PDA

View Full Version : Rooting For Smarty To Lose

DeoVolente
05-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Maybe I should root for Smarty Pants to lose the Belmont. I think I will put the jinx, and kibosh on smarty!! And you read that right - I don't want him to win the Triple Crown undefeated. That's Seattle Slew's domain! And then suppose he STAYS undefeated? There is no way this horse is better than Seattle Slew! And I don't like the idea that the first horse to break the $10 million mark does it with $10 million in bonus money either. There's a lot about this that rubs me wrong.

This is blasphemy, but I have to do it!!

KingChas
05-31-2004, 09:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeoVolente
[B]Maybe I should root for Smarty Pants to lose the Belmont. I think I will put the jinx, and kibosh on smarty!!

I requested a song for you on the radio,just for you "BORN TO LOSE"!

CryingForTheHorses
05-31-2004, 09:53 PM
Wow 10 million is a lot of money! There is always someone who hates to see someone do good...I think you are one of them someones..GO_Smarty_Go:cool:

PaceAdvantage
06-01-2004, 12:44 AM
There are plenty of ways this horse could be better than Seattle Slew. There's always going to be someone or something better. Always....

Just ask Roger Maris. Or Babe Ruth.

PS. Jinxes don't work....

NoDayJob
06-01-2004, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage

PS. Jinxes don't work....

Mon, I gots me voodoo doll of Smarty right here. Jus a few mo pins should do it, mon. Good Luck Smarty.

NDJ

Hosshead
06-01-2004, 03:53 AM
Too late. The "PINS" excuse was already used by Buddy Delp.

kenwoodallpromos
06-01-2004, 04:02 AM
"Just ask Babe Ruth... Jinxes don't work. You put those 2 statements in the same post? I'd like Suff's or any Bosox fan's opinion...

KingChas
06-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Being serious , we can see how hard it is to win the Triple Crown.I don't see how a New TC winner could tarnish any of the past triple crown winners.The greatest of the TC winners debate will go on for generations.I have been lucky enough to see 3 so far.(70's).Would like to see another.Still hold Big Red-Slew- and Affirmed in high esteem.Always Will.Money won will always be higher as TV ADs etc. continue to grow.If Slew's owners would have rested him after TC campaign who knows how long he would have stayed undefeated.If Big Red ran at 4 -wow turf and dirt.These things we will never know.

Turf2Dirt
06-01-2004, 08:27 AM
The only thing seperating Majestic Prince from Seattle Slew is Arts and Letters!

and in 10 years when all tracks have slots, all previous earnings records will be made a mockery of.

melman
06-01-2004, 10:28 AM
Debate about how good a horse is has been going on for a long long time and is part of the fun of the game. I remember very well that Andy Beyer was a big "anti-Seatle Slew" guy. He made many comments about Slew's lack of "numbers". I think that because we keep adding horses or people to the Hall of Fame does not detract from the ones that are already there. I have Smarty down as a great one already not because of his money won (to much bonus and inflated dollars involved) or his speed "figs" (which by the Beyers are OK and by the Raggies are great) but by the fact that he is undeated after eight races and has never been passed. Also have no problem with someone who does not agree with my view after all that is horse racing. BTW my top three of all time are 1 Big Red 2 Dr Fager 3 "The Bid". Sorry older folks was not around to see the great ones like Citation Man of War Kelso and many others.

KingChas
06-02-2004, 01:13 AM
I have Smarty down as a great one already not because of his money won (to much bonus and inflated dollars involved) or his speed "figs" (which by the Beyers are OK and by the Raggies are great)

Melman let us know asap what the rags are saying for the Belmont.I only have Smarty on a 2 race up(Improvement Coming).Iknow they were expecting a bounce for Preakness.

melman
06-02-2004, 09:33 AM
King, Smarty was in the very low number area before but with the Preakness went into the "minus" area. A super area to be in. I expect another forward move but we will all see on Saturday. BTW on local TV Billy Turner was interviewed and stated he hopes that Smarty Jones "never loses a race" and loves the look of the horse. Said he saw the same type thing with the Slew. Nice man and not in the least bit upset with any comparisons.

John
06-02-2004, 10:27 AM
AS I said before, the thing that might make Smarty lose, is he has never raced at Belmont and no horse has every won the Triple crown unless he had raced over the Belmont track previously.[PERIOD]

bdhsheets
06-02-2004, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Turf2Dirt
[B]The only thing seperating Majestic Prince from Seattle Slew is Arts and Letters!

Sorry, but Majestic was injured in the Preakness. They announced they were passing the Belmont, but under pressure from the New York racing establishment the owner changed his mind a few days later. Johnny Longden, the trainer, had a shouting match with him to no avail. MJ ran a gallant 2nd, beaten 5 1/2 lengths and never raced again.

bdhsheets
06-02-2004, 11:16 AM
Looking at the Thorograph data, Smarty Jones has run seven races with figs better than the lifetime bests of all the propective entrants in the Belmont other than Purge. He should have bounced to the moon many races ago, but is a freak of nature. His sheet looks more like a four or five year old. Perhaps the rigors of his majaestic run will finally take its toll Saturday. I'm hoping it doesn't. It would be great for racing, which needs all the help it can get.

kenwoodallpromos
06-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Runners with steady pace bounce less.