PDA

View Full Version : tablet & wifi question.

gillenr
07-12-2015, 07:06 PM
Essentially my wife wants a bigger screen than her phone has. Is it possible to connect a tablet thru her phone to the web?
Thanks

FocusWiz
07-12-2015, 07:15 PM
Yes if the phone has a capability called wifi tethering (also sometimes called wifi sharing). The tablet with use the phone's data plan treating the phone as a router. You would need to turn this feature on and then give it a security code and connect to it as you might any other router with a password.

Because of the complexity of the world, some cell phone companies prevent tethering of other devices to the phone and some have a different data limit for tethered devices (depending on your carrier and data plan). Despite that, many cell phone companies actually sell a tablet which uses only their data network (since it is not a phone) and some sell something affectionately referred to as a phablet since it is a huge phone.

To make life more complicated, I once had a laptop which specifically was designed not to work with a phone as a router. It could connect to any wifi hotspot but could not connect with my phone as a router (though other devices had no problem). They said it was more secure that way.

Good luck with your specific needs and carrier.

YMMV

JustRalph
07-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Most offer it, but depending on the phone company you will pay extra.

If she's using Verizon she can get a jet pack for free, with a small contract. Just scream a little and they give it away

http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet-devices/jetpack-mifi-6620l/

Might be cheaper and more flexible with a 2nd device

Btw, she could get the jet pack, even if she's with another company

gillenr
07-13-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks to all for the info.