PDA

View Full Version : CNN anchor in shootout

JustRalph
07-02-2015, 01:54 AM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/07/01/former-cnn-anchor-says-her-husband-is-her-hero-after-he-takes-out-armed-robber-with-several-well-placed-bullets/

Lynne Russell formerly of CNN (early pioneer of Headline news if my memory is right) and her husband were robbed.........held at gunpoint in hotel room...

Just another one off event........

Robert Fischer
07-02-2015, 09:00 AM
This is why we should have guns behind breakable-glass pretty much everywhere.

Do you realize how many lives we would save if people got into shootouts with robbers and criminals on a regular basis??

JustRalph
07-02-2015, 06:05 PM
This is why we should have guns behind breakable-glass pretty much everywhere.

Do you realize how many lives we would save if people got into shootouts with robbers and criminals on a regular basis??

your sarcasm being dropped into threads as a passing troll is laziness personified.

You don't like the topic........stay the **** out of the thread

Robert Fischer
07-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Ralph, there's no need for such aggressiveness. I thought these were open threads, not 'rallies', limited to like-minded individuals.

You may have your wish. I will stay out of such threads. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
07-02-2015, 06:25 PM
CNN has had her on today. Chuck de Caro, her husband is pretty badly injured but will survive. The robber is dead. You have to wonder what they had that was worth taking 3 bullets for. As is usually with a shooting, a couple inches and de Caro would be a dead hero. With so many shots fired, he has to be one lucky dude to be alive.

FantasticDan
07-02-2015, 06:34 PM
your sarcasm being dropped into threads as a passing troll is laziness personified. You don't like the topic........stay the **** out of the threadYeah everyone, unless you agree with Ralph in any of his daily dozen threads, please don't comment, or he might :( or have a :mad: :jump:

Maybe someone needs a time-out? :sleeping:

JustRalph
07-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Ralph, there's no need for such aggressiveness. I thought these were open threads, not 'rallies', limited to like-minded individuals.

You may have your wish. I will stay out of such threads. :ThmbUp:

If you want to discuss the story, no prob. This isn't the only thread where you just dropped in some sarcasm, then didn't discuss the subject.

This lady was the Face of CNN for twenty years. The facts of this event are interesting and provide for a look into the current culture and the counter culture trying to shape the meme. I find it very interesting what occurred.

This guy picked the wrong couple........

Tell you what Dan...... you and your cronies can have the board.

NJ Stinks
07-02-2015, 07:14 PM
Tell you what Dan...... you and your cronies can have the board.

The problem is I don't agree with you that we are better off if everybody is armed. There are too many unstable people walking around and it's too easy to get a gun in this country.

In short, I don't want have to either:

1. Get a gun and carry it with me all the time.

Or

2. Hope I don't run into a nut with a gun wherever I go.

Clocker
07-02-2015, 07:16 PM
You have to wonder what they had that was worth taking 3 bullets for.

Their lives?

FantasticDan
07-02-2015, 07:34 PM
Tell you what Dan...you and your cronies can have the board.Thanks, but my cronies and I have better things to do. :cool:

Tom
07-02-2015, 09:01 PM
Tell you what Dan, ISIS has said they are looking for soft targets with lots of people and not much security. why don't yo go enjoy the weekend if a GUN-FREE zone? :eek: ;)

But now, with the law clarified, soon all 50 states are going to have to allow concealed weapons to be carried. America will become stronger with the right packing heat. Maybe the left will even think first before they talk......just sayin'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Goren
07-02-2015, 11:31 PM
Their lives?He probably was not going to kill them, if they gave up whatever they had that he wanted. The authorities are not saying they just solved a dozen murders, a dozen robberies maybe. People who give their money peacefully to armed robbers are seldom killed. That is why most business forbid the employees from being armed on the job. The five parking companies I worked for stated in their handbooks that only off duty law enforcement employees that were our employees were allowed to carry a gun. During the over 20 years I worked in the parking business, Not one garage I was even remotely connected with was robbed by an armed robber. The companies had plenty of money stolen from them( I am guess the number to close $100k. Three times over $5k and none of it was recovered.), but it was always by an employee or an ex employee.

Clocker
07-02-2015, 11:46 PM
He probably was not going to kill them, if they gave up whatever they had that he wanted.

By all accounts, the bad guy fired first. He probably was going to kill them.

Anyone that has ever had any competent self-defense training knows that as soon as you perceive a deadly threat, you respond with equally deadly force until the threat is neutralized. And a deadly force response is justified based solely on your perception. That is common sense, and it is the law in all but the most ignorant, moonbat, politically correct jurisdictions.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/us/new-mexico-motel-shooting/

Robert Goren
07-03-2015, 12:09 AM
By all accounts, the bad guy fired first. He probably was going to kill them.

Anyone that has ever had any competent self-defense training knows that as soon as you perceive a deadly threat, you respond with equally deadly force until the threat is neutralized. And a deadly force response is justified based solely on your perception. That is common sense, and it is the law in all but the most ignorant, moonbat, politically correct jurisdictions.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/us/new-mexico-motel-shooting/There is only one account. The bad guy is telling no tales. Even they are not claiming that shooting started before de Caro pulled out his gun. There is no reason to believe if they had handed over what he demanded that anyone would have been shot. Both de Caro and Russell are very lucky that their brandishing that gun did not get them killed. I think most armed robbers are going to shoot at the first sight of gun. If what Russell is saying is true (and there is no reason at this point to believe it isn't), if the robber had been just a little better shot, de Caro would never have got a shot off. So it basically comes down to two things. 1. Do you believe the robber is going to kill you if you give him what he wants. And 2. What are your chances in a shoot out? I repeat from I have observed over the years, very, very few armed robbers kill their victims. It has been years since that has happened in Lincoln. But there is no shortage of all night convenience stores that get rob here.

