PDA

View Full Version : Racecharts

Kash$
07-13-2015, 01:19 PM
I currently use the timeformus racecharts great tool plenty of info.

What do you look for specifically in a chart?

Do you watch replays after reading the charts?

Do you download the charts and makes notes?

Thanks

EMD4ME
07-13-2015, 05:39 PM
I currently use the timeformus racecharts great tool plenty of info.

What do you look for specifically in a chart?

Do you watch replays after reading the charts?

Do you download the charts and makes notes?

Thanks

I may get ridiculed by Steve for volunteering my opinion but whatever...

1) I list all races (via the charts) in a notebook (one can use a spreadsheet if they prefer) listed in race distance order. Shortest sprint first, then longer sprints, dirt routes and then finally the Turf races. (It makes it easier on my eye to compare them).

2) I list, to the right, the top 3 finisher's pace call. For example: 789 (winner was 7th at the pace call, 2nd horse was 8th at the pace call and the 3rd finisher came from 9th).

3) Above the top 3 finisher's pace call, I list WHERE they spent the race. For example. 3-5W, R, R. That way I keep track of what paths MIGHT have been favorable or dead that day.

4) I look for internal splits that were amazingly fast or slow. I look for numbers that might be fake (if there is only 1 Turf route that day, that number is a total guess).

5) I look for biases. Did horses who didn't figure ride a bias to good runs. Were horses that should have ran well, inhibited by a bias.

6) I use this bible as a way of keeping track of trends/seeing how legit a pace # or final number is.

I use the charts as the place where I house my trip notes. yes, I take notes on all horses that run in a race.

Hope this helps. Just my way of doing things.

Robert Fischer
07-13-2015, 05:45 PM
TimeformUS seems like a good product. I briefly subscribed to them, the last time I gave the game a ride.

Some of the regular TimeformUS users are gonna want to chime in but there are certain ways to 'personalize' their charts that is going to give you a view of the information that you prefer.

I happen to have liked to use the 'behind' setting for position/beaten-lengths part. I just prefer to see the lengths (back from the leader) as they are in the past performances, rather than between individual horses.

TimeformUS also shows the performance figure that they gave each horse, and occasionally you will see a horse with a lower figure who finished slightly in front of a higher figure horse. Usually that means that the pace for that race was such that the metric for the higher figure horse gave him extra credit, in spite of the order of finish. Good chance to check those out, decide which ones you agree/disagree with and whether that calls for a bet.:eek:

With Charts in general, regardless of who puts them out, I want a quick picture of the race, who won, their odds, the general race flow, the pace etc... Then I can always watch the replay if I feel that something significant has happened.

Kash$
07-13-2015, 05:50 PM
I may get ridiculed by Steve for volunteering my opinion but whatever...

1) I list all races (via the charts) in a notebook (one can use a spreadsheet if they prefer) listed in race distance order. Shortest sprint first, then longer sprints, dirt routes and then finally the Turf races. (It makes it easier on my eye to compare them).

2) I list, to the right, the top 3 finisher's pace call. For example: 789 (winner was 7th at the pace call, 2nd horse was 8th at the pace call and the 3rd finisher came from 9th).

3) Above the top 3 finisher's pace call, I list WHERE they spent the race. For example. 3-5W, R, R. That way I keep track of what paths MIGHT have been favorable or dead that day.

4) I look for internal splits that were amazingly fast or slow. I look for numbers that might be fake (if there is only 1 Turf route that day, that number is a total guess).

5) I look for biases. Did horses who didn't figure ride a bias to good runs. Were horses that should have ran well, inhibited by a bias.

6) I use this bible as a way of keeping track of trends/seeing how legit a pace # or final number is.

I use the charts as the place where I house my trip notes. yes, I take notes on all horses that run in a race.

Hope this helps. Just my way of doing things.

How many tracks?

EMD4ME
07-13-2015, 06:12 PM
How many tracks?

Just 1 and maybe 2.

When I was 18, I could do more. No more than 1 or 2, at 39. Need to have a life, take care of family, work 50 hours a week, have a social life etc. etc. etc.

Once I did it and mastered a meet or circuit, I could never go back to NOT doing it. That is how I feel, at least.

I found that as my buddies jump from track to track betting blindy into other track's pools with little formal handicapping done, I'm the geek closely watching a replay of my home track (pan and head on) taking notes. I'd rather know more about 1 circuit than a little about many.

To each his own. Just my 2 cents pal.

Remember, it only takes 1 nugget that other people don't know about to have an edge....

When you think you know something, you might bet a decent amount of $.

When you KNOW you KNOW something, you will bet a whole lot more.

If you're good at this, you will make huge hits, which will offset losses.

Get a good rebate and you're enjoying your hobby for free or making money at it.

Kash$
07-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Em clear your mail

EMD4ME
07-13-2015, 07:36 PM
Sorry, cleared...

classhandicapper
07-14-2015, 10:21 AM
END4ME,

That's a serious amount of work. :ThmbUp:

I don't take nearly as many trip notes as I did at one time. I find that in NY, the chart comments cover 90% of everything accurately. I also pay way less attention to whether horses were wide or not unless there was a bias, the horse was making a serious run at the time he was wide, or the ground loss was extreme. I think ground loss can be overrated. Instead, I try to watch races looking for very specific trips I believe might be underrated. I only note those. There aren't many of those.

I generate race and track profile stuff out of a database from time to time.

The only very time consuming thing for me is bias evaluation. That can take a lot time because I do NY every day and other major tracks around the country here or there when I need to.

EMD4ME
07-14-2015, 01:39 PM
END4ME,

That's a serious amount of work. :ThmbUp:

I don't take nearly as many trip notes as I did at one time. I find that in NY, the chart comments cover 90% of everything accurately. I also pay way less attention to whether horses were wide or not unless there was a bias, the horse was making a serious run at the time he was wide, or the ground loss was extreme. I think ground loss can be overrated. Instead, I try to watch races looking for very specific trips I believe might be underrated. I only note those. There aren't many of those.

I generate race and track profile stuff out of a database from time to time.

The only very time consuming thing for me is bias evaluation. That can take a lot time because I do NY every day and other major tracks around the country here or there when I need to.

It is.....a lot of work but when I'm at the track (or at home) it keeps me busy in between races (re watching replays of the day) so I don't get too involved with other tracks.

Also, it's nice open up a form and have my note there (of a horse doing NO running while being scrubbed hard) instead of thinking maybe this horse did no running. I like to know something is the case, not think it's the case.

I hate it when I open up my form (I use formulator for note taking) and have no notes. I feel NAKED and no one wants me NAKED LMAO !!!