PDA

View Full Version : Coney Island comes to San Diego

DJofSD
06-24-2015, 01:37 PM
http://www.sdmart.org/art/exhibit/coney-island

But will they be selling those Nathan hot dogs is the big question.

TJDave
06-24-2015, 04:04 PM
But will they be selling those Nathan hot dogs is the big question.

You can get them in most major grocery chains. Average at best. The best dogs come from Chicago...Vienna.

OTM Al
06-24-2015, 04:04 PM
I live on what was once called Coney Island, though it long ago ceased to be an island. The part called Coney Island now is just a small piece of what once not only had the great amusement areas to the west but also a racetrack and resort hotels on the other end of the island. Sounds like the exhibit is pretty much going to focus on the original Steeplechase Park, Luna Park, and the fabled Dreamland, which is what most associate with Coney Island now.

OTM Al
06-24-2015, 04:05 PM
You can get them in most major grocery chains. Average at best. The best dogs come from Chicago...Vienna.

They taste entirely different at the original Nathan's. Had Chicago dogs and they are on par.

Tom
06-24-2015, 04:09 PM
So now you live on a "phony coney island?" :rolleyes:

OTM Al
06-24-2015, 04:14 PM
So now you live on a "phony coney island?" :rolleyes:

Over time they backfilled the tidal creek that separated it from the mainland. I'm right on the bay on the east side and when the tide is down, you can see the pipes they put in to let the water continue to flow underground. My neighborhood on the east end is now called Manhattan Beach. The middle part of the old island is now called Brighton Beach though the track that was east of where I live was called Brighton as well, so even that name has moved around a bit. Coney is now the west end of the old island.

TJDave
06-24-2015, 04:16 PM
They taste entirely different at the original Nathan's.

They are better there but not much, IMO. For a real NY dog I prefer Sabrett's. Although I probably wouldn't buy one off a cart.

OTM Al
06-24-2015, 04:19 PM
They are better there but not much, IMO. For a real NY dog I prefer Sabrett's. Although I probably wouldn't buy one off a cart.

Just say no to street meat.

I find the Sabretts kind of run of the mill. You have to watch what you buy though. They sell a few different kinds (of both brands) in stores. The cheap ones are bad, but the good ones made from beef are much better.