PDA

View Full Version : "Track to Track" adjustment a la Dick Schmidt??

Laminarman
07-08-2015, 09:10 AM
I'm stuck in Dick Schmidts book Pace Makes the Race on track to track adjustment. I should have photographed the page and posted it here. In his examples he talks about track class and 3 year track records and adjustments that need to be made. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out why he makes statements like "SA had a 4/5th's faster track record than Hol that year" (not sure if those tracks are what he stated I'm working from memory.) If I look at the speed variant on his examples I still don't come up with the numbers he does. Looking at his "track class" chart I still don't come up with it. And in his example races at the end of the book where you get to practice handicapping, I'm working through them before looking at this notes, and following his methods I cannot come up with his pace figures. I follow his method exactly with length adjustment and using his pace figures. I can do it for the examples earlier in the book before hitting the chapters on "Adjustment" so I think I'm losing it somewhere with this adjustment phenomenon. In that chapter he'll say "Add +4 for track-to-track" and I have no idea what the hell that means or where it came from. Sorry to be so thick. I hope someone is familiar with the book. Someone mentioned buying Brohamers book to explain it?