, watching Shared Belief run by California Chrome and Fort Larned holding off Mucho Macho Man when the whole world expected him to go by.

KPMats10
07-22-2015, 05:43 PM
No contest at all for me:

2005 Preakness Stakes - Afleet Alex

My vote as well. I saw that race start to finish, and Alex was my Derby horse and my pony in the Preakness. so I'm probably a little sentimental about it.

But I also thoroughly enjoyed the 1998 Belmont, except for the results. I went to every Belmont from 1997-2013 and the place was never as loud as it was when Real Quiet turned for home with the lead. I imagine it was a little louder this year than my year's of attendance. But what a finish and what a call this was.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AodBv._7xFi_QdNiTAfQ2pibvZx4?p=1998+be lmont+stakes&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

dilanesp
07-22-2015, 06:02 PM
My vote as well. I saw that race start to finish, and Alex was my Derby horse and my pony in the Preakness. so I'm probably a little sentimental about it.

But I also thoroughly enjoyed the 1998 Belmont, except for the results. I went to every Belmont from 1997-2013 and the place was never as loud as it was when Real Quiet turned for home with the lead. I imagine it was a little louder this year than my year's of attendance. But what a finish and what a call this was.

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AodBv._7xFi_QdNiTAfQ2pibvZx4?p=1998+be lmont+stakes&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-901&fp=1

Of all the things that Durkin gets praised for, that call is the most ridiculous.

Do you realize not a single person heard that call when it was made, unless maybe he was going to the bathroom at Belmont Park during the race?

Nobody heard it on track because of the screaming. Nobody heard it on television because it was on ABC with Dave Johnson calling it.

That was a completely wasted effort by Durkin, and yet everyone now says how great it was.

rastajenk
07-22-2015, 06:36 PM
Spend A Buck's Derby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-MRD9QutB8)

I was looking for his Cradle Stakes win at River Downs but couldn't find it. As I recall, he blew the roof off of my par chart for two-year-olds at RD. But I saw his Derby, too, so that's my contribution to the thread.

Plus, you get the call from Mike Battaglia! :jump:

Rex Phinney
07-22-2015, 09:11 PM
Of all the things that Durkin gets praised for, that call is the most ridiculous.

Do you realize not a single person heard that call when it was made, unless maybe he was going to the bathroom at Belmont Park during the race?

Nobody heard it on track because of the screaming. Nobody heard it on television because it was on ABC with Dave Johnson calling it.

That was a completely wasted effort by Durkin, and yet everyone now says how great it was.

I'll still say it was great, you can't help the crowd noise, it's not like he was making the call in the parking lot by himself, he was the track announcer.

I don't think we should toss every call that noone at the track could hear from screaming, we'd have none left. At least not this one, it is damn good.

ultracapper
07-23-2015, 12:39 AM
Spend A Buck's Derby (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-MRD9QutB8)

I was looking for his Cradle Stakes win at River Downs but couldn't find it. As I recall, he blew the roof off of my par chart for two-year-olds at RD. But I saw his Derby, too, so that's my contribution to the thread.

Plus, you get the call from Mike Battaglia! :jump:

Spend A Buck's Derby is my personal most impressive race I've ever seen. I watched it on a monitor at Longacres. His move on the far turn was breath-taking. I was tilting back on my chair and almost fell to the ground. He separated from the field in just a few strides. 2 lengths, 5 lengths, just like that. It was like God picked him up and moved him forward 20 yards.

rastajenk
07-23-2015, 06:37 AM
Battaglia used a "gaining ground" at the eighth pole, but that was relative to the chasers, not the leader, who laid down fast fractions and remained "all alone" at the end. One of my favorite races, for sure. :ThmbUp:

outofthebox
07-23-2015, 07:49 AM
Grand Canyons' 1989 Hollywood Futurity. Scorches a mile in 1:33 around one turn equaling same time as older barn mate Criminal Type just run earlier on the card. Can't find the race on Youtube..

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2015, 11:41 AM

That was a completely wasted effort by Durkin, and yet everyone now says how great it was.This is as nonsensical as it gets around here.

How can it, on the one hand, be a wasted effort if the call itself is, as you say, ridiculous?

Just because "nobody heard it" doesn't mean it wasn't a great call.

Plenty of people have actually heard it, thanks to the internet and replays.

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, remembers Johnson's call of that race. But LOTS of people remember Durkin's. I'd like to see you refute that...

dilanesp
07-23-2015, 03:10 PM
This is as nonsensical as it gets around here.

How can it, on the one hand, be a wasted effort if the call itself is, as you say, ridiculous?

Just because "nobody heard it" doesn't mean it wasn't a great call.

Plenty of people have actually heard it, thanks to the internet and replays.

NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY, remembers Johnson's call of that race. But LOTS of people remember Durkin's. I'd like to see you refute that...

Producing youtube videos is not why a track has an announcer.

PaceAdvantage
07-23-2015, 03:17 PM
Producing youtube videos is not why a track has an announcer.Your disregard of Durkin has clouded your judgement. A good call is a good call no matter who hears it or when it's heard.

I didn't hear Chic Anderson's call of Secretariat's Belmont as it happened...and neither did countless others who were only a few years old at the time. And yet, all of us who were too young to hear it live all agree it was a pretty great call...

There appears to be some serious disconnect here.

Are you saying Durkin's call of the Real Quiet triple crown bid wasn't great? Because as it stands now, I don't really know what you think of it, as your musings on this have been convoluted at best.

dilanesp
07-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Your disregard of Durkin has clouded your judgement. A good call is a good call no matter who hears it or when it's heard.

I didn't hear Chic Anderson's call of Secretariat's Belmont as it happened...and neither did countless others who were only a few years old at the time. And yet, all of us who were too young to hear it live all agree it was a pretty great call...

There appears to be some serious disconnect here.

Are you saying Durkin's call of the Real Quiet triple crown bid wasn't great? Because as it stands now, I don't really know what you think of it, as your musings on this have been convoluted at best.

Chic Anderson also called Seattle Slew's Belmont. Have you ever heard that call? Would it detract at all from your respect or love of Seattle Slew or that moment that Anderson gave it a pedestrian call?

Vin Scully shut up for something like 4 minutes when Henry Aaron broke the home run record. There was literally nothing he needed to say.

We don't have a track announcer because it's impossible to understand a great horse race without one. We have a track announcer so that the people at the track, at simulcast facilities, and watching on television will know where the horses are in the race.

Real Quiet losing the Triple Crown by a nose was an amazing event. It was amazing on television with Dave Johnson calling it. Tom Durkin literally added nothing to it-- he wasted his breath. We'd still remember it just as much had Johnson's call been piped over the track speakers.

EMD4ME
07-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Quote "It was amazing on television with Dave Johnson calling it."

Dave Johnson botched that call. They were inside the 1/8 pole and he called Thomas Jo rallying and Victory Gallop moves to 2nd almost as if he somone tapped him on the shoulder and said "Victory Gallop Dave...."

yeah, real amazing call, NOT.

I don't care if no one heard Durkin's call. To me that was the call of the 20th and 21st Centuries.

thespaah
07-23-2015, 08:47 PM

Oy vey......
Gee, is it possible for you to be any more cynical?

tubesockshakur
07-23-2015, 09:04 PM
1988 big cap Alysheba and the 1987 classic......alysheba late surge against Ferdinand........ What a call from the great T.D. man I miss that guy.

alhattab
07-23-2015, 10:18 PM
1988 big cap Alysheba and the 1987 classic......alysheba late surge against Ferdinand........ What a call from the great T.D. man I miss that guy.

One of Durkin's best calls in my view. Perfect set up for him with one favorite near the lead and the other a rallier. The way he built the crescendo in this race was masterpiece, plus the crowd in the background. "And Alysheba continues to pick 'em up on the outside, with a dramatic run toward the leaders! They're at the quarter pole here at Hollywood Park…!" Awesome!

PaceAdvantage
07-25-2015, 02:57 PM
Chic Anderson also called Seattle Slew's Belmont. Have you ever heard that call? Would it detract at all from your respect or love of Seattle Slew or that moment that Anderson gave it a pedestrian call?

Vin Scully shut up for something like 4 minutes when Henry Aaron broke the home run record. There was literally nothing he needed to say.

We don't have a track announcer because it's impossible to understand a great horse race without one. We have a track announcer so that the people at the track, at simulcast facilities, and watching on television will know where the horses are in the race.

Real Quiet losing the Triple Crown by a nose was an amazing event. It was amazing on television with Dave Johnson calling it. Tom Durkin literally added nothing to it-- he wasted his breath. We'd still remember it just as much had Johnson's call been piped over the track speakers.I'm on record here many times saying Durkin was one-of-a-kind. He wasn't just an announcer describing the action on the track, he was an integral PART of the race...part of the action...part of the reason I looked forward to the big races.

Your comments are absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. So we'll agree to vehemently disagree.