Clocker
07-03-2015, 12:22 AM
There is no reason to believe if they had handed over what he demanded that anyone would have been shot.

They believed it at the time. And they are both alive. And their belief is all that counts, in reality and in the courts.

Robert Goren
07-03-2015, 12:35 AM
They believed it at the time. And they are both alive. And their belief is all that counts, in reality and in the courts.The courts don't matter in this case. Like I said before, they are really lucky to be alive. I believe most people who try what they tried ended up dead or at least more seriously injured.

Clocker
07-03-2015, 12:54 AM
The courts don't matter in this case. Like I said before, they are really lucky to be alive. I believe most people who try what they tried ended up dead or at least more seriously injured.

You are Monday morning quarterbacking. You weren't there and you don't know anything about the interaction between the people involved. And at the risk of jumping to conclusions, I would guess you have not been through firearms training.

Those people were armed and they were trained in firearms self-defense. They are the only ones whose judgement matters, and they are alive.

Robert Goren
07-03-2015, 01:13 AM
You are Monday morning quarterbacking. You weren't there and you don't know anything about the interaction between the people involved. And at the risk of jumping to conclusions, I would guess you have not been through firearms training.

Those people were armed and they were trained in firearms self-defense. They are the only ones whose judgement matters, and they are alive.I was trained in fire arms use for a small county deputy sheriff's job which I never took back in the late 1970s. I took a job running a bar instead. More money. I am not an expert on self defense by any means despite that limited training.
But by being in retail for many years, I have pretty good idea of what chances of ending up dead are if you just hand over the money. To me a shoot out especially one where you don't get off the first shot is a very if situation even if you are well trained. De Caro is badly wounded but will survive. He may have life changing injuries though from what I have heard. He did not come out this unscathed as you seem to imply.

Tom
07-03-2015, 09:48 AM
There is only one account. The bad guy is telling no tales.

then where are you getting all this BS from? :D

Rule number one - someone points a gun at you, you KILL them. End of story.

rastajenk
07-03-2015, 11:33 AM
I don't remember this woman on CNN. I should, she seems to have incredible rackage. :eek:

dartman51
07-03-2015, 01:13 PM
There is only one account. The bad guy is telling no tales. Even they are not claiming that shooting started before de Caro pulled out his gun. There is no reason to believe if they had handed over what he demanded that anyone would have been shot. Both de Caro and Russell are very lucky that their brandishing that gun did not get them killed. I think most armed robbers are going to shoot at the first sight of gun. If what Russell is saying is true (and there is no reason at this point to believe it isn't), if the robber had been just a little better shot, de Caro would never have got a shot off. So it basically comes down to two things. 1. Do you believe the robber is going to kill you if you give him what he wants. And 2. What are your chances in a shoot out? I repeat from I have observed over the years, very, very few armed robbers kill their victims. It has been years since that has happened in Lincoln. But there is no shortage of all night convenience stores that get rob here.

Do you realize just how stupid that sounds? You can't read the robbers mind, unless you're MoPo. If the robber decided to kill them, so as not to leave any witnesses, it would be a little late to pull you own gun at that point. :faint:

dartman51
07-03-2015, 01:28 PM
I don't remember this woman on CNN. I should, she seems to have incredible rackage. :eek:

She does look pretty good for 68. :ThmbUp:

Dahoss2002
07-04-2015, 03:41 AM
He probably was not going to kill them, if they gave up whatever they had that he wanted. The authorities are not saying they just solved a dozen murders, a dozen robberies maybe. People who give their money peacefully to armed robbers are seldom killed.

I would not bet my life on that

Steve 'StatMan'
07-04-2015, 10:46 AM
Agree, I would absolutely not bet my life on that. Had a co-worker who's half-brother was murdered. Woman pretended that her car broke down. The guy stopped to help, she shot him dead and took his money to bail her druggie boyfriend out of jail.

Robert Goren
07-04-2015, 06:46 PM
I would not bet my life on thatYou are betting your life on that you will get off the first shot and that the robber is a terrible shot and that he is not going to lucky and hit you anyway. Sure he might kill even if you don't resist. But it far from a far gone conclusion that it will end well if you do. I happen to think the odds are in favor of not resisting and I think most cops will tell you the same. If you haven't had real fire arms training, you have a better chance of winning the Powerball than you have with pulling a gun on an armed robber and coming out unscathed . de Caro had gun training and he still took 3 bullets.

Tom
07-04-2015, 07:10 PM
Enough of this nonsense- who the HELL are YOU to make any decision for anyone else?

We have a constitutional right to keep and bear arms and to protect ourselves as we see fit.

Deal with it.

Clocker
07-04-2015, 07:19 PM
Enough of this nonsense- who the HELL are YOU to make any decision for anyone else?

It is inane to try to second guess the judgement of the guy that was there. No one else can know the details of what was actually happening and what his read on the bad guy was.

davew
07-04-2015, 07:46 PM
This was an armed robbery, plain and simple.

If guns were illegal, only the robber would have had a gun.

Tom
07-04-2015, 07:56 PM
This is what Bobby wants - a large gun free zone where only criminals have guns.

Gun free zones is a stupid idea by stupid people.