PDA

View Full Version : Jeb Bush on American workers

jk3521
07-09-2015, 05:58 AM
Can someone explain what he's trying to say. It sounds like something his brother would say.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jeb-bush-people-work-longer-hours/story?id=32313997

Tom
07-09-2015, 07:39 AM
He's commenting on the pathetic excuse of a job situation the dems have driven us to, where people who want to work full time can't, and many people have to get second jobs.

Fact of life is you have to work to get by.

DJofSD
07-09-2015, 07:54 AM
“My aspiration for the country and I believe we can achieve it, is 4 percent growth as far as the eye can see. Which means we have to be a lot more productive, workforce participation has to rise from its all-time modern lows. It means that people need to work longer hours” and, through their productivity, gain more income for their families. That's the only way we're going to get out of this rut that we're in.”

It's double speak for wouldn't it be nice if the problems of the economy and unemployment were to magically fix themselves then I could take credit for it without having to do anything.

So get out there America and start working harder.

There, FTFY.

Robert Goren
07-09-2015, 08:05 AM
It's double speak for wouldn't it be nice if the problems of the economy and unemployment were to magically fix themselves then I could take credit for it without having to do anything.

So get out there America and start working harder.

There, FTFY.Isn't that the republican message in a nutshell? I have been hearing for years that if the government would just get out of the road, the economy would boom and there would prosperity for as far as the eye can see.

DJofSD
07-09-2015, 08:10 AM
Isn't that the republican message in a nutshell? I have been hearing for years that if the government would just get out of the road, the economy would boom and there would prosperity for as far as the eye can see.
I would not call it the Republican's message. Some that are so called Republicans might profess a laissez faire approach while others are more in the camp of the Democrats.

reckless
07-09-2015, 08:30 AM
This once-great country is quite capable of achieving 4 per cent growth rate -- especially following the failed and regressive economic policies of this ignorant and hateful President.

But, Jeb! Bush has zero credibility when it comes to both his economic acumen and his unabashed selling out to the corrupt Fortune 1000 companies and the local Chambers of Commerce, not to mention being beholden to a large, fat and ineffective federal government.

When GOP candidates -- such as Jeb!, Chris Christie and Marco Rubio -- are on record for supporting amnesty for foreign invaders, open borders and illegal and dangerous sanctuary cities, they truly do not believe, nor worst, do not know that you cannot achieve a 4 per cent GDP growth rate.

The influx of millions and millions of uneducated and cheap and unskilled labor into the workforce drives down prices, stalls productivity and lowers wages -- the three engines of growth.

These important positions exposes them as unworthy and incapable candidates for the GOP presidential nomination.

Saratoga_Mike
07-09-2015, 08:39 AM
This once-great country is quite capable of achieving 4 per cent growth rate -- especially following the failed and regressive economic policies of this ignorant and hateful President.

We would have better growth under a GOP president, but I think sustainable 4% growth is a high hurdle given the leverage in the system.

reckless
07-09-2015, 10:02 AM
We would have better growth under a GOP president, but I think sustainable 4% growth is a high hurdle given the leverage in the system.

Yeah I am with you there Mike.

The leverage in the system... do you mean personal or corporate leverage?

In the USA, every-day citizens have been lowering their debt somewhat, and there's reason to believe that's so. The rush to take vacations, unfettered shopping sprees and regular visits to restaurants as Jim Cramer said would happen when gas prices were dropping really didn't materialize -- at least as according to gurus, experts and business know-it-alls said it would.

I do know if I had too much credit card debt and 'saved' $10 with every fill up at the pump, I am sure not going to take a plane ride to the islands for a vacation or drive to a restaurant in the burbs with the savings. I am going to try to knock off my credit card balance first, with the accompanying 15-20 per cent vig. 'Real' people are much better economists and financiers than all the TV gurus and personal finance experts out there.

Corporate balance sheets have never been in better shape, too, but I am not an economist nor a CPA. As someone who regularly invests in the stock market, I know that there's been a lot of de-leveraging going on in Corporate American for many, many years now. It's not a recent phenomena but the current low and nominal interest rate environment has truly helped a lot, of course.

PaceAdvantage
07-09-2015, 10:06 AM
Can someone explain what he's trying to say. It sounds like something his brother would say.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/jeb-bush-people-work-longer-hours/story?id=32313997Love the "dumb-as-a-stump" picture they use for Jeb on that web page.

It's obvious they are employing the same photo editors they used for his brother...

jk3521
07-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Love the "dumb-as-a-stump" picture they use for Jeb on that web page.

It's obvious they are employing the same photo editors they used for his brother...
Also filmed on a cell phone camera, seemingly unaware that he was being photographed so he couldn't compose himself.

Tom
07-09-2015, 10:25 AM
He should have set up an interview with a family friend, like Hillariously did on CNN.

Clocker
07-09-2015, 10:53 AM
Jeb said:
It means that people need to work longer hours

Early reports from cities enacting large increases in their minimum wage shows that a lot of minimum wage workers are asking for cuts in their work week. The workers are finding that the higher gross pay can put them over the low income limit for some government benefits and subsidies, making their overall financial situation worse than before the wage increase.

But I guess Seattle and SF had to pass those minimum wage increases to see what was in them.