ILovetheInner
07-25-2015, 04:13 PM
I'm on record here many times saying Durkin was one-of-a-kind. He wasn't just an announcer describing the action on the track, he was an integral PART of the race...part of the action...part of the reason I looked forward to the big races.

Your comments are absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. So we'll agree to vehemently disagree.

I agree with this all day long. Perhaps not his greatest call, but most memorably to me was Arazi in the BCJ. It was astounding, we were astounded, and his call embellished that sense of awe and emotion. I was watching Arazi in that race, watching him move I wanted to be astounded, and then TD is crying out, YES!, be astounded.....he nearly blew the turn and blasted past Bertrando just the same! I didn't care if he called him a "superstar".....it's not as if I bet Arazi when he showed back up for the KYD. But that what I just saw is something rarely seen, yes, that I could enjoy it as such in the moment is something I thank TD for. No other race caller could have done it like that.

cj
07-31-2015, 01:59 PM
This is a top 5 race that I've seen in person. With the Haskell coming up Sunday it is worth a look. I'll add it is was painful from a betting perspective.

HKmnr13EYiw

rastajenk
08-01-2015, 06:46 AM
That was a great year for 3yo's: depth and quality all over the place.

ultracapper
08-01-2015, 10:48 PM
Bet Twice was a hell of a nice horse. His Belmont was a beauty.

Swale
08-02-2015, 09:09 AM

That's this race, which was actually a stakes. And Housebuster was a heck of a horse in his own right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQbYpOC2mk

GatetoWire
08-02-2015, 11:25 AM
the 2012 Alabama
Questing was amazing and the time was ultra fast and only Go For Wand has run faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuwQ4qSZmQE

Maximillion
08-02-2015, 06:35 PM
That's this race, which was actually a stakes. And Housebuster was a heck of a horse in his own right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQbYpOC2mk

That was a great race but the one i seen live was at AP
I was aware of his exploits the prior year and impressed, but seeing that up close and personal was something else- and I became a big fan that day (the alw race) as strange as that sounds.

CosmicWon
08-02-2015, 10:32 PM
GREATEST Race I've ever seen in person is: (don't know how to embed, sorry!)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XqFFnm6C9oY

MOST DOMINANT PERFORMANCE:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hImo7k1wGyE

MOST HISTORICALLY SIGNIFICANT:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WyDcXtVb8_U

Man, have I been lucky. I'm not that old but I've seen awesome horses race from Azeri to Ouija Board to Funny Cide to Fabulous Strike to Wise Dan to Successful Dan to Gio Ponti to Uncle Mo to Rachel Alexandra to Curlin/Street Sense/Hard Spun to Shackleford to Groupie Doll to Zenyatta to Blame to Royal Delta to American Pharoah all LIVE and I don't for one moment take that for granted.

As nerdy as it sounds, they're like celebrities to me. The perks of living in Lexington I guess.

Man o' War
08-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Was at Hollywood Park for the 79 Gold Cup where Affirmed carried 132lbs and was spotting 12 lbs to the Charlie Whittingham trained Sirlad, who pressured him all through the race finishing the 1 1/4 in 1:58 2/5. A tick off the world record at the time....After that race, opposing trainers were talking about Affirmed in a different light...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0BwOyKX6g0

dilanesp
08-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I'm on record here many times saying Durkin was one-of-a-kind. He wasn't just an announcer describing the action on the track, he was an integral PART of the race...part of the action...part of the reason I looked forward to the big races.

You never answer my question about the 1977 Belmont. Does Chic Anderson's completely pedestrian call (which I have no problem with) ruin the moment at all?

If it were really true that it mattered one bit what some idiot on the roof was saying during a memorable racing moment, you would certainly move the 1977 Triple Crown down a notch as all three races were called (by Anderson and Dick Wooley) without any Durkin-style flourishes.

The race is what is exciting. All the track announcers could literally drop dead tomorrow and horse racing would still be an exciting sport. It was an exciting sport before tracks even had loudspeakers. Indeed, it was the most popular sport in America at that time.

And now, with all these amazing wordsmiths calling the races-- it's a completely unpopular, niche sport.

We should stop worrying about who is announcing the races. It's meaningless except as an aid to people who don't know where the horses are during the running of the race.

PaceAdvantage
08-03-2015, 04:08 PM
I didn't answer your question because it's meaningless to the discussion.

I never stated a bad call can ruin an otherwise exciting race.

What I stated was that Durkin's calls ADDED to the race. Big difference, and the reason why I hold him in such high esteem.