PDA

View Full Version : Fire Barclay Tagg

azibuck
06-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Didn't mean to have this so close to the "Shoot Lukas" thread, but here it is. I'm not a trainer, don't know any, so maybe I'm just talking out of my butt, but:

"[Funny Cide] had no excuses," trainer Barclay Tagg said. "He can't run a mile against those kind of horses. I never did think he was a miler, but it's been drummed in my head forever so I thought it was worth a try."

Funny Cide's owners should fire Barclay Tagg. I agree he had no excuses, (unless he turns up sick or something). He was duller than dull. Funny Cide looked pretty relaxed running third behind a moderate pace in the Met Mile, unusual (being relaxed) for him, so I wouldn't be suprised if he does turn up sick.

But what does Tagg mean? If Pico Central had run a 44 flat/1:34 mile, with two or three right behind, then Tagg can say {any horse's name} can't run a mile against those kind of horses. But if FC can't run a mile in 1:35 after laying just off a :23.2/:46, the horse or his trainer stinks. Perhaps both.

This guy complains about everything. I think (but who knows with this guy) that by extension he also believes FC is not a sprinter. So what is he, a Grade III, two-turn router, when it's not hot or humid, cloudy, with 8.49% moisture in the track, and a small field of allowance types?

Funny Cide might suck, but I just think Tagg has no real plan or strategy for him. I can't blame the owners for forcing Tagg to run there, or anywhere, because if it were up to Tagg, he'd never run the horse. He'd just keep breezing him 5f in :58/:59. They worked him once on soggy turf, he didn't like it and that was the end of that experiment, as if that was a fair trial.

If Tagg doesn't like things like that "drummed in his head" then the owners and he should part ways. The owners should find someone on the same page as them, or strong enough to be honest with them about what he or she thinks the horse is capable of. Tagg just breezes the horse and goes with the flow, apparently.

I made no wager, or effort to, but I liked Gygistar with Pico Central. I thought the pace would be much hotter.

CryingForTheHorses
06-02-2004, 11:43 AM
FC breezing in 58,ran off before last years Belmont with the girl on his back in 57, This hore doesnt want to go 2 turns anymore period!!.He would be awesome going 7/8 in my opinion.As horses get older sometimes they change.Could be he is also bleeding inside,could be he has leg problems.Horses that do have leg problems have a hard time switching leads that many times.I feel if he runs 1 turn you will see a different horse.Hell 5/8 in 58 is very good if your a sprinter.

JustRalph
06-02-2004, 12:05 PM
I have three names for you:

Monarchos
( I swear that Derby took so much out of him it almost killed him)

War Emblem

Funny Cide

What do they all have in common..........they ran big in the spring-summer and none of them came back to run big again.

I think Bob Baffert had a point when he spoke about War Emblem. He said.........

"sometimes they figure out that they don't have to run like that anymore, if they don't want to"

ceejay
06-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by azibuck
So what is he, a Grade III, two-turn router

I think yes (and don't need all of those other qualifiers .:D ).

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Maybe some are tired of being overworked.

rokitman
06-02-2004, 04:07 PM
I think Tagg cracked under the pressure of having a horse like that. His paranoid willy-nilly management of that horse can't be helping. Last year he went from saying he was probably done for the year or a slight possibilty for the Empire Classic (restricted to NY State breds) to showing up in the BC Classic. From "done" to "ready for the BC Classic"??? I can't imagine any of the management that has happened since the Belmont happening if somebody like Bobby Frankel was training the horse.

When was the last time he ran his close-up pace-stalking Smarty Jones-like trip that got him all his best results? Ever since the the yahoos blamed his predictable Belmont loss on him being on the lead the horse has not ran the same type of race.

Don't underestimate how much Santos can mess up a horse. His sleep though 3/4's of the race and then start riding method works for the turf only. And the guy is one bad gate jockey. Witness the Haskell last year. Maybe the horse was not up to snuff that day but that doesn't explain missing the start by as much as he did that day. And if you follow NY racing, you know that was not a fluke.

Change the connections from Tagg/Santos to Frankel/ Bailey and watch that horse snap back into a Grade 1 winner.

CryingForTheHorses
06-02-2004, 05:54 PM
I dont understand,YOU guys just DONT get it,If the horse is bleeding inside, if he is sore.sooo many things!!.A horse like this worries trainers, TOOO nice a horse to do vet work!!. If that horse was in my barn, you can rest assure he would run BIG. I have even bought a horse that cost 250k from B Mott who coundnt win with him, Needled him to death,bought him very cheap,saw the asst trainer snicker as I handed over my cash...Horse won for me first time 23k purse.This horse s n a big stable,needs to be in a small barn with a very attentive trainer.Tell the owners I want to train him.Ill make him win again.The worst thing for this horse is having tooo many fingers in the pie

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2004, 06:39 PM
What kind of sore would he be? Not just legs?
When you say "bleeding", can bleeding in the lungs get bad or worse as a 4 yr old or do they always start bleeding younger?

CryingForTheHorses
06-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi Ken, yes a horse can get worse with bleeding.Take GH for example..Bled on me, Had to clean him up with antibiotics,then hope he didnt bled again..next race was a tough race where he finished 2nd..Bled out both nostrils,was also treated two days prior to the race.So the tougher the race,the more a bleeder will bleed,Stress trying to keep up,sore stifles,sore hocks,sore ankles.and not being to breath at the same time will certainly lose you the race.The only way you can really tell if your bleeder is free form any mucus or crap in his lungs is to scope him the day before a race, Lots of trainers will frown on this as they think its too close to a race.I always worry about my horses eating...a major factor in winning races..If they dont eat they dont have energy or enough oxygen in their blood for energy.

andicap
06-02-2004, 09:48 PM
Tom,
when I'm looking at a horse in the paddock and warming up on the track, what are some of the warning signs that he's going bad?

CryingForTheHorses
06-03-2004, 12:40 PM
I love to see a horse come to the paddock bouncing..not stupid just happy,I also pay very close attention to the trainer!!..The trainer will tell you in 1 way or another if his horse is sore..For instant..You have a horse come to the paddock with cold water bandages..watch the trainer..if the kid with the horse takes them off before 15mins on the padock clock..He is giving other trainers a GOOD look...means he is hoping to sell him..I rip up my claim slip when I see that..I just claimed a old horse winner of 700k..Hell the horse almost ran with his cold waters on..Trainer was very late taking them off..hehe I took him..just got beat a nose...no claim for him..3 other claims in same race and not 1 hit the board. I also watch after the tack is put on...Watch the horse walk out of his saddling stall...you may see him walking very short..also watch him walk away from you...His tail should always be in the center of his body as he walks...Lots of times a horse with rear end problems will have a kink in their tail..tail not in the center of the hind end. I also look for excessive sweating...Sometimes means the horse is strressed out cause he knows it going to hurt when he runs, Lastly, watch the jok thrown up..Watch the reaction of the horse...does he squat a little as the jock sits down??..If he does he may have a sore back from running sore.Also watch him warmup before the race...Is his stride short..if it is..save your money.