Raiders great Kenny Stabler - 69yrs old

lamboguy
07-09-2015, 09:03 PM
loved him, my hero.

white light to all his friends, family and fans

JustRalph
07-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Loved the guy. One of the first playboy NFL QB's

They said a lefty couldn't get it done in the NFL.

Valuist
07-09-2015, 09:15 PM
One of the best LH QBs. After Steve Young, I can't think of a better lefty QB.

ArlJim78
07-09-2015, 09:16 PM
I loved everything about the Raiders back then, Stabler most of all. I spent a lot of time throwing the pigskin around in my day, and even though I'm a righty much of the time I spent perfecting my Stabler throwing impersonation, the way he griped the ball and slightly side armed throwing style.

MutuelClerk
07-09-2015, 09:33 PM
So sad." I read the playbook by the jukebox light". One of the best quotes of all time. MY favorite team. My favorite QB. I'm wearing something Raider tomorrow for the great Ken Stabler. R.I.P.

MutuelClerk
07-09-2015, 09:36 PM
The pass to Clarence Davis. The Holy Roller. Ghost to the post. Damn the Raiders were great then. Why is it football seemed to be at it's best when you were a kid?? No, it's not because the Raiders have sucked for years. Nice try......

MutuelClerk
07-09-2015, 09:54 PM
Raised in the Detroit area I started a Lion fan. IN November of 1970 I was 12 years old. Tom Dempsey made a 63 yard field goal against the Lions. Everyone knows the story, especially if you're in your 50's or higher. Well, I realized the Lions were cursed. MY friend had a book, media guide today. I wrote three teams who had black in their uniforms. The Saints who were still new and terrible. The Falcons ( always liked Harmon Wages), and the Raiders. The Saints and Falcons both sent little envelopes with stickers and such. A week later this HUGE manila envelope arrives with my name on it from the Raiders. All kinds of things inside and a letter thanking me for my interest in the Raiders. Signed by Al Davis ( probably wasn't in hindsight, who knows?). I adopted them that day. From just win baby to commitment to excellence. Stabler embodied the Raider image then. His passing stirs up great memories of football when I feel it was at it's best. Rivalries meant something. You didn't help the opponent up. Reciever's didn't come over the middle not feeling fear like they do today. Defenseless? Didn't matter. Different game today. I still hate the Steelers because of the Immaculate Deception. Respect them, but hate them. Same with the Broncos. Nawww, I just hate the Broncos. I miss football like it was. And I'm going to miss the Snake.

Tall One
07-09-2015, 09:58 PM
Also called Alabama football games on the radio. A true competitor, and tough as nails. RIP Snake..

dlivery
07-09-2015, 09:59 PM
Was not afraid to throw the Foot Ball

One those come along not very often QB that love to thread the needle

proximity
07-10-2015, 06:54 AM
ruined x-mas 1977. very sad to hear.

rip "snake."

Tor Ekman
07-10-2015, 07:53 AM
Not the strongest arm but accurate, fearless and clutch. One of the players who defined the NFL of the '70's. Belongs in the Football HOF, IMO

Valuist
07-10-2015, 09:52 AM
I see on Yahoo that two of Stabler's daughters are trending in the top 5 this morning.

Marshall Bennett
07-10-2015, 12:23 PM
Loved his style and fearlessness. Amazing he ended his career with more interceptions (222) than TD's (194). One of the greats none the less.
Rest in Peace tough guy.

Inner Dirt
07-10-2015, 12:32 PM
Raised in the Detroit area I started a Lion fan. IN November of 1970 I was 12 years old. Tom Dempsey made a 63 yard field goal against the Lions. Everyone knows the story, especially if you're in your 50's or higher. Well, I realized the Lions were cursed. MY friend had a book, media guide today. I wrote three teams who had black in their uniforms. The Saints who were still new and terrible. The Falcons ( always liked Harmon Wages), and the Raiders. The Saints and Falcons both sent little envelopes with stickers and such. A week later this HUGE manila envelope arrives with my name on it from the Raiders. All kinds of things inside and a letter thanking me for my interest in the Raiders. Signed by Al Davis ( probably wasn't in hindsight, who knows?). I adopted them that day. From just win baby to commitment to excellence. Stabler embodied the Raider image then. His passing stirs up great memories of football when I feel it was at it's best. Rivalries meant something. You didn't help the opponent up. Reciever's didn't come over the middle not feeling fear like they do today. Defenseless? Didn't matter. Different game today. I still hate the Steelers because of the Immaculate Deception. Respect them, but hate them. Same with the Broncos. Nawww, I just hate the Broncos. I miss football like it was. And I'm going to miss the Snake.

I think you and me are one of the few who remember #5 he had a pretty brief career as a back up. What I remember most about him is in an episode of NFL films a hidden microphine picked up Norm Van Brocklin (The Falcons head coach at the time) chewing Wages out like he was a little kid.

magwell
07-10-2015, 12:36 PM
Snake always reminded me of Bobby Layne, tough QB and game as they come.........:cool:

Tom
07-10-2015, 12:42 PM
Wow, only 69!

The team you loved to hate - the Raiders.
Back when football was football.

We used to get the Raiders almost every week on the late game.

Kenny was the man.
RIP

ronsmac
07-10-2015, 05:40 PM
The pass to Clarence Davis. The Holy Roller. Ghost to the post. Damn the Raiders were great then. Why is it football seemed to be at it's best when you were a kid?? No, it's not because the Raiders have sucked for years. Nice try......Everything seemed better when we were kids. I thought Atari was awesome when it actually sucked in retrospect.

NJ Stinks
07-10-2015, 06:42 PM
I became a Raiders fan forever watching Daryle Lamonica go deep repeatedly! Admittedly, forever has become life sentence but.... :)

If you love the Raiders of the '70's I recommend the book Badasses.

Stabler was way too young. :(

JustRalph
07-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Wow, only 69!

The team you loved to hate - the Raiders.
Back when football was football.

We used to get the Raiders almost every week on the late game.

Kenny was the man.
RIP

I remember bitching when the Raiders were the late game, because Blanda was the QB. Then he started to grow on me......it was like cheering for your granddad :lol: