PDA

View Full Version : Job Watch

Tom
06-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Eastman Kodak today eliminated 500 jobs in the Rochester area.
Big blow to our economy from what used to be a company of great respect. Our other major employer for years, Xerox, has been a total corporate joke for years.
Blame it on Bush?
I think not.
Corporate greed coupled with gross managment incompetence is the cause for these two once mighty giants turning into liabilities.
Funny how teamwork only flows one way with big business

Jeff P
06-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Today, while playing the Calder card from home a UPS delivery driver knocked on my door. He had a new computer from DELL for my neighbor who wasn't home and asked if I would be willing to sign for it. I did and two boxes are sitting on my living room floor awaiting my neighbor's return.

Funny, I thought DELL was an American company. The lettering on both boxes clearly says "Assembled In Mexico." LOL.

headhawg
06-01-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Jeff P
Funny, I thought DELL was an American company. The lettering on both boxes clearly says "Assembled In Mexico." LOL.

My Compaq laptop was made in China. Unfortunately, Americans can't have it both ways if Big Business is to prosper. That is, we can't have both (relatively) cheap prices on products and high wages.

Well, maybe it's possible if we can find a way to stop corporate greed.

I say good luck to that.

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Eastman Kodak today eliminated 500 jobs in the Rochester area.
Big blow to our economy from what used to be a company of great respect. Our other major employer for years, Xerox, has been a total corporate joke for years.
Blame it on Bush?
I think not.
Corporate greed coupled with gross managment incompetence is the cause for these two once mighty giants turning into liabilities.
Funny how teamwork only flows one way with big business

Tom

How much of this has to do with digital camera's and photo printers?

kenwoodallpromos
06-01-2004, 08:31 PM
A service economy.

Tom
06-01-2004, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Tom

How much of this has to do with digital camera's and photo printers?

They are getting out of the film business. that's ok, but if they have been given all kinds of tax breaks and have done an awful lot of polluitng in the area of Kodak Park. They should have more responsibility than "Oh well, that's that."

Secretariat
06-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by kenwoodallpromos
A service economy.

An outsourcing economy.

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Ex- Kodak workers should go work for sportvision installing and making the new horse timing equiptment.