PDA

View Full Version : Computer keeps freezing up...Can someone help?

trying2win
06-01-2004, 03:13 AM
During the past few days, I've had numerous occasions when my computer froze up, and I've had to reboot it. I noticed these freeze up problems started after I installed the latest version of ZONE ALARM (version no. 5.0.590.015).

The freeze ups usually happen when I click on a link. It doesn't freeze up everytime I click on a link, but way too often for my liking. When I click on the ' X ' on the upper right-hand corner of the computer screen, a dialogue box pops up and reads "END PROGRAM". So, when I click on the ' END NOW ' button, nothing further happens...the freeze up continues until I shut my computer off. Gets a little exasperating after awhile. It even froze up when I clicked on the OFF TOPIC link to get to this section to ask for help. Believe it or not!

Do I need to uninstall the latest version of ZONE ALARM and try another firewall? Or, do I need to change some of my settings in the INTERNET OPTIONS box? Would appreciate any help someone can give me?

Thanks,

T2W

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 03:18 AM
What version of Windows........

trying2win
06-01-2004, 03:31 AM
J.R.

I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks,

T2W

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 03:34 AM
uninstall.....the zone alarm.........then.......restart the computer.

When it comes back up...........click

start........run..........type in "msconfig" hit enter.

On the bottom of the app that comes up click

"launch system restore" choose "restore my computer to an earlier time" choose a date from the calendar that is prior to the install of zonealarm........or when the problems started for that matter. It will restart and cross your fingers ...........damn it's 3:30a.m. ?

trying2win
06-01-2004, 04:10 AM
Ralph,

Okay...I followed your instructions...uninstalled the latest version of ZONE ALARM etc....msconfig......Now I've restored my computer system to an earlier time.

I got a Microsoft error message stating something about a SERIOUS PROBLEM HAS OCCURED...i.e. allegedly about a device driver problem.

What I'm not sure of now is...ZONE ALARM. Okay, now I guess I've got the previous version of Z.A. installed on my machine. How come when I click on the ZONE ALARM icon at the bottom of the computer screen, that there is next-to-nothing showing on the ZONE ALARM BOX? The help function says..."unavailable". There's no control functions etc. Something doesn't seem quite right with this ZONE ALARM feature.

Thanks,

T2W

It's only about 2:09 A.M. MST in Edmonton, Alberta for us night owls out west.

Tom
06-01-2004, 08:57 AM
Ralph,
Is there similar feature on W98SE? My second computer got hit with the "DOS batch firle From Hell" Infamous_downloader.
I think I got rid of it and those nasty little programs it installed, but since, then, the whole thing is wackier than guacamole.
I thinkg it is time to go have XP put on it, but if there is one last thing to try.....maybe if I reset to Friday it will celar it up.

trying2win
06-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Ralph,

The freeze up problem on my computer seems to have abated quite nicely. Your suggestions about deleting the latest version of ZONE ALARM and continuing on with the MSCONFIG strategy have really helped. Still wondering though why the older version of ZONE ALARM now on my computer, doesn't show hardly any functions on it.

Maybe I should try another free firewall, if I can found one. Does anyone use any other firewall on their computer besides ZONE ALARM, that they could recommend?

Thanks,

T2W

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by trying2win
Ralph,

The freeze up problem on my computer seems to have abated quite nicely. Your suggestions about deleting the latest version of ZONE ALARM and continuing on with the MSCONFIG strategy have really helped. Still wondering though why the older version of ZONE ALARM now on my computer, doesn't show hardly any functions on it.

Maybe I should try another free firewall, if I can found one. Does anyone use any other firewall on their computer besides ZONE ALARM, that they could recommend?
Thanks, T2W

Here is an educated guess. The new version you put on borrowed some files from the old version and was not a completely new version in reality. You removed it and stepped back in time........and the files the older version used are now not available because you removed them when you took off the newer version............... man...that was hard to follow huh?

Uninstall zone alarm completely and buy a 39$ dollar router at Best Buy..........much better and won't screw up your operating system.

JustRalph
06-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Tom
Ralph,
Is there similar feature on W98SE? My second computer got hit with the "DOS batch firle From Hell" Infamous_downloader.
I think I got rid of it and those nasty little programs it installed, but since, then, the whole thing is wackier than guacamole.
I thinkg it is time to go have XP put on it, but if there is one last thing to try.....maybe if I reset to Friday it will celar it up.

Tom

No such thing in Win98. But......there is scanreg...(half ass version) .....usually only keeps 5 days of settings....if you have rebooted it 5 times since it screwed up (u probably have) then it won't help. Wipe it and put win98 back on it. Unless it has 256k ram and a P3 800 I don't recommend putting winxp on it.

Tom
06-02-2004, 07:46 PM
I have 900 mhz, 128 mb SDram, 32 MB video.
I was planning on buting XP OEM version and installing that. I have a guru as work with a side business that will do it for me.
You think I should upgrade the ram first, eh? What is the P# 800 ting?

JustRalph
06-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I have 900 mhz, 128 mb SDram, 32 MB video.
I was planning on buting XP OEM version and installing that. I have a guru as work with a side business that will do it for me.
You think I should upgrade the ram first, eh? What is the P# 800 ting?

Tom, P3 is the generation of processor. I never heard of a P2 900 so you probably have a p3. Yes I recommend you upgrade the ram before you add xp. Or it it will be dog slow after you get some decent apps on it.