PDA

View Full Version : Why did V. Espinoza ride Hard Aces?

JustRalph
06-27-2015, 10:48 PM
I find it a little odd that he jumped to Hard Aces in the Gold Cup.

In watching the replay, it looks like Hopportunity might have run the best race, getting 2nd by a hair.

What did he know?

Some_One
06-27-2015, 10:52 PM
Why would he ride Hoppy?

moneyandland
06-27-2015, 10:59 PM
What? He's ridden him last 3 times all within a few lengths of Catch A Flight and Moreno,The 1st and 3rd betting choices respectively. The only other horse in the race he's ridden regularly is Finnegans Wake who had no dirt success? Who else would he ride?

Robert Fischer
06-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Did Mike Smith get called aboard FW to try to wake that one up, or did Espinoza make the call to Hard Aces?

Probably Espinoza's call.

That was a good ride today. Well-timed start of the move behind that dream pace setup, and then diving down inside was really contrasted by Hoppertunity/Garcia's wide move.

JustRalph
06-27-2015, 11:31 PM
Did Mike Smith get called aboard FW to try to wake that one up, or did Espinoza make the call to Hard Aces?

Probably Espinoza's call.

That was a good ride today. Well-timed start of the move behind that dream pace setup, and then diving down inside was really contrasted by Hoppertunity/Garcia's wide move.

This summarizes my ?

Why did he jump from FW? I would think with the roll he's on, he could have had any of the three. But leaving FW I find odd....

Tall One
06-27-2015, 11:36 PM

Horse was rolling, but looked like he could've lost him on the turn.

nijinski
06-28-2015, 12:31 AM
Most of FW's lifetime earnings are on grass . Victor might have known
the 2 was sitting on an improved race with a slightly younger fresher
horse also ....
Victor has not been Hops rider either , he's beaten him with Chrome .

JustRalph
06-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Most of FW's lifetime earnings are on grass . Victor might have known
the 2 was sitting on an improved race with a slightly younger fresher
horse also ....
Victor has not been Hops rider either , he's beaten him with Chrome .

I noticed that FW was a turf horse, but I guess you have to chalk it up to Victor making a very good decision. I guess Victor has the luxury of making those moves, he's banked a ton this year, why not?

nijinski
06-28-2015, 01:15 AM
I noticed that FW was a turf horse, but I guess you have to chalk it up to Victor making a very good decision. I guess Victor has the luxury of making those moves, he's banked a ton this year, why not?

Yes he does , not too shabby last year too :) ,

Donttellmeshowme
06-28-2015, 11:04 AM
FW strictly a turf horse, him and his agent did there homework.

GMB@BP
06-28-2015, 01:02 PM
I think you guys are giving way to much credit to these riders.

There are many things that could have happened, FW could have been a late edition after VE took the call on Hard Aces.

For that matter Hoppurtunity could have been a late edition after running two weeks ago after Smith took the call on FW.

I mean there are many reasons why one rider could have ended up on a horse.

Donttellmeshowme
06-28-2015, 03:17 PM

There are many things that could have happened, FW could have been a late edition after VE took the call on Hard Aces.

For that matter Hoppurtunity could have been a late edition after running two weeks ago after Smith took the call on FW.

Yep u are correct...

Valuist
06-28-2015, 03:40 PM
I remember about 20 years ago I owned a filly along with a friend and she had won huge over 7500 NW3 at Hawthorne. It was December so we knew the FNW1X were very weak. We felt we had a strong shot at the win. Mark Guidry rode our filly when it won the 7500 NW3 but he jumped to another filly, who ended up being favored. We were 20-1 and led every jump until the final one, when Guidry's horse nailed us at the wire by a nose. My friend looks at me after the race and says, "I guess Guidry and (Dennis) Cooper (Guidry's agent at the time) knew."

JustRalph
06-28-2015, 04:16 PM

every once in a while, somebody on this board will know the answer. And by that I mean the real answer straight from the horses mouth.......so I asked.