PDA

View Full Version : Horse Name, LARC Race 1, 7/9

Ocala Mike
07-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Connections must be old Brooklyn Dodgers fans; named a horse PREACHER ROE after the southpaw from the Ozarks who was one of my favorite pitchers in the early 50's. I don't think he was one of the "Boys of Summer" though, and he didn't get to share in their 1955 WS triumph.

Tor Ekman
07-10-2015, 01:49 PM
If I recall the story correctly, both Ralph Branca and Preacher Roe were warming up in the pen when Dressen called down to get a report and was told that Preacher had just bounced a couple of curve balls in the dirt . . . Dressen opted to go with Branca to pitch to Thomson, and the rest, as they say, is history

Stillriledup
07-10-2015, 02:13 PM
Isn't there a rumor that someone was stealing signs (I know what you're thinking, "Not those guys"!) from the center field wall on this famous play?

v j stauffer
07-10-2015, 02:21 PM
Isn't there a rumor that someone was stealing signs (I know what you're thinking, "Not those guys"!) from the center field wall on this famous play?

SRU in predictable mid-season form. Is there anything where you don't think the fix is in?

Stillriledup
07-10-2015, 02:36 PM
SRU in predictable mid-season form. Is there anything where you don't think the fix is in?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_Heard_%27Round_the_World_(baseball)

I was right. As usual. Btw, this isn't my theory on sign stealing, it's someone else's.

As far as fixed things go, I only think the fix is in when it is, if its honest and up and up, I'll say so.

castaway01
07-10-2015, 03:16 PM
Connections must be old Brooklyn Dodgers fans; named a horse PREACHER ROE after the southpaw from the Ozarks who was one of my favorite pitchers in the early 50's. I don't think he was one of the "Boys of Summer" though, and he didn't get to share in their 1955 WS triumph.

Preacher retired after the '54 season....ouch. Great name.

Ocala Mike
07-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Ralph Branca always said that the Giants stole signs at the Polo Grounds. If you recall, the clubhouses were in a building in straightaway center field. The story is they would station one of their clubhouse guys out there at a window with high-powered binoculars, but I'm not sure how the batter would get the signal if this was true.