PDA

View Full Version : Can Kentuckian go nine furlongs at Los Alamitos?

letswastemoney
07-01-2015, 11:48 PM
Well, this is a race to just watch. But it is my next article. Can he go two turns and nine furlongs?

Kentuckian Looks Special in Los Alamitos Derby (https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/13051/kentuckian-looks-special-in-los-alamitos-derby.html)

His dam only won sprints, and was beaten quite badly in the 2003 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies. But, Tiznow is an excellent route influence. Tough call.

nijinski
07-02-2015, 02:43 AM
Well, this is a race to just watch. But it is my next article. Can he go two turns and nine furlongs?

Kentuckian Looks Special in Los Alamitos Derby (https://www.ladyandthetrack.com/news/13051/kentuckian-looks-special-in-los-alamitos-derby.html)

His dam only won sprints, and was beaten quite badly in the 2003 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies. But, Tiznow is an excellent route influence. Tough call.

He looks like a nice colt and of course we won't know about distance limitations until he tries .
He's working forwardly towards this and I like his chances .
I would also look to his broodmare sire , Unbridleds Song . He's
sired multiple stakes winners at nine furlongs .

Pensacola Pete
07-03-2015, 02:49 AM
The horse will be looking for a place to lay down by the eighth pole, in my opinion. I wouldn't put a dime on him.

Dan Montilion
07-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Given enough time.

Robert Fischer
07-03-2015, 01:00 PM
9F should help him, because he will be naturally close to the pace without having to be kept busy.

Looks like a couple decent rivals, but Kentuckian is a deserving favorite.

I'm far from certain about tactics in this race, but one possibility is that Baffert will have Garcia try to wire the field w/ the 2.

ultracapper
07-03-2015, 08:14 PM
The horse will be looking for a place to lay down by the eighth pole, in my opinion. I wouldn't put a dime on him.

I'm with you. I'll be running away from this one as fast as I can. I don't see him getting there.

letswastemoney
07-04-2015, 09:01 PM
The answer has to be no after watching that.

Robert Fischer
07-04-2015, 09:48 PM
The answer has to be no after watching that.

I had wondered aloud whether or not the 2 Gimme Da Lute would have a slight tactical advantage w/ Martin Garcia carrying a lead into the stretch and forcing Smith to ask Kentuckian for a bit of a drive...

Looked like they played a little cat and mouse, with Mike Smith grabbing the lead out of the gate, in effect taking away that little bit of tactical issue. Garcia did a good job of not dueling and simply saving ground around the 1st turn and hanging close.

However, the tactics became moot when Kentuckian flattened out badly late.

plainolebill
07-05-2015, 02:45 AM
That was bad. If the field had been a little deeper he'd have been off the board, as it was he was only 3/4 of a length in front of a 50k claimer.