View Full Version : if you like baseball =great st louis-pirate game sat

judd
07-12-2015, 08:32 AM
http://m.mlb.com/pit/video/topic/8878822/v254297683/?c_id=pit

horses4courses
07-12-2015, 10:52 AM
That was a terrific game.
I only saw the highlights. Terrific :ThmbUp:

It may be the turning point for Pittsburgh.
There really isn't a stronger team in the NL, right now.

ldiatone
07-12-2015, 10:59 AM
YES!! Great Game! :jump:

Valuist
07-12-2015, 11:34 AM
Seeing the Cardinals lose made it good.

Rise Over Run
07-12-2015, 10:19 PM
Not a Cards fan, but go Cards!

If a Pittsburg team were playing against ISIS/Taliban/AlQaeda, I would root for ISIS/Taliban/AlQaeda.

horses4courses
07-12-2015, 10:24 PM
As good as that game was last night, had Curt Schilling been in the
commentary box, I doubt that I could have watched it for 14 innings.
Listening to the man makes having a root canal downright pleasant. :bang:

Valuist
07-15-2015, 10:56 AM
Having the All-Star game determine home field advantage is idiotic. The game is an exhibition. Can you imagine the NBA or NHL All Star games determining home court/ice? This is what Selig brought to the game, thanks to a one off situation where one team ran out of pitchers due to a tie score. Selig's the guy who turned a blind eye to all the PED use.

Of course, the "experts" will tell us how much better the AL is, just like they do every year, and somehow teams like the Giants and Cardinals seem to win every year that Boston isn't in.

horses4courses
07-15-2015, 11:06 AM
Having the All-Star game determine home field advantage is idiotic. The game is an exhibition. Can you imagine the NBA or NHL All Star games determining home court/ice? This is what Selig brought to the game, thanks to a one off situation where one team ran out of pitchers due to a tie score. Selig's the guy who turned a blind eye to all the PED use.

Of course, the "experts" will tell us how much better the AL is, just like they do every year, and somehow teams like the Giants and Cardinals seem to win every year that Boston isn't in.

They should tally the W/L of all inter-league games.
There isn't a much fairer way of determining home field advantage,
unless maybe you just used the records of all the playoff teams.

Home field advantage is not as big in baseball as the other major sports.
A good pitcher will win anywhere, although close games favor the home team in the late innings. Betting road teams in baseball can be profitable.

Valuist
07-15-2015, 11:42 AM
They should tally the W/L of all inter-league games.
There isn't a much fairer way of determining home field advantage,
unless maybe you just used the records of all the playoff teams.

Home field advantage is not as big in baseball as the other major sports.
A good pitcher will win anywhere, although close games favor the home team in the late innings. Betting road teams in baseball can be profitable.

I like your idea of the interleague W/L.

Another area in which MLB has dropped the ball is the futures game, which was played last Sunday, while real MLB games are going on. Why not move the game to the night following the All-Star game? There's NOTHING going on. Hardcore fans would definitely tune in. I doubt many are tuning in while real games are going on.

dnlgfnk
07-15-2015, 11:43 AM
That was a terrific game.
I only saw the highlights. Terrific :ThmbUp:

It may be the turning point for Pittsburgh.
There really isn't a stronger team in the NL, right now.

I think it will come down to which outfielder will emerge in the second half.

The disparity between McCutchen and the Cardinals tag team of Jay/Bourjos/Grichuk is the greatest among the two teams, using WAR as a significant indicator. The Cardinals most important edge is Heyward's superiority over Polanco to date.

Grichuk must develop and close the gap some for the Cardinals. If it's Polanco instead, then I agree that the game winning hit by Polanco in the highlighted game is a microcosm for the second half.

Valuist
07-15-2015, 01:56 PM
I think it will come down to which outfielder will emerge in the second half.

The disparity between McCutchen and the Cardinals tag team of Jay/Bourjos/Grichuk is the greatest among the two teams, using WAR as a significant indicator. The Cardinals most important edge is Heyward's superiority over Polanco to date.

Grichuk must develop and close the gap some for the Cardinals. If it's Polanco instead, then I agree that the game winning hit by Polanco in the highlighted game is a microcosm for the second half.

Heyward is a nice player, especially defensively. But we pretty much know his ceiling by now. By all accounts, Polanco hasn't come close to tapping his full potential. Can be a 5 tool player. Considering all their injuries, I don't know how St. Louis keeps on winning. Although I have heard whispers on them stealing signs.

judd
08-09-2015, 11:31 PM
Pirates - dodgers sun night :kiss: :) :)

horses4courses
08-09-2015, 11:35 PM
Both the Dodgers and Giants were swept by better teams
this weekend in Pittsburgh and Chicago. 50 games left, though. :cool: