PDA

View Full Version : vets

bill
06-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Bush Thanks Veterans, Then Cuts Their Health Care

President Bush spent the Memorial Day weekend thanking the nation's veterans for their service,
saying "we acknowledge the debt [we owe them] by showing our respect and gratitude." [1] Yet, his rhetoric came just hours after the Bush Administration announced new plans to slash veterans health care funding if it returns to power in 2005.

Late last week, the Administration released a memo detailing a plan to cut $1 billion from the Veterans Administration [2] in the first budget of its second term. The cut would come even after the White House has tried to close veterans hospitals throughout the country, [3] and has proposed veterans health care budgets that have been criticized by veterans groups and the President's own Veterans Affairs secretary. [4] It also comes after the president decided to cut off 164,000 veterans from their existing prescription drug coverage, [5] and threatened to veto [6] any bill that would allow veterans to receive both the military pension they were promised, and any disability compensation to which they are entitled.

Secretariat
06-02-2004, 01:11 AM
It's shameful Bill...just shameful, and with a war going on.

I have gone on record disagreeing with many of this fella's policies, but this one I think is the worst.

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Lose some, win some. Under Bush I was raised from 10% VA disability to 20%. Both parties do it.

Secretariat
06-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Bill,

First bush cuts the vets...now they won't even let them leave the service after thier enrollments are up....it just keeps getting worse in worse. I really sympathize with these soldier's familes.

http://news.yahoo.com/fc?tmpl=fc&cid=34&in=us&cat=us_armed_forces

cj
06-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Stop loss program has been going on for a while, this is NOT new.

Tom
06-02-2004, 07:43 PM
Let's be fair here. Bush is not alone. We treat our heros shabbily and have been doing so for a long time. It is a national disgrace and there is no excuse for it. BushI, BushII, Clinton, all are guilty of this and it has to stop. You don't send a man (woman) out to risk their lives and then forget them later on.
If there were a vailbe candidate, I would vote agains Bush in a heartbeat on this one issue alone. I belive there will be serious consequences for these three disgusting presidents in the after life. They are just plain wrong.
:mad:

delayjf
06-03-2004, 05:43 PM
Just talked to my dad who is a retired SgtMaj in the Army. He was explaining to me how he's benefitted from the new Health care policy that now pays him for his disability. Point is, I'm getting the feeling that somethings missing in this story. I'll have to investigate this.

schweitz
06-03-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm a vet and I am not worried about it.

kenwoodallpromos
06-03-2004, 08:58 PM
If you investigate long and hard enough you will find that vets and others who depend on the govt for help get screwed if they are low income and part of the upper class.
They call it POLitics because it is a numbers game. If enough people make enough noise long and loud enough and know how to get their message out they win.
(Off topic)- That is why the ACLU got the city of Los Angeles, Ca. to remove the cross from their seal. The vets' organizations are "chartered by Congress", which means they have to kiss up to get crumbs. Govt control. The AARP is playing the game correctly.