PDA

View Full Version : Speed patterns

mrroyboy
07-13-2015, 01:34 PM
I still think speed and speed rating patterns like the sheets in T-bred racing are very important. The thing is if a horse isn't in shape all the other factors are mostly worthless.
Any more suggestions? Thank you.

coachv30
07-13-2015, 02:41 PM
I think that's where trip handicapping really comes in. If the ratings are good and you spot a strong move last out, that may tell you which way this horse's form is swinging. Disregard the less than quality finish that a lot of the public is looking for and rely more on past numbers/ratings and moves last out; go with your gut from there.

mrroyboy
07-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Thank you Coach. :ThmbUp:

LottaKash
07-13-2015, 10:38 PM
I still think speed and speed rating patterns like the sheets in T-bred racing are very important. The thing is if a horse isn't in shape all the other factors are mostly worthless.
Any more suggestions? Thank you.

That's it Roy, if your horse isn't in shape to win, or he is regressing in form, unless he is running against a hapless and classless field of plugs, he can have all the speed in the world and he will need it just to keep up...

I can't count the number of tickets that I have torn up thru the years, betting on the fastest horse in the race, that wasn't in shape enough to run to those numbers...haha...

Stick
07-14-2015, 02:17 AM
I think the key to form handicapping is being able to evaluate the droppers. The form of horses racing at the same class are pretty easy to judge. Horses moving up require a little more work but can be judged by speed, fractions, and previous ability at the class. But the droppers are tricky. I am not talking about a horse that is dropping back down to his level of success after a dull start against better. I mean a horse racing evenly against a constant higher class ( 3 starts or more). It is very hard to judge their form. Are they dropping in an easy spot or are they off form? I have tried many different methods of evaluating these type of horses and although I've made some progress, I am still often looking at a race where this kind of dropper is the wildcard.